• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
There is a long list of Nintendo characters that deserve to be in before Byleth.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
There are a long list of Nintendo characters that deserve to be in before Byleth.
Agreed. Nintendo has so many possibilities when it comes to first party characters that would be waaaaaay more unique than another FE character (no offense to all you FE fans).

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Agreed. Nintendo has so many possibilities when it comes to first party characters that would be waaaaaay more unique than another FE character (no offense to all you FE fans).
First Party DLC.png

Also, Sabi confirmed a new Crash game.
I hope the rumored Crash Bandicoot Worlds is real!

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Fire Emblem owns it's continued existence and popularity thanks to Smash. Let them get special treatment. It actually makes sense here.
I want Byleth in, but I think the only Fire Emblem character that deserves "special treatment" is Roy because he freaking debuted in Smash.
There is a long list of Nintendo characters that deserve to be in before Byleth.
...like who and why? I mean I know Trevor BelMarth, let alone Shill Emblem, isn't everyone's favorite and doesn't have a "legacy" behind it, but I don't know what you mean behind "deserve". Can you please elaborate?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Not pictured: Ribbon Girl and Toadette as alts/echoes for Spring Man and Toad.
This is actually the way I intended it, but I wasn't sure how they would be pictured in a DLC pack.
Also Paper Luigi as a Paper Mario echo.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
There are a long list of Nintendo characters that deserve to be in before Byleth.
Based on what, exactly? 3 Houses was one of the best selling 1st party games of the year and was a hit in all metrics. I'm not sure how the user character from said game falls behind multiple from dead series, characters who are 4th string at best in their own series, or characters who are better suited to be echos. The only thing most of those characters beat Byleth in is fan demand and some of them I'm not even sure have that anymore

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I want Byleth in, but I think the only Fire Emblem character that deserves "special treatment" is Roy because he freaking debuted in Smash.
... Explain this to me.
He should get special treatment... because he was put in purely to shill for a game that hadn't even come out yet and who is only popular because of his smash appearance?

Not Marth, protagonist of four games and the first of the lords (and at this point, de facto mascot)?
Not Ike, the bar none, most popular Fire Emblem character of all time?
Not Robin/Chrom, the protagonists of the game that revitalized interest in the series?

If anything, I'd put him first on the chopping block if it comes to it.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I love how Fire Emblem kept getting lucky with 3 low effort clones yet people still always freak the **** out about the possibility of more
Because people not understanding that clones/echos don't steal spots from unique fighters is one of the biggest issues with certain parts of the Smash fanbase. Seems like after every game we hear about how Dark Pit and Lucina got in because there wasn't enough time to make a unique fighter but there was enough time to make more fighters, but that doesn't stop people from screaming about how they got in over Bandana Dee or someone else.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not Marth, protagonist of four games and the first of the lords (and at this point, de facto mascot)?
Marth is more consistent in Fire Emblem than the Fire Emblem is in Fire Emblem.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Deliberately causing trouble or saying things purely to provoke a negative reaction. (usually, no reason's given for those kind of statements; they're just said because the poster knows that it will upset/annoy/anger people)
So ranting about the cause of my negative reaction is trolling???

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Can we please please please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go one game without Fire Emblem getting special treatment?

Any possible argument you can make for their inclusion can be made for tons of other franchises -AND- with the advantage of adding a whole new universe to Smash Bros, instead of one we have become irritatingly familiar with for several games in a row.

I don't hate FE. I've played most of the series and it has some of my favorite characters in it. But I would really rather let new franchises take the stage and shine, instead of just giving more to a franchise that already has a lot. It's not just FE I take this stance with - I'd rather see new franchises than revisit an old franchise, and within a revisited franchise I'd rather see different games represented than the same one several times over.
Anyway, stan Edelgard or Byleth for Smash Ultimate for clear skin!!!

IMG_20190823_104058.jpg

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Speaking of Nintendo first parties, I'd rather if we got Toad that we got Captian Toad honestly. I feel like they've put a lot into making Captain Toad his own distinct character that would have a lot of moves to pull from as opposed to a basic Toad. That said if I had a choice in a new Mario rep I'd pick Paper Mario, and have all of his partners from 64 to Color Splash show up for his final Smash.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
We shouldn't ignore the fact that Sakurai said, post-Corrin, that there were indeed too many evil anime swordsmen and that Corrin was the final straw on the camel's back. Even though we got Chrom, he's just an Echo. Perhaps he meant full-fledged fighters? Or maybe since there are no cuts, there's nothing stopping him from adding more FE content?

Whatever it is, we shouldn't go off the rails expecting a 3 Houses character. Rather, let's agree to just not be surprised if one does show up.

Last edited:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Boxboy could be a fun new character to play as. Game and Watch is the only strictly 2D character, so having another would finally give him someone who he can interact with, without worrying about his infinitely sharp edges from cutting. :p

Is he likely, no, but he is on my list now of characters I would be excited join.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
If Raiden got into Smash, would he be a Snake echo or a Bayo echo?
View attachment 247244

For real though, it's not an issue to do with the misogyny of Smash Brothers producers, Sakurai or Nintendo themselves which results in fewer female characters than we'd like but it's an industry wide problem which generates a lack of female video game protagonists in comparison to an abundance of male protagonists. I'd really like some more gender *and* race variety in Smash, but you'll see the more popular fighter picks are results of a male dominated workplace in the industry and thus either very sexualised women or hyper masculine men.

Now obviously there are exceptions, but on a general scale my point applies. Also why the **** are people feminist bashing in a Smash thread? Get a life lol.

Because you feminist types keep pushing your bad politics here?

The majority of older gaming icons are male because they were created by males and they were created mainly by nerdy guys for other nerdy guys and created this market out of nothing except purely wanting it. There were no forced quota bs, a woman can still come along and create some cool female if they wanted but guess what they generally don’t. No one is stopping them like no one was stopping most of the nerdy guys who started gaming.

That has nothing to do with sexism. There will never likely never be the same amount of women in certain techie nerdy things as men unless you force it by dictatorship which is what I imagine everytime I see someone upset that men care about this stuff more than women. Because there aren’t the same amount of men and women interested in such things and that’s it.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
FE characters have literally taken slots in every possible context
Echo fighters? Picked over Alph (Chrom, Lucina), who would've been the second Pikmin representative.
DLC characters? Picked over any other veterans (Roy) and any other contemporary debutees who could've used the popularity boost way more than they did back in the Wii U days
New characters? Literally every single game has gotten someone new in, characters whose franchises might not have died if they had gotten a fraction of the love FE did.

Fire Emblem owns it's continued existence and popularity thanks to Smash. Let them get special treatment. It actually makes sense here.
"Well, at first we just gave them all the special treatment because the franchise really needed it to succeed, but now that the franchise is succeeding we give special treatment because it's doing well."Boy is that a catch 22 if I've ever heard one.

Or we could give that special treatment to other franchises and spread the love. Ween Fire Emblem off of the supple nipple of Smash exposure and let one of Nintendo's malnourised newborns have a sup. It's a fully grown franchise. FE is 29 years old, it should not still be living at home mooching off of it's foster parent.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Boxboy could be a fun new character to play as. Game and Watch is the only strictly 2D character, so having another would finally give him someone who he can interact with, without worrying about his infinitely sharp edges from cutting. :p

Is he likely, no, but he is on my list now of characters I would be excited join.
Mentioned her a few times, but if Sony ever did get on board, another neat 2D character would be Vibri

Stretching limbs and incorporating the different forms could be fun, though attacks would have to largely be made up.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Huzzah, a man of taste!

This is the part where I plug the Qbby support thread. We could always use more activity there.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
God damnit. I just realized that I missed celebrating page 1111.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Anyway 3H has no spirits unlike literally every other big Nintendo release outside of Astral Chain and Sakurai knew 3H would get snubbed big time at TGA because it isn't a Hideo Kojima game, every house leader and Byleth will be announced the TGA due to Sakurai being able to see into the future, screencap this

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
FE characters have literally taken slots in every possible context
Implying taking slots is a real thing

Echo fighters? Picked over Alph (Chrom, Lucina), who would've been the second Pikmin representative.
Alph's unjustified exclusion from the clone club has nothing to do with Fire Emblem, because:

A.) Alph was done this way back in 4, which brought back :4drmario:, who was going to be a costume like :4lucina:/:4darkpit: originally and Alph. Alph, in the end, was the only one of the costumes who wasn't converted into a clone. No reason has been stated for why he's been given this treatment to the day, and it's unreasonable to blame it on Fire Emblem when Kid Icarus and Dr. Mario should also be responsible for some reason.

B.) IIRC, Chrom's inclusion was based off demand from the Smash Ballot, like other characters such as Ridley, K. Rool, Simon, etc. If Alph wasn't decloned, I assume Alph didn't get that far in the ballot to get decloned. That isn't favoritism from Sakurai, that's the people, the audience, the fans, demanding Chrom.

DLC characters? Picked over any other veterans (Roy) and any other contemporary debutees who could've used the popularity boost way more than they did back in the Wii U days
Roy was heavily requested to return from Melee after a 15 year absence, similar to :4mewtwo:. The same could've been said for Snake and Wolf, adding the fact they brought back :4lucas:, but Roy was ultimately chosen. Corrin though, I agree with. I will never agree with the decision to include Corrin. The Smash 4 DLC was half veterans, though. Blaming it all on Fire Emblem for having 2/7 pieces of the pie is absurd.

New characters? Literally every single game has gotten someone new in, characters whose franchises might not have died if they had gotten a fraction of the love FE did.
Smash Bros. may have gotten Fire Emblem localized internationally, but Fire Emblem's heavy revival in 2013 was all thanks to Awakening. Other series dying shouldn't be blamed by the hands of Fire Emblem. Nintendo simply chose to not make more Golden Sun games. Nintendo was stupid with what direction they should've taken Chibi-Robo in. And sometimes they just forget games exist in general, such as Sin & Punishment and Custom Robo.

Hell, Smash Bros. only revived one series, and it's because Sakurai decided to make the game himself. :4pit: You don't see Mother 4, Punch-Out, Duck Hunt 2, a new original Castlevania, or a new Donkey Kong Country with K. Rool's return. Bringing in characters isn't usually with the intent to revive franchises.

Ween Fire Emblem off of the supple nipple of Smash exposure and let one of Nintendo's malnourised newborns have a sup.
The only "newborn" that's "malnourished" is Astral Chain in terms of sales. However, it's already gotten a nominee in the Game Awards, so in that regards it's only starving in financial reception, not critical reception.

FE is 29 years old, it should not still be living at home mooching off of it's foster parent.
It isn't. It never has been. If "Everyone is Here!" never happened, I guarantee you a lot of FE characters would've been cut.

If you're going to point fingers, I'd suggest pointing them at Sakurai, the person who chooses what goes in the game, not the series he chooses. And in the end, Sakurai chooses whatever he damn pleases, as long as they're fun to make or whatever nonsense that was about.

EDIT: In the end, you still don't have to support Fire Emblem characters if you don't want to. But maybe instead of creating convoluted reasons as to why they should never ever set foot in Smash again, it'd be easier to just say "I don't want another Fire Emblem character" and leave the argument at that because that's respectable enough.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Roy was heavily requested to return from Melee after a 25 year absence, similar to :4mewtwo:.
25 years?! Lol.
If Melee to Smash 4 Roy was 25 years, Then that would make Melee 29 years old now, which would make me 36.
I'm 25. Bad math, bro.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Implying taking slots is a real thing

Alph's unjustified exclusion from the clone club has nothing to do with Fire Emblem, because:

A.) Alph was done this way back in 4, which brought back :4drmario:, who was going to be a costume like :4lucina:/:4darkpit: originally and Alph. Alph, in the end, was the only one of the costumes who wasn't converted into a clone. No reason has been stated for why he's been given this treatment to the day, and it's unreasonable to blame it on Fire Emblem when Kid Icarus and Dr. Mario should also be responsible for some reason.

B.) IIRC, Chrom's inclusion was based off demand from the Smash Ballot, like other characters such as Ridley, K. Rool, Simon, etc. If Alph wasn't decloned, I assume Alph didn't get that far in the ballot to get decloned. That isn't favoritism from Sakurai, that's the people, the audience, the fans, demanding Chrom.

Roy was heavily requested to return from Melee after a 15 year absence, similar to :4mewtwo:. The same could've been said for Snake and Wolf, adding the fact they brought back :4lucas:, but Roy was ultimately chosen. Corrin though, I agree with. I will never agree with the decision to include Corrin. The Smash 4 DLC was half veterans, though. Blaming it all on Fire Emblem for having 2/7 pieces of the pie is absurd.

Smash Bros. may have gotten Fire Emblem localized internationally, but Fire Emblem's heavy revival in 2013 was all thanks to Awakening. Other series dying shouldn't be blamed by the hands of Fire Emblem. Nintendo simply chose to not make more Golden Sun games. Nintendo was stupid with what direction they should've taken Chibi-Robo in. And sometimes they just forget games exist in general, such as Sin & Punishment and Custom Robo.

Hell, Smash Bros. only revived one series, and it's because Sakurai decided to make the game himself. :4pit: You don't see Mother 4, Punch-Out, Duck Hunt 2, a new original Castlevania, or a new Donkey Kong Country with K. Rool's return. Bringing in characters isn't usually with the intent to revive franchises.

The only "newborn" that's "malnourished" is Astral Chain in terms of sales. However, it's already gotten a nominee in the Game Awards, so in that regards it's only starving in financial reception, not critical reception.

It isn't. It never has been. If "Everyone is Here!" never happened, I guarantee you a lot of FE characters would've been cut.

If you're going to point fingers, I'd suggest pointing them at Sakurai, the person who chooses what goes in the game, not the series he chooses. And in the end, Sakurai chooses whatever he damn pleases, as long as they're fun to make or whatever nonsense that was about.

EDIT: In the end, you still don't have to support Fire Emblem characters if you don't want to. But maybe instead of creating convoluted reasons as to why they should never ever set foot in Smash again, it'd be easier to just say "I don't want another Fire Emblem character" and leave the argument at that because that's respectable enough.
So Sakurai thinks it’s fun to put characters like Inkling and Sheik into a game with rage and comeback mechanics...

Kokiden

Smash Ace
SwSh's getting spirits in Smash

and we still haven't gotten 3 Houses and Astral Chain spirits think emoji
I am so happy there's a Corviknight spirit. Corvi has become my favourite bird Pokemon design thus far. Without a doubt the most badass bird Pokemon we've got to date.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
People will actually try to dispute this lmao
Donkey Kong is one of Nintendo's best selling franchises. It has 3 characters.
Fire Emblem has 7. Hell, ****ing ZELDA has 6!
We don't need more Fire Emblem until we get Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Cranky Kong, Impa, Tingle, Midna, and Skull Kid.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So Sakurai thinks it’s fun to put characters like Inkling and Sheik into a game with rage and comeback mechanics...
Big man in the sky don't lie if his name is Sak-u-rai.

People will actually try to dispute this lmao
There's a lot of people who considerably "deserve" to be in a crossover after so much fan demand and length of time of said demand. Some people get privileges though. Those privileges are like people who skip the line. And I believe Byleth just happens to be one of those lucky suckers. :p

Did Incineroar 'deserve' to be in Smash before the boomer king Geno himself? Nope, but goddamn does that shiny Pokemon logo need arbitrary demands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom