• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm a bit baffled that despite Lloyd's disconfirmation, the same isn't true for Yuri, it seems. So Tales still has a chance in my eyes, albeit smaller with one of its frontrunners gone.

Betting on either Souls or Ace Attorney. If both get shot... I dunno, but it'll probably be another curveball.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm a bit baffled that despite Lloyd's disconfirmation, the same isn't true for Yuri, it seems. So Tales still has a chance in my eyes, albeit smaller with one of its frontrunners gone.

Betting on either Souls or Ace Attorney. If both get shot... I dunno, but it'll probably be another curveball.
Was it just Lloyd? The wording made it seem like it was the entire Tales of series. Maybe that was a follow up opinion.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Edit: As far as moving songs to a different category goes, the only real issue I can see with that is that you can't move them for someone that doesn't buy the DLC since they'd lose access, resulting in a disparity in online matches. Not a huge deal, granted, but still 'a thing'.

Alright time to ask a fun question.

Assuming the next fighter is not from Capcom and Bandai Namco, who do you feel is the most likely character?
Some Bethesda junk or a mobile rep that from a game I don't care about (possibly both!).
Or a Blizzard rep I also don't care about (Sup, Overwatch).

Dark-Horse pick - Top Nep.

Not really, I was too busy wondering why everyone's trying to run over me with their bicycles.
Nanaka from NANACA†CRASH!! (and I guess, technically CROSS†CHANNEL) confirmed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The music is a very glaring omission, though, but I wonder if that's due to difficulty licensing tracks from Sawano and maybe they figured it was more trouble than it was worth.
licensing can't be an issue, as Elma was included in Xenoblade 2's expansion pass WITH Uncontrollable to boot
I'm thinking that Sawano likely owns the X music in part or in full as he's released them on some of his albums. Don't Worry and Uncontrollable are both featured on 2V-ALK.

I've been curious about the ownership of X music for a while and it took me a long time to track down an updated version of Xenoblade 2's credits with the DLC in there sense I don't own the game myself. Here's what it looks like:

Doesn't make it any more clear sense the vocal tracks from 2 are credited in a similar manner, but Sawano being able to release the X tracks on his own albums (and the inclusion of Melancholia in Xenoblade X itself) is interesting. Not to mention the Xenoblade 2 music being listed as ©Septima Ley instead of ©Nintendo / MONOLITHSOFT in Ultimate, but that's another issue entirely.

I just wanted Black Tar

Last edited by a moderator:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If the next fighter is from Capcom then I'm betting on Phoenix Wright. If it's from Namco then I'm betting on Heihachi. If it's neither of these companies then I'm betting on Dovahkiin.

And even then I'm not entirely sure on the chances of these three. We're currently in a limbo where there is no clear front runner for FP5. It could very well be someone that no one talked about like the farmer from Harvest Moon.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I feel Sakura Shinguji is being underestimated here. She's definitely a very unexpected character but she is an iconic character in Japan. Heck Sakura Wars was actually Sega's mascot series in Japan at the time the series was still thriving there. And she does fit the Shrine Maiden description Bosatu said if he is right.

Of course this depends on the fan rule of only one company for each character in the Fighter's Pass is in play.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If the next fighter is from Capcom then I'm betting on Phoenix Wright. If it's from Namco then I'm betting on Heihachi. If it's neither of these companies then I'm betting on Dovahkiin.

And even then I'm not entirely sure on the chances of these three. We're currently in a limbo where there is no clear front runner for FP5. It could very well be someone that no one talked about like the farmer from Harvest Moon.
We really have just deluded ourselves into thinking Capcom and Namco are the frontrunners, huh? There's really no evidence for either, unless you count the sudden addition of Resident Evil spirits as a point in Capcom's favor.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
True, but it's not like there aren't other spirits missing from World of Light and maybe they just neglected to list XCX in the code for some reason. The music is a very glaring omission, though, but I wonder if that's due to difficulty licensing tracks from Sawano and maybe they figured it was more trouble than it was worth.

I can't say that I'm convinced that she would be chosen over KOS-MOS or Rex as a Xeno rep, but I guess this is still something to think about.
Maybe, but that's a few too many coincidences. And with regards to the World of Light omission, point me then to one other game that was so specifically excluded from the mode.
That aside, there's of course also the fact that Elma's voice actress has had an NDA role since late last year where we still don't know what it is.

D

Deleted member

Maybe, but that's a few too many coincidences. And with regards to the World of Light omission, point me then to one other game that was so specifically excluded from the mode.
They left out my girl, Ayumi Tachibana.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
We really have just deluded ourselves into thinking Capcom and Namco are the frontrunners, huh? There's really no evidence for either, unless you count the sudden addition of Resident Evil spirits as a point in Capcom's favor.
I think it should be remembered that whoever Nintendo was planning for FP5 it was going to be the final character added to this game before the extra DLC got decided. This doesn't really point towards any company or character, but it's something to take note of. Just who would've been the final character that Nintendo decided back in 2018 before they decided on more DLC? Would it have been a bang? Or would it have been a whimper?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I think it should be remembered that whoever Nintendo was planning for FP5 it was going to be the final character added to this game before the extra DLC got decided. This doesn't really point towards any company or character, but it's something to take note of. Just who would've been the final character that Nintendo decided back in 2018 before they decided on more DLC? Would it have been a bang? Or would it have been a whimper?
I would think with the fact they announced more DLC with Terry instead of the 'final' character, I think it's going to be a small character that would generate a lot of salt.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright time to ask a fun question.

Assuming the next fighter is not from Capcom and Bandai Namco, who do you feel is the most likely character?
As I've said multiple times, either someone from Dynasty Warriors (Zhao Yun or Lu Bu) or Geralt from The Witcher. I won't go into detail about Dynasty Warriors since I'll be repeating myself about Koei-Tecmo's relationship with Nintendo and whatnot, but as for the other game, The Witcher 3 is perhaps 1 of the most critically acclaimed titles of the decade and would make a whole lot of sense being revealed at the Game Awards regardless of where you stand on if Geralt can be considered a video game character or not. If Persona 5 got nominated for GOTY in 2017 and revealed Joker as the first DLC character in 2018, it'd be fitting for the game that won GOTY in 2015 to be revealed this year as the last DLC character [in the 1st Fighter Pass].

D

Deleted member

I'm looking at the lack of mii costumes for Namco. They were pretty plentiful in Smash 4, and to have them all gone suddenly makes me suspicious. Like Capcom's and Sega's mii costumes had no trouble returning, but why Namco--the people helping make the game?

With that said, Namco's not confirmed in the slightest, and I think we could probably get a Nintendo rep if they wanted to promote a newly released game.

Capcom, I don't really see a new fighter happening. At least for FP 5.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Yes, for Fighter 5 is does seem like we're pretty much in limbo right now. Most of the characters we all thought were likely or had somewhat of a shot has been shut down with one being a major troll move that wasn't going to happen anyway.

As much as I would love to see Phoenix or even Heihachi even with those guys I'm not entirely sure if they're all that likely neither. It just seems like we're spewing out names, even the ones that seems like good choices. We haven't been this confused over a character since the speculation of this DLC cycle has started. This time of nothingness, kind of reminds of the time back when before Cloud was revealed for Smash 4 where we have nothing to go off by for a good month or so, and BOOM we got a BIG character reveal with it being Cloud. Literally, it was the calm before a bigger storm came. I'm hoping that this is what this is again!

I personally like the mysteriousness to whoever this character is and honestly, I would like for it to stay that way until we are close the Game Awards, and with how much Sabi has been bringing it up with Smash, that just seems to be our best bet for a new reveal at this point.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I'm looking at the lack of mii costumes for Namco. They were pretty plentiful in Smash 4, and to have them all gone suddenly makes me suspicious. Like Capcom's and Sega's mii costumes had no trouble returning, but why Namco--the people helping make the game?

With that said, Namco's not confirmed in the slightest, and I think we could probably get a Nintendo rep if they wanted to promote a newly released game.

Capcom, I don't really see a new fighter happening. At least for FP 5.
The last direct had this narrative of “lol, Namco only has one rep!”

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
As I've said multiple times, either someone from Dynasty Warriors (Zhao Yun or Lu Bu) or Geralt from The Witcher. I won't go into detail about Dynasty Warriors since I'll be repeating myself about Koei-Tecmo's relationship with Nintendo and whatnot, but as for the other game, The Witcher 3 is perhaps 1 of the most critically acclaimed titles of the decade and would make a whole lot of sense being revealed at the Game Awards regardless of where you stand on if Geralt can be considered a video game character or not. If Persona 5 got nominated for GOTY in 2017 and revealed Joker as the first DLC character in 2018, it'd be fitting for the game that won GOTY in 2015 to be revealed this year as the last DLC character [in the 1st Fighter Pass].
that would be a pretty hype revel Geralt fits even tho he's from a book

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think that's just an exaggeration. The Cacodemon hat not being related to FP5 doesn't mean Bethesda isn't involved, because if that was the case then Sabi and his source would've said so. They only claimed it's not related to who the fifth fighter is and that only affects Doom.
If Sabi's source says Fighter 5 is not related to Doom Guy then how could it be Dovahkiin or Fallout boy if they're related by company? If I can quote this correctly (As I can't find the screencap at this moment) they said "If those Mii costumes are real, they're not related to who fighter 5 is." so it can't be a character who is any way related to either Doom Guy or Geno by series or company.

Sabi's source can't be exact with who it is so if the source says it's not related, I think it's safe to entirely rule the company out. That's just what I think but you can think whatever you like.

D

Deleted member

I dunno, CERO might crack down on his bathtub move, and Geraldo is pointless without his bathtub.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If Sabi's source says Fighter 5 is not related to Doom Guy then how could it be Dovahkiin or Fallout boy if they're related by company? If I can quote this correctly (As I can't find the screencap at this moment) they said "If those Mii costumes are real, they're not related to who fighter 5 is." so it can't be a character who is any way related to either Doom Guy or Geno by series or company.

Sabi's source can't be exact with who it is so if the source says it's not related, I think it's safe to entirely rule the company out. That's just what I think but you can think whatever you like.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Is this the tweet in question?

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I'm thinking that Sawano likely owns the X music in part or in full as he's released them on some of his albums. Don't Worry and Uncontrollable are both featured on 2V-ALK.

I've been curious about the ownership of X music for a while and it took me a long time to track down an updated version of Xenoblade 2's credits with the DLC in there sense I don't own the game myself. Here's what it looks like:

Doesn't make it any more clear sense the vocal tracks from 2 are credited in a similar manner, but Sawano being able to release the X tracks on his own albums (and the inclusion of Melancholia in Xenoblade X itself) is interesting. Not to mention the Xenoblade 2 music being listed as ©Septima Ley instead of ©Nintendo / MONOLITHSOFT in Ultimate, but that's another issue entirely.

I just wanted Black Tar
When Xenoblade Chronicles X's music was took down on Youtube. It was under the copyright of Sony (Yes, that Sony. Ironically). They weren't put in Smash for budgetary reasons probably, kinda the same issue as Final Fantasy. It wouldn't surprise me if the price of the music is also a reason we don't have a Xenoblade X's port to Switch yet. Sawano and anime composers in general are very strict when it comes to music copyright.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, having to go to Disney for rights might end up being difficult.
Well, having lots of Disney themes on the 3ds an Disney art academy game & Disney being ok with sora in smash might NOT end up being difficult.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Geralt is the only book character that's in video games that i think should get a pass video game Geralt isn't the same as book Geralt unlike Goku who's the same from anime to manga

D

Deleted member

Thinking about it, I believe a Capcom rep is actually very likely post pass. Negotiations for post pass finalized around Terry's reveal in Septembet, which was before the Resident Evil spirits were announced. Negotiations also take months in advance to settle. I wouldn't be surprised if Resident Evil was a series that was brought up to Capcom, but then shot down for another series. However, they didn't want to just ignore RE so they added the spirits as consolation. If Nintendo approached Capcom sometime during this year to get these spirits in, there is a very strong possibility they got another fighter out of it too.

D

Deleted member

The last direct had this narrative of “lol, Namco only has one rep!”
Actualy that’s not what he said. What he said was he calls him their company’s character while Bn the ones who worked on smash with sora ltd call him our company’s character.
Your stretching none of the less
I’m starting to think namco is unlikley for 5 now

D

Deleted member

When Xenoblade Chronicles X's music was took down on Youtube. It was under the copyright of Sony (Yes, that Sony. Ironically). They weren't put in Smash for budgetary reasons probably, kinda the same issue as Final Fantasy. It wouldn't surprise me if the price of the music is also a reason we don't have a Xenoblade X's port to Switch yet. Sawano and anime composers in general are very strict when it comes to music copyright.
The official release of the X OST was by Defstar Records, a now defunct division of Sony Music. Sawano's album releases have all been under Sony labels as well, so if Sony has the authority to file claims on X music, the music is likely owned by him.

Interestingly, the Xenoblade OST was also distributed by Sony Music as well.

Anime music copyright is super fun though. Just look at how stupidly expensive the anime music packs are for DBFZ, and they didn't even license the full versions of any of the OPs/EDs.

D

Deleted member

Thinking about it, I believe a Capcom rep is actually very likely post pass. Negotiations for post pass finalized around Terry's direct this month, which was before the Resident Evil spirits were announced. Negotiations also take months in advance to settle. I wouldn't be surprised if Resident Evil was a series that was brought up to Capcom, but then shot down for another. However, they didn't want to just ignore RE so they added the spirits as consolation. If Nintendo approached Capcom sometime during this year to get these spirits in, there is a very strong possibility they got another fighter out of it too.
Dante or phoinex calling it

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace

This logic is really bad. That's like saying if Sabi said a Lappy Mii costume is unrelated to fighter #5 that all Nintendo characters are off the table. No, that only means an Astral Chain character would be off the table.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Thinking about it, I believe a Capcom rep is actually very likely post pass. Negotiations for post pass finalized around Terry's direct this month, which was before the Resident Evil spirits were announced. Negotiations also take months in advance to settle. I wouldn't be surprised if Resident Evil was a series that was brought up to Capcom, but then shot down for another. However, they didn't want to just ignore RE so they added the spirits as consolation. If Nintendo approached Capcom sometime during this year to get these spirits in, there is a very strong possibility they got another fighter out of it too.
We don't know when negotiations, or indeed even the roster for next season was finalized. Considering Terry's Direct was filmed after irt aired, all we know is that the next season was decided on by October. For all we know the characters were negotiated long before that, or they haven't been decided yet, or they don't require negotiation, or anything in between.

I honestly wish we could have gotten another tweet from Sakurai stating by when the DLC had been decided, it would give us a better timeline to figure things out.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
...There is a part of me that is considering naming Phoenix as "Phoinex" on purpose in my posts just to mess with people at this point.

Back to speculation - what are the chances of a December 7th reveal for CP5 instead of the Game Awards?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We don't know when negotiations, or indeed even the roster for next season was finalized. Considering Terry's Direct was filmed after irt aired, all we know is that the next season was decided on by October. For all we know the characters were negotiated long before that, or they haven't been decided yet, or they don't require negotiation, or anything in between.

I honestly wish we could have gotten another tweet from Sakurai stating by when the DLC had been decided, it would give us a better timeline to figure things out.
I think it's safe to assume that negotiations for further DLC happened between November 1st 2018 and Terry's direct, which was recorded in October. Given Sakurai's comments in Terry's direct, "the finish line keeps being moved further away from me," I don't think Sakurai planned post pass until after Ultimate released. As a result, any post pass character was most likely decided upon this year.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Sakurai did say "Oh yeah our character" to Namco when Pacman got on stage when he was making the Namco nod and you hear people laughing in the background at Namco Bandai. This is no crazier a hint than chair theory.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like who?
Bad box art Mega man or dan hibiki?
I would think more along the lines of X, Zero, Sigma, Bass, maybe Protoman for Megaman. While some are in the final Smash, never forget Chrom is still in Corrin's.

For Street Fighter, I'd bank on anyone who isn't an assist trophy yet. So that leaves room for pretty much anybody in Street Fighter 2 not named Guile.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Again, you're exaggerating things and attributing "Fighter 5 is not related to the mii costumes" to the whole company when it very likely was only about Doom. What do The Elder Scrolls have in common with Doom besides being owned by Bethesda? Absolutely nothing. A Doom mii costume is never guaranteed to come with Dovahkiin. Hero didn't come with any SE mii costumes besides Dragon Quest. Banjo didn't come with any Rare mii costumes at all. The two series have nothing in common and have never crossed over which makes this argument weak. If Bethesda as a whole was out of the question then Sabi would've said so, otherwise Elder Scrolls is still in the running.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If it really were that difficult, we wouldn't have X' music in 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom