• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Alright time to ask a fun question.

Assuming the next fighter is not from Capcom and Bandai Namco, who do you feel is the most likely character?
I don't think that Konami, Sega, Squenix, Microsoft or SNK will have a new Fighter before the end of the FP. Hayabusa isn't the 5th Fighter, and I don't think that Dynasty Warriors is more likely. Here is where it would stay IMO:
Overwatch - Yo-kai Watch - Touhou Project - Story of Seasons - Souls - Professor Layton - Guilty Gear - NieR - The Elder Scroll

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Assuming the next fighter is not from Capcom and Bandai Namco, who do you feel is the most likely character?
All in on my TimeSplitting dude!

It's time to split fast.gif

If Cortez does get in, he will be the first DLC character to have an item represent his series because the Motion Sensor Bomb came from Goldeneye's proximity mine and TimeSplitters is a spiritual successor to Goldeneye which also has a proximity mine so it will no longer be a Smash original item.

D

Deleted member

"This video is not available in your region" At least the Switch is region free...
Dammit, stopped by copyright again. It was just The Incredibles theme. We can't have HD Smash Flash without my main Mr. Incredible.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Just as Luffy reaches out to it, it's claimed by the true Pirate King...

CAPTAIN BUGGY-SAMA!
Nah. I'm sure Sakurai told Oda that Big Mom should take the invitation because without Mai we need more thicc ladies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I just think Hero and Banjo could’ve been executed way better than what we had. Sure the way I thought Hero should’ve been designed sounded boring, but they had the intentions of making Hero fun while reasonable. Banjo’s gimmick was legitimately awful, it felt like Sakurai was done with working on him since the rough draft of the character design.
In my opinion Banjo and Hero are some of the most fun characters on the roster, I don't see any problems with them (besides crits, those can probably go). Terry's OK, and I really don't like Joker's playstyle (I wouldn't change it though, he has his fans).

Either Arle Nadja or Dhovakiin.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Either Sakura Shinguji from Sakura Wars, or Shantae

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Nah. I'm sure Sakurai told Oda that Big Mom should take the invitation because without Mai we need more thicc ladies.
Fun One Piece fact for those that are unfamiliar: Big Mom canonically has had 85 children, has had 43 husbands, and looks like this:

Clearly a 10/10 waifu. She's in, guys.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I never watch those completely. :/ I skim. I should pay more attention though if I miss out on s*** like Dorpsewoner
It's Dorpsbewoner, you uneducated piece of..

Anyway, yeah, that's Dutch. And our language sucks. If you'd come to Amsterdam you probably wonder why we even speak it, because the whole city rather speaks English right now.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
But it undeniably does complicate the situation when a series pivots to a new character, even as the daughter of Professor Layton proper, at least for people who are less aware of the titles or have fallen off after years and just see a new Layton game advertised through Lady Layton as opposed to the Professor Layton they may have once known. That sort of decision does tend to effect perception of your series and its characters.

And that's kind of my point. Lady Layton came and went without fanfare and stands as the most recent game in the series after most people would agree that Layton got a bit saturated quite quickly in the DS era. Much like Yokai Watch, Level 5 tripled down on a successful IP until the luster wore off and people just became less interested (I knew several people who just got behind on the Layton games and just stopped caring because they were coming out so frequently). I don't think Level 5 has really done much to rehabilitate that image, and Lady Layton being controversial like you said further contributes to Layton as a whole just being less of a presence in people's minds. A black sheep as the most recent release combined with how pretty much mishandled the series was in terms of its sudden rise to success means it falls further and further out of favor in the public consciousness. I mean seriously, the first 4 Layton games were released in a 2 year period, and then you had Layton go without a release for 4 years to land on Lady Layton after Arazan Legacy. That sort of situation will hurt any franchise with over-exposure followed by sudden lack of exposure.

Meanwhile, compare that to Ace Attorney, which regularly has crossover appearances in other titles (Thanks in large part due to how Capcom operates), gets his games re-released with a fair amount of fanfare every couple of years, and hasn't really seen the same dropoff that I know Layton experienced at any point. It's just been an overall more consistent IP that Capcom has managed better than Level 5 has managed Layton. And just genuinely, I see more of the Smash fan base rallying around Phoenix Wright than I do around Layton at this point.

I think Layton has a chance and certainly still has fans as you pointed out, but I'm just trying to explain why Layton seems so much less favored in speculation these days (and honestly both of them have suffered from the whole, "Wait, we can get which third party characters now?" thing that the "more standard mid-tier Nintendo associated third parties" have suffered from).
I mean, isn't that basically why Sakurai is doing these showcases now? To inform newcomers to the franchise as well as giving them a good starting point if they are interested in trying the series out?

The original trilogy is currently receiving HD remasters on IOS and Android, and potentially also the Switch. If Sakurai needs to introduce new players to the series, especially those that feature Hershel himself over his daughter, he can redirect them towards the HD remasters that are released on IOS and Android devices, I'd imagine that it would be no skin off his back. After all, this is the same guy who told everyone to buy an XBOX...

That seems to be more of a Level-5 issue than a Layton series issue, like you said, they pulled this same stunt with the Yokai Watch series after how much of a huge hit it turned out to be in Japan. However, I don't really see Sakurai avoiding any characters just based off a company's business practices.
Oversaturation can be a problem yes unless you're called Pokemon however, the series has been seeing more demand for a return to form.

Moreover, its not like the Ace Attorney series is having it any better considering how the divisive the 3DS entries where, in fact, the second trilogies haven't been too kind to either series really. Whereas their original trilogies have been largely regarded as classics. In fact Nintendo Life's recent poll of best DS games had pretty much all entries in the Layton series present there with the third entry being present right in the top 10. So the series is still very much beloved and fondly remembered by many gamers.

Fair enough, both series do have quite a steep competition, but at the end of the day, it all falls up to Sakurai, if he wants a Level-5 character, I doubt he would care too much to how a given series was handled throughout its lifespan. At the end of the day, the Layton series was a big deal during the DS era and it has contributed a lot towards modern gaming as even Miyamoto himself acknowledged. He'd be included based on those metric's and the audience he can bring. Much like how it went for a number of other characters.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Anyway, yeah, that's Dutch. And our language sucks. If you'd come to Amsterdam you probably wonder why we even speak it, because the whole city rather speaks English right now.
Not really, I was too busy wondering why everyone's trying to run over me with their bicycles.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306

Geez... I was gonna say a Dark Souls character but they’re Bamco...
Maybe a Bethesda character then? Or something Koei Techmo related? That or it could be Sora.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Sol.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Fun One Piece fact for those that are unfamiliar: Big Mom canonically has had 85 children, has had 43 husbands, and looks like this:

Clearly a 10/10 waifu. She's in, guys.
Wasn't it also canon that she was more conventionally attractive when she was younger? I mean, Oda really can't help himself when it comes to that.

First-party character, duh. About time that Elma makes it in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If we're talking about Super Smash Flash reps, this crossover won't be complete until I get my boy Blade in Smash.
Can we count cut characters from Flash 2 as well? We can't get Neo because he's not a game character, but we can at least settle for Azrael.

Man, this game's done a complete 180

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

Honestly? Probably Layton, Reimu, or Sol Badguy. If Bamco and Capcom are out, we might be getting something completely out of left field. I don't feel comfortable putting my bets on one specific character yet, but whoever it's gonna be, it's prolly gonna catch everyone off-guard like Terry did.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
People overestimate Monster Hunter's chances.
I honestly think the MH team couldn't care less about Smash, and its because Monster Hunter doesn't need any more promotion or exposure, literally next week they're gonna drop even more free content, in the form of what? You guessed it. A (returning) Monster.
We already have MH representation in Smash, in the form of Rathalos (and a couple of tracks), and I mean makes sense, specially considering how much care they put into each and every single monster in the games, that's the most important part and Im 100% sure the developers are incredibly honored to have the mascot and face of the franchise already in the game.
Its because of the importance the monsters have, they aren't that fancy of letting the hunter take the spotlight, you can say that was the case for MvC:I but I think that was more of a Capcom's attempt to give the game a bit more appeal to fans, and not the other way around.
What Im trying to say is: Monster Hunter is as good as it is right now, and aside from maybe more music, the franchise is perfectly represented in Smash, probaly the MH team thinks so too.
Of course Capcom and Sakurai have the final word but I can't see a reason why the hunter should join the fight at this point.

Its so good to be a Monster Hunter fan nowadays, anyone hyped for Stygian Zinogre?! (if they are adding subspecies maybe Raging Brachydios has a shot!) just let me be im a mh fanboy :(

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not really, I was too busy wondering why everyone's trying to run over me with their bicycles.
Cause they can't cycle for ****. I'm a garbage collector in the city, I wanted to be placed to a different side of the city because you see STUPID **** all day like.. people driving their bicycles (sometimes carrying children) RIGHT TOWARDS THE GARBAGE TRUCK DRIVING BACKWARDS. This summer was the worst.. had to shout people if they're stupid and why the **** I had to value their life and safety more than they do.

I'm happier and calmer now.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

If it's not Namco or Capcom and we assume Sega, Microsoft, Square Enix, SNK and all the characters that Vergeben and Sabi have deconfirmed these last days are out, I think the likeliest options are:
- Level 5
- Arc System Works
- Reimu
- Travis Touchdown

At least that's how I see it.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I'm going to laugh my ass off if after all this predictions about company representation. He ends up picking an indie no one saw coming.
Cuphead confirmed guys.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Cause they can't cycle for ****. I'm a garbage collector in the city, I wanted to be placed to a different side of the city because you see STUPID **** all day like.. people driving their bicycles (sometimes carrying children) RIGHT TOWARDS THE GARBAGE TRUCK DRIVING BACKWARDS. This summer was the worst.. had to shout people if they're stupid and why the **** I had to value their life and safety more than they do.

I'm happier and calmer now.
That sounds rough, glad things worked out for you.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Can't wait for the Game Awards to start and as the lights dim, we hear "Kaizoku ou ni ore wa naru!" and everyone has visible confusion.
The trailer will feature Toon Link on his ship being menaced by King K. Rool only for a Gum Gum Pistol to smack him aside and I and I alone start losing my ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom