• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Sakurai did say "Oh yeah our character" to Namco when Pacman got on stage when he was making the Namco nod and you hear people laughing in the background at Namco Bandai. This is no crazier a hint than chair theory.
1575144369709.png

Don't make me post the full image again I swear to god

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think it's safe to assume that negotiations for further DLC happened between November 1st 2018 and Terry's direct, which was recorded in October. Given Sakurai's comments in Terry's direct, "the finish line keeps being moved further away from me," I don't think Sakurai planned post pass until after Ultimate released. As a result, any post pass character was most likely decided upon this year.
Or, the specific lineup for the next season was decided upon after October. All that was confirmed is that there would be more DLC, but it's entirely possible that the specifics were or even are still being locked down.

Considering that's an entire year for a timeframe, I honestly wouldn't bother speculating about what happened behind closed doors and when it could have happened.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
...There is a part of me that is considering naming Phoenix as "Phoinex" on purpose in my posts just to mess with people at this point.

Back to speculation - what are the chances of a December 7th reveal for CP5 instead of the Game Awards?
Thought it might be possible but it's also a Saturday this year, so they might not. Wouldnt be a bad plan to do the final character there and then start the post pass DLC at the VGA

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Finally finished putting up the Christmas lights, hey everyone! Any new deconfirmations after Lloyd?

Also why are people still hanging on to the Milk-BOSATU leak? Terry alone deconfirmed it. They said FP4 was a shrine maiden with a projectile. They said Fighter 5 "already appeared". Terry is not a shrine maiden with a projectile, and even if one tries to say "they got the order wrong! uwu", try swapping them. Then FP4 would be the "already appeared". Had SNK already appeared? Not at all. It's like when people were still holding onto the IAmShifty leak after Terry...

I'm also hoping the Mii leak is fake (it would hurt Dragonborn if it was real, at least in terms of FP5). People have managed to mod in hats with jiggle physics, h*** you can just build it off of the Slime hat.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
...There is a part of me that is considering naming Phoenix as "Phoinex" on purpose in my posts just to mess with people at this point.

Back to speculation - what are the chances of a December 7th reveal for CP5 instead of the Game Awards?
I'm going to give it 60% Game Awards, 40% December 7th. Although December 7th is on a Saturday this year, but I don't think it matters too much. I think we're in an agreement that we are getting our next reveal in December.

D

Deleted member

Or, the specific lineup for the next season was decided upon after October. All that was confirmed is that there would be more DLC, but it's entirely possible that the specifics were or even are still being locked down.

Considering that's an entire year for a timeframe, I honestly wouldn't bother speculating about what happened behind closed doors and when it could have happened.
Well that's ridiculous. Why promise more new fighters without finalizing any deals? At minimum, at least two fighters should be planned out specifically. If they want to add more to the roster now, they can, but they had to have finalized deals before they announced it.

Also I got my dates mixed up. The Post Pass DLC fighters were promised on the September direct, not November's Terry direct.

Last edited by a moderator:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Phoenix rises!

That's right, Phoenix confirmed for Smash.

About time too.
If there's one series that needed the nod, it was Final Fantasy.

SKX31

Smash Master
I think it should be remembered that whoever Nintendo was planning for FP5 it was going to be the final character added to this game before the extra DLC got decided. This doesn't really point towards any company or character, but it's something to take note of. Just who would've been the final character that Nintendo decided back in 2018 before they decided on more DLC? Would it have been a bang? Or would it have been a whimper?

The way I see it, we have three possible venues (from most to least likely in my view):

VGA - 45 %
Nintendo Direct - 40 %
Chinese launch presentation - 15 % (especially if they announce upcoming games there; Tencent and other companies have a littany of possible ports. Not just mobile games - which would be looked down on - Bladed Fury and Death Coming, developed by Next Studios, are practically indie and Steam favorites for example.)

It depends on what gets announced the coming days, really.

Douglas J. Walker 94

Banned via Warnings
Here's what I hope happens in terms of what we get next-

Final Fighter Pass Character- Amaterasu From Okami. Since we don't have a female character. And she should be the final Capcom Character We Get.

Bonus Fighter We get after the First Fighter Pass has ended. If Spirits do deconfrim. We should get Sylux from Metroid: Prime Hunters as the bonus character.

If Spirits do not deconfirm character's for DLC. Then it should be Dixie Kong.

Fighter Pass 2-

Fighter 1- Travis Touchdown From No More Heroes

Fighter 2- Crash Bandicoot

Fighter 3- Spyro The Dragon

Fighter 4- Billy And Jimmy Lee From Double Dragon

Fighter 5- Klonoa

Bonus Fighter- Either Porky Minch (If Spirits Deconfirm) Or Geno (If Spirits Don't Deconfirm)

Fighter Pass 3-

Fighter 1 The Doom Slayer/Marine

Fighter 2- Nightmare From Soul Calibur

Fighter 3- Bill And Lance From Contra

Fighter 4- The Battletoads (Rash, Pimple, And Zitz)

Fighter 5- Tracer From Overwatch

Bonus Fighter- A New Mii Fighter- Either A Mii Magician (Magic Fighter) Or A Mii Archer (Bow And Arrow User) (Should Spirits Deconfirm) Or Vaati (From The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap) (If Spirits Don't Deconfirm)

After that. That Should be all the fighter's we get. We then start getting passes that add stuff other than fighters-

First We Get A New Stage Pass-

Stage 1- A New Donkey Kong Stage

Stage 2- A New Metroid Stage

Stage 3- A New Kirby Stage

Stage 4- Nintendo Land

Stage 5- Either An Excitebike Stage Or A Gyromite Stage

Either It could be new stages or old stages. Either way. Such a thing would be epic to have.

After that. We Get A Costume Pack Stage (For other character's and not just the Mii's)-

Pack 1- A Mario Costume Pack (In Which You Get New Outfits For The Mario Characters)

Pack 2- A Legend Of Zelda Costume Pack (In Which You get New Costumes For Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, And Maybe Even Toon Link)

Pack 3- A Star Fox Costume Pack (In Which You Get New Costumes For Fox, Falco, And Wolf)

Pack 4- A Fire Emblem Costume Pack (Don't need to explain this one)

Pack 5- A Third Party Character Costume Pack (In Which You get costumes for Solid Snake, Simon Belmont, Sonic, Cloud Stife, ect)

After that. We Get a Old Single Player Mode Pack-

Pack 1- Break The Targets

Pack 2- Board The Platforms

Pack 3- A Boss Rush (Much Like Brawl's Boss Rush)

Pack 4- Event Mode

Pack 5- Smash Run

After that. Give us an online mutiplayer pack.

And then call it a day with adding stuff to Smash Ultimate. And then maybe release a port of Smash Ultimate that contains all the DLC (Similar to Street Fighter 5).

And that would be a satisfying DLC run (If Sakurai could make this happen, that my life would be 100% complete).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sakurai did say "Oh yeah our character" to Namco when Pacman got on stage when he was making the Namco nod and you hear people laughing in the background at Namco Bandai. This is no crazier a hint than chair theory.
Wouldn't that be stronger evidence for it NOT being a Bandai-Namco character, if anything? If he specifically calls Pac-Man "their character," that'd imply there would be no confusion as to who he meant. Why call him just "their character" if they had two?

BlackInk

Smash Lord
The thing is that the Pac-Man topic is ridiculously specific on the word “character”. It’s hard to look away when none of the Namco mii costumes are back yet and the pass is originally the first and final dlc for this game. Also, the last color is extremely likely to be orange. It’s actually extremely weird how well the pieces line up.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
The thing is that the Pac-Man topic is ridiculously specific on the word “character”. It’s hard to look away when none of the Namco mii costumes are back yet and the pass is originally the first and final dlc for this game. Also, the last color is extremely likely to be orange. It’s actually extremely weird how well the pieces line up.
yes it will be a blue character on a orange background. I'm pretty sure

D

Deleted member

I think it's safe to assume that negotiations for further DLC happened between November 1st 2018 and Terry's direct, which was recorded in October. Given Sakurai's comments in Terry's direct, "the finish line keeps being moved further away from me," I don't think Sakurai planned post pass until after Ultimate released. As a result, any post pass character was most likely decided upon this year.
Actualy it was around e3 2019 that Nintendo wanted to do more dlc because of the sales of ultimate according to imran

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Someone told me that there was some copyright leak on Character 5 on Twitter but I can't find it for the life of me.

Can I get some crowdsourcing on this problem?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well that's ridiculous. Why promise more new fighters without finalizing any deals? At minimum, at least two fighters should be planned out specifically. If they want to add more to the roster now, they can, but they had to have finalized deals before they announced it.

Also I got my dates mixed up. The Post Pass DLC fighters were promised on the September direct, not November's Terry direct.
They don't. They can just announce the intention to have more DLC. Notice that unlike last time, they didn't give a specific number of characters, whether music, stages, or Spirits will be included, whether it'll come in the form of a Pass, or a pricepoint. They made no promises, so I don't see why they had to already have locked down characters. They could just have been announcing their intent.
Final Fighter Pass Character- Amaterasu From Okami. Since we don't have a female character. And she should be the final Capcom Character We Get.
Well that's just silly.

Ornl

Smash Ace
But...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I would think more along the lines of X, Zero, Sigma, Bass, maybe Protoman for Megaman. While some are in the final Smash, never forget Chrom is still in Corrin's.

For Street Fighter, I'd bank on anyone who isn't an assist trophy yet. So that leaves room for pretty much anybody in Street Fighter 2 not named Guile.
The AT disconfirms Guile but not Zero?

Well to be fair I think Guile only having two special moves would be a problem for promoting him, as is the fact that Chun-Li tends to be SF character number 2 in crossovers, Smash being an exception simply because of echoes.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Did you say b l u e ?

EDIT: GOD ****** HINATA, THAT'S THE SECOND NINJA IN TWO DAYS
Gotta be quicker than that to beat someone named after a ninja.

Someone told me that there was some copyright leak on Character 5 on Twitter but I can't find it for the life of me.

Can I get some crowdsourcing on this problem?
Can't say I've heard about that. Who told you about it?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
not to crush hopes or anything but I thought Phoenix was killed by so called insiders?
Phoenix hasn't been mentioned by any insiders, outside of Sabi reporting on the French journalist leak being fake (which she didn't even deconfirm herself, she just quoted the journalist himself saying it was fake).

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
not to crush hopes or anything but I thought Phoenix was killed by so called insiders?
Only that specific leak, not Phoenix himself. In theory, it's no different from all the fake Banjo leaks.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Wouldn't that be stronger evidence for it NOT being a Bandai-Namco character, if anything? If he specifically calls Pac-Man "their character," that'd imply there would be no confusion as to who he meant. Why call him just "their character" if they had two?
There is implied confusion with the “oh yeah, our company’s character,” line. If the exchange was fully understandable, why didn’t they say “oh yeah, Pac-Man,”? From the way Sakurai is telling the story, it heavily implies Namco is doing their best at hiding something big and Sakurai is heavily misleading them with “your character”.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I don't have much faith in there being a third Street Fighter rep if Sakurai's intention from the start was to bring as many worlds together as he could (even if what he thought he had to work with prior was only 5 characters). Adding another Street Fighter character wouldn't be branching out the 'worlds' so to speak, just building upon one that is represented fine with the shoto boys.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Watch that end up being Phoenix Wright From ace attorney on the Nintendo ds system rated T for teen
look personally I think colour theory is kind of dumb but if it is orange it would be a Namco character that's blue. So KOS-MOS is the only option there or Nightmare in his Azure armour

D

Deleted member

The AT disconfirms Guile but not Zero?

Well to be fair I think Guile only having two special moves would be a problem for promoting him, as is the fact that Chun-Li tends to be SF character number 2 in crossovers, Smash being an exception simply because of echoes.
I just threw Zero out there because I'm biased toward him.

Douglas J. Walker 94

Banned via Warnings
They don't. They can just announce the intention to have more DLC. Notice that unlike last time, they didn't give a specific number of characters, whether music, stages, or Spirits will be included, whether it'll come in the form of a Pass, or a pricepoint. They made no promises, so I don't see why they had to already have locked down characters. They could just have been announcing their intent.

Well that's just silly.
Why would that be silly. I'd much rather it A goddess dog who uses a celetial brush to fight as the 5th character as opposed to the 5th fighter being another uninteresting Sword fighter (No offense to the people who were hoping for a sword fighter as the 5th DLC fighter)

One sword fighter per fighter pass is more that enough (Smash Ultimate's DLC roster needs just as much fighter variety as the Base Roster).

And since Ammy is a bit more Cartoony that the other DLC choices (The Joker From Persona, Larry From Dragon Quest 11, Terry Bogart From Fatal Fury).

I think it's fair to say that Smash Ultimate needs more Cartoony platforming character to balance out the realistic looking Humans in the DLC roster.

BTW Mr G.G 741? What would your choice be for the 5th DLC fighter (I'm all ears).

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There is implied confusion with the “oh yeah, our company’s character,” line. If the exchange was fully understandable, why didn’t they say “oh yeah, Pac-Man,”?
But that's my point. The fact that they immediately realized he was talking about Pac-Man and didn't then ask "which one of our characters," if anything, implies no additional Bandai-Namco character.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
But that's my point. The fact that they immediately realized he was talking about Pac-Man and didn't then ask "which one of our characters," if anything, implies no additional Bandai-Namco character.
Why would they give away that they're receiving a second character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom