• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Anyway, in other news...

Server Maintenance for Smash just kicked in. Didn't even know it was happening. Obviously means nothing at the moment, but y'know.
Imagine if they just randomly drop him in the middle of the night while most of the player base is sleeping lol

ZelDan

Smash Master
Just because something was meant to be a joke doesn't mean it still can't be tasteless or offensive.

I don't personally find female terry offensive. Dumb and shallow as all hell, yes, and a bad example of sexualization certainly, but not something that offends me. Still, using "it's just a joke!" isn't really a great defense for it.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I have to say, this whole femTerry debacle has me burned out on talking about any women in Smash for a while. I'm not against adding a girl in (my wishlist includes Dixie, Captain Syrup and Medusa) but whatever that mess was a few pages back really makes me want to change gears for a bit.

How about a different kind of representation in Smash? Any black characters you would like to see in someday? I think the only ones currently in Smash right now are either Villager/Inkling alts, and maybe Ganondorf.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I have to say, this whole femTerry debacle has me burned out on talking about any women in Smash for a while. I'm not against adding a girl in (my wishlist includes Dixie, Captain Syrup and Medusa) but whatever that mess was a few pages back really makes me want to change gears for a bit.

How about a different kind of representation in Smash? Any black characters you would like to see in someday? I think the only ones currently in Smash right now are either Villager/Inkling alts, and maybe Ganondorf.
If I'm being honest the only character that really comes to mind with that criteria is Cj from San andreas, and we all know that ain't happening.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
If I'm being honest the only character that really comes to mind with that criteria is Cj from San andreas, and we all know that ain't happening.
And this is where Sakurai surprises us once again by adding CJ to the list :chuckle:

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
If, for some strange reason, we were to get a Guild Wars character in, I could get behind Livia getting the spot.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Speaking of Fire Emblem, I'm surprised that the other two Lords of 3H don't have support threads, especially since last I checked Dimitri was apparently the 8th-most popular Nintendo character of some poll.

That's the power of FE backlash, I guess, but still.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I really like how you bring up the gameplay because that really is the straw that breaks the camel's back for me as well. It has a whole host of problems and the biggest one is missed potential. It sucks because it has a pretty excellent roster especially with the DLC, and Fatal Cutie Terry didn't need to be added at all when Alice isn't even in the game despite being part of 14's Women Fighters Team. It's weird that she's not in yet Love Heart is despite them seemingly losing the rights to put her in a future game. I don't even think King made it in either.

Like Heroines has a ton of potential. The KOF roster has phenomenal female characters and the DLC even added Janne from World Heroes and more. Incredible stuff! But the gameplay is just so blah. I don't think fanservice is the worst thing in the world or anything, but when the fanservice is paired with an uninspired and lazy fighting game, a boatload of missed potential, and a goofy marketing gimmick they're pinning the whole thing on because they don't think it'll sell otherwise, that's when we have a problem.

It's wild how gorgeous all the ending art is, and I admit it's sort of funny how Terry's ending is weirdly serious and reveals that he has PTSD over the death of Geese Howard and that he's scared Rock will resent him as a result. It's pretty big whiplash going from Kula's "I want to eat ice cream but K' and Maxima are getting to it first" to that.

But yeah, when a truly iconic and fan favorite look in Terry's Garou jacket exists it's a disservice to the character to have the SNK Heroines alt in instead especially when the Heroines alt itself has its own problems societally and conceptually. I would wager a large portion of the people requesting it aren't even Terry fans. If that makes me some kind of no fun allowed police, so be it.
The roster was good, but there were a few glaring omissions. And there's nothing wrong with fan service, but if that's all you rely on? Yeesh.

My thing is, if they were going to try something new, at least put effort into making it fun. Like... imagine if they made Heroines a platform fighter (something fun and accessible). I wouldn't even care if it was a low budget Smash clone; that would've been the coolest thing ever (and TBH, Smash borrowed a lot from SNK, sooo). And the dress-up gimmick would've made it unique (although I wish the costumes weren't so fetish-fueled). Oh well. I hope you're reading this, Capcom.

What's even crazier is how the icecream thing is so totally Kula, haha.

I also believe a good chunk of people asking for Busty Wolf aren't fans. It's just... so bad lol. It's not a Robin/Wii Fit/etc. kind of situation. Or a Marth/Lucina one. It's not an alternate costume of any significance. It's not a celebration of SNK. It's not Terry. If it happened, which I doubt, I can already hear the "Now that there's a girl, y'all can stop asking" crowd. And I'll just sit in a corner like:

Last edited:

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Why not both? Marina is very popular and could be a cool Inkling echo/semi-clone, and Twintelle could be a fun and unique fighter who would probably be a lot more interesting than Spring Man.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I really can't think of any that make sense to include aside from CJ/Franklin from GTA, who is most likely not happening.

Wait, scratch that, I would like Tethu to get in Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Speaking of Fire Emblem, I'm surprised that the other two Lords of 3H don't have support threads, especially since last I checked Dimitri was apparently the 8th-most popular Nintendo character of some poll.

I think it's also due to a lack of conviction, not only would people go in screaming FIRE EMBLEM BAD, but there's a strong lack of confidence as Edelgard's worldwide popularity surpasses Dimitri and everyone who cared about 3H before it came out know Nintendo would want to push the face of the game instead of one of the other two

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I mean, not black per se, but Shantae is pretty great POC, just sayin'...

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I'm actually working on one for Dimitri right now, but I kinda feel like that by the time I finish, someone's going to beat me to the punch and waste all my work, lol.

Perhaps I'll finish it over Christmas, :shrug:.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I dunno if she counts, but I feel like Elma is at least ambiguously a POC.

There really are so few black characters in gaming overall though. Nintendo might even be worse than average in that regard. A lot of their characters aren't even human so it's kind of easy to ignore, but if you look at only the human characters there are like no black people. And very few POC at all at that. Would be great to see that change over the years.

Other than Elma, there's Ganondorf, Minmin, Twintelle, apparently a character from Splatoon that got mentioned earlier. And I imagine there must be someone in FE, but I've never played so I have no idea.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I dunno if she counts, but I feel like Elma is at least ambiguously a POC.

There really are so few black characters in gaming overall though. Nintendo might even be worse than average in that regard. A lot of their characters aren't even human so it's kind of easy to ignore, but if you look at only the human characters there are like no black people. And very few POC at all at that. Would be great to see that change over the years.

Other than Elma, there's Ganondorf, Minmin, Twintelle, apparently a character from Splatoon that got mentioned earlier. And I imagine there must be someone in FE, but I've never played so I have no idea.
Well there's Claude, who's certainly a shade darker than the other 2 Lords.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Circa Smash 64 and Melee Pokemon was as well known for being an anime as it was for the games. I know many people who thought the Pokemon were anime characters. I think the anime even came out first in the west.

Besides, even if Digimon's origin as a video game was uncontested, that wouldn't make it close to being free from hindrances.
Honestly, its not comparable to the amount of people that associate Digimon with the Anime, the Virtual Pets and Video Games never flew off the shelves..or, if they did, they weren't particularly talked about (despite Digimon World and Digimon World 4 being amazing).
By contrast, it was well known that Pokémon was also a Video Game and many people understood that as soon as they saw that it was owned by Nintendo, along with Game Freak & Creatures. Beyond that, Pokémon eventually became primarily known for the Video Games by the time 3rd Party characters were allowed in Smash and this 'No Non-Game Characters' rule was made..I mean, they entertained James Bond before that even..

KatKit

Smash Lord
Three avatar characters with selectable gender and/or skin tones are a Style Savvy rep, Daemon X Machina rep, and the Astral Chain twins. All solid choices (from great games) for a hypothetical season 2 pass. Aside from that other popular non-white characters are Elma, Shantae, Marina, and Twintelle. Although she's probably not as likely, Urbosa is a very popular BoTW character. If we got Travis Touchdown, Shinobu Jacobs could be like Richter, i.e. she's an echo that gives Travis certain abilities he doesn't have and vice versa. Unlike Travis, Shinobu actually jumps, attacks in midair, and has long range beam attacks, for example. Jago and Orchid are two of the main characters from Killer Instinct. And if we got 2B, 2P would definitely be an alt. There's also Fortnite reps, particularly if they got the Bowser Jr. treatment.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Bruh I can't believe this. I expected much better from you. EVERYONE knows Joe didn't grab Terry's Smash invitation
no he's gonna be his own character
Someone please take the bait and help me break up the monotony of this thread

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If we're specifically talking black characters, how about this guy?

At least he'd have the best taunt/win quote: "Gutter trash."

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
King Boo should be in Smash so we don’t have to spend money on shiny red thingies in Mario Kart Tour or wait ‘til the next Halloween and try again.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Since SNK is all I know, K' would be cool if not Kyo.

Kusanagi exists too but uuuhhh I get the feeling he'd be a controversial pic, and not just for being there if Kyo's not there with him in-game lol

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ahh, I remember when Lyn and Hector were the most discussed Fire Emblem reps. Oh to be young.
The plot twist is that Eliwood is the choice as an Ike Echo

1572423697919.png

You gotta save on those precious resources, y'know? :secretkpop:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ahh, I remember when Lyn and Hector were the most discussed Fire Emblem reps. Oh to be young.
20191030_012427.jpg

Remember when we talked about Fire Emblem characters based on their merits and not what type of weapon they used?
20191030_012444.jpg

Yeah, me neither.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Remember when we talked about Fire Emblem characters based on their merits and not what type of weapon they used?
At this point choosing a distinct weapon is what stops the worst side of Smash from rioting in the streets because Marth #8 is in the game.

Even something like the Sword of the Creator is distinct enough despite being a sword of god's bones in base form.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
My idea for Lyn's overall moveset concept would be that she's the yang to Marth's yin. No, she's not an Echo Fighter, lemme explain.

Marth uses a sword with power concentrated at the tip (to reference the rapiers many Lords start out with). Marth is about spacing.

Lyn, however, uses a katana. Katanas are wielded by unsheathing, striking very fast, then sheathing. Due to the inherent startup and endlag, Lyn would be about timing instead of spacing.

She'd be kind of like a mix of Marth and Meta Knight, where, like Marth, most of her attacks are simple, one-hit attacks, and like Meta Knight, her attacks are very quick and only last a measly 1 or 2 active frames. Those 1-2 active frames would hurt, though. Katana users have to hit as hard as they have to hit fast, after all. Speaking of fast, Lyn is very fast in her game, so in Smash I think she'd have mobility comparable to Sheik or Greninja, meaning she'd be the fastest overall Fire Emblem character.

Man, this is why I don't like talking about Lyn. I get excited at how she would play in Smash, then I make myself sad knowing that, at this rate, she's probably never getting in since her game is pretty old by now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom