• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Unlike Sans, Geno does emote quite a bit in Super Mario RPG. He laughs, closes his eyes in pain, etc. I think the reasoning behind giving the Skull Kid and Sans costumes full head models was because Skull Kid's expressions are always hidden behind his mask and Sans pretty much never (one sad exception) stops wearing his signature grin. So if we get a Geno costume it may go back to not having a full modeled head and instead have the hat once again.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The whole thing with Geno is really funny to me because, when you think about it, the push for him is really only as big as it is today because of that interview with Sakurai back in 2016, where he stated he actually wanted to include the character.

Prior, Geno hype was pretty much mostly dead or at least subdued in comparison to the good ol' Brawl days. Go look back at his Smash 4 support thread on here, which only has about 96 pages, whereas guys like Ridley and K. Rool had thousands upon thousands of pages in their support thread. Of course now, Geno's Ultimate thread is right on par with those, but obviously that was after the infamous interview. I think that's a bit telling.

I don't know, I don't think Geno's fanbase would be quite as strong post the Brawl era had it not been for the acknowledgement from Sakurai. Probably would be as big as say, Krystal is these days.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The whole thing with Geno is really funny to me because, when you think about it, the push for him is really only as big as it is today because of that interview with Sakurai back in 2016, where he stated he actually wanted to include the character.

Prior, Geno hype was pretty much mostly dead or at least subdued in comparison to the good ol' Brawl days. Go look back at his Smash 4 support thread on here, which only has about 96 pages, whereas guys like Ridley and K. Rool had thousands upon thousands of pages in their support thread. Of course now, Geno's Ultimate thread is right on par with those, but obviously that was after the infamous interview. I think that's a bit telling.

I don't know, I don't think Geno's fanbase would be quite as strong post the Brawl era had it not been for the acknowledgement from Sakurai. Probably would of be as big as say, Krystal is these days.
Geno's fanbase was basic built BY Sakurai because if I'm not mistaken there was another interview around brawl where Sakurai mentioned Geno.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
I think a mii costume is the best fit for Geno, we don’t need another Mario stage if sakurai wants to continue bringing new worlds, and Genos moveset isn’t that unique the mii gunner totally misses the mark or anything.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think a mii costume is the best fit for Geno, we don’t need another Mario stage if sakurai wants to continue bringing new worlds, and Genos moveset isn’t that unique the mii gunner totally misses the mark or anything.
That's crazy talk! We need more Mario content. Don't you think that 9 playable characters, 16 stages and 106 music tracks is way too small for a series as big as Mario? :ultpacman:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My issue with Geno is how he's the least important party member in his own game. Say what you want about Mallow but at least he had a character arc, Geno's closest thing resembling an arc is going to Mario and telling him he needs to keep doing what he's already doing and then he ****s off forever after that. It's why I'm 100% sure that the Forest Maze meme ended up causing a bandwagon in his favour.

Btw in case people see bandwagon and get upset, I don't think bandwagons are inherently good or bad

StormC

Smash Hero
Geno's fanbase was basic built BY Sakurai because if I'm not mistaken there was another interview around brawl where Sakurai mentioned Geno.
No, Sakurai never mentioned Geno until Smash 4.

What really got the Geno fanbase going was him appearing on a Smash 2 poll back before Melee came out.

SKX31

Smash Master
Unlike Sans, Geno does emote quite a bit in Super Mario RPG. He laughs, closes his eyes in pain, etc. I think the reasoning behind giving the Skull Kid and Sans costumes full head models was because Skull Kid's expressions are always hidden behind his mask and Sans pretty much never (one sad exception) stops wearing his signature grin. So if we get a Geno costume it may go back to not having a full modeled head and instead have the hat once again.
The full hat could work if it's given its own animations to go along with it. It's extra work, but it should be its own model (unless I'm getting this completely wrong). I could see it happening if S-E refuses to let Geno be anything more than a Costume. That's a real possibility IMHO - perhaps simply not a priority for S-E compared to characters like 2B.

I'm still rating Geno's DLC chances as decent, not just because of the fanbase but also because of the moveset potential and ties to the Mario franchise. He's stuck in this free for all for S-E's potential 3rd slot though, and he's not the only S-E choice Sakurai's interested in (he's written a column on Nier) - or might be, where Lara, Sora and even the two Deus Ex protags are. "New worlds" and the Spirit situation makes it tricky - I personally refuse to call the Spirit situation one way or another unless we get official word on that.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
My issue with Geno is how he's the least important party member in his own game. Say what you want about Mallow but at least he had a character arc, Geno's closest thing resembling an arc is going to Mario and telling him he needs to keep doing what he's already doing and then he ****s off forever after that. It's why I'm 100% sure that the Forest Maze meme ended up causing a bandwagon in his favour.

Btw in case people see bandwagon and get upset, I don't think bandwagons are inherently good or bad
Funny enough, that's a small part of why I want him to come back, although I'm of the unpopular opinion of him coming back to his home series being better than Smash. They just didn't do enough with him, and I feel he has plenty of potential for more. I've honestly woven a lot of lore and ideas for Geno, and if my creatively bankrupt ass can do it, I'm sure Square and Nintendo can, too.

Alas, I feel the thing with people wanting Geno to return is the difficulty of a third party character in a first party series, so unless SMRPG gets remade or Square and Nintendo put him in another Square-published crossover, his chances are next to nothing to appear again. Square is already on board for Smash, so that's likely why the push for Geno started heavily there (keep in mind that Uematsu was on board for Brawl, after all).

It's kind of a tragic position for a character to be in. In this regard, he's pretty unique, and not in a way that benefits the fans who are crying out for him to appear again.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The Amazon (Pro Wrestling)
Hell yeah!

*checks box*

My issue with Geno is how he's the least important party member in his own game. Say what you want about Mallow but at least he had a character arc, Geno's closest thing resembling an arc is going to Mario and telling him he needs to keep doing what he's already doing and then he ****s off forever after that.
...it's almost as if you haven't played, like, half of that game. As the game's entire central plot revolves around him.

It's why I'm 100% sure that the Forest Maze meme ended up causing a bandwagon in his favour.
Which always bugged me because anyone that plays through the game should know that Forest Maze is not even Geno's theme.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To be fair, the plot cannot happen without Geno. He is physically the reason why Mario would even help Bowser with his castle because of the seven stars.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That gets me though as Mario was already on his way to the castle.
Which doesn't explain why Mario takes a bunch of side trips that don't get him to the castle.

Collecting the Seven Stars and repairing the Star Road is the central quest of the game. That's GENO'S quest. And after the final boss, the ending is Geno returning home, having completed his quest.

In this video - a character that apparently ****ed off forever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That gets me though as Mario was already on his way to the castle.
Yeah, but his mission was to save Peach. Once he did that halfway in the game, which is completely unrelated to Bowser's castle, he would have no reason to go back to the castle and that's a happy ending.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I don't know, I don't think Geno's fanbase would be quite as strong post the Brawl era had it not been for the acknowledgement from Sakurai. Probably would be as big as say, Krystal is these days.
Perceived likelihood plays a huge factor in a character's popularity, Geno was considered impossible for Smash 4, so naturally he wasn't discussed very often. Ridley and K. Rool were both considered extremely likely during the Smash 4 days, in the old Smash 4 Rate Their Chances game we had on here they scored 73% and 74% in chance during their respective peaks, which is a higher chance % than any other newcomers got except Little Mac, Palutena, and the eventually leaked characters. Meanwhile Geno got a 2% in chance, so yeah, he desperately needed some sort of spark, which Sakurai eventually provided. Banjo was the only real exception to the rule, he got 72% in want despite his measly 0.12% chance, not even Cloud could muster up a good want score because of how unlikely he was thought to be.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think the Geno talk is pretty much going in circles, like him, dislike him or not care about him I don't think anyone will change their stance for him at this point.

I explained my stance before, I don't dislike him but compared to other SE content he is kinda underwhelming for me just because at the end of the day it would be more Mario content in a game with abundant Mario content.

I know people are comparing his status with BK right now that got in due to popularity, but people also forget that DQ and FF got in before him which are bigger than SMRPG. Please keep in mind that Sakurai mentioned the popularity of these series and that one of them was a long time request as well, not because a character doesn't get discussed in the fanbase does not mean its not popular and vice versa.
Yeah, but his mission was to save Peach. Once he did that halfway in the game, which is completely unrelated to Bowser's castle, he would have no reason to go back to the castle and that's a happy ending.
Bowser pretty much "recruited" Mario to help with his castle and Mallow was also on his way to search for his family.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
All this talk about Geralt and 2B, Geralt and 2B you know what would be sick?

A soulcalibur 6 port to the switch, with FE3H content. ( I honestly hope that Namco don't drop teh ball with SC6.. really wish they release an expansion with new modes and new story in teh future, instead of a new game where they keep cutting stuff in order to resell it ;c)
What they need to do is add some better female armor

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Bowser pretty much "recruited" Mario to help with his castle and Mallow was also on his way to search for his family.
Mario wouldn't have known he needed the stars, though. He probably would've beaten Smithy, but since he only wanted to save Peach and Bowser only wanted his castle, they may have just stopped at Exor. Mallow may have stayed with his family or just returned to them after helping the others.

Exor does seem to "beam" them into the factory after being defeated, but Bowser just wants to stay behind and rebuild his castle before Geno convinces him to keep going with them, so they may have been able to go back through even without beating Smithy. Mario and co. may have missed some of the stars, too, if they even bothered to collect them without knowing what they were for.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ugh. The Geno support thread is so active. I consider Geno an extremely blessed character, it being a one time character and all. I really wish Sakurai gave mention to one of my wants. :glare:

Without a doubt I believe Geno is happening, the fan base is so rallying, I can't even comprehend it.

D

Deleted member

Ugh. The Geno support thread is so active. I consider Geno an extremely blessed character, it being a one time character and all. I really wish Sakurai gave mention to one of my wants. :glare:

Without a doubt I believe Geno is happening, the fan base is so rallying, I can't even comprehend it.
You really don't see a character like Geno in Smash speculation other than like Banjo, and Banjo's way bigger than Geno. It's a cool movement.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

Wondering if Terry is going to have any abilities/supers he cant use in the air.

What if the input for power wave does something else while Terry is airborne? Terry has a lot of moves, so maybe some of them can be incorporated like that.

Heoj

Smash Ace

A little bit ago the geno support thread made a sort of book containing letters and fanart of geno and sent it to Nintendo of America, Im not too sure on the specifics though it was super cool. I even made my own little drawing that got accepted into it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wondering if Terry is going to have any abilities/supers he cant use in the air.

What if the input for power wave does something else while Terry is airborne? Terry has a lot of moves, so maybe some of them can be incorporated like that.
Like Bayo's side special? It can be fun.

Ground-only specials exist, but not sure if Terry will have one. All three seems to be related to burying/pulling things into/from ground.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

That would be really neat. Honestly, I think the move set potential out of Terry is ridiculously huge. I'm BEYOND excited to see what they do with him. He's gonna be a day one purchase for me.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
whats this about geno now
Here's my summary. Geno is more of a yes people have heard about him and no they are not sure if he's actually in.

It's just IamShifty and Brew who are friends that have the same sources saying Ryu Hayabusa is definitely in, both of them saying that the 4Chan post is fake and made by an imposter (as they usually are). Then there is Brew hearing Geno from his sources but right now he is unsure of it since he was joked about. Then there is Sakurai writing in Kanji in a Twitter post that are making people think that it might be a hint towards Ryu Hayabusa, thus supporting IamShifty and Brew's claims.

D

Deleted member

*whistling while everyone is talking about Geno, while watching news about Blizzard vs Hong Kong*

Yeah, keep doing what you're doing guys. Just...don't jump to conclusions wherein you know I'll vent.

D

Deleted member

Then there is Sakurai writing in Kanji in a Twitter post that are making people think that it might be a hint towards Ryu Hayabusa, thus supporting IamShifty and Brew's claims.
Wait hold on. Did I miss something or is this just crazy fan speculation?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Here's my summary. Geno is more of a yes people have heard about him and no they are not sure if he's actually in.
ah, the fabled sakurai twitter hint

as if the golden sun reference that had people screaming "isaac! grinch confirmed!" wasn't enough to make people use their brains

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i mean if they can translate the kanji for ninja why not talk about the whole damn tweet? or is just "ninja" enough to have people drooling like dogs? :nifty:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Look, whatever's happening over in the real world blows, but this really isn't the place for discussing politics. People come here to prattle on about new characters to add to a video game they have an unhealthy attachment to while telling other people why their most-wanted choice is bad and wrong, not discussing human rights and the myriad tragedies happening across the world right now.
Unless said discussion is about how badly this affects the chances of a Blizzard character getting in Smash someday.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I hope for the SNK stage, they don’t just have KOF characters appear, but instead Samurai Showdown, Bubble Bobble, Metal Slug, and all types of SNK characters appear too, since we probably aren’t getting another Snk character.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

as if the golden sun reference that had people screaming "isaac! grinch confirmed!" wasn't enough to make people use their brains
I mean, Ryu Hayabusa has been a name that's been batted around by 'insiders' for a while before that tweet, so take that as you will. Also feeling like Ryu is a likely case to end the FP with because it all just feels right.

The tweet 'hint' is a pretty silly reach, tho.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So basically, Sakurai tweated something vague and people took it as Hayabusa confirmed? Yeah. Sounds like bull****. That being said, I don't really think it adds anything Hayabusa doesn't already have.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
I hope for the SNK stage, they don’t just have KOF characters appear, but instead Samurai Showdown, Bubble Bobble, Metal Slug, and all types of SNK characters appear too, since we probably aren’t getting another Snk character.
Why Bubble Bobble?
Bubble Bobble is a Taito ip, who has currently owned by Square Enix

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I know of one reason why. But is there more? I'd like a breif summary of all the evidence pointing to this so I can make an assessment. This stuff is really interesting to me. It's like being a detective lol
Here's some notable stuff I've noticed or heard that are in his favor.
-Fatal Frame, which is represented via the Yuri AT, is partially owned by Koei. This is odd, as all the other third party ATs are either from already represented series (Alucard or Shadow, for instance), from companies already involved (Konami's Bomberman, Sega's Akira, and Capcom's Rathalos) or from indie companies (Shovel Knight, and also Sans and Shantae as non-ATs). The only comparable thing I can think of are the #TMS spirits, who I imagine are partially owned by...:ultjoker:'s Atlus.

-Koei and Nintendo have been buddies recently. Pokemon Conquest, Fire Emblem and Hyrule Warriors, and Fire Emblem Three Houses either use their IPs, were partially developed by them, or even both.

-The DLC fighters appear to be releasing in Reverse-Chronological order to their debut.
:ultjoker: - 2016
:ulthero:- When averaged, their debut year is 1999.
:ultbanjokazooie:-1997 (Diddy Kong Racing) / 1998 (Banjo-Kazooie)
:seuss::ultken: (/s)- 1991

If this holds weight, this means the next character will have debuted on or around the time of the NES. And Ninja Gaiden just so happens to be a classic NES series.

-Apparently, in the German version of Ultimate, there was only one Smash 4 veteran with a new Announcer voice-line. And that happens to be :ultryu:.
I don't think that all of those claims matter, but the fact that there are so many things that could be hinting at him intrigue me.

D

Deleted member

-The DLC fighters appear to be releasing in Reverse-Chronological order to their debut.
:ultjoker: - 2016
:ulthero:- When averaged, their debut year is 1999.
:ultbanjokazooie:-1997 (Diddy Kong Racing) / 1998 (Banjo-Kazooie)
:seuss::ultken: (/s)- 1991
...okay what theory are we gonna call this?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
It's this tweet right here I believe. A Ayumi Tachibana (Hope I did that right, the name didn't show up below) was the one to point this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom