• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Persona is about as mainstream anime as it gets. I'm not sure it's a good comparison.
It's still not exactly known by anyone, lol.

People are gettin' waaaay too hooked on the idea that TGA means "Big western character!" when the only character you could maybe make a case for being that so far is Banjo.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Morrigan could be cool for a plenty of reasons but a fighter character after another and the Mai issue make her a really weird choice.
Obviously fake btw, 4chan guarantee.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I mean, it took until 5 to get mainstream, 3 and 4 were still pretty niche
If 4 is niche, then every single JRPG on this planet are ancient wall scribblings.

We got 8 years of spinoffs for that one game, so yeah I'm gonna say pre-P5, it's as mainstream as JRPGs could possbily get.

cothero

Smash Lord
So, a little update of the deconfimation list (it's getting huge):

Ryu Hayabusa
Geno
Doomguy
Scorpion
Crash Bandicoot
Gordon Freeman
Ezio Auditore
Dante
Tracer
Lloyd Irving
Nippon Ichi Software characters
Falcom characters
Ubisoft characters
Level-5 characters
Bandai Namco characters

Did i forget anyone?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be honest I think the cleavage censorship would be for the ESRB.
That's possible. Morrigan appears superdeformed but nonetheless well-endowed and revealing in those puzzle fighter games, which are rated E, but then again, Mai did something similar.

Every time someone says this, I immediately think to myself that Persona sure is my favorite major western franchise.
Let's not pretend that Touhou and Persona are comparably niche.

D

Deleted member

Morrigan could be cool for a plenty of reasons but a fighter character after another and the Mai issue make her a really weird choice.
Obviously fake btw, 4chan guarantee.
Wait...just got back. Where's this 4chan post? Curious.

aarod

Smash Rookie
Persona is about as mainstream anime as it gets. I'm not sure it's a good comparison.
Americans gamers are somewhat familiar with Persona but Touhou Project? Um, no.

I think Reimu has a decent chance of getting in eventually but The Game Awards is not the place to reveal her.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Let's not pretend that Touhou and Persona are comparably niche.
Of course they aren't comparable, I totally agree with that. However, my point moreso is that people are getting too hung up on the idea of "It's gotta be big!" when history has proven that they'll show whoever they want, whenever they want. TGA being a western event won't stop them from revealing a niche character.

Case in point, Nintendo is the same company that showed off playable Cranky Kong for TF at TGA in the past. Nintendo marches to the beat of their own drum, and uses any major event to pretty much show off anything.

Last edited:

aarod

Smash Rookie
Of course they aren't comparable, I totally agree with that. However, my point moreso is that people are getting too hung up on the idea of "It's gotta be big!" when history has proven that they'll show whoever they want, whenever they want. TGA being a western event won't stop them from revealing a niche character.
It would at least help if the western audience had even heard of the character or game they're from if they're going to announce it at a western event.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Three things:

1. A lot of redesigns I can think of tend to be cuter and/or straight up more sensible/practical than the original. That is, if I'm even aware of any differences. Also... It's gotten noticeably better nowadays, but the industry needs to quit designing awesome women in a way that bans them from appearing in anything under a T rating simply for existing. The 'good boys and girls' thing highlights a problem I pointed out in a different topic long before Mai was ever banned.

2. Morrigan would be dope. We got 2 awesome RPG characters back to back, I wouldn't mind if it happened with fighters. Darkstalkers is way different from Fatal Fury/KoF. It's basically an OG anime fighter.

3. All this talk about the VGAs reminded a sista about Sayonara Wild Hearts. I really need to jump on that. I forgot it came out. D:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As I missed the Darkstalkers discussion a bit, knowing I'm a big Morrigan supporter (and the only passionate one in this thread), this looks lile something I'd pocket.

3i4wy1.jpg

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Broke: Morrigan won't get in because of boobies bad.
Woke: Morrigan won't get in because Capcom treats Darkstalkers like Nintendo treats F-Zero.

D

Deleted member

Woke: Morrigan won't get in because Capcom treats Darkstalkers like Nintendo treats F-Zero.
Lol can't wait for Captain Falcon to show up in her trailer for the lols

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
It would at least help if the western audience had even heard of the character or game they're from if they're going to announce it from a western event.
Its bad to generalise all american gamers into one group and say "they never heard of it". Touhou is notorious for its Soundtrack and many are at least familiar with the characters from memes or hearing the soundtrack. Heck, "U.N. owen was he" or "bad apple" on Youtube have millions of views and youtube is mainly used by westerners. Again, "only" millions might not be much but Americans don't live in a bubble. Of course Touhou is no as widely known as Persona, thats not my point, but saying that its so obscure that no one has heard about is, is also kinda wrong.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Coked: Morrigan will get in BECAUSE Capcom treats Darkstalkers like Nintendo treats F-Zero (ie dead in every way except for being in Smash)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Exactly.

Capcom has a treasure trove of dead franchises that they may or may not revive at any point in time, (and will inevitably put into Street Fighter V as costumes)

case in point, Darkstalkers:
Yeah, this was 7 years ago.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Why does anyone think that VGA’s mean massive western popularity? What basically happened at Nintendo was that they gathered a list of characters and allowed Sakurai to chose them, one by one.

aarod

Smash Rookie
Yeah not buying that. Chun Li would get into Smash before Morrigan, if not for Cero issues then because Chun Li is considered the First Lady of fighting games.
The other information in the post on SFV characters and a new dark stalkers game are also dubious at best.
If only Chun-Li didn't already have a spirit in the game.

D

Deleted member

Welp, you guys take over from here with Darkstalkers. I'mma just digest this leak and tell whether it's real or fake. Though more leaning in fake, because we all know Smash is for good boys and girls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If 4 is niche, then every single JRPG on this planet are ancient wall scribblings.

We got 8 years of spinoffs for that one game, so yeah I'm gonna say pre-P5, it's as mainstream as JRPGs could possbily get.
Persona 4 wasn't nearly as booming as P5 was when it came out, which is moreso my point

Also lol at people acting like Morrigan's issue is cleavage when Mai's issue was absolutely possible panty shots

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah not buying that. Chun Li would get into Smash before Morrigan, if not for Cero issues then because Chun Li is considered the First Lady of fighting games.
The other information in the post on SFV characters and a new dark stalkers game are also dubious at best.
SEGA got Bayo and Joker before another Sonic character, so I think you can make a good case for adding new franchises being a bigger priority than just putting in more characters from big ones.

Yeah, we got Ken but he was an echo, so he didn't get in over anyone.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Exactly.

Capcom has a treasure trove of dead franchises that they may or may not revive at any point in time, (and will inevitably put into Street Fighter V as costumes)

case in point, Darkstalkers:

Yeah, this was 7 years ago.
SFV had a whole costume pack dedicated to Darkstalkers so I dunno about the F-Zero comparison. I think it's moreso Capcom is just allergic to making good fighting games atm

Still waiting on my goddamn Capcom All Stars game

D

Deleted member

Umm...guys? Is this thing real? If so, what coukd this mean for the Phoenix fans?

Just popped up on my notifs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
SFV had a whole costume pack dedicated to Darkstalkers so I dunno about the F-Zero comparison. I think it's moreso Capcom is just allergic to making good fighting games atm

Still waiting on my goddamn Capcom All Stars game
lol yeah I said that: "and will inevitably be added to SFV as costumes"
Capcom just has like half a dozen fighting games they reference a bunch but don't actually intend to use.

Umm...guys? Is this thing real? If so, what coukd this mean for the Phoenix fans?

The quote itself is real.
What it means is up to interpretation.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

This is very old, I never thought it meant anything beyond Kamiya being Kamiya. After all, there's no reason for Takumi to break an NDA, much less for Kamiya to reveal it publicly if he did. It just resurfaced because of people trying to take down the king.

However, it gaining traction could lead to Vergeben disconfirming Phoenix, so something of actual interest might come out of this.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
By “people” I think you mean “hardcore Smash fans”.

SMRPG wasn’t a mainline Mario game, it was a spin-off. Besides, Sheik has been in every Smash since Melee and has been in Hyrule Warriors for Wii U and the Complete Edition for Switch so she’s had more recent appearances.

No I mean donkey Kong country fans love k Rool not much different than Mario fans liking bowser or Zelda fans liking ganondorf.

D

Deleted member

However, it gaining traction could lead to Vergeben disconfirming Phoenix, so something of actual interest might come out of this.
We are now at a time period when Vegreben just deconfirms and doesn't reveal. How sweet

osby

Smash Obsessed
We are now at a time period when Vegreben just deconfirms and doesn't reveal. How sweet
It seems like not many people know who FP5 is and that makes insiders/leakers reluctant to reveal their hand because it's very risky.

There's not much anyone can do until a reveal gets closer and more people learn about it.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Considering we're less than 2 weeks away from knowing who FP5 is I'm starting to wonder if they'll even get leaked at all as the last TGA Smash reveal was protected by leakbait
Sabi said that VR Plant might leak a day or two before TGA.
But at this point, **** it. Either one of the supposedly deconfirmed characters was falsely deconfirmed, or Nintendo pulls a fast one.
At this point, who's left that ISN'T left field?
Watch it be Kratos. PlayStation is in the Smash Tourney after all.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Why are there so many,
Character disconfirms?
Do their sources even know?
Leakers could lie to us,
Fighting for internet cred,
Though we’re sure they’re not that low...
So we’ve been told and so we just,
Believe it,
Even though they hide most things...

Someday we’ll find it,
The Fighter 5 connection...
The lovers, the memers, and meeee...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sabi said that VR Plant might leak a day or two before TGA.
But at this point, **** it. Either one of the supposedly deconfirmed characters was falsely deconfirmed, or Nintendo pulls a fast one.
At this point, who's left that ISN'T left field?
Watch it be Kratos. PlayStation is in the Smash Tourney after all.
No, Sony's the one who was in that Smash tourney and it wasn't the gaming division

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Why are there so many,
Character disconfirms?
Do their sources even know?
Leakers could lie to us,
Fighting for internet cred,
Though we’re sure they’re not that low...
So we’ve been told and so we just,
Believe it,
Even though they hide most things...

Someday we’ll find it,
The Fighter 5 connection...
The lovers, the memers, and meeee...
I did the math yesterday, and if you take any SINGLE deconfirmation from Sabi and/or Vergeben as 90% reliable, by the law of compound probability, the chance of ALL FOURTEEN deconfirmations being accurate is 23%.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Reimu is not FP5 because she wouldn't fit for the Game Award.
And after that, she'll be treated as deconfirmed entirely because she wasn't FP5.

I.D.

Smash Lord
It seems like not many people know who FP5 is and that makes insiders/leakers reluctant to reveal their hand because it's very risky.
Maybe but you'd think deconfirming increasingly large amounts of candidates on a semi-daily basis is not that much safer.

Honestly at this point I'm just wondering how exactly one can know that the character isn't this many things and yet somehow still not know who the character is, or at least know where the character comes from. Your "source" tells you that it's not Scorpion or Doomguy, yeah whatever, I can swallow that. But when your "source" gives you a damned laundry list of things that the character is not the "I don't want to compromise my source" excuse starts to look flimsier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom