• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm not sure how that puts Shantae over Reimu. Both would be pretty fun to play as, so I imagine the one that has a stronger connection to Sakurai (based on circumstantial evidence) would win out. I said absolutely nothing about recognizability. Also there's no precedent over whether spirits deconfirm characters or not, so the jury's still out there.

And what indication is there Sakurai would rather have Steve over Banjo? Has he talked about Minecraft before, and if so, in a way that suggested he cared about it more than Banjo.
Sakurai likes Minecraft and has spoken about it multiple times.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I can see one of two scenarios happen at VGAs due peoples current speculations.

1. It'll be a character that is either previously deconfirmed or one most people have written off or find unlikely to be #5(Dante, Sol badguy, Reimu, etc), making them appear to be out of left field from everyone.

2. No one will be revealed at all, causing people to rage or be disappointed.

I can see one of those two happening.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Assuming this 4chan text leak is even true, I want to be excited for this... but this could just end up being another Darkstalkers Resurrection case, where Capcom tries rereleasing the old games, they don't sell well, and then Capcom uses that as an excuse to not make a new game.
I mean, it wouldn't be surprising if it was, considering we have the Megaman and Megaman X Legacy collections and the Capcom Beat-em Up Collection. Another one wouldn't be surprising. That said, isn't there already a Darkstalkers Collection technically? Aside from Resurrection, wasn't there Chaos Tower and that JP-only PS2 game?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
bland doesnt disqualify characters. i mean out of all Street fighter canon we got mr. bland himself. there are more than 10 SF characters i'd rather have than ryu or ken but its about who serves the franchise best.
Sure, I didn't say that I think it'd be someone else over her, just that I'd rather have someone else over her.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah Morrigan ain’t happening lmao

unlike Bayonetta and ZSS she has dem jiggle physics which is for Bad Boys And Girls Only and covering the cleavage won’t fix that

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

unlike Bayonetta and ZSS she has dem jiggle physics which is for Bad Boys And Girls Only and covering the cleavage won’t fix that
And Chun-Li should get in first anyway. It would just be weird to have Morrigan without her, the same way it would've been weird to have Mai without her.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
So let's take a look at some of the more notable candidates who are still alive before we get yet another surprise deconfirmation, in no particular order:
  • Sora
  • Sol Badguy
  • Reimu
  • Sakura
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Nintendo character (Three Houses/Astral Chain rep)
  • Other
Out of anyone in this list, how would you guys rate them from most likely to least likely for the FP #5 spot?
For me I think
Reimu
Other
Nintendo character
Phoenix Wright
Sakura
Sol
Sora

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I mean the animations. The jumping looks god awful.
Here’s another example:

I don’t think he’ll actually jump while dashing, he’ll just sprint and maybe leave particles behind him, but this does show a real jumping animation and others.

There’s a different dash animation in this video but eh idk:
https://youtu.be/gmslVkfF6pg

And here’s a couple of official trailers with animations that could work:

https://youtu.be/mJczpIdONjs
https://youtu.be/ICi2cjdzN1I

I'm not sure how that puts Shantae over Reimu. Both would be pretty fun to play as, so I imagine the one that has a stronger connection to Sakurai (based on circumstantial evidence) would win out. I said absolutely nothing about recognizability. Also there's no precedent over whether spirits deconfirm characters or not, so the jury's still out there.

And what indication is there Sakurai would rather have Steve over Banjo? Has he talked about Minecraft before, and if so, in a way that suggested he cared about it more than Banjo.
He had an article or interview thing about Minecraft, and has said other things that show how much he loves it, like being surprised it was overtaken on the Western eShop as the #1 best seller, and he has done Minecraft stuff with others before I think.

Here’s the interview/article thing:
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2018/...mple-actions-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-535/

Steve could either be in the Minecraft story mode art direction with more movement, emotions and bendable arms and legs or the stiff classic minecraft style. I think Sakurai would go with the classic style with humor
I think classic or Dungeons would be best (I guess Dungeons is basically the classic style anyway, just with more detail).

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It's been said before, but there's not much point discussing 4chan text leaks. Any one of us could go on 4chan right now and have a "leak" typed up and posted in less than thirty seconds. Text leaks are only interesting retrospectively.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean the animations. The jumping looks god awful.
That's because it's not animated. lol

Keep in mind that while this is amazing for a fan made thing, the official animations would put this to shame if for nothing else then better posing.

I mean...You could just not jiggle the boobs. (Also I don't think she actually uses jiggle physics that much.)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
One of the problems might also be Jokers reveal setting a prescedent. His reveal was a bomb and people are now expecting a similar mind blowing act. I wouldn't be so sure about that. Especially as we might even see no smash content at all only to have Nintendo announce the next Nintendo direct on twitter in a few days or something.
Yeah, Nintendo is a company that seems perfectly willing to subvert expectations, often to the ire of the fans. I mean many people were expecting something more from Smash in the first Direct of the year, but all we really got was the back of Joker's model. Then people were expecting a character to drop at E3, because timing-wise it made sense, and three characters dropped during E3 for Smash 4 DLC.

But on the other hand, sometimes (though seemingly less frequently), it works out in the fans' favour, like when Banjo dropped earlier than expected (given he was technically released in the summer).

Ultimately you just have to stay on your toes with Nintendo, making assumptions based on past habits often backfires.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
as much as i want Sol.. dunno if he is getting as fp5. i feel that he would eclipse a little too much terry.. and some similar moves would leave to people comparing them too much IMO. although I'm all inn, for a future pass. (say if i needed to plan who would be developed from this 5 characters list (hero, joker, Terry, Banjo and Sol) i personally would have switched hero with terry in order to create a longer gap between terry and sol.

I honestly wonder if we get a capcom character and dante, monster hunter, RE guy are out of the question, while phoenix wright certainly have a strong case, people seem to be sleeping way too hard on morrigan and amateratsu. which IMO have strong enough cases akin to phoenix wright,

Morrigan while also a fighting game character, is design wise so different from terry that still could work, (and people seem to be oblivious to the absurd amount of Influence the series Darkstalkers keeps up until today, even if it's coming from a series that for all intents and purposes is dead as a standalone videogame) and ammy, well.. it's ammy.

just think about darkstalkers in general (not even counting morrigan) and think about the ammount of pressence it has. and compare it to other series similar in scope like Rival Schools, Virtua Fighters, Bloody Roar, etc...

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I mean, it wouldn't be surprising if it was, considering we have the Megaman and Megaman X Legacy collections and the Capcom Beat-em Up Collection. Another one wouldn't be surprising. That said, isn't there already a Darkstalkers Collection technically? Aside from Resurrection, wasn't there Chaos Tower and that JP-only PS2 game?
Yeah. There's also "Vampire Savior 2" and "Vampire Hunter 2", which are just Japan-only updates to Darkstalkers 3... which technically means Darkstalkers has had more rereleases than it has mainline games, which is just sad.

I've seen plenty of games where Morrigan has cleavage for days, but I've yet to see any where Morrigan actually has jiggle physics (that's usually more Felicia's thing). Morrigan in Smash could likely just get away with a more conservative top, not unlike Bayonetta.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
That's because it's not animated. lol

Keep in mind that while this is amazing for a fan made thing, the official animations would put this to shame if for nothing else then better posing.

I mean...You could just not jiggle the boobs. (Also I don't think she actually uses jiggle physics that much.)
I can't think of a time where Morrigan actually had jiggle physics, unless you count her Project X zone sprite as jiggle physics.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Premium
Here’s another example:

I don’t think he’ll actually jump while dashing, he’ll just sprint and maybe leave particles behind him, but this does show a real jumping animation and others.

He had an article or interview thing about Minecraft, and has said other things that show how much he loves it, like being surprised it was overtaken on the Western eShop as the #1 best seller, and he has done Minecraft stuff with others before I think.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2018/...mple-actions-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-535/

I think classic or Dungeons would be best (I guess Dungeons is basically the classic style anyway, just with more detail).
Looks better.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I honestly wonder if we get a capcom character and dante, monster hunter, RE guy are out of the question, while phoenix wright certainly have a strong case, people seem to be sleeping way too hard on morrigan and amateratsu. which IMO have strong enough cases akin to phoenix wright,
I truly believe that Ammy has a higher chance than Phoenix. I know that's not a popular opinion, but she's being straight up ignored these days, which is kind of blowing my mind. I don't know if she's a TGA-level reveal, but if Capcom is going to have a presence in Smash DLC post-Pass, my gut's telling me that her chances are stupidly high.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I can't think of a time where Morrigan actually had jiggle physics, unless you count her Project X zone sprite as jiggle physics.
It's not jiggle physics because physics don't generally affect sprites, but the sprite work could be used to achieve a similar goal. Even so it's not necessary if she were to be brought to Smash.

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
Here’s another example:

And here’s a couple of official trailers with animations that could work:

https://youtu.be/mJczpIdONjs
https://youtu.be/ICi2cjdzN1I

Minecraft dungeons Not bad they cant animate steve too stiff because smash has an image of quality to keep so it can certainly go with that direction
Edit: saw the video, im inpressed they animated him really lively and also kept true to his blocky movement

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Premium
Changing Morrigan's outfit for the rating would be a bigger change than Mai's would have been.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I want Nightmare from Soulcalibur.
Yes, a sword character and a fighting game character put together.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I want Nightmare from Soulcalibur.
Yes, a sword character and a fighting game character put together.
Now if only we could turn him into a Fire Emblem character and a Pokémon at the same time...

Changing Morrigan's outfit for the rating would be a bigger change than Mai's would have been.
As far as we know CERO has the biggest issue with upskirt shots, which isn't an issue for Morrigan since she wears a leotard thingy and tights. She's only slightly more risqué than a ballerina.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Yeah there's no way in hell it's her and that's because of CERO. Also, there's no way to censor the outfit without it pissing off fans of the character
People got upset that Sakurai gave Mythra leggings. They'll get upset over any censorship.

osby

Smash Obsessed
People got upset that Sakurai gave Mythra leggings. They'll get upset over any censorship.
Don't remind me how Tokyo Mirage Sessions changed some designs for its Switch port and people gone "no highschool girls in revealing clothes?! unplayable trash."

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I was curious about what Sakurai would have to work with as far as a stage for Morrigan goes, but instead I came across this gem. I'm not fond of Morrigan's theme but this remix of it is freaking epic.

What the **** are you talking about? "Just a tiny bit"? Almost her entire chest is exposed.
It wouldn't be too major a change. I think it would look like this, but with a bit more coverage (enough to not be defying gravity).
1575264367246.png
EDIT: And of course with an artstyle & face that looks actually good.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
It's not jiggle physics because physics don't generally affect sprites, but the sprite work could be used to achieve a similar goal. Even so it's not necessary if she were to be brought to Smash.
Morrigan has never had jiggle physichs, nor in her spriteworks nor in her 3d incarnations.

Also, while a very erotic and sexy character, her moves are more playful than erotic, between gimnastics, guillotines, mechas and jetpacks...

Capcom Infinite already reduced severly morrigan's cleveage and while the game bombed... believe me that wasn't exactly one of teh reasons.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Morrigan can be censored around her chest area without changing much. Why? Cause Capcom has already done so before.
And as CERO has issue with panty shots mainly and not so much swimsuits, Morrigan should be able to get away with her leotard and leggings. It's really mainly her chest area that may be an issue and as shown above, Capcom has no issue with covering up Morrigan.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah there's no way in hell it's her and that's because of CERO. Also, there's no way to censor the outfit without it pissing off fans of the character
Maybe. But honestly I think CERO cares more about up-skirts than cleavage. Sakurai has even said their concern was always about panty shots.

Japan is a strange place.

No one seems to care Bayonetta gets less naked than usual, or changed the expletive in her catchphrase from "****" to "mess".

Last edited:

aarod

Smash Rookie
If someone is getting revealed at The Game Awards, it sure as hell isn't going to be someone like Reimu. C'mon, this is an English-heavy show, they're not going going to use that opportunity for someone relatively unknown to that crowd.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
If someone is getting revealed at The Game Awards, it sure as hell isn't going to be someone like Reimu. C'mon, this is an English-heavy show, they're not going going to use that opportunity for someone relatively unknown to that crowd.
Every time someone says this, I immediately think to myself that Persona sure is my favorite major western franchise.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm not a huge fan of Fox News or people who write off Pokemon as an option simply because "there's too many of them", but there's likely no overlap between these two groups. Something tells me the Grandpa and Weird Uncles watching Fox News aren't the types who really care about the Smash roster.
The comparison was because I didn't doubt the possibility those mean FE fans who want more FE fans but would hate new Pokemon fans didn't actually exist, Fox News was just the first comparison that came to mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom