• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
?! I thought the joke was obvious enough.
https://smashboards.com/forums/forum-support.108/ You can bring your thoughts there.

------------------------

Moving on, I do like the memes about Shadow, but I also love the character because he's got a ton of personality(except in the Boom series), and I'd love to see that all the way in Smash. His own game made me love him even more.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It is certainly funny that literally only two characters in that list didn't make it in (not so much for Shadow fans, but to be fair I'd rather see him saved for later). Good thing veterans are so popular, eh?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
50/50. While it would be practical, Sakurai typically saves Echoes as last for the base roster, so I imagine it wouldn't be worth the risk as optional DLC. Standalone Luigified characters seem like the best compromise.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, the best thing to do with the ballot is maybe getting one more character for DLC and then forget it. Smash isn't a popularity contest and the fandom shouldn't be encouraged to perceive it like that. Getting popular characters is cool, but it's not worth the gate keeping drama and entitlement.
Yeah. But then again, the staff seems to treat polls as more like checklists than anything else, to see if there are any viable characters they are able to add that haven't been gotten around to yet.

https://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/

It's much more fun to expect the unexpected.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Now that people mentioned Plant vs Zombie, what about Angry Birds? It has been a huge success in mobile gaming.
Maybe it's too old now? I mean, nowadays it's not as popular as it was some years ago. There's also Candy Crush, but I don't think it's possible to rep that game/series in Smash... (Angry Birds would be hard enough already).

Not to mention that Smash 4 had a minigame/mode inspired by Angry Birds too.

I don't "want" them, I'm just pointing out that they are very popular characters that people overlooked, and they may have a chance after all.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Zack, Jeanne, Octoling, Ninten, Galacta Knight

There's probably some more that I haven't thought of yet.
Black Shadow, Dixie, Funky, Medusa, Shadow

Theres load of options that some people would complain deserve full characters, but they could definitely do an echo pack if they really wanted to just bolster the lineup

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wish they reveal or leak the ballot results just too see them and also watch the oncoming fanboy rage.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Metal Sonic would be hilarious at the extent of Shadow still not getting in lol

Maybe him, Dixie, Octolings, and you could also put in Roll and Medusa as echos that use the really unique scrapped custom moves from Smash 4. A classic Sonic character, the long awaited Dixie as a clone compromise, more Splatoon weapon representation (?) and ingenious way of resurrecting some of the more unique custom moves.

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
I don't think a pass for echoes only is likely but I do think they could just make 3-packs of echoes for $6.
"Here's Shadow, Funky Kong and Octoling go nuts"

D

Deleted member

So Version 3.1.0 is apparently going to launch sometime this week

We're probably not getting any new info on the next Fighter Pack(s) via datamines, but one can hope that there's at least something to look at in the meantime.

As for a Echo Fighter Pass, I don't really see the need for there to be 1, but I'd still buy it anyways cause it's more characters to play around with. Now, if they could make an echo fighter that isn't from the same IP as the other, that'd be pretty cool (like if Geno was a Mega Man echo despite them being completely different from 1 another).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Most likely not happening, but I guess I wouldn't mind it. Problem is why people would spend money on characters that don't bring new movesets or any extra content.
If people will buy costumes, they'll buy what are supposed to be glorified ones.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Brawl was more so a clean up of Melee. I think Sakurai viewed all those mechanics as unintentional exploits that weren’t supposed to be there and seemed mad at the idea of a competitive community growing from them. I don’t think this counts as a major gameplay change because it seems more like a fix up like many games do to glitches and exploits if the previous entry. The only reason we view it as a major gameplay change is because the competitive community used them to their advantage instead of seeing wave dashing as a glitch or exploit.

To answer you on the question of why a reboot Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth I think its less to do with completely overhauling gameplay and more to do with the ability to make changes. It’s easy for Mario Kart to add things to the core gameplay because MK is pretty much a clean slate series, nothing is guaranteed to come back and most stuff doesn’t between entries. The amount of time spent on one Mario Kart will probably be equal to next, if not a bit more due to graphics, whereas Smash always takes an absurd amount of time as they keep bringing back old characters and stages to up the numbers. We have 75 characters that the team has to work with next game, plus probably an additional 10 or so new comers. The work load only gets crazier and crazier, so there’ll be little room for really playing with the series and doing big things again.

I know the title is controversial, but Brawl has been gaining interest ever since Ultimate’s reveal, and I think many want that same level of ambition in the next Smash. Having so many new modes and a story was huge and really shook up the franchise more than any current or modern title. Brawl may be the black sheep of the franchise, but that black sheep is gaining traction to the point where people want to see another. The problem now is the character roster as there’s far too much to really do a big epic again. So much time will be dedicated to Smash and perfecting a formula that has practically been perfected, and just adding new characters that may be fun. The series seems to be honing in on “Smash” which was fine, but I feel it has been done now. Ultimate lacks so much in comparison to other entries because of the major work load of the huge roster. I guess from my perspective, I’d take a smaller roster if we got adventure mode and many of the side content. I also think a reboot could bring in some new or old concepts that weren’t explored, armor break from Brawl, Custom moves, etc.

IDK, I guess I just disagree with the rest of the thread. To me, Smash feels concluded, all the major players are in and there’s no reason to really keep moving into the hundreds just because I would be disappointed by the lack of X character or feel X character wouldn’t have a chance anymore. Ultimate feels like a one time thing, a celebration of 20 years of work, which makes it the perfect time to try and build something new out of the franchise. I love Ultimate, but I don’t think I want to stay on this path as the next entry will probably feel more like a Smash Wii U in which I’ll get bored as it didn’t have the same risks and charm as the previous entry. It’ll just feel...Vanilla?

Not to go back to this point but what? Super is considered one of the best entries, if not the best in the series even though it’s radically different from the previous two. Color Splash was also pretty well liked and was said to have brought back the charm of the series.

Sticker Star fell flat due to poor and cryptic gameplay and level design, along with a lack of personality.
most people consider Super to be the 3rd best, and Color Splash lacks almost everything good about its predecessors, and probably only has such a good receptiob since most fans ignored it. Not to mention that nobody likes these games BECAUSE they're different. I've never seen a Color Splash fan that liked the game because of its removals, they like it because the game wasn't horrible.

Also, I don't think Goku has a place in Smash or any real discussions. He ain't getting in the game.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
An echo fighter pass would be cool, and it doesn't sound like something that would be too harrowing on Sakurai either. I wouldn't go too nuts for it, though, unless we got Dixie and my poor, darling edge boy, Shadow. He's the one I'd kill to see as an echo. SA2 is my favorite modern Sonic game of all time, and I have so much love for that character (even though SEGA screwed him up down the line). Such a shame that he's an assist, but what can ya do? At least he's still relevant elsewhere, unlike my other two most wanteds.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
most people consider Super to be the 3rd best,
Not entirely true, it seems to be put above the N64 game in most cases and there are quite a bit saying it is the best game of the entire franchise. It’s a title with a growing audience as the story and absolute uniqueness is really pushing it up against the other titles.

I believe this is the weird black sheep syndrome that many Nintendo titles are or have gone through. People appreciate Super more as time goes on and are now ranking it way higher than the usual top titles. The same thing happened to Zelda numerous times as Majora’s Mask and Wind Waker as they were pretty much the “weak links” of the series that randomly had a huge popularity boost to put them above Ocarina. Smash is also going through somewhat of a popularity change with there seeming to be an increase in Brawl popularity with many putting it at number 2 in the best Smash titles right under Ultimate.

Last edited:

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Not entirely true, it seems to be put above the N64 game in most cases and there are quite a bit saying it is the best game of the entire franchise. It’s a title with a growing audience as the story and absolute uniqueness is really pushing it up against the other titles.

I believe this is the weird black sheep syndrome that many Nintendo titles are or have gone through. People appreciate Super more as time goes on and are now ranking it way higher than the usual top titles. The same thing happened to Zelda numerous times as Majora’s Mask and Wind Waker as they were pretty much the “weak links” of the series that randomly had a huge popularity boost to put them above Ocarina. Smash is also going through somewhat of a popularity change with there seeming to be an increase in Brawl popularity with many putting it at number 2 in the best Smash titles right under Ultimate.
To be honest i've seen more people nowadays put 64 ABOVE TTYD. Not many, but I slightly prefer it above TTYD because the gameplay is just so great. The story may not be as epic, but it's the first game with a story to give Bowser the role of a villain.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
An echo fighter pass would be cool, and it doesn't sound like something that would be too harrowing on Sakurai either. I wouldn't go too nuts for it, though, unless we got Dixie and my poor, darling edge boy, Shadow. He's the one I'd kill to see as an echo. SA2 is my favorite modern Sonic game of all time, and I have so much love for that character (even though SEGA screwed him up down the line). Such a shame that he's an assist, but what can ya do? At least he's still relevant elsewhere, unlike my other two most wanteds.
If were to get a second Season Pass. I think that'd be perfect. One with unique fighters and the other with echos.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I'm not a Geno supporter, but look at the trivia section of this.
https://www.mariowiki.com/geno

Would be nice, but there are many good characters that can be normal fighters that people think will be echoes because the looks similar. Examples include Dixie Kong, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Galacta Knight. Some are perfect echoes though, like Dark Meta, Eliwood, and Digby.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Would be nice, but there are many good characters that can be normal fighters that people think will be echoes because the looks similar. Examples include Dixie Kong, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Galacta Knight. Some are perfect echoes though, like Dark Meta, Eliwood, and Digby.
Every echo fighter maybe except Ken and Richter could be unique fighters. It's not a matter of potential, it's just people are okay with some characters who share their body shapes with existing fighters being model-swaps if that's gonna get them into Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Every echo fighter maybe except Ken and Richter could be unique fighters. It's not a matter of potential, it's just people are okay with some characters who share their body shapes with existing fighters being model-swaps if that's gonna get them into Smash.
And of course most people assume that if the character is different enough then it will have different properties and attacks like Chrom and Ken. I hope they're right as this is the best case scenario in terms of gameplay.

Also the idea of Shadow being Sonic, but with Witch Time amuses me.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
What are everyone's opinions on an echo fighter pass?
It'd have to be much cheaper, and said echoes should have differences more along the lines of Ken or Dr.Mario. Not totally different, but more than 1 minor change too.

Eh, would there be enough viable and requested echo choices left for a pass?
Tails/Metal Sonic.
Maybe Protoman or Bass if they pull a Chrom situation. Though I'd prefer it if another Mega Man did that but with a unique moveset.
Black Knight for Ike, but eh...
Glass Joe for Little Mac.

But IF we get a second pack, which likely won't happen. I'd rather they go all out and add as many unique fighters as they can.

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
Just bear in mind when thinking about potential echoes that the easiest way to look at them is that they're a clone character added after Brawl. Any other line of thinking will just give you headaches considering Ken is more distinct from Ryu than Dr Mario is from Mario.
Speaking of which can we get more Dr Mario changes like having the viruses in his special moves or grabs or something k thx bai

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Just bear in mind when thinking about potential echoes that the easiest way to look at them is that they're a clone character added after Brawl. Any other line of thinking will just give you headaches considering Ken is more distinct from Ryu than Dr Mario is from Mario.
Speaking of which can we get more Dr Mario changes like having the viruses in his special moves or grabs or something k thx bai
I feel like his Final Smash should have been trapping everyone in a Dr.Mario game and having pills rain down to clear the screen. Kind of a flashy cutscene super like Captain Falcon's.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
trapping everyone in a Dr.Mario game and having pills rain down to clear the screen.
Pour one out for our Danganronpa 2 girl.

So what are the odds that this E3 season nothing major leaks for Smash? I remember last year being a pretty tight deal; everyone was surprised by everyone is here.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
By that definition Isabelle would be an echo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom