• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Oh boy, are we having series **** measuring contests again? I love these, my favorite part is nothing about them.

Please stop pretending Golden Sun and Mother are remotely comparable of comparison just because they're both "niche" RPGs, people. They aren't.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Wow I'm surprised I didn't get hate even for mentioning him in Smash
There's nothing wrong with wanting a character as long as your expectations are in check. I want to see Sandbag in Smash, but it probably won't happen, as funny and amazing as it'd be. Want who you want, just as long as you keep the reality of the matter in mind. :) I don't see the problem.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
There's nothing wrong with wanting a character as long as your expectations are in check. I want to see Sandbag in Smash, but it probably won't happen, as funny and amazing as it'd be. Want who you want, just as long as you keep the reality of the matter in mind. :) I don't see the problem.
Well most people would attack you even if you mention him in Smash, I don't expect him at all but if it would happen I'd be so happy and laugh at all the haters

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well most people would attack you even if you mention him in Smash, I don't expect him at all but if it would happen I'd be so happy and laugh at all the haters
To be even more fair, there is this weird vendetta someone has against most members here even if you do explain why he's not likely to get in. So it's nice to see someone that's willing to listen to reason when talking about Goku.

Meanwhile, comic book characters aren't likely either. So, licensed characters get absolutely nothing until further notice, it seems.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
To be even more fair, there is this weird vendetta someone has against most members here even if you do explain why he's not likely to get in. So it's nice to see someone that's willing to listen to reason when talking about Goku.

Meanwhile, comic book characters aren't likely either. So, licensed characters get absolutely nothing until further notice, it seems.
I think the problem is that both parties just want the characters they want and don't care about other people's wants

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think the problem is that both parties just want the characters they want and don't care about other people's wants
And therein lies the fundamental conflict in zero-sum games.

Some people are happy, some aren't. "**** you, got mine" is the standard.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Smash speculation in a nutshell.

At least now I'm glad that Sakurai doesn't know what goes on in forums like this.

fb9.jpg

Since there won't be a ballot until possibly a decade later, I just hope all those suggestions weren't wasted.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I do believe there isn't much of a emotional reason against them, or a desire to keep Smash about video games (that's still possible with multimedia characters), but it's more of a pragmatic thing. Let's just say getting the rights to them wouldn't be easy, or at least much more difficult for the same payoff compared to most VG characters. I readily admit that when the day comes, SpongeBob will probably replace Banjo or Frisk in my top 5 (Crash, Arle are absolutely not, Paper Mario is maybe). But today is not that day, and I doubt that day is coming anytime soon.

Now back to Plants vs. Zombies, since there's a time or a place for everything but "Anime/Cartoon/Film/Literature characters in Super Smash Bros." would be a very risky topic to talk about: there WILL be arguments if we let it go on for too long.

The reason I suggested a newcomer from it is because I think it's a very popular, well known series that has lots of potential for an interesting moveset, a good stage, a boss, and the music is phenomenal, striking the perfect balance between not distracting and fantastic to listen to. I understand that EA is probably not going to be the guys that open the door to western companies, but I do think that it's at least not on the level of characters born outside of video games. (That isn't a hard bar to pass, though.)

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
I could see Dr. Zomboss as a representative. Not sure if they'd go with Crazy Dave first, but he can work with his plant buddies.

On the other hand, EA's reputation might need a bit of a boost first...
They'd probably go with a peashooter for a Plants vs Zombies rep and have his specials turn him into the other versions like the ice one

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's probably better to not laugh at the haters. It only makes things worse. Being smug doesn't help.

Regardless, a lot of times we do get lots of drama around the subject. I incidentally have usually been there to try and calm things down. At least since Smash Ultimate existed. As have other Mods. We once had a Goku topic that was eventually locked, mainly for drama issues. There's probably other reasons, but that was something only the Admins knew. That was a difficult topic to clean up.

In the end, we want a nice forum where people can participate and debate in friendly conversations without worry about being attacked for their opinions. Obviously we can't tolerate the saying of all opinions, but that still falls under being a friendly forum to be around.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
It's probably better to not laugh at the haters. It only makes things worse. Being smug doesn't help.

Regardless, a lot of times we do get lots of drama around the subject. I incidentally have usually been there to try and calm things down. At least since Smash Ultimate existed. As have other Mods. We once had a Goku topic that was eventually locked, mainly for drama issues. There's probably other reasons, but that was something only the Admins knew. That was a difficult topic to clean up.

In the end, we want a nice forum where people can participate and debate in friendly conversations without worry about being attacked for their opinions. Obviously we can't tolerate the saying of all opinions, but that still falls under being a friendly forum to be around.
Oh this was never on SmashBoards just look the comments on this https://youtu.be/qGSEZm8WRVc

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh this was never on SmashBoards just look the comments on this https://youtu.be/qGSEZm8WRVc
No, I'm saying we've striven to make this forum very safe to talk about your character wants, even unrealistic ones.

Those types of comments have unfortunately existed everywhere on the net. I wish that wasn't the case, but some people just won't respect other opinions.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
No, I'm saying we've striven to make this forum very safe to talk about your character wants, even unrealistic ones.

Those types of comments have unfortunately existed everywhere on the net. I wish that wasn't the case, but some people just won't respect other opinions.
Yeah, some people are unfortunately just very childish about their opinions. Alas, there's not much we can do but try to be as respectful and positive as possible ourselves. Making positivity outshine the negativity is a darn good idea, if you ask me. :)

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302

Oh yeah SmashBoards is usually safe and I always find such nice people

D

Deleted member

Honestly regarding the ballot, I think its a good idea to not make new ones in the future. I feel that the community just became more volatile and dependant on polls to make discussions. (Hopefully we can move post leaker era someday)

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
Honestly regarding the ballot, I think its a good idea to not make new ones in the future. I feel that the community just became more volatile and dependant on polls to make discussions. (Hopefully we can move post leaker era someday)
I don't even see the point because they never gave us the results so they could have put in whoever they wanted

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
The idea of Goku being in Smash is hilariously silly to me.

However, I'm old enough to understand that it's silly to me, but not to some others. I don't see Goku ever happening within the next lifetime, but why would I bother wasting my energy on those who have a genuine want for him? Because they want something for a character they care about? What's the point in that? Let em have fun.

Last edited:

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
The idea of Goku being in Smash is hilariously silly to me.

However, I'm old enough to understand that it's silly to me, but not to some others. I don't see Goku ever happening within the next lifetime, but why would I bother wasting my energy on those who have a genuine want for him? Because they want something for a character they care about? What's the point in that? Let em have fun.
I mean the only way I could see there being another Smash is if they added people from a whole bunch of media which is how Goku would get in

D

Deleted member

I don't even see the point because they never gave us the results so they could have put in whoever they wanted
My problem with revealing the results is that, given that people still believe that Bayo didn't performed well, if the ballot results are quite different from what the fanbase expects we're going to be on the situation where people are going to believe that they tampered the results.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My problem with revealing the results is that, given that people still believe that Bayo didn't performed well, if the ballot results are quite different from what the fanbase expects we're going to be on the situation where people are going to believe that they tampered the results.
Official Smash polls/surveys/whatever have previously been Japan-only anyway, so probably best to leave the international one as a one-time thing.

Last edited:

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
I'd still take any results over none so it felt like my votes matter

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That's honestly only the tip of the iceberg. Revealing the results would be the opening of a whole can of worms for entitlement, anger, sadness, hatred, venom, and bull****. It... simply would not end well. I'm glad that they never revealed the results, and I hope that never comes to pass.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Unfortunately, I doubt this community would stop worshiping leakers, this has been a thing since Brawl and it's unlikely to change. Obsession about polls and whatnot needs to leave though. Speculation about Ultimate was frustrating because the most popular character groups shut down the smaller ones due to fan polls, when in reality these polls are meaningless and Nintendo doesn't pay any attention to them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's honestly only the tip of the iceberg. Revealing the results would be the opening of a whole can of worms for entitlement, anger, sadness, hatred, venom, and bull****. It... simply would not end well. I'm glad that they never revealed the results, and I hope that never comes to pass.
Pandora's Box, and all.

Besides, the ballot's a suggestion box/survey, and you typically don't see results for those except with physical proof that they're happening.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I honestly have to wonder if they even legally could show the results, considering a large chunk of them would probably be characters they don't have the rights to.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Ah, true, I always forget about that.

But yeah, revealing the results is nothing but a bad idea with how large the Smash Hype culture has become.
Maybe, but it'd help put an end to the argument. It'll just lead people to theorize why such and such was not chosen at that time. Many people already think Inkling didn't make due to mechanical reasons at the time.

And the ballot likely wasn't 100% "Most votes gets in".

osby

Smash Obsessed
Existance of the ballot turned the speculation into an even bigger pissing contest than it usually is and gave us "they aren't ballot picks!" complaints about almost all characters.

And you still have people who believe Bayo and Belmonts didn't score highly because they don't fit their narrow interests. Revealing the results isn't going to change this.

Honestly, the best thing to do with the ballot is maybe getting one more character for DLC and then forget it. Smash isn't a popularity contest and the fandom shouldn't be encouraged to perceive it like that. Getting popular characters is cool, but it's not worth the gate keeping drama and entitlement.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Is it wrong to ask for Goku?
Yes. That makes you a bad person.

Edit. This is meant to be a joke, of course. The question had the word "wrong" in it, like in "Is it right or wrong? Is it good or evil?" So my answer uses the same register. I don't actually believe that supporting any character makes you good or bad.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
They revealed the results from the poll from Melee and it included characters like James Bond and Sonic.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult2.html
Funny
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult3.html
- Fire Emblem rep 53
- James Bond 35 (+ Trevelyan 2)
- Banjo & Kazooie 18
- Sukapon 15
- Lip / Chocobo 9
- Sablé Prince 8
- Doraemon 7
- Wrecking Crew 6
- Pitt / Shin Onigashima / Marvelous compagny rep / Bomberman 5
- Ice Climbers / Balloon Fighter / Crash Bandicoot 4
- Sonic / Mega Man 3
- Blast Corps rep 2

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We will not tolerate shaming of other members for their character preferences. Doing so will be treated as trolling and bullying. You have been warned. This is not negotiable.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Smash speculation in a nutshell.

At least now I'm glad that Sakurai doesn't know what goes on in forums like this.

Since there won't be a ballot until possibly a decade later, I just hope all those suggestions weren't wasted.
>When you realize almost all the characters in that list besides Goku and Shadow actually made it in.
>When you realize someone could have made a fake leak based off this and still get mostly away with it until the very last Smash Direct.

This will never stop being funny to me.

Last edited:

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
>When you realize almost all the characters in that meme list besides Goku and Shadow actually made it in.
>When you realize someone could have made a fake leak based off this and still get mostly away with it until the very last Smash Direct when Shadow was revealed as an Assist Trophy.

This will never stop being funny to me.
Shadow wasn't a meme character a lot of people wanted him myself included

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom