• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Your reaction: the next Fighter Pass is going to be the Fire Emblem Pass and features 4 characters; Byleth, Dimitri, Claude and Edelgard.

Personally, I'd be ecstatic.
No amount of Laughing Gangrel gifs or MalosNuts would represent how satisfied I am should this happen. It would answer the bizarre argument that Three Houses cannot have favoritism yet it's allowed for the starter Pokemon.

And it would completely shut down the forced Pokemon Trainer gimmick people are seriously suggesting Three Houses should do. Look, if you really want "Pokemon Trainer but with Fire Emblem characters," you're rallying behind the wrong group of characters. Support Kiran the Summoner from FE Heroes to play that role.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Not going to make any assumptions about Terry's reveal date until Push Dustin hits up the Gas Station and sees the promo. Those told us when we'd be getting both Hero and Banjo so I'm counting on Terry getting one as well.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Everybody is snoring on Agumon.

>Digimon originated as V-Pet.
>Digimon vs Pokémon can finally be a reality.
>Is a cute yet fierce cartoon yellow dinosaur so he’d fit in perfectly.
>Would be a very unexpected character since barely anyone talks or speculates about him thus fitting Reggie’s statement.
>Bamco is overdue for more characters.
Everybody is snoring on Agumon because the chances of him being in Smash is slim to none, especially compared to other Bamco characters

D

Deleted member

Meaning you've invested yourself into speculation because of your passion for a certain type of character? Cause I get that.
But I'm sure it'll all pay off.
No amount of Laughing Gangrel gifs or MalosNuts would represent how satisfied I am should this happen. It would answer the bizarre argument that Three Houses cannot have favoritism yet it's allowed for the starter Pokemon.

And it would completely shut down the forced Pokemon Trainer gimmick people are seriously suggesting Three Houses should do. Look, if you really want "Pokemon Trainer but with Fire Emblem characters," you're rallying behind the wrong group of characters. Support Kiran the Summoner from FE Heroes to play that role.
*chuckles since I actually started 3 Houses*

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Everybody is snoring on Agumon because the chances of him being in Smash is slim to none, especially compared to other Bamco characters
Says who? You never know.

Just because Lloyd, Heihachi, and KOS-MOS are talked about/expected the most doesn’t mean they’re the most likely.

Everyone thought Decidueye was the most likely Sun/Moon Pokémon but we got Incineroar instead, a lot people thought Steve was gonna be the Microsoft character but it was Banjo.

I’m not saying Agumon is super likely or will happen over other Bamco characters but it’s very easy to bite your tongue assuming a character is unlikely, we’ve gotten plenty of unexpected characters before.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Says who? You never know.

Just because Lloyd, Heihachi, and KOS-MOS are talked about/expected the most doesn’t mean they’re the most likely.

Everyone thought Decidueye was the most likely Sun/Moon Pokémon but we got Incineroar instead, a lot people thought Steve was gonna be the Microsoft character but it was Banjo.

I’m not saying Agumon is super likely or will happen over other Bamco characters but it’s very easy to bite your tongue assuming a character is unlikely, we’ve gotten plenty of unexpected characters before.
I personally feel like Nintendo's allegiance to the Pokemon Company is enough to thwart Digimon content. Maybe the companies don't see it like that, though. I used to watch Digmon as a kid. Can't say I'm hyped on it because it really is just a television show to me. Never experienced any of the games.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
We talk about most wanted characters a lot, but who is everyone's least wanted? Mine would be Jibanyan. Very much not a fan of Yo-Kai Watch and I don't want it anywhere near Smash.
Good ol' Stevo.
Disney has been in a couple controversies lately so...

Also makes me wonder if they'll ever make another original Disney Animation production.
Raya and the Last Dragon is releasing in 2020.
It is my birthday contreras!
Happy birthday!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

No I'm talking about 4 separate characters, Byleth, Dimitri, Claude and Edelgard. No Trainer mechanic, which wouldn't even make sense for them anyway.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
There are fan bases for every character you can imagine but that doesn’t mean people like kosmos aren’t pretty niche.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Fight me Gwen. Olimar is cancer incarnate and you ain't changing my mind. Blue killing in a throw at 100% while all characters sucks at 150/200+% (Even INCINEROAR THE GRAPPLER) and Violet just hitting harder than Arsene on steroid with the HIGH LEVEL GAMEPLAY of spot dodge to smash is a valid reasons :bobomb:
Idk man most people blindly rush in at Olimar who as a defensive character, blows people up for rushing in. Olimar's good but a lot of people complaining refused to learn how to fight him

D

Deleted member

You know regarding KOS-MOS or Reimu, one of the things that is funny to me is how much they are looked down for a variety of reasons but mostly lack of presence in the west (aka irrelevancy) and I can guarantee that a lot of people who do that pretty much were dunking on everyone that said K. Rool or Banjo were too irrelevant to get in the game. I cannot say if they will make in but I wouldn't be surprised if one or both make it in as they have things going for aside leaks.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I personally feel like Nintendo's allegiance to the Pokemon Company is enough to thwart Digimon content. Maybe the companies don't see it like that, though. I used to watch Digmon as a kid. Can't say I'm hyped on it because it really is just a television show to me. Never experienced any of the games.
The conspiracy theorist in me says that the reason there won't be a Digimon rep is because the Pokemon Company would get pissed about it

D

Deleted member

You know regarding KOS-MOS or Reimu, one of the things that is funny to me is how much they are looked down for a variety of reasons but mostly lack of presence in the west (aka irrelevancy) and I can guarantee that a lot of people who do that pretty much were dunking on everyone that said K. Rool or Banjo were too irrelevant to get in the game. I cannot say if they will make in but I wouldn't be surprised if one or both make it in as they have things going for aside leaks.
Would definitely say the same.

If they were looking for moveset uniqueness, KOS MOS has better stuff, as she has a ****ton of an arsenal at her disposal.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
We talk about most wanted characters a lot, but who is everyone's least wanted? Mine would be Jibanyan. Very much not a fan of Yo-Kai Watch and I don't want it anywhere near Smash.
Any non-video game character. I don't have a video game character I don't want to see in Smash since it should be opened to just about any video game character.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Hot take alert:

Sora

Everything about his design frustrates me on an aesthetic level, and I don't want Disney involved in the game, even tangentially. Additionally, the fact that so many people want him frustrates me even further.

All that said, I've never played the games, and many of my friends with similar tastes as me have played the games and love the games. I'm sure if I actually gave the games a shot, I'd enjoy them and probably like Sora but...

I don't know. Every once in a while, it just feels good to irrationally hate something everyone else loves.
I've heard a lot of complaints about Sora's design, almost always his shoes, but when I look at him I don't see anything that stands out as particularly weird or unusual. Especially for a JRPG character, which tend to have a problem with being over designed. So what is it about his design that bugs you?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I've heard a lot of complaints about Sora's design, almost always his shoes, but when I look at him I don't see anything that stands out as particularly weird or unusual. Especially for a JRPG character, which tend to have a problem with being over designed. So what is it about his design that bugs you?
Also, there's 4 different designs to begin with, so when people say "I hate Sora's design" I'm curious as to whether that applies to all of them or just some of them.

Because if I'm being real here, Roy's ridiculous get-up is something I find much more egregious.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Idk man most people blindly rush in at Olimar who as a defensive character, blows people up for rushing in. Olimar's good but a lot of people complaining refused to learn how to fight him
I know this is an off-topic line tangent but this is so true. People gravitate towards rush-down characters and Olimar just so happens to have a kit that's suited to challenge that notion. Olimar is far from overpowered homies just need to learn the match-up.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Also, there's 4 different designs to begin with, so when people say "I hate Sora's design" I'm curious as to whether that applies to all of them or just some of them.

Because if I'm being real here, Roy's ridiculous get-up is something I find much more egregious.
Tbf considering how ****ing awful Roy is as a unit, I, pretty sure his attire since Smash 4 was him saying "I saved the day so I get to dress myself up" after flinging that sword at a dragon

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Perhaps make it his Forward Aerial? Dunno if it'd be appropriate but it'd certainly be better than making his Forward Aerial a stall and fall attack (especially with the Down Aerial also being a stall and fall).
I got @'d but I'd just like to say the Forward Aerial in my video is not a stall and fall, it's a straight drop. Immediate. Dante goes woosh down.

M@R!3

Smash Ace

Roy looks like he couldn't decide between being a cowboy or swordsman. I don't hate it though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Your reaction: the next Fighter Pass is going to be the Fire Emblem Pass and features 4 characters; Byleth, Dimitri, Claude and Edelgard.

Personally, I'd be ecstatic.
Honestly I'd be down for a Fire Emblem Fighters at this point.

[insert "its called super smash bros ultimate" joke here]

Unlike things that Warriors or Smash has shown, there's a lot of creativity and potential in a game like that. Especially with 3 Houses characters, there's just so much potential in characters like Claude and Edelgard. Dimitri would be unga bunga as **** but that just means he'd be fun as hell.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Their history makes up for their lack of recent relevancy, though. K. Rool and Banjo (a Nintendo character and a formerly Nintendo character) are way closer to Nintendo than Reimu and KOS-MOS (a 3rd party indie and a 3rd party character who's subseries ended years ago).

People shouldn't be hypocritical but they do have a point.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Lack of presence isn't the same thing as irrelevance. An irrelevant character is just one with no recent appearances, but might have been famous in its day or even very well continue being. A character with a lack of presence doesn't necessarily owe it to a passage of time, but rather to their game never having been a big deal at all. Now you can think that it's a fair criticism or not, but it's pretty obvious that the cons against K. Rool and B-K are not the same ones as the ones against Reimu or KOS-MOS.

D

Deleted member

Any non-video game character. I don't have a video game character I don't want to see in Smash since it should be opened to just about any video game character.
Same. It basicalky wants to tear down the foundation of Smash such that it doesn't know what it wants to be.

Lack of presence isn't the same thing as irrelevance. An irrelevant character is just one with no recent appearances, but might have been famous in its day or even very well continue being. A character with a lack of presence doesn't necessarily owe it to a passage of time, but rather to their game never having been a big deal at all. Now you can think that it's a fair criticism or not, but it's pretty obvious that the cons against K. Rool and B-K are not the same ones as the ones against Reimu or KOS-MOS.
Touhou still going strong.

KOS-MOS has lots of crossovers on her resume.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
While all of these female reps are definitely possible, there is one major flaw.

It isn't Porky. :secretkpop:

In all seriousness, people like KOS-MOS and Reimu will probably get in Smash one day since they're from successful franchises. Give it a month, a year, or maybe even 10 years from now, but eventually it'll happen. It'll just suck if you can only get it to happen when you're 60 and in a retirement home.

D

Deleted member

While all of these female reps are definitely possible, there is one major flaw.

It isn't Porky. :secretkpop:

In all seriousness, people like KOS-MOS and Reimu will probably get in Smash one day since they're from successful franchises. Give it a month, a year, or maybe even 10 years from now, but eventually it'll happen. It'll just suck if you can only get it to happen when you're 60 and in a retirement home.
You're seriously that pessimistic.

I wake up everyday in the hopes that I get a female newcomer. It's what you call hope.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Everybody is snoring on Agumon.

>Digimon originated as V-Pet.
>Digimon vs Pokémon can finally be a reality.
>Is a cute yet fierce cartoon yellow dinosaur so he’d fit in perfectly.
>Would be a very unexpected character since barely anyone talks or speculates about him thus fitting Reggie’s statement.
>Bamco is overdue for more characters.

JUST LOOK AT HIM!
https://giphy.com/gifs/eat-fruit-zX1wGSOVVvOSI
Like I've said before, it mostly depends on how Sakurai, personally, views Virtual Pets..they are in this weird gray area between being a game and a toy. I mean, its a thing you can play, so its kind of like a game, but they are typically sold in the toy aisles and not the game area nor game stores, plus a lot of people, were you to ask them what they consider Tomagatchi, they'd say 'toy' (if you said Digimon, chances are they'd say 'Anime' since it was more popular as that than a virtual pet or game).
I personally view them as toys since, well, I don't think anyone that plays them considers themselves as a gamer..at least not for playing them.

D

Deleted member

That's not optimism, that's just illogical for it happen literally right now.
You mean my desire for a female character? Sir, if I adapted your way of thinking, I'd be proclaiming that all these newcomers are not Morrigan, and that's quite harsh to hear for some people who genuinely want them in. You're so focused on Porky it's scary.

If KOS-MOS makes it, I just want "Our Xenopittan" included.

That's the most important bit. >_>
Well, it's a Xeno crossover/union after all. Kinda like Shin Megami Tensei and Persona.

Like I've said before, it mostly depends on how Sakurai, personally, views Virtual Pets..they are in this weird gray area between being a game and a toy. I mean, its a thing you can play, so its kind of like a game, but they are typically sold in the toy aisles and not the game area nor game stores, plus a lot of people, were you to ask them what they consider Tomagatchi, they'd say 'toy' (if you said Digimon, chances are they'd say 'Anime' since it was more popular as that than a virtual pet or game).
I personally view them as toys since, well, I don't think anyone that plays them considers themselves as a gamer..at least not for playing them.
Technically, we have ROB, who's a toy designed to be a gaming pheriperal. If we applied that logic, virtual Tamagotchi would be a logical pick. That goes for Digimon.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Something about "Minecraft is better represented with a stage than a playable character" really bugs me. Maybe because it's reminding me of bad memories of "Ridley is better represented as a boss than a playable character".

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well we've had characters who debuted on single game LCD devices (Mr. Game and Watch) characters who came from arcades (Pac-Man, DK, Mario, Luigi, Little Mac), one who was a physical peripheral (ROB) and one who debuted on home computers (Solid Snake)

It's hard to say where the exact boundries are

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I got @'d but I'd just like to say the Forward Aerial in my video is not a stall and fall, it's a straight drop. Immediate. Dante goes woosh down.
Still sounds really unintuitive to me. So many people would SD with this attack. They may also have trouble hitting their target if Dante starts dropping before the hitbox comes out unless it comes out insanely large and/or fast which I'm not sure they want to do considering it's supposed to drag opponents down with him. It'd be a nightmare with all of the suicide kills if you made it that easy to hit.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Something about "Minecraft is better represented with a stage than a playable character" really bugs me. Maybe because it's reminding me of bad memories of "Ridley is better represented as a boss than a playable character".
It's just "I don't want Minecraft Steve and I'm making excuses". Though I suppose I'd be hypocritical for waying the same for Celeste though my issue is that attacking someone who's had it as rough as Madeline, who is highly implied to have been suicidal, doesn't feel right to me

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's just "I don't want Minecraft Steve and I'm making excuses". Though I suppose I'd be hypocritical for waying the same for Celeste though my issue is that attacking someone who's had it as rough as Madeline, who is highly implied to have been suicidal, doesn't feel right to me
I do think it has some merit to it, though the issue with the argument is the fact that if they added Steve then a Minecraft stage would come with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom