• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Dude, this is exactly how you become a copypasta lmao.
I'm going to be blunt about this.

Super Mario should have died. It has a boring world with uninteresting characters and the series focuses on the most boring aspects of it's setting. "Oh no, mushroom kingdom is under attack by Bowser's kingdom" Like wow, real interesting story telling. If I wanted to play a fun platformer, I'd play Sonic the Hedgehog because that game allows you to recruit hedgehogs, foxes, an armadillo, a robot, an echidna named Knuckles and a cat named Blaze who collects rings that allow you to light yourself on fire.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Fire Emblem should have died.
Man, that's some seething beyond levels I've ever seen. :nifty: Do you think your subjective taste rules the world or something?

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Fire Emblem should have died. It has a boring world with uninteresting characters and the series focuses on the most boring aspects of it's setting. "Oh no, our kingdom is under attack by another kingdom" Like wow, real interesting story telling. If I wanted to play a fun Tactical RPG, I'd play Shining force because that game allows you to recruit bird people, centaurs, an armadillo, a robot, a Squid named Domingo and a Hamster named Jogurt who collects yogurts that allow you to wear hamster suits.

Golden Sun deserved to die. It has a boring world with uninteresting characters and the series focuses on the most boring aspects of it's setting. "Oh no, some badguys are going to take over the world" Like wow, real interesting story telling. If I wanted to play an RPG, I'd play Fire Emblem because that series allows you to play as bird people, Pegasus knights, transforming beasts, ninjas, a dragon named Tiki and lord named Dimitri who jumps up into the air to chuck lances at people during his critical hit animation.

See? I can make silly generalized statements too!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I have no qualms whatsoever about there being a Three Houses character in Smash.

I'd just massively prefer it being Dimitri or Claude rather than Edelgard or Byleth.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I have no qualms whatsoever about there being a Three Houses character in Smash.

I'd just massively prefer it being Dimitri or Claude rather than Edelgard or Byleth.
Claude in Smash is the dream but I'm trying to be realistic about his chances (which is zero unless Sakurai finds a way to make all three house leaders playable at the same time).

Do you think your subjective taste rules the world or something?
Not sure if this is supposed to be a rhetorical question because it's Smash fanbase we are talking about.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

The Legend of Zelda should have died. It has a boring world with uninteresting characters and the series focuses on the most boring aspects of it's setting. "Oh no, Hyrule is under attack by Ganon" Like wow, real interesting story telling. If I wanted to play a fun puzzle-adventure game, I'd play Ratchet & Clank because that game allows you to play as a lombax and robot who use wacky futuristic gadgets that make enemies breakdance and cool guns that turn enemies to ducks to save the universe.

Last edited:

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Claude in Smash is the dream but I'm trying to be realistic about his chances (which is zero unless Sakurai finds a way to make all three house leaders playable at the same time).
Claumitrigard.

Seriously though, Byleth is the most obvious and likely choice, but I wouldn't mind if Sakurai went with a less obvious pick for a change.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I heard that if you play Fire Emblem, Byleth comes to your house personally and bricks your Switch. She also then DELETES your favorite character so they CAN'T be added to the GAME!

Fellow Epic Gamers! We must unite against the great plague of weebs! If another sword fighter joins, the spacetime continuum will collapse! We gotta get a more rational character in!

Like, uh...this one dude from a random SNES game I played as a kid. See, he's nostalgic to me and my taste is better than everyone else's, so that means it's an objectively better idea. Also, my character doesn't have animu cooties, so there.

Just DESTROYED these FE kids with FACTS and LOGIC. :cool:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There is actually a dimitri support thread. But is very dead right now.
There's a support thread for all 3 Lords and Byleth, IIRC.

Just add Rhea and the pentagram of sinful, evil Fire Emblem is complete. :p

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

This thread should have died. It has a boring discussion with uninteresting arguments and the thread focuses on the most boring aspects of it's topic. "Oh no, Smash has too many Fire Emblem characters" Like wow, real interesting discussion. If I wanted to comment in a fun thread, I'd post in the Captain Falcon competitive community, because there you are allowed to talk about how you smashed the face of many Pichus and Warios with your knee, and how you once collided a Falcon Punch with Kirby causing the universe to collapse.

(sorry for the off topic, I couldn't resist)

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

Donkey Kong deserved to die. It has a boring world with uninteresting characters and the series focuses on the most boring aspects of it's setting. "Oh no, our banana horde was stolen by the bad guys" Like wow, real interesting story telling. If I wanted to play a platformer, I'd play Super Mario because that series allows you to play as plumbers, princesses, mushroom people, and a green dinosaur that eats enemies and turns them into eggs.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Be the change you want to see in the world and all that jazz. Don't rally around Edelgard/Byleth because they're the "most realistic/expected choice", you should support a character because you genuinely love them and want to play as them, plot-importance/marketing be damned.
I mean unless you love Edelgard/Byleth regardless of Nintendo/IS pushing them as the face of Three Houses and them really not needing support from the fanbase should a 3H character be selected for Smash, in which case by all means support your axe-waifu/whipsword self-insert and disregard my ramblings.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Smash Bros deserves to die. It has a boring stages with uninteresting characters and the series focuses on the most boring aspects of the modes. "Oh no, Smash has too many characters" Like wow, real interesting gameplay. If I wanted to play a fighting game, I'd play Mortal Kombat because the series allows you to play as scorpions, women, ice dudes, samurais, and DC characters.

Yes. I'm terrible due to the timing

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Ah, I see the thread is up to its usual antics again. I sometimes wonder if people are actually this self-loathing or if they can't just ignore opinions they disagree with.

I hope we get a leak or announcement soon. Mii hat leak was better than this.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As far as chances are concerned, I think it's honestly a toss up between Byleth and Edelgard.

Byleth has de facto main character status regardless of route, and has a whip sword and time powers. However, they're also another sword lord, which even Sakurai has spoken to the perceived redundance of, and has little to no personality due to being Fire Emblem's only silent protagonist.

Edelgard brings an axe moveset (and Sakurai said he wished more characters used axes when discussing Piranha Plant in his column), had a major presence in Three Houses's marketing (she was the first character we got introduced to, she's getting a figma, she was the headliner alongside Byleth on the first Three Houses banner in Heroes, they had a professional cosplayer cosplay Edelgard at FE Expo, and Edge of Dawn is literally her theme), has a strong personality, and is important even in routes that aren't her own. However, she isn't the main protagonist in every route, unlike Byleth.

Dimitri would bring in a lance moveset and is INCREDIBLY popular, especially in Japan. However, his popularity likely came too late, and may not outweigh the fact that Dimitri isn't as important to all routes as Byleth and Edelgard are.

Claude...I adore Claude, and of these four he's my most preferred choice after Edelgard, but of the four he probably has the worst odds. We'd get a popular, charming character with a full bow moveset, but Claude is also arguably the least important of the four to Three Houses's over all story structure.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
When people mention Claude I can't stop thinking about Claude Speed from GTA

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Enough of Links, we need another Ganon, the original one.
Ganon is already a FS and a Boss, exactly as he should be.

We need a Ganondorf that's not a semi-Falcon clone.

As an avid Sonic fan, I can tell you that Shadow is literally a Sonic clone in the canon games.
Uh, no he's not. He was created by Eggman's grandfather long before Sonic was even born. And **** you for making me admit to knowing that.

The Legend of Zelda should have died.
Feel free to blunt yourself into busy traffic.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
However, she isn't the main protagonist in every route, unlike Byleth.
She's damn near main villain tier at this point when 75% of the routes want her head on a silver platter as a priority in the post-timeskip stories.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
As far as chances are concerned, I think it's honestly a toss up between Byleth and Edelgard.

Byleth has de facto main character status regardless of route, and has a whip sword and time powers. However, they're also another sword lord, which even Sakurai has spoken to the perceived redundance of, and has little to no personality due to being Fire Emblem's only silent protagonist.

Edelgard brings an axe moveset (and Sakurai said he wished more characters used axes when discussing Piranha Plant in his column), had a major presence in Three Houses's marketing (she was the first character we got introduced to, she's getting a figma, she was the headliner alongside Byleth on the first Three Houses banner in Heroes, they had a professional cosplayer cosplay Edelgard at FE Expo, and Edge of Dawn is literally her theme), has a strong personality, and is important even in routes that aren't her own. However, she isn't the main protagonist in every route, unlike Byleth.

Dimitri would bring in a lance moveset and is INCREDIBLY popular, especially in Japan. However, his popularity likely came too late, and may not outweigh the fact that Dimitri isn't as important to all routes as Byleth and Edelgard are.

Claude...I adore Claude, and of these four he's my most preferred choice after Edelgard, but of the four he probably has the worst odds. We'd get a popular, charming character with a full bow moveset, but Claude is also arguably the least important of the four to Three Houses's over all story structure.
There's one other thing that Edelgard brings to the table too

If you're fighting against her, you're basically fighting the first ever Female Villain character for Smash, Wendy not counted

I think it would be cool if the 3H lords had a Pokemon Trainer treatment where they can swap at any time

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Super Mario should have died. It has a boring world with uninteresting characters and the series focuses on the most boring aspects of it's setting. "Oh no, mushroom kingdom is under attack by Bowser's kingdom" Like wow, real interesting story telling. If I wanted to play a fun platformer, I'd play Sonic the Hedgehog because that game allows you to recruit hedgehogs, foxes, an armadillo, a robot, an echidna named Knuckles and a cat named Blaze who collects rings that allow you to light yourself on fire.
The problem isn't Mario's world, it's Nintendo having any elements that don't relate directly to gameplay on lockdown.

Super Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi were all able to flesh the world out and make interesting characters and stories but then for whatever reason, Nintendo started pushing the "style" guide harder.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I haven't played TH yet so I can't comment on personalities, but if I had to pick a TH rep based off of design and fun potential, I'd probably go with Byleth.

Cool design for both male and female alts and time stop powers sound fun.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

At least Smash 6 will come out in 10 years and the protag of the new FE will likely be a PoC if IntSys learned anything from Claude's popularity

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The problem isn't Mario's world, it's Nintendo having any elements that don't relate directly to gameplay on lockdown.

Super Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi were all able to flesh the world out and make interesting characters and stories but then for whatever reason, Nintendo started pushing the "style" guide harder.
not a day old and people are already falling for the copypasta bait

they grow up so fast :dr^_^:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I haven't played TH yet so I can't comment on personalities, but if I had to pick a TH rep based off of design and fun potential, I'd probably go with Byleth.

Cool design for both male and female alts and time stop powers sound fun.
Agreed, but kinda hoping that Smash gives girl Byleth a full armor.

There's no reason why Guyleth can have one but she can't.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
not a day old and people are already falling for the copypasta bait

they grow up so fast :dr^_^:
What, do you expect me to go back and read all the stuff you yanks blab about while I'm asleep?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Agreed, but kinda hoping that Smash gives girl Byleth a full armor.

There's no reason why Guyleth can have one but she can't.
sex sells

glad we can all agree that guyleth has the superior fashion, though. :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There's one other thing that Edelgard brings to the table too

If you're fighting against her, you're basically fighting the first ever Female Villain character for Smash, Wendy not counted

I think it would be cool if the 3H lords had a Pokemon Trainer treatment where they can swap at any time
I think the best way to represent them would be to have Bylteth as the main playable character but have them teamed up with one of the Lords. You pick at the start, kind of like Pokemon Trainer but you're stuck with them for the match. You have to live with your choices.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
She's damn near main villain tier at this point when 75% of the routes want her head on a silver platter as a priority in the post-timeskip stories.
I put spoiler tags on it this time, but that's a massive twist/spoiler in Fire Emblem Three Houses that you just threw out there. I'd suggest spoiler-tagging stuff like that to be safe, considering that the game has only been out for a few months.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m gonna be brutally honest

F-Zero should have died. It — no. **** it. I can’t do it. I’m not strong enough.
PLEASE COME BACK F-ZERO :cry:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The cool thing about Three Houses is that they could go with any of the four lords (or Rhea, for an outside choice) and they'd all bring something cool and unique to the table. I'm hoping we do get a rep from that game because, hey, I liked it a lot and I love the characters.

I don't really see a way they could make swappable lords canon to the game in any way but damn it I'm willing to sacrifice character accuracy for seeing my children cameo. :nifty:

Also, I'm just gonna throw this out there, I get the pain of having a never-ever most-wanted. I've wanted Marina Liteyears from an N64-exclusive 2D platformer since literally the first game. But there's no reason for me to talk **** about characters who get in over her. Same with Phoenix Wright, I'm gonna be a little sad if a Capcom rep gets in over him next but I appreciate Capcom as a whole so whoever Sakurai adds will definitely be fun to play.

D

Deleted member

Ah, I see the thread is up to its usual antics again. I sometimes wonder if people are actually this self-loathing or if they can't just ignore opinions they disagree with.

I hope we get a leak or announcement soon. Mii hat leak was better than this.
The problem is not the opinions but rather that a lot of the comments are based on pretty much faulty logic and while it's ok to not like a franchise, the people hating on it are just being petty about it as they want it to die when they can just ignore it in or out Smash.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
When people mention Claude I can't stop thinking about Claude Speed from GTA
I popped in a bit late, but when people were talking about Dimitri, I couldn't help but think for half a sec that they were talking about Demitri from Darkstalkers lol

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I put spoiler tags on it this time, but that's a massive twist/spoiler in Fire Emblem Three Houses that you just threw out there. I'd suggest spoiler-tagging stuff like that to be safe, considering that the game has only been out for a few months.
Why am I always the straw that breaks the camel's back when everyone else has done it before me? :drflip: This Will oppression must come to an end! /s

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
"Advance Wars deserved to..."

No **** you!

plz come back :(

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I think the best way to represent them would be to have Bylteth as the main playable character but have them teamed up with one of the Lords. You pick at the start, kind of like Pokemon Trainer but you're stuck with them for the match. You have to live with your choices.
In a way, that could've been something Robin and Chrom/Lucina would've done in the Wii U/3DS Smash to make them more unique I suppose

Good thing they were separated to their own characters instead. I can see Byleth/Lords happening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom