• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I never even thought about the transgender stuff. I probably don't have the necessary information to accurately make this call, but I feel like female Terry doesn't really count as a transgender person since he still wants to be his birth gender. He was just temporarily turned into a girl. And yeah the situation is really scummy but for better or worse I'm not bothered by it on the grounds that Japan will be Japan.

Personally, if they did add female Terry, I think it should be in this scenario:
  • Four normal alts
  • Three bland jacket alts
  • One female Terry alt hidden behind the other seven alts.
EDIT: This way people get their jacket, and there is also some silly genderbent shenanigans (or at least I find it amusing).
I mean, basically any of that "silly genderbent" stuff is somewhat transphobic by design in how it reduces the overall experience of transition (which can be incredibly painful on a mental level as well as difficult physically and emotionally) to nothing more than a punchline and devalues the overall actions involved and the weight of dealing with discovering your gender. It becomes increasingly worse with the context of SNK Heroines though. Specifically, it removes the idea of consent from such a choice, which is really messed up no matter how you try to justify it. Terry was forced to undergo an arguably traumatic and life-altering experience without his consent and that just gets played off as well. Then you look at how these actions are done solely to have another female the game can objectify the hell out of (Terry has long jeans and a coat with the sleeves cut out, he's extremely clothed as a man and then has almost nothing on when turned into a female), in a game that specifically goes out of its way to sexualize female characters and play all of that off for laughs.

Sure, Japan is going to Japan and be insensitive about this sort of thing, but I'll call it as it is, and it is most definitely disgusting.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
No, that doesn't address anything about her existence. Fatal Cutie was created specifically to be a hyper-sexualized version of Terry as a joke for a mediocre game that also focused heavy on hyper-sexualizing its characters. She's an offensive joke to many and she has no good reason to exist.
I mean, technically, she was created to be Terry's Midnight Bliss. But she was included in Heroines as a joke for a mediocre game that also focused heavy on hyper-sexualizing its characters.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Lmao so I'm completely new to SNK.
THIS ************ HAS A MOVE THAT BRIEFLY TURNS PEOPLE INTO WOMEN? Meta.
The game shown is SNK vs. Capcom Chaos, and the character who can turn fighters into women is Dmitri, a Capcom character.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean, basically any of that "silly genderbent" stuff is somewhat transphobic by design in how it reduces the overall experience of transition (which can be incredibly painful on a mental level as well as difficult physically and emotionally) to nothing more than a punchline and devalues the overall actions involved and the weight of dealing with discovering your gender. It becomes increasingly worse with the context of SNK Heroines though. Specifically, it removes the idea of consent from such a choice, which is really messed up no matter how you try to justify it. Terry was forced to undergo an arguably traumatic and life-altering experience without his consent and that just gets played off as well. Then you look at how these actions are done solely to have another female the game can objectify the hell out of (Terry has long jeans and a coat with the sleeves cut out, he's extremely clothed as a man and then has almost nothing on when turned into a female), in a game that specifically goes out of its way to sexualize female characters and play all of that off for laughs.

Sure, Japan is going to Japan and be insensitive about this sort of thing, but I'll call it as it is, and it is most definitely disgusting.
I'm going to refrain from talking about this further to avoid saying something highly insensitive due to my lack of knowledge on the subject of transgenders, and my desensitization to the weird fandom shenanigans.

Lmao so I'm completely new to SNK.
THIS ************ HAS A MOVE THAT BRIEFLY TURNS PEOPLE INTO WOMEN? Meta.
That's Demitri. He's a Capcom character and this attack also causes the females to be more sexualized than normal. In short, he's a creep.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Well, technically that move comes from Capcom.
I'm going to refrain from talking about this further to avoid saying something highly insensitive due to my lack of knowledge on the subject of transgenders, and my desensitization to the weird fandom shenanigans.

That's Demitri. He's a Capcom character and this attack also causes the females to be more sexualized than normal. In short, he's a creep.
The game shown is SNK vs. Capcom Chaos, and the character who can turn fighters into women is Dmitri, a Capcom character.
Quick guys, expose me for my lack of fighting game knowledge!

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
There is so much wrong with Busty Wolf, I don't even know where to begin.

Let's see:

SNK has a legit character that's a Terry fan that can dress like him and fight like him, but she's not in the game. She could easily fill in for Terry, but honestly I'm glad she wasn't in that dumpster fire.

If you're going to make an all-female fighter, make it fun. Arcana Hearts, Skullgirls, Asuka 120%, etc. Holy Palutena, even the equally exploitative game that is Senran Kagura: Estival Versus had more love put into the gameplay. I expected better from SNK. Heroines was wack. A true chibi-style Gals Fighters sequel had more potential, but nothing beats an accessible Queen of Fighters with customizable palette swaps. Heck, just go full-on platform party fighter with it. That'd be dope, too.

"We don't believe that our all-girls fighting game will sell, so let's genderbend our popular male character and reduce him to nothing more than a sex object," is pretty much the reason for Busty Wolf's existence. Personally, I'm not cool with that. It isn't Terry. Even worse when you realize that the only other time the character existed was on the receiving end of Midnight Bliss.

We're 5 characters deep this DLC cycle, and people want Busty Wolf as the first completely playable woman (yes, I worded it this way because I'm not counting Kazooie) post DLC as an alt? When Garou Terry exists? Forget that. Conceptually, she's the end result of a fatality and a wet dream/nightmare: a victim. Sure, variety is nice, but not at the price of blatant sexism, shameless promotion, AND a character's integrity. Like I said, we all deserve better than this.

And this is coming from someone who pretty much exclusively selects women, when the option is available.

Tl;dr: That ain't it, chief.

Carry on.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Demitri's Midnight Bliss attack would be pretty interesting in Super Smash Bros. since they'd have to get pretty creative in order to not raise the age rating. For example, instead of getting skimpy, Peach just wears a Shadow Queen outfit. It'd be funny if some of the Pokémon don't change at all because their species doesn't have any sexual dimorphisms. They'd have to bend over backwards to explain the attack though.

"Demitri gives the opponent a fun new look and then steals all of their ketchup."

EDIT: It could also turn Kirby into a cube like that Box Boy April Fools Joke. lol

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
If master Chief somehow got in smash, what do you guys think he would do?
Also GAME SHOW TIME! Give your most wanted character a tag line, I’ll start
Sackboy gets it together!
Elenor Camuel has joined the party!

and for some others...
Lisa takes aim!
Captain N is here!
Haruka Amami takes center stage!
Kirari Moroboshi stands tall!
Alexandra Roivas enters the madness!
Quinty flips her ****!
Carmen Sandiego is on the move!
Giana joins the battle... What a twist!
Sakura Shinguji fights for justice!
Reimu Hakurei does not like to use her words...
Hildibrand enquires!
Segata Sanshiro plays seriously! (or 'questions you deep down in your heart!')
You must play SEGA Saturn!
Skull Kid brings down the house!
Pyramid Head stands in judgement!

"Have you fools had quite enough?" Shantotto plays rough!

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Demitri's Midnight Bliss attack would be pretty interesting in Super Smash Bros. since they'd have to get pretty creative in order to not raise the age rating.
Nah, it's easy. Add Super Crown. Give everyone a princess form. Reuse princess forms for Midnight Bliss.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
This is a good indicator of what to expect with his default costume. I'm really hoping we get Garou Terry, but I'm okay if we don't.

I'm simple. All I want is the Pink jacket/blue pants palette swap. I'll occasionally switch it up with his player 2 blue jacket (which is the one palette swap that's a safe bet). And I'll reserve the red jacket for that special lore matchup against Ukee Diddy Kong.
I mean, I'm prepared for this scenario. I wouldn't die if Sakurai doesn't add the Garou costume, but I think it would be really nice. Maybe it's me, but even if most of palette swaps in Smash are references to other characters and all that, I usually don't find different colours very appealing. 90% of the times I play with the default colour, other variations seems 'wrong' to me in a certain way.
The only character which I usually play without the default colour is Marth.

Of course that's me, but for that reason I prefer different costumes and I'd like more characters with completely different alts.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If master Chief somehow got in smash, what do you guys think he would do?
Also GAME SHOW TIME! Give your most wanted character a tag line, I’ll start
Sackboy gets it together!
Octoling paints the town pink!
Elma shifts into overdrive!
KOS-MOS locks on!
Neku makes some noise!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You've got to understand that Female Cutie is the absolute epitome of what people hate about oversexualizing characters in video games. They literally turned Terry into a woman just to be objectified as **** (watch the video where they reveal Terry, it's blatant and obvious). Fatal Cutie exists to pander to a very specific demographic, and is gross quite frankly as a creation. Especially when you consider how ****ing horribly it paints people the idea of transgenderism and is literally forced on to Terry without his consent and then becomes an object of sexualization.

It's ****ing disgusting, and I do think this "option" hurts some people. Fatal Cutie is specifically hated by a number of people for these reasons. It's "supposed" to be a "funny joke," but it basically takes a stab at everyone along the way and is horrifying the more you look at it. This isn't how you get female characters into the game. When people talk of representation in games, they want actual good representation that represents them and their lived experiences (whatever they may be) with respect. Fatal Cutie is the polar ****ing opposite of that and what does that say when the only other female rep in the Fighter's Pass besides Kazooie is an entirely male character that got turned into a female for a joke.
You're taking this WAY too seriously. You can see from the game she originates that not a single part of it is supposed to be taken seriously and the joke that Terry has magically turned into a woman is one of it's defining features of that.

You're also looking at this character from a Western mind set. Where everyone is telling you that drawing or representing a character in a certain way is objectively wrong. It may be to those people but in Japan... this stuff is chill. Like, not a joke in Japan nearly everyone welcomes this stuff because they see it differently than the west.

Anyways, there's almost no possibility it's actually happening but saying this "pisses everyone off" and "it's ****ing disgusting" is objectively wrong. There's a lot of fans of female Terry and while I'm not over the moon for her if her being in means that people will accept that creators will do whatever the hell they want to do with their creations then I'm all for it. You're not doing anyone any good by getting upset that this exists. It exists. It's something that's possible. It could happen and if it does? Good! More options. This option hurts no one, except for people who are close minded enough to not realize that someone else somewhere might enjoy this inclusion.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Female Terry is ****ing awful and should stay away from this game. That version of Terry manages to piss off basically everyone. Also, please don't advocate for that as a "way to get another female character" in. I'm sorry, but there's a way to go about meaningful representation, and Female Terry sure as hell ain't it chief. There are wonderful non-sexualized and non-offensive options to choose from for female fighters, keep Fatal Cutie far away.
"Pisses off basically everyone."

Cap, cap, cap.

While I don't think you're wrong in that it pisses SOME people off, as someone who's been on Twitter, Reddit and even here on Smashboards and seen discussions regarding Terry in Smash, that amount of people that want Female Terry and are cool with her existence in, Vs people who people who don't want her in and hate her existence is easily I repeat, EASILY 9-1.

That being said, Garou and KOF XIV Terry >>>>>>>>>>>>> Fatal Cutie Terry

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Demitri's Midnight Bliss attack would be pretty interesting in Super Smash Bros. since they'd have to get pretty creative in order to not raise the age rating. For example, instead of getting skimpy, Peach just wears a Shadow Queen outfit. It'd be funny if some of the Pokémon don't change at all because their species doesn't have any sexual dimorphisms. They'd have to bend over backwards to explain the attack though.

"Demitri gives the opponent a fun new look and then steals all of their ketchup."

EDIT: It could also turn Kirby into a cube like that Box Boy April Fools Joke. lol
Dude... I kind of unironically want this now.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
There is so much wrong with Busty Wolf, I don't even know where to begin.

Let's see:

SNK has a legit character that's a Terry fan that can dress like him and fight like him, but she's not in the game. She could easily fill in for Terry, but honestly I'm glad she wasn't in that dumpster fire.

If you're going to make an all-female fighter, make it fun. Arcana Hearts, Skullgirls, Asuka 120%, etc. Holy Palutena, even the equally exploitative game that is Senran Kagura: Estival Versus had more love put into the gameplay. I expected better from SNK. Heroines was wack. A true chibi-style Gals Fighters sequel had more potential, but nothing beats an accessible Queen of Fighters with customizable palette swaps.

"We don't believe that our all-girls fighting game will sell, so let's genderbend our popular male one and reduce him to nothing more than a sex object," is pretty much the reason for Busty Wolf's existence. Personally, I'm not cool with that. It isn't Terry. Even worse when you realize that the only other time the character existed was on the receiving end of Midnight Bliss.

We're 5 characters deep this DLC cycle, and people want Busty Wolf as the first completely playable woman (yes, I worded it this way because I'm not counting Kazooie) post DLC as an alt? When Garou Terry exists? Forget that. Conceptually, she's the end result of a fatality and a wet dream/nightmare. Sure, variety is nice, but not at the price of blatant sexism, shameless promotion, AND a character's integrity. Like I said, we all deserve better than this.

And this is coming from someone who pretty much exclusively mains women.

Tl;dr: That ain't it, chief.

Carry on.
I really like how you bring up the gameplay because that really is the straw that breaks the camel's back for me as well. It has a whole host of problems and the biggest one is missed potential. It sucks because it has a pretty excellent roster especially with the DLC, and Fatal Cutie Terry didn't need to be added at all when Alice isn't even in the game despite being part of 14's Women Fighters Team. It's weird that she's not in yet Love Heart is despite them seemingly losing the rights to put her in a future game. I don't even think King made it in either.

Like Heroines has a ton of potential. The KOF roster has phenomenal female characters and the DLC even added Janne from World Heroes and more. Incredible stuff! But the gameplay is just so blah. I don't think fanservice is the worst thing in the world or anything, but when the fanservice is paired with an uninspired and lazy fighting game, a boatload of missed potential, and a goofy marketing gimmick they're pinning the whole thing on because they don't think it'll sell otherwise, that's when we have a problem.

It's wild how gorgeous all the ending art is, and I admit it's sort of funny how Terry's ending is weirdly serious and reveals that he has PTSD over the death of Geese Howard and that he's scared Rock will resent him as a result. It's pretty big whiplash going from Kula's "I want to eat ice cream but K' and Maxima are getting to it first" to that.

But yeah, when a truly iconic and fan favorite look in Terry's Garou jacket exists it's a disservice to the character to have the SNK Heroines alt in instead especially when the Heroines alt itself has its own problems societally and conceptually. I would wager a large portion of the people requesting it aren't even Terry fans. If that makes me some kind of no fun allowed police, so be it.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't even know why this topic is happening since female Terry won't happen.

As for it being offensive. Sure. But everyone has different experiences and something that may seem like a harmless gag to someone may be extremely troubling to someone else. Like a Looney Tunes cartoon where the gag is Fudd accidentally shoots himself in the face. Hilarious to us. But to someone who nearly died by almost shooting themselves? They might not consider gunplay a laughing matter. But I don't think that the creators of the cartoon would think that someone being shot IRL would be funny either. In the context of the cartoon, gunplay is a laughing matter. Not everyone will laugh, but it's not meant to be any deeper than it is.

So you have to look back and think about this Terry magical genderswap gag in the same context as Fudd shooting himself in the face.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I feel like some of you guys are taking Female Terry too seriously.

It’s a dumb joke, which is basically what SNK Heroines is. The game was never meant to be taken seriously and was made as a button masher, and the game openly knows this. If Female Terry was the way she was in a mainline KOF game, then maybe there’s a problem, but that won’t happen anytime soon.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'll take basically any other alt of Terry before Fatal Cutie but I won't at all be offended or disappointed if we somehow, someway do get Fatal Cutie.

Which is unlikely to say the very least.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
I didn't realize female Trucker Ken was this hot of a topic. If anything, make her a spirit. Having her as an alt would be just extra programming and have some hitboxes make no sense.

In the end, RandomAce above me said it right. It's just a joke.

D

Deleted member

Regarding my stance on Fem!Terry yeah, SNK Heroines is designed with fanservice in mind. Most probably wouldn't make it to Smash.

D

Deleted member

Gotta get it out of my system, but I feel kind of bored right now, and most of you are.

Looks like there won't be a big leak this week. If this persists, we might actually get another surprise reveal.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Gotta get it out of my system, but I feel kind of bored right now, and most of you are.

Looks like there won't be a big leak this week. If this persists, we might actually get another surprise reveal.
Actually, I talked to my friend who frequents 4chan and he said he saw a post by some guy who has a pretty solid leak.

And this leak is BIG.

1539210904_maxresdefault.jpg
gottem

Last edited:

cj.

Smash Journeyman
I hope they make a reference to The Band Of Fighters in some way
SNKH_Shermie_Ending7.jpg Band-of-fighters.jpg

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Back to a more serious-ish note, if female Trucker Ken was to make it in the game, it would probably be in the background of the new stage as we saw with the other KoF characters cheering Terry on.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I feel like some of you guys are taking Female Terry too seriously.

It’s a dumb joke, which is basically what SNK Heroines is. The game was never meant to be taken seriously and was made as a button masher, and the game openly knows this. If Female Terry was the way she was in a mainline KOF game, then maybe there’s a problem, but that won’t happen anytime soon.
This is the same board that stresses over having female representation in the DLC. I'm not surprised in the slightest by this overly offended response to female Terry

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Anyway, in other news...

Server Maintenance for Smash just kicked in. Didn't even know it was happening. Obviously means nothing at the moment, but y'know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom