• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
**** like this is why I love Harada. He's one of the funniest game developers that still communicates with his fans on social media.

EDIT: Harada retweeted this pic I'm dying of laughter right now

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel like Joker was definitely a Sakurai pick. He loved the game, he loved the world, he loved the characters, he loved the series, and was like you know what I want to make something with Persona and, boom, Joker in Smash.

Not that he didn't ALSO get in on his own merits, the game being a phenomenon and all, but I do think Joker is a super special case which I think is a super cool thing to say about any specific character.

Aside from Joker? Can't really think of any Sakurai Picks... Dark Pit maybe?

Edit: franchise hating is an absolutely ridiculous fan theory though. It's childish to say the very least.
Frankly I don't think thats the case, that's underplaying P5.

You need to also consider that currently Persona 5 is currently a pretty profilic game getting rerelases, spinoffs, stage play, anime, related media, etc. Its a franchise that actually would get a lot of synergy with Smash just like how they went with DQXI for Hero main alt.

I have no doubt that there is an overlap in characters chosen for the game and franchises that Sakurai loves.
Because Blizzard is a subsidiary of Activision, do you guys think this recent Blizzard drama will effect any Activision characters like Crash?

I don't think it will though I'm interested in everyone's thoughts.
I kinda don't think it would affect it in any way if Crash was decided already but might impact negatively if he was currently in negotiations.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Because Blizzard is a subsidiary of Activision, do you guys think this recent Blizzard drama will effect any Activision characters like Crash?

I don't think it will, if only because Blizzard is the only one getting any heat from this fiasco instead of the entirety of Activision. Considering Activision and Blizzard have merged into one entity, I feel like Activision as a whole should also be held accountable and boycotted alongside the Blizzard portion, but that's neither here nor there. Either way, unless the development for a character started way before the Hong Kong incident, I doubt we'll be seeing an Overwatch character anytime soon.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

I don't think Crash will be affected that much by this. Mostly because he's not a Blizzard creation and he's not managed by the Blizzard side of Activision.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I don't think Kasumi Yoshizowa can be an Echo of Joker..not only is her weapon different (Joker has a knife, she uses a Rapier), but she has the style of a ballet dancer, meaning her movements would likely be very different from Joker..and if neither of those were an issue, they'd likely choose another protagonist, likely Yu Narukami, rather than a secondary character from a secondary version.
Heck, the only Persona character that seems to make sense as a Joker Echo is oddly enough Yosuke Hanamura from Persona 4..not only does he use knives (kunai typically), but some of Joker's moves in Smash are direct mirrors of moves Yosuke uses in Persona 4 Arena.
Kasumi can have different movement animations from Joker like Dark Samus; her movements would be more graceful to reflect her ballerina background. I think she's more likely because aside from having leftover data in the game, she looks the most like Joker visually. She has the red gloves, the black clothing, the longcoat and the pointy shoes, and the mask. She can also have the same school uniform as an alt costume. Unlike Yosuke and Yu, she wields one melee weapon and one gun like Joker, and the Rebellion gauge wouldn't make much sense for them either. And based off of the animations we've seen of her fighting style, it mirrors Joker's, too. She might not have a grappling hook, but they can feasibly give her a ballerina ribbon instead. And she can be used to promote P5 Scramble for Switch, the same way Atlus is using her to promote P5R.

Visual comparison:

Fighting style comparison:

Last edited:

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
There's been a little talk in the Sora support thread. HMK made a new video recently discussing Sora in Smash and asked supporters to get SORA4SMASH trending. Here's the video.

So it was another HMK video. Thanks for the explanation. I’m personally hoping for some female characters like Morrigan, 2B, or Jill, cause I prefer playing females, but I wouldn’t mind Sora. Kingdom Hearts is part of my childhood and it would be amazing if that world was brought to Smash.

SKX31

Smash Master

I don't think so? Blizzard (and Nintendo FTR) are probably going to lay low as much as possible until the smoke clears. Especially considering Mei's VA and the character's recent portrayals. If Blizzard (or Activision for that matter) does have a character in the pipeline they'll likewise keep the lid on as much as possible or even delay. Likewise with negotiations, they'll likely delay those.

It'll affect the reactions to characters (like a lot saying Why TF is Nintendo rewarding A-B?), though, so that's a factor going forward.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't think so? Blizzard (and Nintendo FTR) are probably going to lay low as much as possible until the smoke clears. Especially considering Mei's VA and the character's recent portrayals. If Blizzard (or Activision for that matter) does have a character in the pipeline they'll likewise keep the lid on as much as possible or even delay. Likewise with negotiations, they'll likely delay those.

It'll affect the reactions to characters (like a lot saying Why TF is Nintendo rewarding A-B?), though, so that's a factor going forward.

Tbf Mei's VA lives in China. You think she's gonna say "yeah **** our government!" When she's pretty much at gunpoint?

SKX31

Smash Master
Tbf Mei's VA lives in China. You think she's gonna say "yeah **** our government!" When she's pretty much at gunpoint?
Pretty much my point. Mei's made out to be a symbol of Hong Kong, but her character's VA a Chinese national. She can't go against her own government, but that means she becomes likely target by people taking her stance as = allying with the government. She might not want to lose the VA job at Blizzard either.

It's a really bad situation for her, and it's not her fault.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
In the end, I can easily see this blowing over by the morning. Like others said, Harada is a troll and he wouldn’t be petty enough to actually snitch on the entire fandom for the actions some random idiot caused and have Sakurai punish them by not including their favorites.
I mean...he kinda already DID Snitch. It's not like Sakurai doesn't know about twitter.

Well, it SHOULD. That whole "prioritize our own profits over basic morality and ethics" pretty much COMES from the Activision side of the company.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I mean...he kinda already DID Snitch. It's not like Sakurai doesn't know about twitter.

Well, it SHOULD. That whole "prioritize our own profits over basic morality and ethics" pretty much COMES from the Activision side of the company.
Can you prove that??
Ugh, if this all affects my number one character's sole shot at getting into the biggest Smash game ever... Well, I'll be seriously bitter lol
Kasumi can have different movement animations from Joker like Dark Samus; her movements would be more graceful to reflect her ballerina background. I think she's more likely because aside from having leftover data in the game, she looks the most like Joker visually. She has the red gloves, the black clothing, the longcoat and the pointy shoes, and the mask. She can also have the same school uniform as an alt costume. Unlike Yosuke and Yu, she wields one melee weapon and one gun like Joker, and the Rebellion gauge wouldn't make much sense for them either. And based off of the animations we've seen of her fighting style, it mirrors Joker's, too. She might not have a grappling hook, but they can feasibly give her a ballerina ribbon instead. And she can be used to promote P5 Scramble for Switch, the same way Atlus is using her to promote P5R.

Visual comparison:

A character that has yet to prove anything of themselves yet she's also takes up a THIRD PARTY slot while there's still no kind of second Sonic character (not that I'd want Shadow)... Hot take, but uh, no thanks.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Hotter take: People need to stop having the "this character takes the slot from this character" mindset. Let them make who they want.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Hotter take: People need to stop having the "this character takes the slot from this character" mindset. Let them make who they want.
I'd let them if said character wasn't literally an untested character from a third party in this hypothetical. It's unprecedented as far as third parties go, and that development time could have gone to another character who actually has proven themselves as... being in a game that has come out already (at least in terms of third parties).
No, but, it should be pretty obvious by looking at Activision's past actions.

The whole "You will do whatever is necessary to appease the Chinese market" policy almost certainly comes from them.
"Activision" as in the subsidiary sister to Blizzard or as in the greater "Activision Blizzard conglomerate"?

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Writing off the Harada tweets as trolling when he's right, smh

Showing support for your character is all well and good, but having your entire presence/account purpose be dedicated to hounding people to do the same (specifically those accounts that tag Sakurai/Nintendo constantly, or post their stuff on every unrelated tweet/video) isn't the way to get taken seriously.

Harada speaking about it to have fun/mess with people aside, video games are serious business depending on who you're asking. "My character getting into this crossover is the only thing that matters" isn't endearing, nor is it gonna garner any admiration/sympathy from anyone when a fiasco like this happens again (see the umpteenth "this has nothing to do with Smash" tweet from Sakurai that will continue to be ignored).

That said, things will continue on as usual/we'll forget about this whole thing in a day or week anyway.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'd let them if said character wasn't literally an untested character from a third party in this hypothetical. It's unprecedented as far as third parties go, and that development time could have gone to another character who actually has proven themselves as... being in a game that has come out already (at least in terms of third parties).
They don't have to test Kasumi. P5 is still popular, and she already has a boatload of fans (and she's already made a guest appearance outside of Persona!), even though the main games featuring her aren't out yet. Not to mention that her debut game, P5R, is basically an upgrade of an already critically acclaimed game lol. Joker's inclusion was well received (personally, I love his fighting style), and giving him an echo to promote a Persona game coming to Switch, or using her to kickoff a hypothetical Echo themed pass makes sense. There are people who are now interested in Persona thanks to Joker's inclusion in Smash, and they want more of it. If the Jane leftover data is Kasumi, development time was already spent on her in some capacity (and being an echo would mean she'd be easier to make, too). They might as well finish what they started, and the end result would be pretty awesome.

Last edited:

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
For some reason, this looks like something people who pester for Geno would say? And I don't even know where Geno falls in the party spectrum.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I only found out that there is a KOS-MOS smash twitter a few days ago and it posts requests for her everyday in a non spamming manner but thankfully didnt tag Harada. Man, his meltdown is crazy but I 100% agree with him on those spammers.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Visual comparison:

It'd be pretty interesting if she was a Joker echo. Maybe having much more range on her normals (since she has a sword), but her attacks are slower as a result, and Cinderella just buffs her rather than giving her buffs and more range like Arsene does. and different gun properties, of course.

I think it could easily work. Don't find it likely, but man, I just want more echoes.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Seeing Harada publicly drag Smash spammers gives me life. I never understood the fan campaigns, and it gets obnoxious when people spam replies to every Nintendo related tweet with “x4smash.” Not only is it annoying, but it’s downright rude.

You’d think the Sakurai tweet from last year would have quelled some of that behavior but some people have wet napkins for brains.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Seeing Harada publicly drag Smash spammers gives me life. I never understood the fan campaigns, and it gets obnoxious when people spam replies to every Nintendo related tweet with “x4smash.” Not only is it annoying, but it’s downright rude.

You’d think the Sakurai tweet from last year would have quelled some of that behavior but some people have wet napkins for brains.
The tweet which had him speak a different language to tell us to shut the **** up right? Amazinf

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
The problem was that someone tagged him in a group collab thing and no one noticed.

Social media is one of the best ways to express fan support/popularity/whatever so I don’t think these accounts are bad as long as they aren’t spamming the devs and unrelated people (and they didn’t mean for them to get spammed).

Of course you could say we could all just be happy go-lucky and just be happy if our favorites get in and simply be disappointed or meh about it if they don’t, which is how I used to feel and would feel after Steve/right now, but you can say the same about speculation. I don’t really take these things that seriously though, but of course the trolls, etc. don’t make it easier :I
wait all of this started because of one person tag him and other companies on a meme chain tweet that others were just doing this for fun.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I wonder if that harada tweet actually disconfirmed the characters for (hypothetically) the 3rd to 5th character spots for fighters pass 2.
I highly doubt that tweet has any baring on those characters' chances. As a lot of people have already said, Harada really likes to ****post, so I doubt he's actually serious about convincing Sakurai not to add those characters, even if he was serious about telling people to stop with the spam. Besides, I'm pretty sure the next DLC lineup has pretty much already been decided at this point and I don't think Sakurai is the kind of guy to stop pursuing a character out of spite.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wonder if that harada tweet actually disconfirmed the characters for (hypothetically) the 3rd to 5th character spots for fighters pass 2.
What about the 1st and 2nd?

also I wouldn’t look too into it. All it boils down to is some idiot tagging Harada in a meme thread he wasn’t originally involved in and thus making the people who were just having harmless fun with the meme look bad

Sysreq

Smash Ace
yes.

One person ruined it for everyone.

And now people are frickin judging all of them ._.
If that one person leads to Harada publicly calling out annoying-ass smash spammers and potentially making them calm their ****, it's fine in my book.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If that one person leads to Harada publicly calling out annoying-*** smash spammers and potentially making them calm their ****, it's fine in my book.
I don’t see how it’s annoying if they’re keeping to themselves and not actually trying to spam anyone. Or even spam in the first place.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I know she has no chance at all to ever show up in smash, but as a huge fan of Supergiant games, I'd love for Red from Transistor to be a Mii Swordfighter costume.

Hopefully it could be bundled with a song such as "We All Become One", Darren Korb and Ashley Barrett make amazing music. I know this doesn't seem remotely likely, but I just have to gush about these games. Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre are all masterpieces to me.
It's not gonna happen but man, I loved Transistor so much. What a game. Superb music, great story, beautiful art, good combat... I would be happy with this song in Smash:

I think the best example of Smash fans being obsessed is that painful period where every time Nintendo made anything that wasn't involved with Smash, people would whine "That's it? No Smash?" It was everywhere in 2017, remember that?
That was so annoying. Hell, that stills happens in some way. I love Smash but it's not my #1 game and it never was, I get that some people barely plays anything beyond Smash and all that, that's cool. But there's some people that only wants Smash news everyday, you can see that in a lot of official posts from Nintendo in Twitter or Instagram or the chats for the directs.
2017 and the first months of 2018 before Ultimate was announced were really annoying at some points with people spamming Smash and acting like every other game was bull****, I mean, I like Smash news but I also want other things and these games also deserve to have his moment to shine.

osby

Smash Obsessed
At this point, I expect another "DLC is already decided, please shut up" tweet from Sakurai.

We knew Nintendo calls the shots but apparently some people didn't get the memo.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
At this point, I expect another "DLC is already decided, please shut up" tweet from Sakurai.

We knew Nintendo calls the shots but apparently some people didn't get the memo.
Sakurai literally be like:
1571421060095.png

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Fans, after getting :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:: We won't ask anything from Sakurai ever again.
Same fans, 0.00000005 seconds later: Who asked for Terry?
Those fans a few years ago: "It's not much to ask for a Nintendo character as DLC right? Please Sakurai? We just want our good old Ninte-WHAT THE **** CORRIN AJSNSNSNSNSMSM GRRRRRRRRR I HATE YOU SAKURAI HOW ****ING DARE YOU"

Wonder what will happen if the anti third party crowds gets Edelgard as the only first party this time around

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Those fans a few years ago: "It's not much to ask for a Nintendo character as DLC right? Please Sakurai? We just want our good old Ninte-WHAT THE **** CORRIN AJSNSNSNSNSMSM GRRRRRRRRR I HATE YOU SAKURAI HOW ****ING DARE YOU"

Wonder what will happen if the anti third party crowds gets Edelgard as the only first party this time around
First party, but only certain first parties.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Keep in mind, too, that "spamming" doesn't just mean tagging people, either. From my experience with Nintendo's Twitter, I always saw two constants: people complaining that Nintendo is marketing games other than their favorite game, and unrelated rallying replies from the BandanaBrigade.

Like seriously it was every time, without fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom