• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Over Mipha hell yeah, Revali could be a tonne of fun though. Multi jumps, strong projectiles, good taunts.
I'll only ever accept any of the champions if they are dubbed into every language, because the German dub for BotW was surprisingly great, especially Revali.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Can we please please please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go one game without Fire Emblem getting special treatment?

Any possible argument you can make for their inclusion can be made for tons of other franchises -AND- with the advantage of adding a whole new universe to Smash Bros, instead of one we have become irritatingly familiar with for several games in a row.

I don't hate FE. I've played most of the series and it has some of my favorite characters in it. But I would really rather let new franchises take the stage and shine, instead of just giving more to a franchise that already has a lot. It's not just FE I take this stance with - I'd rather see new franchises than revisit an old franchise, and within a revisited franchise I'd rather see different games represented than the same one several times over.
I agree on that. I like Fire Emblem. I liked Fire Emblem Three Houses. I liked its characters. I would probably even like one if these in Smash. But give it a break, and bring Nintendo series that are yet to be represented by a fighter first.

The only thing most of those characters beat Byleth in is fan demand
Sakurai said he wanted to please the fans.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Enough of Links, we need another Ganon, the original one.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I agree that 7 are too much, but on the other hand, most Sonic characters have potential to be pretty unique moveset-wise.
Well, partially unique, because I'm sure they'd all get some spindash-like moves no matter who the character is, but still...

If I had to choice more Sonic characters, I'd go for Knuckles and Amy only, because they're the ones I feel they fit the best in a fighting game.

Tails is cool but unless you play hard on gimmicks, there isn't much he can do aside of swinging his tails like a sword and rolling like Sonic. If they have to put in a gimmicky character based on inventions, I'd rather get Prof. E. Gadd.
Eggman is cool too but too much similar to Bowser Jr in concept, so it's low priority for me.
I'd like Blaze too because I like the character, but gameplay-wise I fear she would be pretty basic like Sonic (but with flames); though her fighting style could be spectacular if they make her fight while "dancing".
Shadow would be cool as well, but maybe more as an echo... I dunno, the thing I like the most of Shadow is a potential Radical Highway stage more than the character himself.
Blaze and Shadow will have really cool gimmicks. The previous character can be so ridiculously stylish, explosive, and set up stuff with her fire. Shadow is the kind of character who can have a chaos gimmick, he recovers from his teleportation, throws spears, and boost.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Blaze and Shadow will have really cool gimmicks. The previous character can be so ridiculously stylish, explosive, and set up stuff with her fire. Shadow is the kind of character who can have a chaos gimmick, he recovers from his teleportation, throws spears, and boost.
Realistically, I see Shadow as a Sonic Echo with Mewtwo's Up B and Bayonetta's Down B. Call it "Chaos Control".
As an avid Sonic fan, I can tell you that Shadow is literally a Sonic clone in the canon games. Sonic Adventure 2, clone. Sonic Heroes, clone. Sonic.... *Holds back vomit* 06, damn near a clone. Sonic Forces, clone. It's like Donkey Kong and Funky Kong. So an Echo is most plausible with those two minor variations I mentioned.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's funny how sales=character number argument is only ever used against Fire Emblem.

I don't see anyone complaining about Metroid having more characters than Donkey Kong or Animal Crossing having less than Star Fox.
But I do complain that DKC has less than Metroid. It's just weird, especially since Dixie makes more sense than Dark Samus.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want more Fire Emblem, but not before more DKC and Zelda. Kirby should arguably get another character in before too.

Too bad we're not getting ANYTHING like that because it's third party overload right now.

Eventually, this makes me miss the Fire Emblem newcomer overload from Smash 4. Except for Banjo, I ****ing love Banjo.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
People are just mad FE saved itself from dying and became a major Nintendo IP and their favourite franchises didn't achieve that
I mean, if you want to be technical, Kirby went through that cycle as well, albeit without achieving the excess Smash newcomers it could've had.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean, if you want to be technical, Kirby went through that cycle as well, albeit without achieving the excess Smash newcomers it could've had.
When was Kirby ever in danger of dying? It had regular releases yes but this is the first I'm hearing of Kirby having been in danger of cancellation and miraculously rising up and becoming a major IP

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
When was Kirby ever in danger of dying? It had regular releases yes but this is the first I'm hearing of Kirby having been in danger of cancellation and miraculously rising up and becoming a major IP
I was loosely referring to the era between Air Ride and Return to Dreamland where Kirby was somewhat in a bind on handhelds and experimental games before going big in 2011. I suppose it's not exactly the same scenario, but the skeletons of resurgence are at least somewhat present in both series.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Kirby should arguably get another character in before too.
Kirby should get at least 3 or even more characters to be honest... The cast bacame bigger with time and many characters are sticking around, even if they were intended to be one shot at first.

I have a personal bias for Adeleine, ok, but aside of that, Magolor is also becoming a new main character... he's everywhere and is being treated like Meta Knight recently (minus the boss fights).
Other characters such as Daroach and Gooey are becoming more and more popular with time and they're getting some merchandise as well.

The growth of the Kirby cast can't be ignored, it's severely underrepresented so far, and it's a big missed opportunity since all the Kirby characters have very unique gameplay styles.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I was loosely referring to the era between Air Ride and Return to Dreamland where Kirby was somewhat in a bind on handhelds and experimental games before going big in 2011. I suppose it's not exactly the same scenario, but the skeletons of resurgence are at least somewhat present in both series.
I can't agree as that's still pretending Kirby was on the edge of cancellation when Kirby's always been Nintendo's go to franchise for experimental spinoffs alongside how we still got multiple traditional games and beloved remakes

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Anyone here think they will drop outfit DLC's later on down the line?

When Bayo 3 drops, I'd love to use that alt in smash.

I would also like for Zelda to go back to her TP design since I'm not a fan of the loli / childlike look.

Bowser in his wedding suit, Peach with costumes in any of the Mario games, Joker wearing his casual everyday clothes, etc. There's just so many possibilities.

The only character that comes to mind who has the best range of alt costumes is Link. BOTW, classic tunic, Hylian, and dark Link alt. They did well with Link.

If Nintendo are smart, they'll know that us fans will go crazy over such DLC, and it's a way for them to ensure longevity for the game.

They released a Sans mii costume and a song for him. So it's not completely out of the question right?

osby

Smash Obsessed
They released a Sans mii costume and a song for him. So it's not completely out of the question right?
We are getting Mii costumes since Smash 4, Sans only proves that they can come with music tracks.

Seeing how Ultimate painstakingly gave every character equal amounts of alts, I don't see Sakurai breaking the trend in DLC.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Kirby should get at least 3 or even more characters to be honest... The cast bacame bigger with time and many characters are sticking around, even if they were intended to be one shot at first.

I have a personal bias for Adeleine, ok, but aside of that, Magolor is also becoming a new main character... he's everywhere and is being treated like Meta Knight recently (minus the boss fights).
Other characters such as Daroach and Gooey are becoming more and more popular with time and they're getting some merchandise as well.

The growth of the Kirby cast can't be ignored, it's severely underrepresented so far, and it's a big missed opportunity since all the Kirby characters have very unique gameplay styles.
I think it's a bit early to conclude that a lot of the characters that were just recently brought back are becoming regularly reoccuring characters in the series, Star Allies was a game about celebrating the series' history, and so we saw a lot of characters getting mini-revivals, but we can't know if they'll stick around yet or if the focus on bringing past characters back was a one-off. I would like for them to stick around, maybe not every single Dream Friend as things would get very cluttered over time, but at least the most notable and popular ones (the ones you mentioned by name would all make for good reoccuring characters imo). On a personal level Magolor would be especially cool, his boss fight had a big focus on portals, and he could both attack and travel through them, just that concept alone could make for such a unique and interesting character in Smash.

However, I still think it's a bit early to say Kirby's roster should be outright doubled, for now the main cast is still Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight and Bandana Dee, maybe that changes with the next mainline installment, but that's at least how I see the situation at present. We don't even have Bandana Dee in the game yet, so any other potential additions from the series are obviously some ways off anyways.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
I never said it couldn't happen, I just said that I disagree with the notion that we should have WOOMAN for the sake of MOAR WOOMAN. (I know I've said it before, but I said it again.) If there are more characters that get in that happen to be women, then okay. If not, then oh well.

Hey wait a second...

How did you know?
View attachment 247316
(I'd prefer Byleth BTW.)

WHat are you talking about?
I agree with that. That is crazy. I forgot the source, but I remember seeing on some poll that Dimitri was the most popular of the three lords despite Edelgard (who was the least popular lord on that poll) supposedly being deployed more often. In any case, make sure to remember D.A.B.:
Dimitri
Alexandre
Blaiddyd

Can't wait for that sweet Hanneman DLC.

I think Three Houses especially is likely, but I agree. They aren't locks just because "OOOOOOO they have no SpIIRiTs".

Alm from Fire Emblem Gaiden
Lol I didn’t even realize I had a typo

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Realistically, I see Shadow as a Sonic Echo with Mewtwo's Up B and Bayonetta's Down B. Call it "Chaos Control".
As an avid Sonic fan, I can tell you that Shadow is literally a Sonic clone in the canon games. Sonic Adventure 2, clone. Sonic Heroes, clone. Sonic.... *Holds back vomit* 06, damn near a clone. Sonic Forces, clone. It's like Donkey Kong and Funky Kong. So an Echo is most plausible with those two minor variations I mentioned.
He did play differently in Sonic and the Black Knight. :4pacman:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Can we please please please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go one game without Fire Emblem getting special treatment?

Any possible argument you can make for their inclusion can be made for tons of other franchises -AND- with the advantage of adding a whole new universe to Smash Bros, instead of one we have become irritatingly familiar with for several games in a row.

I don't hate FE. I've played most of the series and it has some of my favorite characters in it. But I would really rather let new franchises take the stage and shine, instead of just giving more to a franchise that already has a lot. It's not just FE I take this stance with - I'd rather see new franchises than revisit an old franchise, and within a revisited franchise I'd rather see different games represented than the same one several times over.
You say that like they always get a butt ton of characters. Melee only got two, one to rep the franchise and the other as a bonus. Brawl dropped one and added a new one from one of the biggest games in the franchise. Smash 4 added one actual character, a bonus character, brought back the dropped character, and then marketing added another full character. Ultimate only gave us a bonus character. Out of the four I'd say Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U were the only ones to give Fire Emblem special treatment.

...Magolor is also becoming a new main character... he's everywhere and is being treated like Meta Knight recently (minus the boss fights).
I'm pretty sure he's only appeared in Kirby Returns to Dreamland and Kirby Star Allies. (He probably appears in the Stone ability as well but I don't think that really counts.)
I feel like he'd also be ever so slightly slower, but more powerful. This kinda change didn't work for Dr. Mario, but since Sonic is the fastest character in the game, this design wouldn't likely be that big of a nerf to the character. And since he wouldn't have two special moves that act the same he might even be better than Sonic anyway. lol

EDIT: According to Gamexplain Pokémon Sword & Shield are flying off the shelves. Guess that means they're gonna continue their highly annoying development practices brought by The Pokémon Company's 1-2 year deadlines. *sigh*

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
What new first party franchises do you guys even want? There’s not a whole lot. I wouldn’t mind Golden Sun, Chibi Robo & Rhythm Heaven but that’s all base roster material IMO.

There’s not really any Nintendo series that feeling “missing” IMO; everything left is a smaller series that’s probably dead for the foreseeable future, they might be good games but they didn’t really leave that much of an impact on Nintendo/gaming.

Arms & Ring Fit are new IPs so we’ll see if they get sequels. I low key want Ring Fit girl to replace Wii Fit in the next game though tbh

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Arms & Ring Fit are new IPs so we’ll see if they get sequels. I low key want Ring Fit girl to replace Wii Fit in the next game though tbh
I despise the notion of replacing a character with another one, but the Ring Fit Adventure protagonist would be pretty cool.

EDIT: Though I suppose if they're added to the next game they would probably fill the niche that Wii Fit Trainer left behind, as I highly doubt we'll see the Wii Fit Trainer again.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm pretty sure he's only appeared in Kirby Returns to Dreamland and Kirby Star Allies. (He probably appears in the Stone ability as well but I don't think that really counts.)
-He's the "boss" of the ability challenge levels in the Dream Collection (Wii)
-His music theme is the final level of Dedede Drum Dash Deluxe, where Magolor himself appears as a stage obstacle (we can consider him as the final boss I guess)
-He's the shopkeeper in both Team Kirby Clash Deluxe and Super Kirby Clash, where he has got a different outfit only for those games (he's basically the second face of those games after Kirby himself)

Another Dimension is a concept built around the character of Magolor, and became a core element in Kirby's universe/world building, so much that an entire game mode based on that became a DLC of Star Allies (along with being a stage of Kirby Fighters).

Aside of that, many cameos, PR stuff and merchandise, but I ensure you that he became a pretty major character in the franchise.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I like Fire Emblem. I liked Fire Emblem Three Houses. I liked its characters. I would probably even like one if these in Smash. But give it a break, and bring Nintendo series that are yet to be represented by a fighter first.
The only Fire Emblem characters I want is Lyn, and Fjorm. Lyn because her sword style is different from the rest FE cast (and all the other swordfighters) in Smash. Their sword style being more medieval-esque, and European-like, while Lyn's is more Japanese oriented (Iaido to be precise). And Fjorm cause she a lancer with ice power which I think is pretty cool.

But considering Lyn Is a trophy, her chance of being a character is slim. Which brings me to this question:
How would people feel if Sakura Shinguji from Sakura Wars was the 5th fighter? Even if she wasn't, what's you're opinion on her as a fighter?
For me? She'd be below Elma, but she'd also be in my top 5 most wanted list (Amaterasu, Shantae, Elma, Sora, Sakura), I think she'd be great choice with her Iaido sword style and her mechsuit.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Shadow is extremely different from sonic in almost every way. They’re only clones in gameplay, which doesn’t cause Luigi to be a Mario clone.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm going to be blunt about this.

Fire Emblem should have died. It has a boring world with uninteresting characters and the series focuses on the most boring aspects of it's setting. "Oh no, our kingdom is under attack by another kingdom" Like wow, real interesting story telling. If I wanted to play a fun Tactical RPG, I'd play Shining force because that game allows you to recruit bird people, centaurs, an armadillo, a robot, a Squid named Domingo and a Hamster named Jogurt who collects yogurts that allow you to wear hamster suits.

What new first party franchises do you guys even want? There’s not a whole lot. I wouldn’t mind Golden Sun, Chibi Robo & Rhythm Heaven but that’s all base roster material IMO.

There’s not really any Nintendo series that feeling “missing” IMO; everything left is a smaller series that’s probably dead for the foreseeable future, they might be good games but they didn’t really leave that much of an impact on Nintendo/gaming.

Just Isaac and Alexandra Roivas. I don't know what kind of moveset Alex could use but I'm at least glad she and her series is still acknowledged, even if it's with just a spirit.

I just want Isaac just for his fans to be happy and that I think despite him being a sword fighter, he could be pretty interesting. In fact can't we switch the popularity around so that Fire Emblem is a dead series and Golden Sun is popular instead?

BlackInk

Smash Lord

Fire Emblem should have died. It has a boring world with uninteresting characters and the series focuses on the most boring aspects of it's setting. "Oh no, our kingdom is under attack by another kingdom" Like wow, real interesting story telling. If I wanted to play a fun Tactical RPG, I'd play Shining force because that game allows you to recruit bird people, centaurs, an armadillo, a robot, a Squid named Domingo and a Hamster named Jogurt who collects yogurts that allow you to wear hamster suits.

Just Isaac and Alexandra Roivas. I don't know what kind of moveset Alex could use but I'm at least glad she and her series is still acknowledged, even if it's with just a spirit.

I just want Isaac just for his fans to be happy and that I think despite him being a sword fighter, he could be pretty interesting. In fact can't we switch the popularity around so that Fire Emblem is a dead series and Golden Sun is popular instead?
Golden Sun is dead because they left Isaac for dead and you know it. So, don’t pick on the fire emblem series because it’s still alive, well, and can handle itself without Marth.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Shadow is extremely different from sonic in almost every way. They’re only clones in gameplay, which doesn’t cause Luigi to be a Mario clone.
But he was a clone in Smash 64. Luigi benefited from being worked on and changed over the years. In Smash Ultimate it's a blessing to be an echo. Some characters wouldn't be in the game if they weren't echoes. Dark Samus is extremely different from Samus with so many unique powers. But she's an echo. Why? Because she wouldn't have gotten in the game otherwise. Shadow's best bet was to be an echo fighter.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
But he was a clone in Smash 64. Luigi benefited from being worked on and changed over the years. In Smash Ultimate it's a blessing to be an echo. Some characters wouldn't be in the game if they weren't echoes. Dark Samus is extremely different from Samus with so many unique powers. But she's an echo. Why? Because she wouldn't have gotten in the game otherwise. Shadow's best bet was to be an echo fighter.
Octolings are far more likely to be implemented. All they do is give them good kill power but a weak damage output, so they need ink to whack up damage but not to finish up the stock.

Shadow is way more complicated than sonic. His combat barely have anything to do with balls. It’s always about his chaos manipulation. It’s been that way since his first appearance.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Fire Emblem should have died. It has a boring world with uninteresting characters and the series focuses on the most boring aspects of it's setting. "Oh no, our kingdom is under attack by another kingdom" Like wow, real interesting story telling.
How Can You Tell Someone Never Played a Fire Emblem Game 101

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Look dude, I want Isaac in as much as the next guy, but there's no point in suggesting these hypothetical alternate universe scenarios as if it means the past will somehow be changed so that the present will fit that said universe. Fire Emblem got popular and Golden Sun is a dead franchise. It's that black and white and no amount of these hypothetical pitches will change anything. And as much as it pains me to say it, the way things are looking, I don't think Isaac is ever going to be anything more than an AT unless Nintendo decides to go back and bring back their dead franchises, which has a very slim chance of happening.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration

Couldn't have said it better myself. Shining Force stomps Fire Emblem's ass.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Dude, this is exactly how you become a copypasta lmao.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Shadow is way more complicated than sonic. His combat barely have anything to do with balls. It’s always about his chaos manipulation. It’s been that way since his first appearance.
But he does use the spin dash and homing attack. It doesn't matter what their other powers are since Dark Samus is mostly about phazon manipulation and barely about missiles and bombs. Point is, if they can be an echo, they will be. Shadow can be made into an echo fighter and it would be the only reason for him to get into Ultimate.

Competition with other candidates is tight. Being an echo is an easy way to squeeze your way into the roster. Otherwise he won't be on there.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'll take any character I like as echos, to be honest. Yeah, Dixie Kong being unique would be cool, but not waiting another decade for her would be even cooler.

So what's new in regards of newcomer discussion?
Edelgard is evil because she has gone back in time and killed my favorite franchise, so she shouldn't be in.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Oh boy oh boy! Is it really what I think it is!? It...it is! Another Fire Emblem argument!

Good sales numbers, objective quality of product polish, hours of content across each game, always high critic reception, general praise from fans, and love and care from its parent companies. People out here just upset this isn't their favorite game, TBH.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah, Dixie Kong being unique would be cool, but not waiting another decade for her would be even cooler.
Spitting straight facts that hurt the soul

Edelgard is evil because she has gone back in time and killed my favorite franchise, so she shouldn't be in.
Byleth would make more sense since time travel is a literal ability they possess but go off Edelgard stans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom