• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Well, that was a rollercoaster of an hour.

Still, I wouldn't count out a Terry demonstration either this Friday (November 1) like Gwen and Rie said, and since October is almost done then I expect Terry's demonstration next week at the latest.
Refresh me since it's been a while, why are we expecting Terry early November?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Refresh me since it's been a while, why are we expecting Terry early November?
Becaue when you announce something for November, people want it to be early November to minimise waiting.

Plank08

Smash Lord
There are fan bases for every character you can imagine but that doesn’t mean people like kosmos aren’t pretty niche.
How can I like a post twice?
You mean my desire for a female character? Sir, if I adapted your way of thinking, I'd be proclaiming that all these newcomers are not Morrigan, and that's quite harsh to hear for some people who genuinely want them in. You're so focused on porky it’s scary.
. He was obviously joking...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well we have a maximum of 33 more days to wait for Terry/the new character reveal/Little Mac buffs so it's not too much longer to go

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I'd like a second FF rep as well, just not another FF7 subseries rep.
Specifically, I'm interested in seeing one of the MMOs get a character in. Shantotto from XI is the obvious choice. XIV has a lot of good options as well, and I'm down for almost any notable character that isn't a Garlean (or Derplander).

Outside of that, a Tactics rep could be fun, but the most fitting choice would likely be Gilgamesh since he could serve as a cross-franchise rep.

Only downside is SE's prior restrictions on music. XIV has some absolutely brilliant music that deserves to be heard, and if we ended up with just "Torn From the Heavens" and "Hard to Miss", well... That'd be a shame.
Granted, they are still good songs.
Agreed, I'm just also trying to look at it from Sakurai's perspective and still be realistic. Shantotto would be amazing and rival Bayonetta and Viridi for snarkiest quips.

Don't discount Derplander though! For better or worse, he is the face of all the marketing with his own story being told through the cutscenes, he has an actual name name (Meteor), and technically is canonized too as Ardbert, the alternate-universe leader of the Warriors of Darkness, which makes him a duel antagonist-protagonist even. And being that he's been shown to use so many different jobs (especially all at once in the Shadowbringers cinematic), his moveset and costume potential is plentiful and he has a lot of potential.

TL;DR, Derplander be cool, so don't be dissin my boi Derp. :p

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't even necessarily want Terry in early November, just that I feel that Nintendo might release Terry's video / his DLC in between their two big upcoming Nintendo releases, Luigi's Mansion 3 (October 31) and Pokemon Sword and Shield (November 15). Pokemon will dominate everything after the 15th, so Terry's release being before that seems ideal so that Terry's release doesn't get swept under the rug, but they also don't want Luigi's Mansion 3 getting swept under the rug, so some time after that game's release like a week after or something would give Luigi's Mansion some time to breathe.

D

Deleted member

Good morning.

What was that I heard about the Nintendo website crashing? Oh wait, it's fixed, nevermind.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't even necessarily want Terry in early November, just that I feel that Nintendo might release Terry's video / his DLC in between their two big upcoming Nintendo releases, Luigi's Mansion 3 (October 31) and Pokemon Sword and Shield (November 15). Pokemon will dominate everything after the 15th, so Terry's release being before that seems ideal so that Terry's release doesn't get swept under the rug, but they also don't want Luigi's Mansion 3 getting swept under the rug, so some time after that game's release like a week after or something would give Luigi's Mansion some time to breathe.
November 6th is probably the best and safest option.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Has anyone data mined the website to see if anything else has been added?

Games companies are pretty bad about that.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
You mean my desire for a female character? Sir, if I adapted your way of thinking, I'd be proclaiming that all these newcomers are not Morrigan, and that's quite harsh to hear for some people who genuinely want them in. You're so focused on Porky it's scary.
That's Will's entire shtick though. He posts a bunch about Porky and a solid 50% of it is joking and ****posting.

Don't be so quick to jump on people.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Just remember, even if Terry is on the 6th, we may not get any info of character 5 for a while. Joker was revealed without info on character 2 after all.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Just remember, even if Terry is on the 6th, we may not get any info of character 5 for a while. Joker was revealed without info on character 2 after all.
Sakurai did state that Joker was revealed earlier than he personally inteded to, though. Joker was only revealed at the Game Awards because Nintendo requested it. With the other FP characters, it's perfectly possible that everything's being revealed on his terms, which could mean no "gaps".

Last edited:

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Depends on how they drop Terry. If it turns out to be a full-blown Smash Direct that would also announce more stuff beyond him, then it'd be likely. Otherwise, don't expect anything if it's a straight gameplay demonstration.

I'm only proposing a Direct in that nearly every member of Ultimate's class has been revealed in a Direct, either general or Smash-focused. Sole exception was Joker at last year's Game Awards and that was only because Sakurai's hand got forced, which would've meant that Joker could have been announced in the Feb. 2019 Direct instead, so it'd either be that, a Direct or any major instance where they can get a lot of publicity from now until Feb next year.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ok but we'll have a brand new character we know nothing about with a stage we know nothing about alongside the inevitable twitter clips to show how nutty they are. We should be able to handle waiting after Terry drops

D

Deleted member

It would be logical, but if it were so, we'll be stuck in the dark for quite a while

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This is the most likely scenario I'm seeing to be honest. I feel we're only going to be getting Terry gameplay and release date then DLC fighter 5 not being revealed until VGA.

I'd love to be wrong though.

D

Deleted member

This is the most likely scenario I'm seeing to be honest. I feel we're only going to be getting Terry gameplay and release date then DLC fighter 5 not being revealed until VGA.

As much as this is the most likely scenario, I sometimes don't feel like being in the dark coz in the end my hopes would probably be screwed over.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I always assumed that a Terry presentation would be focused on him. If we get a Nintendo Direct then maybe they will repeat what they did last time: announcing a Terry presentation just after the direct and then announcing FP5.

But I don't think we're gonna get a general direct.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

I'm starting to think the VGA reveal might have been a one-time thing. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Guess we'll know soon enough.

Last edited:

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
It would be logical, but if it were so, we'll be stuck in the dark for quite a while
I'll contest that in that nothing in this remotely indicates being "stuck in the dark". We've a maximum of one month to wait for Terry, a possible reveal for DLC 5 from November to January (hell, even February if they wanted to -- it'd still fit in the deadlines Nintendo themselves set), and that character dropping in February. Compared to the 4 months of almost absolute nothingness between launch day and Joker's release (which bears repeating, is the first time anyone saw gameplay footage of him publicly), this'll be a cakewalk to go through.

But I don't think we're gonna get a general direct.
General Directs are done for the year, but it wouldn't necessarily stop one purely focused on Smash (December 2015 and November last year). It'd be possible at the very least.

I'm starting to think the VGAs might have been a one-time thing. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Guess we'll know soon enough.
I'd only assume a VGA reveal if they are absolutely sure they can get a very positive reaction out of the mostly Western crowd. Not that I'm an advocate for him, but Doomslayer would be a pretty notable example to get a pop.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I'd only assume a VGA reveal if they are absolutely sure they can get a very positive reaction out of the mostly Western crowd. Not that I'm an advocate for him, but Doomslayer would be a pretty notable example to get a pop.
*Revs up Chainsaw*

I'm starting to think the VGA reveal might have been a one-time thing. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Guess we'll know soon enough.
Ppl forget that Smash dropped on the night of the VMAs. IMO its a long shot that we’ll get more Smash this year

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So. I have a reason to believe we're getting news soon. That reason is? Nintendo Nederland, the Dutch one, is promoting ad tweets for Smash Ultimate
This can only mean one thing: we're getting a Dutch character in Smash! Aloy, anyone?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well, last year's VGA was a good way to introduce the first of the fighter's pass which turned out to be Persona 5's Joker. I would love it if they did the same to introduce another new fighter beyond the 5th fighter.

Anyways on the bright side, at least November is just around the corner in which I would possibly expect Nintendo to do Smash presentation of Terry Bogard soon.

toonito

Smash Ace
A newcomer concept that could be interesting is a character that uses all kicks for its moves ala Little Mac all-punch moveset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom