• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

If I'm being honest after Harada's rant earlier this month I got the vibe that maybe character 5 is from tekken.

Maybe it's just how tekken has already crossed over with Final fantasy, Street fighter and Fatal fury before (And Fire emblem, Xenoblade and Megaman) that's giving me this vibe that it's happening.
I got the feeling that if not in this pass, Heihachi will eventually get in. I don't really expect his Mii costume with Terry.
So I guess we’re all sort of expecting a Bandai Namco Rep overall next then? Cause Heihachi, Lloyd, KOS-MOS, the SC character of your choice etc all have one thing in common: Namco.
Namco is the only company lacking Mii costumes returning, they could very well be the last newcomer in the fighter pass. I'm betting...
Another RPG character, this is going to be fun

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Someone go hit up Vergeben i need some leaks or SOMETHING
Give it a week or two - there's traditionally been a Nintendo Direct in the first or second week of November (either a general Direct about games coming out early on in the next year, or a Direct for a specific game) for the past seven years. It's extremely likely that we're going to get something before Black Friday, seeing as that helps to drive up the demand for Nintendo's systems.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
FFXIV's rendition of weight of the world sounding exactly like what i'd want from a smash remix of nier automata tbh

D

Deleted member

They have partial or complete control over companies in Japan and the US, including the likes of Activision-Blizzard, Riot Games and SNK among others. Plus Nintendo-wise they are a partner in China.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
They're gathering a small monopoly by purchasing majority shares in noteworthy Japanese and American companies, most notably, SNK and Epic Games.

They're also massive proponents of China's social credit system, which is an Orwellian nightmare that socially ostracizes those who criticize the Chinese government by assigning scores to citizens and denying services to those who have low numbers, up to and including the right to leave the country. Additionally, socializing with those with low scores lowers the your score, so people have been legitimately cut off from their families in the interest of keeping their scores high.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Tencent is ACTUALLY ****ing scary. They have a chokehold on the industry and no one really knows it. Not just in China either. Their influence has effected Japanese and American companies drastically.
Isn't Tencent that company that made those black bootleg NES cartridges back in the early 90's?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
You know the entire fiasco with Blizzard banning Blitzchung for supporting the Hong Kong protests? If I remember this all correctly, Tencent owns a sizable part of Blizzard, meaning that their influence is partially responsible.

SKX31

Smash Master
Imagine turning Sans and Papyrus into humans or zombies and still have them using bones, having Bonetrousle and making bone jokes.

Zombie Bowser could be cool, though.
That'd be weird, since AFAIK Steam's not affected by Chinese censorship rules*, so Undertale's fully uncensored there.

Tencent is ACTUALLY ****ing scary. They have a chokehold on the industry and no one really knows it. Not just in China either. Their influence has effected Japanese and American companies drastically.
Not gonna argue with ya there (outside of their chokehold being anywhere near total. I still agree that their influence is too keenly felt). They're not invurnerable though, and if it's any consolation I do believe Nintendo will be able to resist a too obvious push from them.

One of the saving graces is that Tencent usually leaves its American / Japanese subsidies alone for the most part.

It's one of the absolutely largest companies out there, and not one afraid to push its weight around. They're not only deeply connected with the Chinese government (one major reason Nintendo chose to approach them I'd imagine), but they have a vast portfolio:

* WeChat, the Chinese Skype and its Pay service. That's being integrated into the Chinese Switch.
* Maker and publisher of lots of Chinese games, Crossfire and Honor of Kings being the biggest.
* Direct ownership of Riot (League of Legends).
* Significant shares of Reddit (5 %), Epic Games - the guys behind Fortnite (40 %) - and so on. Those under 50 are not controlled by Tencent, but still it's a sizeable portion and influence in those companies.

Tencent's one of the main pushers of microtransactions out there and very much aggressive when it decides to move.

They're gathering a small monopoly by purchasing majority shares in noteworthy Japanese and American companies, most notably, SNK and Epic Games.

They're also massive proponents of China's social credit system, which is an Orwellian nightmare that socially ostracizes those who criticize the Chinese government by assigning scores to citizens and denying services to those who have low numbers, up to and including the right to leave the country. Additionally, socializing with those with low scores lowers the your score, so people have been legitimately cut off from their families in the interest of keeping their scores high.
They have partial or complete control over companies in Japan and the US, including the likes of Activision-Blizzard, Riot Games and SNK among others. Plus Nintendo-wise they are a partner in China.

Nope, they don't directly own SNK. That would be these guys:

They do help them with their mobile games though, so that's potentially indirect pressure.

*(Dota 2's a special case since Valve has another Chinese company (Perfect World) publish the game via its own client.)

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
All this talk about SNK mii costumes made me think of something:

What if we get 8-12 songs exclusively from the Fatal Fury games, but we get mii costumes from other SNK series and each specific costume has their own song ala Sans?

If so, what costumes/songs would you want? Only rule is they can't be Fatal Fury costumes and the songs have to relate to the specific mii costume at hand.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
That's what happens when you're the largest gaming company in the world.

D

Deleted member

You know the entire fiasco with Blizzard banning Blitzchung for supporting the Hong Kong protests? If I remember this all correctly, Tencent owns a sizable part of Blizzard, meaning that their influence is partially responsible.
reminder that Tencent Sports stopped broadcasting NBA after the general manager for Houston Rockets tweeted out in support of the protesters, so they have a history of doing stuff like this

That's what happens when you're the largest gaming company in the world.
Tencent's reach goes far beyond just video games

M@R!3

Smash Ace
reminder that Tencent Sports stopped broadcasting NBA after the general manager for Houston Rockets tweeted out in support of the protesters, so they have a history of doing stuff like this

Tencent's reach goes far beyond just video games
I'm very much aware.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
The government's also perfectly fine with approving more violent games like MOBAs, Crossfire (think CoD) and Overwatch. As for any issues, there might be some slight censoring of skeletal characters (Sans, Dry Bowser, Ruyji), but that's likely going to be Nintendo's doing to speed up release as Valve and Blizzard have previously done, nothing official. On the whole SSBU should be unaffected.
Well if China ends up with an exclusive Steven Universe Mii Costume, we'll know what happened there.
god i hope this joke doesn't fly over everyone's head

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Like I said, it's pretty ****ing scary. You could say the same about Disney but at least they have NBCUniversal and TimeWarner keeping then in check. On the flipside of the coin with Tencent if you're in China in some way 9 times out of 10 your underneath Tencent.

They're like the gatekeepers of China's video game industry and since China is the biggest industry in the world, if you're not in that industry you're losing out on a LOT of profit.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

What if we get 8-12 songs exclusively from the Fatal Fury games, but we get mii costumes from other SNK series and each specific costume has their own song ala Sans?

If so, what costumes/songs would you want? Only rule is they can't be Fatal Fury costumes and the songs have to relate to the specific mii costume at hand.
If Sakurai's going to do me dirty and give me a Kyo Mii Fighter costume, I'd at LEAST like Esaka 96 to come with it, better yet the arranged version or a new remix.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The Mishima trio needs to be alts/echoes of each other.
The reveal trailer starts out with Jin, who shows off a bunch of moves. Then Kazuya shows up and throws Jin into a volcano. Then Heihachi shows up and throws Kazuya into a volcano. Then Jinpachi shows up and throws Heihachi into a volcano...

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Like I said, it's pretty ****ing scary. You could say the same about Disney but at least they have NBCUniversal and TimeWarner keeping then in check. On the flipside of the coin with Tencent if you're in China in some way 9 times out of 10 your underneath Tencent.

They're like the gatekeepers of China's video game industry and since China is the biggest industry in the world, if you're not in that industry you're losing out on a LOT of profit.
And people still want me to drop my Blizzard boycott to "keep IP's afloat". Rubbish.

D

Deleted member

Morning.

Someone go hit up Vergeben i need some leaks or SOMETHING
As much as I want to, I...don't have a gamefaqs account. Had I made one just for that, it wouldn't seem reasonable. The guy has a life, y'know?

Athena Asamiya/Psycho Soldier Remix or riot.
Any of the Ikari Team/Rumbling in the City or bust.
Iori Yagami/Sax or hunger strike.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
And people still want me to drop my Blizzard boycott to "keep IP's afloat". Rubbish.
For a long time I was debating getting Diablo 3 on Switch, especially with the Twilight Princess Ganondorf costume, but after this... I just straight up removed it from my Switch watchlist. Especially if those rumors about Diablo 4, especially the retconning previous games thing, turns out true

D

Deleted member

For a long time I was debating getting Diablo 3 on Switch, especially with the Twilight Princess Ganondorf costume, but after this... I just straight up removed it from my Switch watchlist. Especially if those rumors about Diablo 4, especially the retconning previous games thing, turns out true
I also planned to get Overwatch on Switch...then the Hong Kong - China protests happened, and bam, instant cancel and boycott.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It's funny, my friends and I were super into Overwatch for a good while, but fell out because of all the changes and loot boxes and blizzard controversies and stuff.

Last month, we decided to hop back in because we were bored. We had fun, figured we would jump back in. Then the Hong Kong Debacle happened and... Yeah, we all uninstalled. Lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While I don't disagree with your stance the issue with Tencent goes far deeper than just Blizzard. As some people have already said most companies that want to break into the Chinese market deal with them, and that includes Nintendo. Their reach is incredibly wide and even extends outside of video games (they have investments in Discord and Reddit for example)
While the response to Blizzard's actions have obviously had an effect and people have taken notice to what's been going on, I'm not sure we'll see far-reaching changes without some sort of government oversight.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
While I don't disagree with your stance the issue with Tencent goes far deeper than just Blizzard. As some people have already said most companies that want to break into the Chinese market deal with them, and that includes Nintendo. Their reach is incredibly wide and even extends outside of video games (they have investments in Discord and Reddit for example)
While the response to Blizzard's actions have obviously had an effect and people have taken notice to what's been going on, I'm not sure we'll see far-reaching changes without some sort of government oversight.
Yeah, you're right. But I'm less inclined to hold such dealings against a company until backwards Chinese ideals manifest themselves in the company's actions (as we've now seen with Blizzard). It's a damn shame that they essentially must be worked with to carve out a spot in the Chinese market. When companies begin prioritizing that market over other markets, or over liberties like free speech, that's when they lose my money and support.

And: Like I've said, the goal of the boycott isn't to somehow hurt China or even Tencent, but to make it clear what kind of attitude is expected and appreciated by consumers. It aims to inspire a more respectable mindset from other developers.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Yeah, you're right. But I'm less inclined to hold such dealings against a company until backwards Chinese ideals manifest themselves in the company's actions (as we've now seen with Blizzard). It's a damn shame that they essentially must be worked with to carve out a spot in the Chinese market. When companies begin prioritizing that market over other markets, or over liberties like free speech, that's when they lose my money and support.

And: Like I've said, the goal of the boycott isn't to somehow hurt China or even Tencent, but to make it clear what kind of attitude is expected and appreciated by consumers. It aims to inspire a more respectable mindset from other developers.
The China situation is honestly a very ****ty one. Firstly, because they're a totalitarian regime with that ****ed up social credit system and secondly, they're the largest economic force in the world.
The other problem is how the stock market is set up in that investors only want to see growth. As a business, you could have a year that's just as good as a previous year, but that's not good enough for investors, so eventually companies need to keep expanding and what's one of the biggest markets in the world? China. So even if China is taking over the world right now economically, companies need to turn to it for growth and as a result Tencent has its hands in so many companies and therefore can influence them like we saw with Blizzard and as mentioned previously the NBA.

D

Deleted member

I hate to play the pessimist but I'm going to say that when given the choice between losing some hundred-thousand customers over boycotts vs. losing millions over being banned in China, China wins every time. I'm not saying that's the right desicion, but it's the pragmatic one, and I have no reason to believe that if any other company were put in Blizzard's shoes that they wouldn't have done the same thing.
Just to be clear I'm also in the same position of boycotting Blizzard, and while I'm not of the mindset of "boycotts never work" I'm just not hopeful that the companies themselves will change, but I do hope the outcry will cause changes elsewhere that will have an effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I don't see how Heihachi's backstory or personality would matter to people who don't know or care about Tekken, since not much of that is going to get into Smash. Those people would probably prefer the other Kazamas for thei rmore varied movesets.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's funny, my friends and I were super into Overwatch for a good while, but fell out because of all the changes and loot boxes and blizzard controversies and stuff.

Last month, we decided to hop back in because we were bored. We had fun, figured we would jump back in. Then the Hong Kong Debacle happened and... Yeah, we all uninstalled. Lol
That's legit what happened to me! I loved the first year of the game and the beta and then the changes soured me, but when it was announced for Switch I was strongly considering getting it (and was very on board with Tracer in Smash) and then......yeah.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I’m sure this has been discussed at some point, but a thought keeps running through my mind:

Do you guys think Terry will get an alt based on his Garou look? On one hand, it’s a great design, beloved by many, and almost every DLC character has gotten an alt.

On the other hand, I could totally see Sakurai rejecting it because it would make the animations that involve his hat look weird (the idle pose/taunt we saw in the gameplay teaser and the obvious hat throw victory pose). That’s absolutely something that would at least cross his mind as an issue.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
On the other hand, I could totally see Sakurai rejecting it because it would make the animations that involve his hat look weird (the idle pose/taunt we saw in the gameplay teaser and the obvious hat throw victory pose). That’s absolutely something that would at least cross his mind as an issue.
Alt costumes can have animation changes. This is the case with both genders of PT and Inkling.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Alt costumes can have animation changes. This is the case with both genders of PT and Inkling.
Alternate costumes getting animation changes must be a "fair game so long as it doesn't change their hurtbox" thing, so any character that doesn't just stand in the background won't have any unique animations in battle, but victory poses could change if need be.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
It’s not even a sizable part of Blizzard.. they own roughly 5%. The reason Blizzard is bending their way, and many other companies, is not due to owner by Chinese companies, it’s much more worrisome. It’s due to the size of the market over there that significantly outweighs the Japanese and western markets combined. For example, the entire gaming market in western countries (North America, South American, and Europe) amount to somewhere between 160-180 million people. China’s gaming market is estimated to be 620-650 million people. Companies see that the one country has 3-4 times the potential customers, along with much more lax laws and views when it comes to less respectful MTX (lootboxes and RNG gatcha mechanics), they simply go to where the more profit potential is located rather than working harder to please a much smaller market that has higher standards when it comes to purchasing games and post-purchase transactions (Games as a Service).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom