• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Crono got in Smash, a good way to differentiate him from the other RPG swordies is by having an emphasis on double and triple techs from his series. So he'd be accompanied by two other party members like Marle, Lucca, Frog, etc. and special attacks would involve them. Final Smash would most likely be a triple tech since they're so rare and strong.

That said, while he has some techs that could work as a recovery special, my favorite idea is using Lucca's time gate key to teleport using the time travel portals. It'd be a nod to the time travel theme of Crono's game.

His stage should be the Epoch, the time traveling airship you gain on your journey in the game, where the background changes to the different time periods Chrono Trigger takes place in.
I would probably die from hype if Crono would get in especially with those mechanics (double/triple tech & time portals). Also Epoch as a stage would be a great choice, traveling through various eras would represent the game perfectly. They could even throw in different stage hazards depending on the era you're in. I'm getting excited (and a bit sad) just thinking about it...

Plus we would probably get some sweet Chrono Trigger remixes, just imagine fighting on Epoch to the sound of:

I know it won't happen (i mean, it's not impossible but highly unlikely) but nothing can stop me from dreaming about it tho.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So with how Nintendo literally pretended Overwatch didn't even release on the Switch a couple days ago and even offered refunds for pre-orders, which they almost never do, I'm thinking Blizzard characters are out for the foreseeable future.
tbh, I've never seen that much apathy towards a release, especially one Nintendo hyped up just a month ago. It's absolutely fascinating to me.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Let's bring another topic since this is kinda getting repetitive.

Is there any character you like, who doesn't seem to have that many possibilities but you would be fine with them having a Mii Costume?

I loved Goemon's reveal for example even if not a full fledged fighter, I find it amazing to have his costume in absence of content. I would still like a Bomberman one, more Monster Hunter armors, Chun-Li...
A few of my most wanted characters (who I knew had very slim chances of making the roster) already have Mii costumes: Isaac, Lip, Saki, Ribbon Girl...
Each costume is a nice little nod and it makes me happy to see some of my more obscure favorite characters make it into the game in some small way. I'd be quite happy and excited to see Mii costumes based on Advance Wars, StarTropics, Mole Mania, Pro Wrestling, The Last Story, and the Wonderful 101.

I would be absolutely thrilled if Shovel Knight got the Sans treatment. He was one of my top five most wanted newcomers this time around, although I always knew it was kind of a long shot and was happy just to see him make it into the game as an assist.
But after Megalovania was added to the soundtrack alongside the Sans costume, it gave me renewed hope that I might still be able to rock out to Strike the Earth while playing as Shovel Knight in some form in Smash.
There are a few other indie game characters I'd be excited to see represented in this way, like Cadence from Crypt of the NecroDancer, and Quote and Curly from Cave Story.

I would also gladly welcome any and all Chrono Trigger content, costumes or otherwise.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
D

Deleted member

Katsuhiro Harada (Tekken director and general producer of Bandai Namco Entertainment) is not having any of it.

So BGH (yes I call him one of my personal idols), deconfirmed them or what? Curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Follow-up tweet from Harada.

So BGH (yes I call him one of my personal idols), deconfirmed them or what?
I think this is the cause of all this. Anyway, Harada, like Hideki Kamiya, doesn't like Smash spam.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
You know how Banjo & Kazooie were a longtime, popular request for Smash despite being a third-party character whose fanbase mostly stems for two games (one if you're one of the people who doesn't like Banjo-Tooie), and eventually, FINALLY made it in due to constant demand?

I understand that Banjo & Kazooie have the advantage of formerly being Nintendo characters, but man, seeing that kind of constant, ever-present demand for Crono, who similarly is from only one great game, Chrono Trigger (two if we're being generous and counting Chrono Cross, but he's an NPC in that game), would be incredible if, given enough longtime support, it would also get Crono in Smash.

Like with BK, I wouldn't actually expect any revivals or sequels because of their inclusion, it would just be satisfying seeing a game that is widely agreed to be a masterpiece get its star in Smash despite the game being very old.

P.S. but not like those Twitter accounts though

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I meant NieR Automata. But from the sounds of it, it's a game I should play! (Not now though, still making my way through Fursona Persona 5)
If Sora does come to Smash, :ultduckhunt: as a Donald & Goofy spirit and :ultmario: as a Mickey spirit, or riot. :ultdarkpit: as a Riku spirit & :ultzelda: as a Kairi spirit. There...I've done it. The sin has been made. Now make this a thing or riot. (I don't fully believe in the possibility of Mickey, Donald & Goofy ACTUALLY even appearing in spirit for...But lemme just revel in my pity-party.

Here have some more spirits that possibly won't come true.

:ultbayonetta: Maleficent
:ultwario: Pete
:ultganondorf:Master Xehanort (The closest I can think of.)
:ultjoker:Ansem
:ultmewtwo:Xemnas
:ultshulk:Young Xehanort
:ultgnw: :ultmetaknight::ultkirby: (Meta Knight skin) The Heartless
SmashTemplateSora.png
(Click to Enlarge)
Here my pics for Spirits..I figured they may be easier to do as all Original Kingdom Hearts characters.
Aqua, Terra, Ven:
z4.png
z3.png
z2.png

Master Xehanort:
z5.png

Riku:
z1.png

Roxas:
z6.png

Ansem & Xemnas:
z5.png
:ultrobin:
Kairi:
z7.png

Xion:
z8.png

Axel/Lea:
z9.png

Namine:
z10.png

I avoided using any DLC characters except for Sora since none of the previous DLC Spirits used DLC characters other than the ones included in the pack.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You know how Banjo & Kazooie were a longtime, popular request for Smash despite being a third-party character whose fanbase mostly stems for two games (one if you're one of the people who doesn't like Banjo-Tooie), and eventually, FINALLY made it in due to constant demand?

I understand that Banjo & Kazooie have the advantage of formerly being Nintendo characters, but man, seeing that kind of constant, ever-present demand for Crono, who similarly is from only one great game, Chrono Trigger (two if we're being generous and counting Chrono Cross, but he's an NPC in that game), would be incredible if, given enough longtime support, it would also get Crono in Smash.

Like with BK, I wouldn't actually expect any revivals or sequels because of their inclusion, it would just be satisfying seeing a game that is widely agreed to be a masterpiece get its star in Smash despite the game being very old.

P.S. but not like those Twitter accounts though
On one hand that'd be great to see Chrono Trigger content.

On the other hand people would justify using Sakurai's twitter as proof as he tweeted about Chrono Trigger winning the award for 'best game in the Heisei era' a while ago, leading to clickbait Smashtubers making long ass videos on it

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Follow-up tweet from Harada.
Oh jeez, "Developers don't negotiate with Spammer and terrorists." has me lol'ing. This is what you get, you fanatics. :mybodyisreggie:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
On one hand that'd be great to see Chrono Trigger content.

On the other hand people would justify using Sakurai's twitter as proof as he tweeted about Chrono Trigger winning the award for 'best game in the Heisei era' a while ago, leading to clickbait Smashtubers making long *** videos on it
Poor Sakurai can't catch a break. Anything he does or says will open hundreds of cans of worms that become hard for him to keep up with. And for clickbait Smashtubers to take advantage of.

For the record, I don't watch any Smashtubers at all. I just keep my desire to talk about Smash contained within this forum or with my circle of friends if they feel like talking about it.

D

Deleted member

Poor Sakurai can't catch a break. Anything he does or says will open hundreds of cans of worms that become hard for him to keep up with. And for clickbait Smashtubers to take advantage of.

For the record, I don't watch any Smashtubers at all. I just keep my desire to talk about Smash contained within this forum or with my circle of friends if they feel like talking about it.
Same. Most of my recommended is either KoF content, K Pop, or LoL content.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC

I remember the time where people were jumping on something that Sakurai said and then he had to post a tweet that clarified that it wasn't related to Smash. He really can't catch a break; anything he says will be interpreted as such.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The problem was that someone tagged him in a group collab thing and no one noticed.

Social media is one of the best ways to express fan support/popularity/whatever so I don’t think these accounts are bad as long as they aren’t spamming the devs and unrelated people (and they didn’t mean for them to get spammed).

Of course you could say we could all just be happy go-lucky and just be happy if our favorites get in and simply be disappointed or meh about it if they don’t, which is how I used to feel and would feel after Steve/right now, but you can say the same about speculation. I don’t really take these things that seriously though, but of course the trolls, etc. don’t make it easier :I

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Let's be real, the cultlike attitude of dedicated twitter accounts for "I want this character in Smash" is kinda ****ed as it seems like some people are truly obsessed with this ****
Glad someone else thinks like this. It was cute back in 2015 during the Smash ballot days where a few characters would make Twitter accounts to drum up support, but after characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo got in the game, suddenly everyone in their grandmother thinks "WE GOTTA HAVE A TWITTER ACCOUNT AND SPAM THE EXACT SAME STUFF EVERY DAY NON-STOP TO GET THIS CHARACTER IN SMASH!!!!!" because it """worked""" for those three. It's become quite embarrassing to see honestly. I could very well go without seeing unrelated spam from said accounts in random Nintendo tweets from here on out.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The problem was that someone tagged him in a group collab thing and no one noticed.

Social media is one of the best ways to express fan support/popularity/whatever so I don’t think these accounts are bad as long as they aren’t spamming the devs and unrelated people (and they didn’t mean for them to get spammed).
Whatever happened, Harada's Twitter feed was probably flooded so much to the point that it elicited a strong response from him. Though I know Harada likes to mess around from time-to-time, I have a feeling that his frustration here is genuine.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Glad someone else thinks like this. It was cute back in 2015 during the Smash ballot days where a few characters would make Twitter accounts to drum up support, but after characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo got in the game, suddenly everyone in their grandmother thinks "WE GOTTA HAVE A TWITTER ACCOUNT AND SPAM THE EXACT SAME STUFF EVERY DAY NON-STOP TO GET THIS CHARACTER IN SMASH!!!!!" because it """worked""" for those three. It's become quite embarrassing to see honestly. I could very well go without seeing unrelated spam from said accounts in random Nintendo tweets from here on out.
It's also just embarassing, from the whole Grinch fiasco to people angrily screaming at Nintendo that they need to stop giving Fire Emblem any attention because Nintende made a tweet promoting their Fire Emblem game that was gonna release in a month. Even went "For the love of Iwata" as if that'd make Nintendo reconsider marketing a major title

osby

Smash Obsessed
I remember the time where people were jumping on something that Sakurai said and then he had to post a tweet that clarified that it wasn't related to Smash. He really can't catch a break; anything he says will be interpreted as such.
Yeah, and if he ever praises a game and that game gets a character in Smash, everyone will go "SAKURAI PICK!!!" regardless of how choosing process actually went.

Or if he doesn't give one fanbase whatever they want, they claim he personally hates the franchise (looking at you, Metroid and DKC).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, and if he ever praises a game and that game gets a character in Smash, everyone will go "SAKURAI PICK!!!" regardless of how choosing process actually went.

Or if he doesn't give one fanbase whatever they want, they claim he personally hates the franchise (looking at you, Metroid and DKC).
Ok but Sakurai hates me because the monkey man makes monkey sounds like back in the good old days

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC

*sighs* I know that this was sort of inevitable given how big Smash is and how competitive roster selection can get, but this is still frustrating to see when it does happens.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I feel like Joker was definitely a Sakurai pick. He loved the game, he loved the world, he loved the characters, he loved the series, and was like you know what I want to make something with Persona and, boom, Joker in Smash.

Not that he didn't ALSO get in on his own merits, the game being a phenomenon and all, but I do think Joker is a super special case which I think is a super cool thing to say about any specific character.

Aside from Joker? Can't really think of any Sakurai Picks... Dark Pit maybe?

Edit: franchise hating is an absolutely ridiculous fan theory though. It's childish to say the very least.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't think he's far down at all. He's like the top 5 along with 2B, Geno, Lara Croft, and Sora (who is owned by Disney, by developed by SE).

Chrono Trigger is considered one of the greatest RPG's of all time. He definitely has a solid chance of getting into Smash.
Yeah, but, like, 2 games from now.

He could be a Mii costume NOW.

Having a different type of sword doesn't make you not a swordfighter.
Yes, you'd still fall under the hypergeneric term of "swordfighter". But a katana wielder usually plays drastically differently than a fantasy longsword wielder in most video games.

I believe they'd lean more into his NES version with a few moves from the modern trilogy sprinkled in.
Agreed. If for no other reason than the NES versions are 2D and, as such, the moves from that game would translate over easier to Smash.

I think chrono trigger isn’t gonna happen because Hero pretty much takes all of Chronos intresting features
Sadly, I agree. Especially with the addition of Eleven, who has all those new lightning attacks. And his Magic Burst is basically Crono's Luminaire.

Let's be honest, Smash fandom would rather talk about the same six characters they've been discussing for twenty years.
Well, yeah. They're the other 6 characters remaining from my top 8.

If Crono got in Smash, a good way to differentiate him from the other RPG swordies is by having an emphasis on double and triple techs from his series.
A Triple Tech really feels more like a Final Smash type thing.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
If those “same six” characters were added in the game already, they wouldn’t be discussed for twenty years.

Why do you think everyone finally stopped talking about :ultridley::ultkrool:&:ultbanjokazooie: lol?

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
This whole situation was enough to make me log back in for the first time in a while.
My anxiety's flaring up over this, should I be taking Harada's response seriously?
I have a hard time distinguishing sarcastic/jesting responses on the Internet and it'd really, really hurt if some of my favorites were barred from Ultimate because one guy decided to ruin a Tweet chain for everyone else.
I know that I sound a bit childish by asking this, but I don't want to spend the next couple of years living in irrational fear that the chances for my most wanteds have been shot down immensely over a misunderstanding such as this.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This whole situation was enough to make me log back in for the first time in a while.
My anxiety's flaring up over this, should I be taking Harada's response seriously?
I have a hard time distinguishing sarcastic/jesting responses on the Internet and it'd really, really hurt if some of my favorites were barred from Ultimate because one guy decided to ruin a Tweet chain for everyone else.
I know that I sound a bit childish by asking this, but I don't want to spend the next couple of years living in irrational fear that the chances for my most wanteds have been shot down immensely over a misunderstanding such as this.
Harada is known to **** around, even if he was serious, if you didn't do it, don't feel addressed
If those “same six” characters were added in the game already, they wouldn’t be discussed for twenty years.

Why do you think everyone finally stopped talking about :ultridley::ultkrool:&:ultbanjokazooie: lol?
I mean I still see people talking about how bad K.Rool is cause they nerfed him when the game launched because people who lacked fundamentals couldn't beat him

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
In the end, I can easily see this blowing over by the morning. Like others said, Harada is a troll and he wouldn’t be petty enough to actually snitch on the entire fandom for the actions some random idiot caused and have Sakurai punish them by not including their favorites.

The man isn’t your father who spanks you by misbehaving, he’s an experienced and mature game developer who deals with this all the time, he doesn’t let the spamming requests get to him.

At worst, consider it a mild warning if he’s a little serious.
Harada is known to **** around, even if he was serious, if you didn't do it, don't feel addressed

I mean I still see people talking about how bad K.Rool is cause they nerfed him when the game launched because people who lacked fundamentals couldn't beat him
Well, roster speculation wise anyway lol.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Trust me, if Sakurai wanted a character in Smash, one of his colleagues saying that a fan of that character was annoying won't deter him.

plus, I'd bet dollars to donuts he already chose whatever characters for post-FP so it's a moot point anyways.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Bruh its not that serious.
So with how Nintendo literally pretended Overwatch didn't even release on the Switch a couple days ago and even offered refunds for pre-orders, which they almost never do, I'm thinking Blizzard characters are out for the foreseeable future.
Well, that's one good thing to come out of this ****ty situation.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yes, you'd still fall under the hypergeneric term of "swordfighter". But a katana wielder usually plays drastically differently than a fantasy longsword wielder in most video games.
I was referring to the gameplay archetype that almost every sword wielding character is a part of. Which is why I followed up with "I don't think he'll fall into that archetype".

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Yeesh. Didn’t think that would happen. But I’m also not surprised.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
God, Harada is hilarious. I remember during the Tekken 7 prerelease cycle some Americans on Twitter were being stupid about Lucky Chloe and he got so mad he said they were removing her from the international release to replace her with "a bald guy with a gun" and people believed him for a while. I'm hoping this really helps some of us realise that we need to calm the hell down.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Because Blizzard is a subsidiary of Activision, do you guys think this recent Blizzard drama will effect any Activision characters like Crash?

I don't think it will though I'm interested in everyone's thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom