• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
If people really wanted a female character there is way more likely **** than Reimu or kosmos who are super niche characters. It’s like you guys say you want a female but really you want a waifu female.

Amaterasu
Dixie Kong
Jill valentine or other RE female alt

Like I said if you want characters like Amaterasu solely because her fake genitalia I’d say you’re a lame person, Amaterasu is cool as **** regardless. Choose your characters based on how cool they are, not their fake genitalia.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If people really wanted a female character there is way more likely **** than Reimu or kosmos who are super niche characters. It’s like you guys say you want a female but really you want a waifu female.

Amaterasu
Dixie Kong

Like I said if you want characters like Amaterasu solely because her fake genitalia I’d say you’re a lame person, Amaterasu is cool as **** regardless. Choose your characters based on how cool they are, not their fake genitalia.
KOSMOS and Reimu were "leaked." Ergo, they're discussed. It's not that complicated.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Something about "Minecraft is better represented with a stage than a playable character" really bugs me. Maybe because it's reminding me of bad memories of "Ridley is better represented as a boss than a playable character".
Not to mention, you can't represent the main point of the game without Steve.

Unless you have him as an Assist Trophy or make the stage have a big gimmick, but then that could be done for just about every other character.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Amaterasu
Dixie Kong

What if people wanted Reimu or KOS-MOS because they thought they were cool? Not everything comes down to whether they think a character is "cute" or not.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice

Amaterasu
Dixie Kong

I understand the frustrations with people who want more female characters in Smash just for the sake of having more "waifus," but this kinda feels like you have more of an issue with people discussing characters you don't recognize/care about instead of the ones you're interested in. Reimu and KOS-MOS have their own merits, gameplay-wise.
Regardless of the culture of the Grinch leak (and, to be fair, there were a lot of people using it to justify ****ty behaviour on each side), that at least gave us something tangible to chew on. Not only could we discuss the individual characters, but we also had the art and the extreme depth of the business side of the leak (I still can't get over the fact someone tracked down an obscure French printing company and used a retired employee's name to prop up their fake Smash Bros leak).

Insider leaks on the other hand seem to more or less go down the same way:

"X has leaked Fighter's Pass #5"
"What's their proof?"
"They don't have any, but they do have a reputation of leaking things before"
"Okay, cool, who'd they leak?"
"Y from the Alphabet"
"That'd be neat, haven't we discussed Y before?"
"Yeah, but we still have A's leak of B and P's leak of Q"
"We don't really have much to make a proper judgement of who's in and who's not, so all we can really do is take things with a grain of salt"
Not sure how intentional it was, but the gif in your signature is a really funny visual to the Insider Leak cycle you described.
A straight up puzzle game moveset could be cool to see in how the team pull it off in Smash.
Ooh, ooh, I got one.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Imagine thinking people like Touhou and Xenosaga purely because of the main character's gender and not because they're great characters from great games.

Just imagine.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
If they're cool to people, they're cool to people. Again, not complicated
I was just reading about the extreme feminist that she was upset that someone else thought those character were unlikely cause she wanted a girl, in merely pointing out there are non niche girls with a higher chance if she cared about them.

Then I pointed out that caring if an imaginary wolf character is girl or guy as the reason you want them in the game is pretty lame reason.

What if people wanted Reimu or KOS-MOS because they thought they were cool? Not everything comes down to whether they think a character is "cute" or not.

I’m specifically pointing out a few cool characters who happen to be female who have more of a chance than the niche **** being talked about, for those that are dead set on wanting a female.

Imagine thinking people like Touhou and Xenosaga purely because of the main character's gender and not because they're great characters from great games.

Just imagine.

Some people in this thread just want a girl, they don’t know all the series with a girl that are being talked about. Touhou and Xenosaga can be stand in for whatever insert name you want if you would comprehend the point and not make a strawman.

D

Deleted member

I was just reading about the extreme feminist that she was upset that someone else thought those character were unlikely cause she wanted a girl, in merely pointing out there are non niche girls with a higher chance if she cared about them.

Then I pointed out that caring if an imaginary wolf character is girl or guy as the reason you want them in the game is pretty lame reason.
My point is that people talk about Reimu and KOSMOS is because leaks allowed people to see there merits and learn more about their series. They're the topic as a result instead of Dixie or Amaterasu.

It's more productive to change the topic than complain about the current one, mate.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Real talk, though: indies in Smash are kind of a "when", rather than an "if".

I think right now Reimu is the best shot of indies, because the other viable candidates are either not indies anymore (Minecraft) or already got content of some sort (SK, Shantae and Undertale).

...Though I still doubt Reimu being CP5.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

I’m specifically pointing out a few cool characters who happen to be female who have more of a chance than the niche **** being talked about, for those that are dead set on wanting a female.

Some people in this thread just want a girl, they don’t know all the series with a girl that are being talked about. Touhou and Xenosaga can be stand in for whatever insert name you want if you would comprehend the point and not make a strawman.
Oh I comprehend your point perfectly fine, man.

I just frankly think it's a horrible and toxic one.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I think right now Reimu is the best shot of indies, because the other viable candidates are either not indies anymore (Minecraft) or already got content of some sort (SK, Shantae and Undertale).

Gunvolt tho? Series has a new spinoff, Luminous Avenger iX

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
My point is that people talk about Reimu and KOSMOS is because leaks allowed people to see there merits and learn more about their series. They're the topic as a result instead of Dixie or Amaterasu.
No offense, but why does it need to take rumours and leaks for people to take notice for certain characters and learn about their franchises and their merits for Smash?
What are all the support groups and fan campaign's fans set up for then? Aren't their purpose also to raise awareness and support for various characters and their merits for inclusions, as well as introducing them to potential newcomers that may have never heard of these series before?

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
On the subject of more mainstream female characters over niche ones, I'm just not really invested in most of them as much, and find their prospects less interesting.

Someone like Lara Croft I'll not begrudge because she's (kind of) earned it, and I could likewise give Sarah Kerrigan a nod simply on merit, but most of the other mainstream names that have been thrown around are characters I'm kind of apathetic about, at best.

Though I suppose that also depends on where you draw the line for 'mainstream'.

Out of nowhere "Madotsuki takes the plunge!"

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yoooo, this only just dawned on me.

Since we have Terry coming in with Ryu and Ken again...

Can we PLEAAAASE get some CvS music on Terry's stage? Please?

D

Deleted member

No offense, but why does it need to take rumours and leaks for people to take notice for certain characters and learn about their franchises and their merits for Smash?
What are all the support threads and fan campaign's fans set up for then? Aren't their purpose also to raise awareness and support for various characters and their merits for inclusions, as well as introducing them to potential newcomers that may have never heard of these series before?
I can't answer why. I noticed the correlation that KOSMOS and Reimu became more discussed in this thread when potential leaks came about. It's not like Steve didn't gain traction without the leaks potentially supporting him. You're free to look into that how you may, but it's not a slight on their merits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abade

Smash Apprentice

Just imagine.
N̶o̶b̶o̶d̶y̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶s̶ ̶S̶h̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶U̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶.̶

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Trolling/baiting

Amaterasu
Dixie Kong

This post is based but get ready for the inevitable screeching.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What are all the support threads and fan campaign's fans set up for then? Aren't their purpose also to raise awareness and support for various characters and their merits for inclusions, as well as introducing them to potential newcomers that may have never heard of these series before?
You need to actively go to a character's support thread to learn of their appeal, who they are, what they do, etc. Support threads are honestly just meant to be echo chambers.
As for your first question, there's a rather sime answer. There are a LOT of video games in the world and even more video game characters, sometimes you may not have considered a character despite enjoying their games, sometimes a game isn't quite popular so you haven't heard of it prior to the rumour/leak. Sometimes people simply didn't consider those characters likely only for a leak to surprise them. Terry for example, is a character I felt deserved to be in Smash and I've said it since what, February 2019? Yet I never actually considered Terry to be all that likely

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You need to actively go to a character's support thread to learn of their appeal, who they are, what they do, etc. Support threads are honestly just meant to be echo chambers.
As for your first question, there's a rather sime answer. There are a LOT of video games in the world and even more video game characters, sometimes you may not have considered a character despite enjoying their games, sometimes a game isn't quite popular so you haven't heard of it prior to the rumour/leak. Sometimes people simply didn't consider those characters likely only for a leak to surprise them. Terry for example, is a character I felt deserved to be in Smash and I've said it since what, February 2019? Yet I never actually considered Terry to be all that likely
Yeah I think that's probably more or less why.

People usually don't really view most characters as particularly likely if they aren't talked about much, especially if they aren't brought up within rumours and leaks, which does limit talks about potential options a lot or even being outright brushed aside. Which is why most people get taken off guard whenever we do get surprise characters like Joker and Terry.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Give us the final Kong.

Yeah, Chunky is long overdue!

Amaterasu
Dixie Kong

Careful, it's getting edgy in here again.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
This is why fake leaks are probably so popular; it brings awareness to characters no one would otherwise even consider save for a few devoted fans.
You still hear murmurings of the Chorus Kids to this day.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This is why fake leaks are probably so popular; it brings awareness to characters no one would otherwise even consider save for a few devoted fans.
Skull Kid and Dante ended up getting quite a bit of attention because of this. Loz13 leaked legit stuff and then said we're getting Skull Kid while someone who impersonated the DMCV leaker helped put Dante on everyone's minds like KOSMOS did last week alongside this site learning about Granblue because someone said Katalina from said franchise was getting in

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
In regards to the characters you mentioned, I can think of a few reasons as to why they're not so actively talked about:

Jill Valentine—she has to compete with her male co-stars (Chris and Leon), both of whom are popular in their own right and are arguably more iconic than she is. There's also the fact that she's part of a company that has a wide pool of franchises with popular newcomer requests, making her uphill battle that much steeper.

Amaterasu—she has the same issue as Jill as she's from a company that has made a lot of popular franchises that have still yet to be represented in Smash with a playable character (Devil May Cry, Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, and of course Resident Evil).

Dixie Kong—First-party Nintendo character from a series already repped in Smash. I don't know how this DLC cycle will continue to go on, but from the looks of things we're apparently getting only third-party franchises, with the only possibility for first-party characters coming from new games/unrepresented franchise. It seems Dixie's best chance at getting in is in Smash 6's base roster.

I can't say whether KOS-MOS or Reimu would be more likely than either of them because I can't predict Sakurai, but at the very least they don't run the risk of, say, being upstaged by a more popular (male) co-star, or in Reimu's case, compete with other franchises with popular newcomer requests. Some people are wary of getting invested in a character's chances when they know there's steep competition.

D

Deleted member

Quick. Can someone make a fake leak for my boy Bomberman?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I think you hit the nail in the head of why fake rumours and leaks are so prevalent and popular within the Smash community.
Fans trying to bring more interest for their characters and giving them a bit more of a spotlight and support within the community.

Support groups and fan campaigns will only take you so far I guess...

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
People usually don't really view most characters as particularly likely if they aren't talked about much, especially if they aren't brought up within rumours and leaks, which does limit talks about potential options a lot or even being outright brushed aside.
It's true, and an unfortunate effect of the ripples to waves and echo chamber of the speculation community. Doubly annoying for people like me who's top two most wanted are brushed aside completely for ripples to waves "lock" characters like Doom Slayer.

Actually, here's an idea for a game! Which characters do you want in that are brushed aside for ripples to waves competitors? Not trying to start a conflict, I'm just interested in hearing people talk about their less-considered favorites! :dr^_^:

For me it'd be:

Prince of All Cosmos - due to Lloyd, a Namco competitor, has been gaining traction lately but thankfully aside from that it's just been a matter of general competition.

Dragonborn - due to Doom Slayer, Bethesda competitor that's basically become the poster child for this community's "lock" culture. I have a lot of respect for the Slayer but it bothers me that any piece of general Bethesda evidence is thought to be auto-Doomguy when Bethesda could've negotiated any of their characters. ****, we could end up getting Vault Boy even, gotta keep those options open.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah I think that's probably more or less why.

People usually don't really view most characters as particularly likely if they aren't talked about much, especially if they aren't brought up within rumours and leaks, which does limit talks about potential options a lot or even being outright brushed aside. Which is why most people get taken off guard whenever we do get surprise characters like Joker and Terry.
I'm still waiting for that completely out there Valve leak. Especially if it includes a Dota 2 character...

(Edit: Apparently the image won't load no matter what. If it doesn't for anyone else it's this one.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can whoever's doing this include Edelgard too just so Bold has to consider Edelgard just as likely and worthy of discussion here?
Three Houses doesn't need a leak. She has a legit chance as long as no Three Houses spirits are added. Better than Dimitri and Claude, who I think are just not happening period.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Three Houses doesn't need a leak. She has a legit chance as long as no Three Houses spirits are added. Better than Dimitri and Claude, who I think are just not happening period.
Ok but if Edelgard and Bomberman are in a fake leak together I get to imagine you going from disliking Edelgard to wearing a tinfoil hat and saying "EDIE'S IN BOMBERS WIN!" or some ****

D

Deleted member

Ok but if Edelgard and Bomberman are in a fake leak together I get to imagine you going from disliking Edelgard to wearing a tinfoil hat and saying "EDIE'S IN BOMBERS WIN!" or some ****
I'd think it's fake immediately because Bomberman's already an AT but would make up reasons it's real to keep the leak alive... and I guess to support Edelgard.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I imagine the reason why "leaks" make people consider a character is because either:

1. They haven't heard of them before, but decided to check them out due to curiosity.

or

2. They've actually played their games and loved them, but never put 2-and-2 together and consider them for Smash; or did at one time but forgot, and didn't really mind much either way since they were easy-going about characters joining Smash.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
*here's wishing a prominent fake leak includes Andy one of these days*

:(

I can't believe i'm saying this but I wish Andy was on the Grinch Leak. Sure, it would have been a huge bummer short-term but people would actually be talking about his chances and his name would be discussed in Smash circles all over.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Amaterasu
Dixie Kong

Gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8

Seriously guys, why even humor this?

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace

Amaterasu
Dixie Kong

YES, How DARE I want my favourite character in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom