• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Watch tomorrow Verge actually say its X...

Then we begin debates on why they're a good pick and why they're a bad pick. Then we get told its not them by Sabi and move on.
I'll take Vergeben's word on character disconfirmations over Sabi's any day.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Have these leakers ever been right in the past? Only just started following this stuff recently so I'm not all in the know.

I'm under the impression they're just jerking people around, throwing everyone into a frenzy, and they're getting high off the hype and attention they're getting.
Vergeben is legit. He was there throughout base roster scene, getting everything right there. He was also the first to state Erdrick/Luminary.

Sabi had everyone's E3 leaked and correct to a tee.

D

Deleted member

Vergeben is legit. He was there throughout base roster scene, getting everything right there. He was also the first to state Erdrick/Luminary.

And that is why we hold those two in high regard. :woman:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Have these leakers ever been right in the past? Only just started following this stuff recently so I'm not all in the know.

I'm under the impression they're just jerking people around, throwing everyone into a frenzy, and they're getting high off the hype and attention they're getting.
While I partially agree with you, at least with some leakers, Vergeben has a good track if we talk about Smash. If I remember correctly he got Ridley, Snake, K. Rool, Simon Belmont and of course Incineroar and Ken. Also at august of last year he was the first to claim we would have a Square character in the pass and a few months later I think he confirmed that the fighter was a Dragon Quest rep.
Banjo he wasn't the first to leak it but he 'confirmed' him a few days before E3. Same for Terry.

So, maybe all he says isn't 100% reliable because you never know but if we talk about Smash his words at least ""deserve"" attention.

D

Deleted member

There is zero way that Shantae is more likely than Reimu, lol. If we're getting an indie rep at all, it's going to be the one Sakurai cares more about.
Think again buddy
EB8372AE-D2A1-4E06-945A-CE3C1269255B.png

and judging by your wording sakurai would have chosen steve over banjo & kazooie.

Kokiden

Smash Ace

While I partially agree with you, at least with some leakers, Vergeben has a good track if we talk about Smash. If I remember correctly he got Ridley, Snake, K. Rool, Simon Belmont and of course Incineroar and Ken. Also at august of last year he was the first to claim we would have a Square character in the pass and a few months later I think he confirmed that the fighter was a Dragon Quest rep.
Banjo he wasn't the first to leak it but he 'confirmed' him a few days before E3. Same for Terry.

So, maybe all he says isn't 100% reliable because you never know but if we talk about Smash his words at least ""deserve"" attention.
Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification guys.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So let's take a look at some of the more notable candidates who are still alive before we get yet another surprise deconfirmation, in no particular order:
  • Sora
  • Sol Badguy
  • Reimu
  • Sakura
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Nintendo character (Three Houses/Astral Chain rep)
  • Other
Out of anyone in this list, how would you guys rate them from most likely to least likely for the FP #5 spot?
Phoenix Wright
Sol Badguy
Other
Sora
Reimu
Nintendo character (not those you mentioned though, those games are too late for characters)

Ornl

Smash Ace
So let's take a look at some of the more notable candidates who are still alive before we get yet another surprise deconfirmation, in no particular order:
  • Sora
  • Sol Badguy
  • Reimu
  • Sakura
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Nintendo character (Three Houses/Astral Chain rep)
  • Other
Out of anyone in this list, how would you guys rate them from most likely to least likely for the FP #5 spot?

Farmer in front of Disney rep / Fighting Game rep who would succeed Terry / Indie rep / 2sd Sega rep in the pass / Nintendo rep.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Some of them have gotten bits right, Verg has gotten 99% of Ultimates content right.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Potentially unpopular opinion? I like spirits and I'm excited for the possibility of more 3rd party Spirit Events!

It can be disappointing that a series would only be limited to PNGs and an event battles, but I'd rather have some content in Smash than none. For example, Killer Instinct has close to no chance of being a having playable character in Smash, but I could easily visualize and appreciate a Spirit Event for the game series.

What series would you like to see for Spirit Events in the future?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
meanwhile i'm dreaming the nigh impossible dream of Vault Boy cause i freakin love Fallout and everything about it - the premise, the characters, the plots, the aesthetic (something about post-apocalypse settings and vintage visuals and music is just :love: )

D

Deleted member

Potentially unpopular opinion? I like spirits and I'm excited for the possibility of more 3rd party Spirit Events!

It can be disappointing that a series would only be limited to PNGs and an event battles, but I'd rather have some content in Smash than none. For example, Killer Instinct has close to no chance of being a having playable character in Smash, but I could easily visualize and appreciate a Spirit Event for the game series.

Yeah, I really like 3rd party Spirit Events quite a lot too

Plank08

Smash Lord
How about something dumb for a bit?

This roster is something I've been personally putting together for fun, but since we have no idea who Fighter 5 is at this point, let's see if we can pinpoint who it may be based on my godawful creation. I personally believe it's down to these guys.
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Reimu Hakurei
3. Sora
4. Spyro
5. Sol Badguy
6. Geno's Mii Costume
If your most wanted character is not on this image you're lying or they don't exist yet.

AE26644B-8540-424C-82F2-9211B2EB77BD.jpeg

yayyy

D

Deleted member

Even though all of it is a striaght deconfirmation to the face.
Meh, I basically got everything I wanted in the game.

But besides, Sakurai is known for playing with the fans quite a lot (Meta Knight in Smash 4 for example).

Maybe he trolls us with spirits too, so in the end time will tell.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
After a week of chaos in terms of candidates for Challenger Pack 5, we're down to far fewer candidates than we had a week ago. Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Tekken, Tales of...all off the table.

With this in mind, the only companies that haven't yet been struck down are the following:

Capcom (Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright, Okami/Amaterasu, Monster Hunter)
Square Enix (Kingdom Hearts/Sora, Nier Automata/2B, The World Ends with You/Neku)
Nintendo (Astral Chain, Fire Emblem Three Houses are the only two games without content updates)
Bethesda (Elder Scrolls/Dragonborn, DOOM/Doom Slayer)
Arc System Works (Guilty Gear/Sol Badguy)
SEGA (Puyo Puyo/Arle)
Microsoft (Minecraft/Steve, Halo/Master Chief)

It's really not all that wide of a selection. While I'm not one for "rules" I don't think it's a good idea to suddenly assume there are no limits when there are a few inferences to be made about the fighter pass:

1) Thus far, all content in the Challenger Packs have been entirely new to Smash. Despite some Mii Fighters returning, those are not considered a part of the Challenger Packs, but the Updates that accompany them.

2) The pass has been about bringing in new series to Smash, as well as "expanding the demographic" of Smash. This comes from Nintendo leadership regarding the DLC sales. Logically (hate to get all FACTS AND LOGIC on y'all) Nintendo fighters don't necessarily expand the demographic, especially of series that have plenty of content in the game already like Mario or Pokemon.

3) For Wii U, no companies overlapped and all newcomers were not in Smash Wii U previously. For Ultimate, this is consistent. With that said, that would rule out Atlus (part of SEGA), Square Enix (still leaves Sora with Disney directly owning him), SNK (probable that they're out), and Microsoft.

4) DLC was planned with the base roster in mind and with THAT in mind, it should be assumed that Assist, Spirit, or other upgrades are improbably for at least Pick 5.

5) It's entirely possible that Banjo is an exception. This is largely speculation with nothing to back it, but if he is an exception, then Bethesda, and Microsoft by extension are off the table.

If we infer these things as a whole, then that would shoot down Nintendo as not "expanding the demographic" and cap off Picks 1-5 with another 3rd party. If repeat company picks don't happen, that shoots down Microsoft, SEGA, SNK, and Square Enix. This takes down plenty of picks from those companies. Lastly, if Banjo is the western exception, then Bethesda is as good as shot down.

That essentially leaves Capcom, Disney, and Arc System Works, with characters Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Sora, and Sol Badguy remaining.

Should be an interesting week coming up unless we hear more. None of this is confirmed or anything, but I think it's safe to make inferences based on precedent and what fits with the pass. We all have wants, but I think it's much clearer to put our biases aside to look at what stands out now that we're through the leaker massacre.

You’re forgetting Spike Chunsoft m8

(I know its slim, but still)

D

Deleted member

So guys, we did it.

We recreated “Here Comes Pac-Man” at the Newcomer/Speculation thread of Smashboards.com.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Klonoa_-Moonlight_Museum-.jpg
Neku_Sakuraba.png
VC_Alicia_Melchiott.png

My options remain unchanged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom