• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Antinomy of Common Flowers has an official English patch. It is coming to PS4 and Switch, so I'd expect the translation to be available there as well.

Aside from that though, those fan-games are actually a lot of people's entry into the series.
I'm not a fan of shmups, but platformers, Castlevania-clones, and the like? That catches my attention. Then I tried the official fighting games from there.
AoCF is also a ****ing fighting game that isn't related to what the "core touhou gameplay" is.
Also it's missing the popular Touhou characters I like, but that's another story.

Fact is, even if Reimu is likely for DLC (and I don't personally think she is), there's a snowball's chance in hell that she'll be announced at TGA (which in and of itself may or may not have a Smash announcement to begin with).

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If there's gonna be a reveal at the Game awards I think the character in question would probably belong to a series that's actually been at the game awards. But that's just me.
I can’t believe they’re going to announce Xenoblade X content for Smash only for The Witcher: Blood and Wine to steal its spot, just like it did with the RPG of the Year slot 4 years ago.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Man, Saber is just so bland. If we get Fate stuff, I'd rather almost anyone else, even Mash.
bland doesnt disqualify characters. i mean out of all Street fighter canon we got mr. bland himself. there are more than 10 SF characters i'd rather have than ryu or ken but its about who serves the franchise best.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
But is it getting localized tho?
No idea. As far as I know the status of the ports is currently just, "They're coming".
I'd imagine any mention of localization would come at the point they're ready or soon after. An official English patch does improve the odds, though I don't know what the licensing differences would be for a worldwide release, so... *shrug*

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I think Fighter 5 will be...most disturbing...

That's right, MissingNo. is gonna be official, and he's coming to Smash.

View attachment 249352
You know what I sincerely wish would happen? That Nintendo would at least acknowledge these types of infamous old-school glitches in a game like Smash. Give someone like Mewtwo a white/grey/black/orange blocky, pixely alt color like this, just as a fun nod to MissingNo. Why not? What kind of harm would it do to the world's largest media brand?

Another baffling exclusion is the "Justin Bailey" color alt for Zero Suit. That would be such an easy and brilliant easter egg, and would fit perfectly into the whole "non-canon alt color" thing in a party game like Smash, but Nintendo will never do it for whatever reason. Does anyone know why this is?

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I love Touhou, but I never really thought Reimu was all that likely. In fact, to see all this sudden support for her is pretty surprising to me.

I do remember a time in the early 2010's when 2hu spawned a group of memes like "Marisa Stole the Precious Thing" or "Ran Ran Ruu" and other stuff like that lol. It had some worldwide popularity back then, but it's mostly gone now.

Last edited:

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
AoCF is also a ****ing fighting game that isn't related to what the "core touhou gameplay" is.
Also it's missing the popular Touhou characters I like, but that's another story.
But the fighting games are an integral part of the series. You may not like them but they have their place with 6 different fighting games already in existence.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well...if nothing interesting comes by, I'mma just sign off for today. If anyoen gets deconfirmed, let us know!

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I would lose my mind if they did an entire TWEWY Spirit event.

Neku would be such an incredible fighter for Smash between his pin abilities and various different partners (which alone would make for such a compelling and unique moveset) but considering how poorly the game has been handled and how there will more than likely never be a sequel (which kills me) I can never see him joining the roster.

But a Spirit event? With Nintendo characters playing out the roles of these characters? Oh man, Mii Costumes! Music tracks!!!

I'd lose my sh*t. I'd love love love for this to happen.

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
I hope its not another human character..
Bandai namcos company have been really influential to Sakurai adding more human characters

D

Deleted member

I got a secret recording of Fighter 5 reacting to the Namco deconfirmation.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
But the fighting games are an integral part of the series. You may not like them but they have their place with 6 different fighting games already in existence.
What makes them "integral"?
They're not true numbered titles, bearing this __.5 moniker, making them explicitly a tier below actual Touhou shmups.

And even if they were "integral" , none have an official translation either making actually accessing them for a Western audience only possible via word of mouth or people who are already fans of the series. There's that supposed translation patch, but that's not even out yet and unless Nintendo/Sakurai are confident in the size of the Western touhou community watching TGAs, I don't think she's got a shot there.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I dont see the problem with Miinecraft or Fort in Smash. Both games that have accomplished things no other games have

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Why would he know something trivial like what companies arent going to have a smash character? I don’t recall him ever leaking things this way
Being an insider, he's stating what his source has told him. He is narrowing down who our next character could be by stating which companies the next character is owned by.
I love Touhou, but I never really thought Reimu was all that likely. In fact, to see all this sudden support for her is pretty surprising to me.

I do remember a time in the early 2010's when 2hu spawned a group of memes like "Marisa Stole the Precious Thing" or "Ran Ran Ruu" and other stuff like that lol. It had some worldwide popularity back then, but it's mostly gone now.
Ah, I remember those memes from back in the day! Another meme I remember was "Cirno's Perfect Math Class".

If Reimu does manage to be our next fighter, there will be tons and tons of memes and some... interesting reactions from some fans who expected someone else.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I hope its not another human character..
No more humans!

Hyurs and Humes are fine though.

They're not true numbered titles, bearing this __.5 moniker, making them explicitly a tier below actual Touhou shmups.

And even if they were "integral" , none have an official translation either making actually accessing them for a Western audience only possible via word of mouth or people who are already fans of the series. There's that supposed translation patch, but that's not even out yet and unless Nintendo/Sakurai are confident in the size of the Western touhou community watching TGAs, I don't think she's got a shot there.
The incidents are canon events and the characters from them end up becoming relevant in later titles.

Also

AoCF Page on Touhou Wiki said:
On December 27th, 2017, Tasofro announced plans for an English translation[5]. It was released in the 1.10 version of the game, on April 24th, 2018. This makes Antinomy of Common Flowers the first official game to have an official translation.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that the announced release of AoCF for consoles has anything to do with Reimu being FP5 or do I believe that Reimu is a safe bet for FP5. I'm just saying that the fighting games have their place among the Touhou series and that the "core" is not only shmup. There are people that only enjoy the fighting games after all. The figting games are spin-offs, but still officially released Touhou games. But, this comes down how we define "core" or "integral" so I'll leave it at that. This is off topic after all.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Since we are Talking about 3rd Party Content (besides Characters), FNAF would be Perfect for Spirits, Mii Costumes, or a Stage (Especially Spirits and Mii Costumes, as both those things really do represent FNAF well Lore wise)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think a Fortnite rep would be okay. I don't find it super annoying like others seem to, and it's wildly popular. I think it's made a big enough impact in gaming to be up for consideration.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
The one thing I'll give Fortnite is that I believe you actually could attract some of its playerbase just using a guest character, while I don't believe it would work nearly as well for Minecraft.

If kids can do that stupid dance as a taunt, you'll get their money.

Joke or not, he's no Chrom.
While I specifically don't want Derplander, as I dislike the prospect of protagonist stand-ins, he could potentially be unique as all Hell.

Even just going from the classes and jobs he's displayed in the trailer, you've got Archer, Warrior, Dragoon, Monk, Samurai, and Dark Knight. If you go with the logic that he can be all classes, that opens the door more.

But I'd still prefer to stick with a more discreet, named, canon individual.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Speaking of Spirit Events, Octopath Traveler would be perfect for Spirits! The 8 player characters could each have their own spirit.

If we could somehow get music that would be sublime. decisive battle 2 is amazing to the ears.

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Being an insider, he's stating what his source has told him. He is narrowing down who our next character could be by stating which companies the next character is owned by.

Ah, I remember those memes from back in the day! Another meme I remember was "Cirno's Perfect Math Class".

If Reimu does manage to be our next fighter, there will be tons and tons of memes and some... interesting reactions from some fans who expected someone else.
I'll never forget Chirumiru.

If we actually end up getting Reimu in Smash I hope we get a reference to this somehow.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I will say despite never playing it I can't help but be impressed by how colorful and interesting the Fortnite avatars are, and a shooter+builder character is far from the worst thing in the world. Also I find the dances funny.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The one thing I'll give Fortnite is that I believe you actually could attract some of its playerbase just using a guest character, while I don't believe it would work nearly as well for Minecraft.

If kids can do that stupid dance as a taunt, you'll get their money.
Minecraft would definitely work well, the player base averages around age 24 (plus the game has existed for ten years), has over one hundred million players per month, and a lot of people would love to see Steve in Smash, based on twitter and over 150k video likes + over 1 million views for an animated Steve moveset on Youtube (and all Steve for Smash videos have much more likes than dislikes). There’s also tons of fan art for Steve and Alex, and some people use them in builds or build statues of them.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The incidents are canon events and the characters from them end up becoming relevant in later titles.

Also
But being canon doesn't make something important or integral.

And it's especially unlikely that any amount of people are going to go look for AoCF, find the Japanese-text only Steam page, go to the complete wiki to find the program to patch in the english language to the game. I'm sorry but that's not the mark of something that's popular enough in the West as to be at or around Persona 5 level.

The fact that you even have to DO that to begin with should tell you why people are "sleeping on Reimu" and why no one finds her likely to be announced at Mr. Keighley's Death Stranding Awards.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Vergeben is legit. He was there throughout base roster scene, getting everything right there. He was also the first to state Erdrick/Luminary.

Sabi had everyone's E3 leaked and correct to a tee.
Should be noted that Vergeben's "leaks" in base roster none of them originated from himself, he just piggy backed less noisy leakers.
Everyone is here - Emily Rogers said it first.
Simon Belmont - _stealth on twitter said it first.
List goes on.
Also really enjoying all the minecraft content...

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Why would he know something trivial like what companies arent going to have a smash character? I don’t recall him ever leaking things this way
Vergeben’s source knows who the fifth DLC character is but his source can’t say it or it’ll blow his cover.

They have to essentially play a game of guess who at this point to at least have a broad idea of who it might be.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I can’t believe they’re going to announce Xenoblade X content for Smash only for The Witcher: Blood and Wine to steal its spot, just like it did with the RPG of the Year slot 4 years ago.
Completely earned it's slot, you mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom