• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So this was making the rounds on Twitter today and I thought yall would get some entertainment from this obvious fake leak. Between >doomguy, Rockstar somehow deciding that it'd be a good idea to restrict their next huge release to the ****ing Switch, and MINECRAFT ****ING 2, I have no idea which part of this leak is the most outlandish. I usually don't bring up obvious fake 4Chan leaks, but this managed to get Minecraft 2 trending on Twitter so I'm surprised nobody mentioned it here yet
Even if it's fake (and obviously it is) the presence of a new Kid Icarus game makes the leak a good one.

IAmGiles

Smash Cadet
I've heard a lot of complaints about Sora's design, almost always his shoes, but when I look at him I don't see anything that stands out as particularly weird or unusual. Especially for a JRPG character, which tend to have a problem with being over designed. So what is it about his design that bugs you?
Also, there's 4 different designs to begin with, so when people say "I hate Sora's design" I'm curious as to whether that applies to all of them or just some of them.
Sorry for the delayed response, the conversation has long since moved on, but I felt I owed y'all a response.

As a forwarning, this is going to be incredibly disrespectful to the character, but I do it mostly for comedic effect, not to offend any potential fans of Sora. This is my personal opinion, and nothing more than that. It's fine if y'all like his design.

Offensive opinion hidden within the spoiler tag so people don't have to read it if they don't want to.

So, I pretty much dislike all of his designs. The shoes are much too big, his hair is spiky in all the wrong ways, the color scheme offends me, and his face is both childish and dumb.

It's like they took all the worst parts of Final Fantasy character design and blended it with the worst parts of Disney, then tried to act like we should take it seriously, even though it's an affront to all things good and holy.

It's like they said, "what if your childhood memories had shameful relations on a hot wheels bed", and Sora was the end result.

Then, with the latest design, it seems like they realized the original design was awful and tried to cover up the *blech* in a heaping dose of "too cool for school". It's like putting sunglasses on a corpse. It doesn't fool me.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
View attachment 243796
So this was making the rounds on Twitter today and I thought yall would get some entertainment from this obvious fake leak. Between >doomguy, Rockstar somehow deciding that it'd be a good idea to restrict their next huge release to the ****ing Switch, and MINECRAFT ****ING 2, I have no idea which part of this leak is the most outlandish. I usually don't bring up obvious fake 4Chan leaks, but this managed to get Minecraft 2 trending on Twitter so I'm surprised nobody mentioned it here yet
That thread was hilarious because they found the guy who made it because he bragged about it on twitter.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Obvious fake status aside, I have to admit: Doom Slayer's reveal trailer tying into the Kid Icarus universe is probably one of the most original ideas I've ever heard for his possible reveal trailer.

Despite how stupid most of the other stuff sounds, I feel like I need to give some creativity props to the poster on that one. People just say Doom Slayer would tie in with Metroid 99% of the time.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Its from 4Chan so its obviously fake.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
View attachment 243796
This person put the least amount of effort into a leak I've ever seen. Feel like I should applaud it for that reason alone

Plank08

Smash Lord
I’ve given it some thought, and I would happily accept Arle if her specials primarily used Puzzle based attacks, like Tetris and Puyo Puyo attacks, because we really don’t have a full puzzle rep(Dr.Mario barely counts)

Abade

Smash Apprentice
Thoughts:
  • Direct Date: Plausible, possibly correct.
  • Terry release: Guaranteed if the above is correct.
  • Doom's Protagonist's reveal: Why the heck would his trailer be tied to Kid Icarus? He has nothing to do with heaven or angels.
  • Kid Icarus Uprising 2: Not likely to happen unless Kid Icarus Uprising comes to switch as well.
  • Breath of the Wild 2 trailer: Likely, but no way is this game coming this year.
  • Switch Pro: While it would be funny to have a Switch, a Switch that can't dock, and a Switch that can't undock, I really hope they don't ever make a pro version unless it's the equivalent of having a new console.
  • Minecraft 2: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition release date: Maybe but probably not.
  • Animal Crossing: Highly likely if not guaranteed.
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 and Cyberpunk 2077: Those games would probably melt the Switch (even a slightly upgraded pro version) and I doubt the company behind these games want to down rez these games for the console. Also ew pro version exclusives.
  • Super Mario 3D World port: Wouldn't surprise me.
  • GTA VI: The series hasn't even touched Nintendo consoles. Why would it be Switch exclusive?
  • Super Mario Galaxy 3: Why would they go back to Galaxy after Odyssey? It would be cool but still baffling as I'm pretty sure most people have moved on already.
EDIT: I don't know why I though 2020 = this year...
There have been Grand Theft Auto games released on Nintendo platforms.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie... that fake leak was slightly believable at first, then it went off the rails lol. It's not even worth discussing, but SM Galaxy 3 and KI Uprising 2 would be nice.

If you could add a PSASBR character into Smash, who would it be?
I shouldn't even have to say it... Fat Princess. :secretkpop:

Ooohh I get it, you want the sims! :ultpacman:
I Kid, I kid,Style savvy would actually be pretty interesting , I’ve never seen anyone really request them like that, I hope you get your wish one day.
You'd be surprised how active the support thread was during the Smash 4 days, but the current group of people here who want it to happen is bigger than you'd think. We're not a vocal bunch overall, but Style Savvy has a lot going for it. I've also noticed that a lot of people who aren't Style Savvy fans still warm up to the idea of it. Probably more than most games they've never played because the idea is pure gold TBH.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
  • GTA VI: The series hasn't even touched Nintendo consoles. Why would it be Switch exclusive?
Actually, Chinatown Wars was a DS exclusive for a little bit before being ported to PSP and mobile, so GTA had some Nintendo presence. Still, a handheld spinoff isn't enough to motivate Rockstar to completely alienate their massive PS4/Xbox audience, so big doubts here. At most I could maybe see a port of GTA V or some of the older games happening, but no way in hell would Rockstar shoot themselves in the foot by restricting the next mainline GTA to the Switch.
That thread was hilarious because they found the guy who made it because he bragged about it on twitter.
Are you serious? God I wish I had that level of self confidence
Obvious fake status aside, I have to admit: Doom Slayer's reveal trailer tying into the Kid Icarus universe is probably one of the most original ideas I've ever heard for his possible reveal trailer.

Despite how stupid most of the other stuff sounds, I feel like I need to give some creativity props to the poster on that one. People just say Doom Slayer would tie in with Metroid 99% of the time.
I mean including Doom Slayer is usually the most creatively bankrupt thing you can do for a fake Smash leak, but I'll give them credit for not not copying Ridley's trailer like every one of those leaks seems to do. Plus Kid Icarus does kinda make sense because heaven and angels are a thing in Doom Eternal, sp kudos to that guy for doing something kinda different for the most redundant leak character.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Technically, we have ROB, who's a toy designed to be a gaming pheriperal. If we applied that logic, virtual Tamagotchi would be a logical pick. That goes for Digimon.
That's something else entirely, honestly. The 'must originate from a video game' thing was only in regards to 3rd Party characters, anything Nintendo is fair game since its all owned by Nintendo. ROB and Game & Watch are important to Nintendo and gaming (ROB being made to help sell a video game console and G&W being the precursor to Handheld Gaming and the origin of the D-Pad).
Beyond that bit of confusion, Digimon would have to beat out heavy hitters from Namco Bandai like Tekken and Tales, which I doubt would happen to be honest, if only due to Digimon's time having long since passed. While I love Digimon, its nowhere near a big name any more.
LCD Game doesn't mean Video Game. Like I said, its a gray area, so it depends on Sakurai & Nintendo's definition and how far they are willing to stretch the definition of a Video Game.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
true, but it's never been a Nintendo exclusive. as aforementioned they'd also prioritize PS4/XB1/PC before considering a Nintendo system
Well, there was GTA Advance, that's an exclusive, but yeah obviously GTAVI will never be anyone's exclusive.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
It doesn't need to stretch at all. Under official definitions the term is broad enough to include those 20 Questions pocket game thingies.
I think what DevaAshera DevaAshera is getting at isn't regarding "official" definitions, but Nintendo and Sakurai's. They're not gonna be googling the definition of a video game and checking it against different series to see if they're eligible. They're gonna be thinking of video game series.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 243796
Hooo boy, where do we start?

• Direct on Nov 6? Passable.
  • Of course Tery releases with the Direct.
  • No no no no no no NO! And that Kid Icarus tie-in? I've watched enough Kid Icarus gameplay to prove that. Doom has demons, yes, but I can hardly see them correlate. #NoWomenNoBuy
  • I am suspicious of Uprising 2.
  • BOTW 2020, we'll take that.
  • Suspicious of Switch Pro since we already got a Switch variant this year.
  • Minecraft 2? Really? Trying too hard.
  • Xeno1 Definitive looks interesting, but I highly doubt of it.
  • AC Trailer is pretty fishy
  • Why would you restrict your biggest release to the Switch? I mean, sure but...
  • See top.
  • SMG3 is pretty fishy

In conclusion, obviously fake, trying too hard, yadda yadda yadda.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think what DevaAshera DevaAshera is getting at isn't regarding "official" definitions, but Nintendo and Sakurai's. They're not gonna be googling the definition of a video game and checking it against different series to see if they're eligible. They're gonna be thinking of video game series.
I suppose, but I highly doubt that the same people who looked at the Game & Watch and said "Yes that's a video game" are going to say "No Tomogatchi is not a video game."

KatKit

Smash Lord
Was expecting you to say Criminal Pauline somewhere in here.

Criminal Pauline? Dang, I hate how good that fits lol.

Late reply (just saw this), but forget about an essay... If we got freakin' Carmen Sandiego as a playable rep in Smash, I'd straight up film a low budget shot-for-shot remake of her Where on Earth intro, complete with costumes, scenery, terrible background singing and props.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Yes, thank you, that's what I've been meaning this whole time. What qualifies as a video game can be different from person to person.
For some, anything electronic and playable is a video game, to others its any game that can be played on a console, handheld device, or PC, for others its the same as the last one but doesn't include mobile games.
Sakurai likely has his own ideas on what would qualify as a video game and its debatable that an LCD Game would qualify as a Video Game.
I mean, even that Director that they used as evidence for Digimon being a video game referred to it as an LCD Game, not a Video Game.
I suppose, but I highly doubt that the same people who looked at the Game & Watch and said "Yes that's a video game" are going to say "No Tomogatchi is not a video game."
Like I said previously, Game & Watch (and ROB) are different, they are owned by Nintendo and have some importance to gaming history (ROB for helping revive the game industry and G&W for being the originator of the D-Pad). However, the biggest reason they got to be included is because they are Nintendo creations, so they do not fall under the 'rules' Sakurai gave for 3rd Party characters. The 'must originate from a video game' thing has only ever referred to 3rd Party characters, not 1st or 2nd Party characters..so they are exempt from that.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yes, thank you, that's what I've been meaning this whole time. What qualifies as a video game can be different from person to person.
For some, anything electronic and playable is a video game, to others its any game that can be played on a console, handheld device, or PC, for others its the same as the last one but doesn't include mobile games.
Sakurai likely has his own ideas on what would qualify as a video game and its debatable that an LCD Game would qualify as a Video Game.
I mean, even that Director that they used as evidence for Digimon being a video game referred to it as an LCD Game, not a Video Game.
Literally speaking Digimon is straight up video game characters (Unless they debuted in the anime, then probably not). No ifs ands or buts about it. People can gatekeep them all they want (even if said people are the devs) but as far as this rule is concerned, this rule should not be an issue when considering the inclusion of Digimon. What will keep them out of the game for a while (like, multiple games) is the fact that Digimon as a series isn't really relevant in today's market, and Heihachi and Lloyd exist.

Game & Watch is also Nintendo history--Tamagatchi are not.
This doesn't really matter in my opinion as the Nintendo relation requirement has been stretched to "they're going to be in that one low profile spin off of a spin off soon".

Sorry if I sound aggressive here, I'm just being a bit more blunt than normal. I need to get some sleep. 6 AM's not going to come any later. lol

D

Deleted member

Literally speaking Digimon is straight up video game characters (Unless they debuted in the anime, then probably not). No ifs ands or buts about it. People can gatekeep them all they want (even if said people are the devs) but as far as this rule is concerned, this rule should not be an issue when considering the inclusion of Digimon. What will keep them out of the game for a while (like, multiple games) is the fact that Digimon as a series isn't really relevant in today's market, and Heihachi and Lloyd exist.
I definitely agree. While Digimon is popular as an anime, is still has its gaming roots. They still originated from a video game (the handheld), and they have multiple games after them, especially coming from Bandai NAmco of all corporations. Digimon making into Smash would be very logical, considering that the game is made by Bandai Namco after all. I do admit that the franchise has not been in a relevant or major release/event/series, they are still a credible option, just...probably give them some more time. Relevance isn't an issue, just ask Banjo-Kazooie.

This doesn't really matter in my opinion as the Nintendo relation requirement has been stretched to "they're going to be in that one low profile spin off of a spin off soon".
Most probably.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I can’t believe someone put Minecraft 2 in their fake leak and expected someone to believe it.

Seriously though:

1. Anything they’d want to add to Minecraft’s world would be through updates to the main game or a side game like Dungeons, they’re never going to make a sequel because it’d make no sense.

2. You can ignore my first point because they already made Minecraft 2 with Red, Blue, and Purple versions for one April Fools day and their downloads are still available on the main Minecraft Wiki.

Sysreq

Smash Ace

Sorry if I sound aggressive here, I'm just being a bit more blunt than normal. I need to get some sleep. 6 AM's not going to come any later. lol
Okay, but we weren't talking about relationships to Nintendo; we were talking about how Sakurai and Nintendo could view virtual pets.

Also it's okay, I've been aggressive on this topic in the past too, for some reason.

D

Deleted member

I can’t believe someone put Minecraft 2 in their fake leak and expected someone to believe it.

Seriously though:

1. Anything they’d want to add to Minecraft’s world would be through updates to the main game or a side game like Dungeons, they’re never going to make a sequel because it’d make no sense.

2. You can ignore my first point because they already made Minecraft 2 with Red, Blue, and Purple versions for one April Fools day and their downloads are still available on the main Minecraft Wiki.
If they were seriously going to do a Minecraft 2, they would've teased it in somewhere within Minecon or something. Plus, we're getting Minecraft Dungeons, and that is completely billed nonsense. And it's on a freaking April Fools Joke.

Graizen

Smash Champion

Like I said previously, Game & Watch (and ROB) are different, they are owned by Nintendo and have some importance to gaming history (ROB for helping revive the game industry and G&W for being the originator of the D-Pad). However, the biggest reason they got to be included is because they are Nintendo creations, so they do not fall under the 'rules' Sakurai gave for 3rd Party characters. The 'must originate from a video game' thing has only ever referred to 3rd Party characters, not 1st or 2nd Party characters..so they are exempt from that.
Game & Watch is also Nintendo history--Tamagatchi are not.
And who in the universe created this magical rule that if it's something from Nintendo, anything can appear in Smash?
Let's put Nintendo's 1889 Hanafuda on Smash now?

NintendoCards.jpg

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

I'm going to be honest here..were it not for wanting Digimon to appear in Smash Bros..would anyone here really consider an LCD Game a Video Game?
LCD Games are their own thing, in my opinion. Its not 'gatekeeping', its an opinion. To me, a Video Game is something played on a Video Game Console, a Handheld, or a PC. I consider LCD games, including Tomagatchi, Virtual Pets, Digimon, Pocket Pikachu, and, yes, Game & Watch as 'toys'. There is nothing wrong with being an Electronic Handheld Game. A lot of people will use the term 'Video Games' for these types of games, but they aren't, they are something different called Electronic Games.
Heck, even the Digimon entry on Wikipedia says the series consists of 'virtual pet toys, anime, manga, video games, films, and a trading card game' placing virtual pet toys and video games as separate entities. The entry for the original virtual pet thing is also referred to as such.
No one refers to the virtual pet Digimon, Tamagotchi, or other things like Pokémon Pikachu (Digital Pet) as video games, that's all I'm saying. Outside of the context of 'can Agumon get into Smash Bros', no one would argue that virtual pets are video games.

But yeah, they won't make it in over Namco's big name series.

Not..really the point here..we aren't talking about 'Nintendo Relation', we're talking about literally part of Nintendo's history, they made it, its part of what got them to where they are.

And who in the universe created this magical rule that if it's something from Nintendo, anything can appear in Smash?
Let's put Nintendo's 1889 Hanafuda on Smash now?

View attachment 243806
That would be Sakurai who decided that. There's a reason that various non-game things for Nintendo, and only Nintendo, get to appear in Super Smash Bros.
He's literally the only person who's view on what's 'okay' to appear in the game matters.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
I'm going to be honest here..were it not for wanting Digimon to appear in Smash Bros..would anyone here really consider an LCD Game a Video Game?
LCD Games are their own thing, in my opinion. Its not 'gatekeeping', its an opinion. To me, a Video Game is something played on a Video Game Console, a Handheld, or a PC. I consider LCD games, including Tomagatchi, Virtual Pets, Digimon, Pocket Pikachu, and, yes, Game & Watch as 'toys'. There is nothing wrong with being an Electronic Handheld Game. A lot of people will use the term 'Video Games' for these types of games, but they aren't, they are something different called Electronic Games.
Heck, even the Digimon entry on Wikipedia says the series consists of 'virtual pet toys, anime, manga, video games, films, and a trading card game' placing virtual pet toys and video games as separate entities. The entry for the original virtual pet thing is also referred to as such.
No one refers to the virtual pet Digimon, Tamagotchi, or other things like Pokémon Pikachu (Digital Pet) as video games, that's all I'm saying. Outside of the context of 'can Agumon get into Smash Bros', no one would argue that virtual pets are video games.

Not..really the point here..we aren't talking about 'Nintendo Relation', we're talking about literally part of Nintendo's history, they made it, its part of what got them to where they are.
Many people play Tamagotchi daily, and they consider these gadgets as Video Games.
Let's disregard them all just because "there are some people trying to put Digimon in Smash"?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If I were to go into the Digimon argument, this would take a lot of philosophy to think about.

In addition to that supposed "stigma" which is somewhat gatekeeping Digimon for some stupid reason, it does have its fair share of competitors. Tekken and Tales are its two biggest contenders, and they have much, much more stuff going for them over Digimon. Both franchises are still really big. Digimon is like the one guy in the middle of the crowd trying to raise its hand.

While I do support the idea of getting them to Smash and giving us the ability to settle the Mon Wars in Smash, this is quite unfortunate for them.

Graizen

Smash Champion
If I were to go into the Digimon argument, this would take a lot of philosophy to think about.

In addition to that supposed "stigma" which is somewhat gatekeeping Digimon for some stupid reason, it does have its fair share of competitors. Tekken and Tales are its two biggest contenders, and they have much, much more stuff going for them over Digimon. Both franchises are still really big. Digimon is like the one guy in the middle of the crowd trying to raise its hand.

While I do support the idea of getting them to Smash and giving us the ability to settle the Mon Wars in Smash, this is quite unfortunate for them.
Digimon as the second biggest Bandai Namco franchise, is not so big as Tales of and Tekken?

Just remembering that Tales of and Tekken are not as well known as Digimon (Yes I am saying that Animes have made Digimon something much better known worldwide, even for people who don't play video games) and that's a big plus.

Remembering that Digimon just got a collection of two wonderful games on the Nintendo Switch, which did not make it to the PS4 or the Xbox.
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-complete-edition-switch/
And that by 2020 Digimon has one more big game coming up for Switch.

And if we think of creative characters that can bring innovation to Smash Bros, Lloyd and Heihachi are not two good options.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Digimon as the second biggest Bandai Namco franchise, is not so big as Tales of and Tekken?

Just remembering that Tales of and Tekken are not as well known as Digimon (Yes I am saying that Animes have made Digimon something much better known worldwide, even for people who don't play video games) and that's a big plus.

Remembering that Digimon just got a collection of two wonderful games on the Nintendo Switch, which did not make it to the PS4 or the Xbox.
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-complete-edition-switch/
To add onto this, the only original Bandai Namco series that's currently beating out Digimon in sales is Pac-Man. That's excluding the "Digital Pets" games.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

And if we think of creative characters that can bring innovation to Smash Bros, Lloyd and Heihachi are not two good options.
I did check Wikipedia for the best-selling video game franchises on Wikipedia, search for Digimon, and did not return any valid entires. Did the same for both Tekken and Tales, and they're on the lower end of the spectrum. While this isn't known to say that Tekken and Tales are bigger than any other gaming franchise, this goes to show that Tekken and Tales have sold more games than Digimon.

Explain in not less than 5 sentences why Lloyd and Heihachi cannot be good options.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Man, I don't know why, but I can't get it through my head that Digimon is a game franchise first and foremost, at least technically.

I feel like one of those parents who think Pokemon is just a TV show and think the games are based off said TV show. I legitimately didn't know how big "games" were to Digimon until a few years ago. But my brain still just tells me "It's an anime".

D

Deleted member

Man, I don't know why, but I can't get it through my head that Digimon is a game franchise first and foremost, at least technically.

I feel like one of those parents who think Pokemon is just a TV show and think the games are based off said TV show. I legitimately didn't know how big "games" were to Digimon until a few years ago. But my brain still just tells me "It's an anime".
Perhaps the same could be said for the Fate franchise, which I support. Fate is more known in the West as the anime franchise and not as the video game franchise, so that's going to cause quite the stir.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Uh guys...

CTerry.PNG
View attachment 243796
I'd love me some Doomguy but this is laughable. Anything on /v/ is though, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom