• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
At this point choosing a distinct weapon is what stops the worst side of Smash from rioting in the streets because Marth #8 is in the game.

Even something like the Sword of the Creator is distinct enough despite being a sword of god's bones in base form.
Smash bros fanbase be like:

551-1.gif

Lyn goes so fast she splits into 5 after-images that all strike the opponent in a split second.
"Bro, a ****-ing sword? LAAAAAME."

meanwhile,
FloweryCourteousFlyingfox-size_restricted.gif

Roy just stabs a dude.
"ROY'S OUR BOY.
ROY'S OUR BOY.
ROY'S OUR BOY."

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
With the exception of Reimu, I totally agree with your opinions regarding Steve, Dovahkiin, and Jonesy.
The "kawaii" argument does not make sense to me since we already have "kawaii" characters in Smash (Kirby, Isabelle, Pichu etc.)
Then again this is my subjective opinion. (I think of Reimu as the "Lina Inverse (Slayers)" of the Smash Bros potentials instead of Lucky Star.)
Kirby and Pichu are fine because all the characters in their series aren't all cute characters doing cute thing 24/7. Reimu to me is just cute anime girl doing cute anime things with her cute anime girlfriends and that is just too much.

If master Chief somehow got in smash, what do you guys think he would do?
Also GAME SHOW TIME! Give your most wanted character a tag line, I’ll start
Sackboy gets it together!
Sgt. Cortez
Fights to save time!

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

View attachment 243907
Lyn goes so fast she splits into 5 after-images that all strike the opponent in a split second.

meanwhile,
View attachment 243909
Roy just stabs a dude.
"ROY'S OUR BOY.
ROY'S OUR BOY.
ROY'S OUR BOY."
In Roy's defense, I personally loathe roster cuts and if a veteran is ever cut, it will immediately be my most wanted "newcomer".
Once a Smash Brother, always a Smash Brother.
And yes, I was beyond happy with the "Everyone is Here" trailer.

D

Deleted member

Everytime I bore myself looking into this thread, I feel 10 years older.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
In Roy's defense, I personally loathe roster cuts and if a veteran is ever cut, it will immediately be my most wanted "newcomer".
Once a Smash Brother, always a Smash Brother.
And yes, I was beyond happy with the "Everyone is Here" trailer.
The only thing I will never understand about Smash is how not-15-years-old Roy looks.

1572429988870.png
1572430018560.png

Even in the gacha game he looks like a baby boy.

1572429926241.png

1572430204787.png

Could be Awakening to blame, since he looks considerably aged in that iteration.

1572430153702.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The only thing I will never understand about Smash is how not-15-years-old Roy looks.

Even in the gacha game he looks like a baby boy.

Could be Awakening to blame, since he looks considerably aged in that iteration.

Got me at Blazblue, not gonna lie.

I pocket Roy in my normal games, and to me...he looks more 17 than 15.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Not commenting on Fatal Cutie's existence or anything but
i'd rather KOF14 be Terry's alt over Garou or Fatal Cutie

they can even keep his hat and associated animations

D

Deleted member

Not commenting on Fatal Cutie's existence or anything but
i'd rather KOF14 be Terry's alt over Garou or Fatal Cutie

they can even keep his hat and associated animations
I mean, it is based on his classic Fatal Fury 1 design, so...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Got me at Blazblue, not gonna lie.

I pocket Roy in my normal games, and to me...he looks more 17 than 15.
Ike was 17 in Path of Radiance, but at least he had enough combat experience and one hell of a training regiment to get super levels of stronk. Roy was basically drafted by his dad with almost no experience because ****, I guess white mages can't heal the occasional mystery illness.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Okay, gonna say something that'll make people hate me.

View attachment 243907
I agree. And you know what?
I have no problem whatsoever with more Fire Emblem characters, or swordfighters for that matter, getting into Smash.
On one condition - they have to be original, or have a good reason for being there. So, for instance, Lucina and Chrom were there, have differing hitboxes on their attacks, and Chrom has different moves - excusable, because they're Echo Fighters.
Lyn would have tons of very fast attacks. Very original attacks. Attacks that would differentiate her very clearly from the rest of the cast.
I mean, people complained when, of the 7 DLC fighters for Smash 4 included three swordfighters, and yet we got Corrin and Cloud, two original fighters, and Roy, a hugely requested return from Melee.
People saying characters like Issac, Lloyd Irving, any other Fire Emblem characters, Sephiroth, Zero, Travis Touchdown, and other characters with swords are not allowed in Smash on the basis of them having a sword... I have to say, it's a little ridiculous.
If Sakurai wants a character in Smash, and puts a character in Smash, they have a degree of either originality or fan value. Believe it or not, people were excited when Dark Pit was announced. Believe it or not, Piranha Plant is a viable character.
I have no problem with anyone wanting any character in Smash.
My problem arises when people try to find dumb arguments for them not to be.

Thanks for the post, Idon :)

D

Deleted member

Okay, gonna say something that'll make people hate me.

I agree. And you know what?
I have no problem whatsoever with more Fire Emblem characters, or swordfighters for that matter, getting into Smash.
On one condition - they have to be original, or have a good reason for being there. So, for instance, Lucina and Chrom were there, have differing hitboxes on their attacks, and Chrom has different moves - excusable, because they're Echo Fighters.
Lyn would have tons of very fast attacks. Very original attacks. Attacks that would differentiate her very clearly from the rest of the cast.
I mean, people complained when, of the 7 DLC fighters for Smash 4 included three swordfighters, and yet we got Corrin and Cloud, two original fighters, and Roy, a hugely requested return from Melee.
People saying characters like Issac, Lloyd Irving, any other Fire Emblem characters, Sephiroth, Zero, Travis Touchdown, and other characters with swords are not allowed in Smash on the basis of them having a sword... I have to say, it's a little ridiculous.
If Sakurai wants a character in Smash, and puts a character in Smash, they have a degree of either originality or fan value. Believe it or not, people were excited when Dark Pit was announced. Believe it or not, Piranha Plant is a viable character.
I have no problem with anyone wanting any character in Smash.
My problem arises when people try to find dumb arguments for them not to be.

Thanks for the post, Idon :)
The Smash community, ladies and gentlemen.

D019

Smash Cadet
Kirby and Pichu are fine because all the characters in their series aren't all cute characters doing cute thing 24/7. Reimu to me is just cute anime girl doing cute anime things with her cute anime girlfriends and that is just too much.
cute things? i think fantasy heaven damage output may bias me a bit, but killing a newly awakened youkai with cold blood twice, massacaring an entire city just because tourism and literally bullying someone to the point she almost suicide bomb a region, this series may look cute and simple but it is hiding some dark thing deep inside

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Are you agreeing with him or flaming him :061:
I agree with his stance, though when I mentioned the Smash community, I think...yeah, I just agree. Let's not turn this into a flame war pleaseee??

Calamitas

Smash Champion
never played FE6, but I have played FE7 and I remember Eliwood being pretty "eh...", so it wouldn't surprise me if mediocrity was passed down from father to son...
He has garbage stat growths, not much of a personality beyond "I'm a hero!!!!!", and doesn't even get to promote until 21 chapters into the game (which is not counting bonus maps, which you need to clear for the true ending) and only has his personal weapon for four chapters - and even then, it breaks after a grand total of twenty uses. He's bad.

Ike was 17 in Path of Radiance, but at least he had enough combat experience and one hell of a training regiment to get super levels of stronk. Roy was basically drafted by his dad with almost no experience because ****, I guess white mages can't heal the occasional mystery illness.
He's honestly not even the best choice for a lord in the game. Lilina and Guinevre would've made better choices, on account of their motivations alone. I mean, Lilina had her father killed by the big bad, and Guinevre's brother is the big bad.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I’ll say this last bit on Fatal Cutie. It is a harmful thing to women and people of the LGBTQ+ community. It’s not just an option that exclusively results in “benefits” to smash and does have a cost with those people. I don’t rightly give a **** it’s supposed to be a joke, it’s still sexist and transphobic. We wouldn’t let a user go around making sexist and transphobic jokes here, so I don’t see why it gets a pass. It does exist, but there’s no reason for it to continue at this point and certainly no reason to let it into Smash at this point.

Smash has so many options available to it, transphobia and sexism that’s super easy to keep out should really just be kept out.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
never played FE6, but I have played FE7 and I remember Eliwood being pretty "eh...", so it wouldn't surprise me if mediocrity was passed down from father to son...
From what I understand most lords pre-Awakening (including Lyn) are terrible units. I don't remember witch one, but one of the Fire Emblem YouTubers straight up recommended that you don't use them.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
From what I understand most lords pre-Awakening (including Lyn) are terrible units. I don't remember witch one, but one of the Fire Emblem YouTubers straight up recommended that you don't use them.
Those people are full of ****, then. Lyn, Hector, Eirika and Ephraim are all great units, and even Eliwood is perfectly usable. And I can't speak for Ike and Micaiah, from what I've heard, they aren't bad, either.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Speaking of Fire Emblem, I'm surprised that the other two Lords of 3H don't have support threads, especially since last I checked Dimitri was apparently the 8th-most popular Nintendo character of some poll.

That's the power of FE backlash, I guess, but still.
Believe it or not I was actually working on one for Dimitri just yesterday. I didn't get too far in it so I'll just wait for Idon to finish his.

D

Deleted member

I’ll say this last bit on Fatal Cutie. It is a harmful thing to women and people of the LGBTQ+ community. It’s not just an option that exclusively results in “benefits” to smash and does have a cost with those people. I don’t rightly give a **** it’s supposed to be a joke, it’s still sexist and transphobic. We wouldn’t let a user go around making sexist and transphobic jokes here, so I don’t see why it gets a pass. It does exist, but there’s no reason for it to continue at this point and certainly no reason to let it into Smash at this point.

Smash has so many options available to it, transphobia and sexism that’s super easy to keep out should really just be kept out.
Honestly, yeah that should be kept out.

Fatal Cutie was made just to add stuff to a game already known for fanservice. When they decide on adding to Smash of all things, they put his legacy in mind.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Those people are full of ****, then. Lyn, Hector, Eirika and Ephraim are all great units, and even Eliwood is perfectly usable. And I can't speak for Ike and Micaiah, from what I've heard, they aren't bad, either.
His reasoning for Eliwood and Lyn being bad was that their stats weren't the greatest and pretty much all of your opponents wield lances after the meet up. I haven't played The Blazing Blade so I don't know how they work if this is blatantly false. He said Hector was pretty great though. I think his point was not to use a lord just because they're the main character. I dunno.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is outright a lie.
Marth has exclusive stuff to him like being able to wield 3 powerful swords including Falchion, which lets him heal himself and in FE1, made him immune to 1 space weapons.
Alm has some of the best growths in his game which makes him better than most units in his game. He also gets bows on promotion.
Can't speak for Gaiden but Celica starts out very well in Echoes as she can hit DEF and RES tanks due to starting with swords and magic and her starting sword is a sword that can heal her.
Sigurd is ****ing busted due to getting all 3 weapon triangle types and being a mounted unit alongside great star rank weapons.
Seliph is pretty similar but he's somewhat dependant on Sigurd's earlier actions iirc
Leif ignores the whole fatigue system which really helps him out and while his growths are rather low in comparison to most Lords, he gets to benefit from a 2 space sword that I believe hits for magic.
Roy has very mediocre growths which makes it so easy to get your Roy get screwed alongside his sword being obtained very late game.
Lyn is super fast to the point she's a dodge tank, has a high crit rate so she's very rarely miss or do low damage, her Mani Katti gets fixed up after her story's done so she can abuse it even more and she even gets access to bows.
Hector's only weaknesses are low Res and being weak to Armourslayers. When promoted he gets 5 Res points, which is VERY good.
Eliwood is mediocre like Roy but when he promotes he at least gets a horse and access to lances.
Eirika is a slight Myrmidon in terms of stats so she crits fairly often and gets lances and a horse on promotion while potentially supporting Seth as soon as Chapter 1.
Ephraim is strong as **** and has access to 2 range weapons from the start as he starts with lances. Gets a sword and horse on promotion.
Ike is capable of beating PoR by himself.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
View attachment 243907
I hated how Fire Emblem Warriors gave her weird clones instead of afterimages.

This is outright a lie.
Marth has exclusive stuff to him like being able to wield 3 powerful swords including Falchion, which lets him heal himself and in FE1, made him immune to 1 space weapons.
Alm has some of the best growths in his game which makes him better than most units in his game. He also gets bows on promotion.
Can't speak for Gaiden but Celica starts out very well in Echoes as she can hit DEF and RES tanks due to starting with swords and magic and her starting sword is a sword that can heal her.
Sigurd is ****ing busted due to getting all 3 weapon triangle types and being a mounted unit alongside great star rank weapons.
Seliph is pretty similar but he's somewhat dependant on Sigurd's earlier actions iirc
Leif ignores the whole fatigue system which really helps him out and while his growths are rather low in comparison to most Lords, he gets to benefit from a 2 space sword that I believe hits for magic.
Roy has very mediocre growths which makes it so easy to get your Roy get screwed alongside his sword being obtained very late game.
Lyn is super fast to the point she's a dodge tank, has a high crit rate so she's very rarely miss or do low damage, her Mani Katti gets fixed up after her story's done so she can abuse it even more and she even gets access to bows.
Hector's only weaknesses are low Res and being weak to Armourslayers. When promoted he gets 5 Res points, which is VERY good.
Eliwood is mediocre like Roy but when he promotes he at least gets a horse and access to lances.
Eirika is a slight Myrmidon in terms of stats so she crits fairly often and gets lances and a horse on promotion while potentially supporting Seth as soon as Chapter 1.
Ephraim is strong as **** and has access to 2 range weapons from the start as he starts with lances. Gets a sword and horse on promotion.
Ike is capable of beating PoR by himself.
Well at least I know who to ignore then...That is if I remembered who said that. I don't watch the Fire Emblem YouTubers anymore anyway since I don't want Fire Emblem: Three Houses spoilers.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
His reasoning for Eliwood and Lyn being bad was that their stats weren't the greatest and pretty much all of your opponents wield lances after the meet up. I haven't played The Blazing Blade so I don't know how they work if this is blatantly false. He said Hector was pretty great though. I think his point was not to use a lord just because they're the main character. I dunno.
That sounds more like they were talking about optimized runs of the game, where you try for example to beat the game in the least amount of turns possible. For the average casual player, you'd be out of your mind to consider them bad.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That sounds more like they were talking about optimized runs of the game, where you try for example to beat the game in the least amount of turns possible. For the average casual player, you'd be out of your mind to consider them bad.
That's a very plausible.

Fire Emblem community: Awakening was so easy!
Me: *Accidentally kills all of the squishy units*

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway, black characters I’d like to see in Smash?

... Does Elma count?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Anyway, black characters I’d like to see in Smash?

... Does Elma count?
Considering that her mimeosome form is the one that always appears in promotional material and was the one used for 2, I'd honestly say yes. They really don't seem to be going the Mecha-Fiora route with regards to how they handle Elma's true form.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
cute things? i think fantasy heaven damage output may bias me a bit, but killing a newly awakened youkai with cold blood twice, massacaring an entire city just because tourism and literally bullying someone to the point she almost suicide bomb a region, this series may look cute and simple but it is hiding some dark thing deep inside
I have absolutely no idea what the touhou series is all about but still it's the exterior that bothers me. Not even what is on the inside will really sway me. Besides I prefer to play as a boy than a girl if I can... except for when it comes to Perfect Dark for some reason.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I know I'm late to this conversation, but Garou Terry would be the best Terry alt. Even ignoring the problematic elements of Fem Terry that others have already brought up, the Garou look is such a great design and I'd be kinda sad if it didn't make it in. Garou is also legitimately one of the best fighting games I've ever played, so any sort of nod to it would be appreciated

D

Deleted member

I know I'm late to this conversation, but Garou Terry would be the best Terry alt. Even ignoring the problematic elements of Fem Terry that others have already brought up, the Garou look is such a great design and I'd be kinda sad if it didn't make it in. Garou is also legitimately one of the best fighting games I've ever played, so any sort of nod to it would be appreciated
Garou is considered one of SNK's prized titles. No Fem!Terry and we're chill, no Garou and we riot.

D019

Smash Cadet
I have absolutely no idea what the touhou series is all about but still it's the exterior that bothers me. Not even what is on the inside will really sway me. Besides I prefer to play as a boy than a girl if I can... except for when it comes to Perfect Dark for some reason.
I'm sorry if my post seem offensive,
i only wanted to clarify that touhou is not just some girl kawaii anime / game thingy, it could lead to misinformation of the series as a whole for people who are researching it for smash or other thing.
i don't think too much about what character other people play, heck every game i have. i always to try every character.

again sorry if my post seem offensive, and have a good day/night.

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry if my post seem offensive,
i only wanted to clarify that touhou is not just some girl kawaii anime / game thingy, it could lead to misinformation of the series as a whole for people who are researching it for smash or other thing.
i don't think too much about what character other people play, heck every game i have. i always to try every character.

again sorry if my post seem offensive, and have a good day/night.
Yeah, people tend to associate the franchise with the Kawaii stuff.

Good night everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom