• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
LCD Games aren't necessarily 'video games' though..so there's still a question on what Sakurai would consider them.
As for Game & Watch, we don't know if Sakurai considers those to be video games either, however, they are a different case. Game & Watch (and ROB) are Nintendo creations, so they don't have the 'rules' he placed for 3rd Party characters, which the 'must be from a video game' rule is in regards to.
V-Pets still enter in the videogame's definition
20191017_023410.jpg

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I agree. I'm all for representing video game history, but there's something to be said for modern day standouts. Characters like Joker, Geralt, and 2B have really made a name for themselves. Not everyone who plays Smash is pushing 30 and had a SNES or N64 growing up.
Agreed..beyond that, there are plenty of old characters we got as DLC.
I'd prefer newer characters to older character, for the most part, despite being a 31 year old woman that still loves playing Super Nintendo..I mean, just look at my wishlist in my signature..the oldest character in it is Sora (closely followed by MMZ Zero...like seriously, Mega Man Zero released 1 month after Kingdom Hearts)..if we include my Echo Wishlist, then it'd be Metal Sonic, followed by Dixie Kong (technically Medusa..but since I primarily want her for her appearance in Kid Icarus Uprising, I won't count her). All of the other characters I want are from this generation, except for Hilda, who is from last gen.
V-Pets still enter in the videogame's definition
View attachment 242396
Yeah, but since its a subjective thing, it would be up to what Sakurai considers it. I mean, you don't see Virtual Pets/LCD Games in the Video Game aisle in stores, you see them in the toys section.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
No, there doesn't, but I'd honestly say they'd likely make more money from a different, more popular character like 2B or even another Final Fantasy character. Heck, I bet even Zack Fair as an echo of Cloud would make more money than Geno.
I mean, Geno may be popular amongst Smash Bros. fans, but that doesn't mean he'd sell more than a more well known to the masses character.
I love Geno and especially Super Mario RPG, my fav Super Nintendo game and amongst my favorite games ever, but is Geno really that interesting a character?
For the Smash fanbase, he will definitely sell well since he's been requested for as long as Banjo & Kazooie and there are a lot of fans from what I can see. There are quite a lot of detractors but some of them might even buy him just to use him as a punching bag.

As for everyone else? Well he's a possessed puppet with a blue cape and has a gun for a hand. I'd say that's a pretty interesting character. I can imagine people looking at him saying "Who is this guy?" they see the slick blue cape and then if the cannon part of his hand is shown like Megaman they'll be like "Oh cool, he has a gun for an arm, maybe I'll buy him". It really depends on how well Nintendo sells people on him because they can also do a bad job at it.

There really is no downside to having Geno as a playable character. Sure they could use other popular Square Enix characters but then again you have Sakurai who doesn't add characters just for them to sell well, he puts characters into the game because he wants that character and from what he's talked about Geno, seems like the perfect candidate for additional DLC since Sakurai says he wants to "Please the fans".

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
https://youtu.be/ixh3DsGvoh0
After seeing this, I'm leaning towards Ryu Hayabusa being in. If for no other reason than the fact that this supposed leaker wants to be left alone whereas most fake leakers want more attention. Remember that one 4cham leak that revived after the Grinch Leak used the same characters? The fake leaker doubled down on it for more attention.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
pick 5 dlc characters of franchises who don't have playable characters but not a main protagonist
1. SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
2. Frog [Chrono Trigger]
3. Goro Majima [Yakuza]
4. Vergil [Devil May Cry]
5. Abobo [Double Dragon]

If Geralt is eligible despite originating from a book series then you really can't argue against Goku.
Which is why Geralt isn't eligible.

Geralt depends on how his depiction in the game differs from the books imo. If the CDProjekt take is unique enough, I would imagine it would apply the same rule as Dracula which is a unique take on a historical character.
It's honestly not THAT different. The author is just kinda a butthole about anything at all being different.

Kinda why the Netflix series, which is supposedly based on the books instead of the games, still looks exactly like the games.

Dracula is also, ya know...been in the public domain for decades.

This is like if they made a Harry Potter game that was different from the books and people going "Well, video game Harry Potter isn't a book character!"

Like, does this mean Luke Skywalker is okay as long as it's the one from the Famicom game that's nothing like the movie?

I know you guys want Geralt, so you want to make up a bunch of excuses why he's not a book character, but he just is.

I think I asked this before, but if the very last character was a fourth party, but this was the last smash game, and their appearance and moveset was entirely based on the video games their in( like for example, Spiderman with his PS4 appearance and a PS4 and MVC moveset) would you be ok with it?
No. I wouldn't want their final character to betray the theme of the entire franchise.

God, maybe it's just because I'm almost caught up with the manga but I'd pop off SO hard for Luffy and a Jump vs. Smash game. Yes please. And Nintendo vs. Capcom as an actual Versus Series game is like, my dream game.
Well, there's always Super Smash Flash 2.

The only surprise fourth party characters I would be okay with are
I wouldn't be okay with any. But gun to my head, if I had to pick some I'd pick:
Scrooge McDuck
Batman
Ninja Turtles
Little Nemo

Because reasons.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

https://youtu.be/ixh3DsGvoh0
After seeing this, I'm leaning towards Ryu Hayabusa being in. If for no other reason than the fact that this supposed leaker wants to be left alone whereas most fake leakers want more attention. Remember that one 4cham leak that revived after the Grinch Leak used the same characters? The fake leaker doubled down on it for more attention.
Yo, I'm still skeptical, but it's not worthy of being ignored. I've written it down on my notebook, and we'll just have to see what the future has in store.

there you go guys, a post that isn't about me moping about

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Anyway, fun time with another game by Gwen. You get to add any newcomer from any new potential franchise for a total of 5 characters, but there's a catch! They can NOT be the main character at all. If, for example, you wanted a Soul Calibir character, you'd have to ditch Nightmare and chose say, Amy instead.
KOF - Kusanagi
Ace Attorney - Edgeworth
Tales of - Estelle
Devil May Cry - Lady
Sakura Wars - Gemini Sunrise (I'm pretending 0 and V doesn't exist, shhhhhh)

Shulk vs. Tanjiro, Meta Knight vs. Asta, Marth vs. Ichigo, Shiek vs. Naruto, Mario vs. Goku, Joker vs. Jotaro, Yugi vs. Pokémon Trainer, Frieza vs. Mewtwo, Gon vs. Ness, Kenshiro vs. Captain Falcon, Deku vs. Pit, Corrin vs. Luffy...

KIRBY vs. SOMA

I want this so bad.
I need Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo vs Bayonetta to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Anyway, fun time with another game by Gwen. You get to add any newcomer from any new potential franchise for a total of 5 characters, but there's a catch! They can NOT be the main character at all. If, for example, you wanted a Soul Calibir character, you'd have to ditch Nightmare and chose say, Amy instead.
The Last Story - Mirania or Dagran
Golden Sun - Jenna
Okami - Susano
Ace Attorney - The Steel Samurai
Bravely Default - Edea Lee

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It's honestly not THAT different. The author is just kinda a butthole about anything at all being different.

Kinda why the Netflix series, which is supposedly based on the books instead of the games, still looks exactly like the games.

Dracula is also, ya know...been in the public domain for decades.

This is like if they made a Harry Potter game that was different from the books and people going "Well, video game Harry Potter isn't a book character!"

Like, does this mean Luke Skywalker is okay as long as it's the one from the Famicom game that's nothing like the movie?

I know you guys want Geralt, so you want to make up a bunch of excuses why he's not a book character, but he just is.
It should be noted that game Geralt is way more popular than his book version. So much so that the games are a primary reason why the Witcher books sold very well. Geralt's situation is different from Goku or Luke since these two characters in games are usually just direct adaptations of their source material and are not meant to be unique takes on the characters and series. The author has made it clear that the games and books are two separate things.

The Witcher games have eclipsed their source material in popularity and are more well known. When people think of Dragon Ball they'll think of the manga and anime, when people think of Star Wars they'll think of the movies, when people think of The Witcher they'll think about the games. It's because of this that I don't compare Geralt to Goku or any other non-video game character, since his situation is much more unique. Witcher has done more for gaming than it did for literature, and it's because of this that I can imagine Geralt being the exception to this rule.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
It should be noted that game Geralt is way more popular than his book version. So much so that the games are a primary reason why the Witcher books sold very well. Geralt's situation is different from Goku or Luke since these two characters in games are usually just direct adaptations of their source material and are not meant to be unique takes on the characters and series. The author has made it clear that the games and books are two separate things.

The Witcher games have eclipsed their source material in popularity and are more well known. When people think of Dragon Ball they'll think of the manga and anime, when people think of Star Wars they'll think of the movies, when people think of The Witcher they'll think about the games. It's because of this that I don't compare Geralt to Goku or any other non-video game character, since his situation is much more unique. Witcher has done more for gaming than it did for literature, and it's because of this that I can imagine Geralt being the exception to this rule.
Yeeah, not gonna lie, I also only just recently found out that the Witcher is based on a book series. I had heard of the books before, but I thought they were an adaptation of the games, not the other way round.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
KOF - Kusanagi
Ace Attorney - Edgeworth
Tales of - Estelle
Devil May Cry - Lady
Kyo Kusanagi is the main protagonist of King of Fighters though.

Never mind, I'm an idiot. You said Kusanagi.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I had thought of another one after British Duck Hunt (:ultbanjokazooie:), Trucker Ken (Terry Bogard) and Sword Sheik (Ryu Hayabusa).

Elderly Ryu (Heihachi).

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm a fan of The Witcher, I've read the books and I loved The Witcher 3. But even if Geralt's situation is different from characters like Goku, I don't think he should be in Smash. He's still a character from the books.

D

Deleted member

Regarding old vs new characters, I would say its most likely to end up as a non issue as we will get to see more modern characters as DLC. While there are still a lot of old characters that could be added, the ones that are left end up being smaller and smaller each time and given the rise of prominence of many new franchises after the new millennium I can see at least the next batch of DLC to start having newer characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
KOF - Kusanagi
Ace Attorney - Edgeworth
Tales of - Estelle
Devil May Cry - Lady

I need Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo vs Bayonetta to happen.
>Estellise

I see you are a man of culture as well

Bravely Default - Edea Lee
Gentlepanda Gentlepanda is typing...

Regarding old vs new characters, I would say its most likely to end up as a non issue as we will get to see more modern characters as DLC. While there are still a lot of old characters that could be added, the ones that are left end up being smaller and smaller each time and given the rise of prominence of many new franchises after the new millennium I can see at least the next batch of DLC to start having newer characters.
I can see that happening too.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
I feel that's more likely to happen tbh.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
For the Smash fanbase, he will definitely sell well since he's been requested for as long as Banjo & Kazooie and there are a lot of fans from what I can see. There are quite a lot of detractors but some of them might even buy him just to use him as a punching bag.

As for everyone else? Well he's a possessed puppet with a blue cape and has a gun for a hand. I'd say that's a pretty interesting character. I can imagine people looking at him saying "Who is this guy?" they see the slick blue cape and then if the cannon part of his hand is shown like Megaman they'll be like "Oh cool, he has a gun for an arm, maybe I'll buy him". It really depends on how well Nintendo sells people on him because they can also do a bad job at it.

There really is no downside to having Geno as a playable character. Sure they could use other popular Square Enix characters but then again you have Sakurai who doesn't add characters just for them to sell well, he puts characters into the game because he wants that character and from what he's talked about Geno, seems like the perfect candidate for additional DLC since Sakurai says he wants to "Please the fans".
Pretty much this. Opinions are one thing and I totally get that Square fans will find more appeal in other reps besides Geno. Sales and mass popularity are clearly not the only driving force in DLC, though. Look at B-K. They beat the odds by getting in over Master Chief, Xbox's old mascot, and a freaking Minecraft rep, the game that outsold Tetris. Would Chief or Steve have been more profitable? Absolutely, but... we got B-K instead.

Not wanting Geno is one thing, but saying that his chances are zero is an inherent falsehood. I'm more convinced that people want to downplay him because of bias. He does have big competition to wade through, don't get me wrong, but B-K is enough of a sign to show that being 'big' and 'profitable' isn't all that it takes to get into Smash. Fan demand has its impact, whether you like it or not.

Besides, the DLC is the wild west right now. We could get Geno (a more fan-demanded SE pick) and 2B (a more popular, mainstream SE pick) before Ultimate wraps up, for all we know.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Geno is pretty bad pick since not many people outside of the community know of him. If people saw other characters like MC, Dante or even Ryu it would generate more interest for people outside of Smash, but Geno? Barely. The fact that people want a character with no other appearances other than a 20+year game with no sequel is pretty pathetic. Many people **** on Terry and Hero, but you know what? Those characters still keep popping up in games and have a legacy. Honestly this community is really disappointing, maybe I should lower my expectations for it..

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Geno is pretty bad pick since not many people outside of the community know of him. If people saw other characters like MC, Dante or even Ryu it would generate more interest for people outside of Smash, but Geno? Barely. The fact that people want a character with no other appearances other than a 20+year game with no sequel is pretty pathetic. Many people **** on Terry and Hero, but you know what? Those characters still keep popping up in games and have a legacy. Honestly this community is really disappointing, maybe I should lower my expectations for it..
An opinion is one thing, but throwing ad hominem at people for wanting a video game character you don't like is pretty silly. This doesn't just go for Geno's fans, but anyone's. C'mon. People flinging personal insults at each other is the real disappointment the community faces over opinions about video game characters getting into a party fighting game.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It should be noted that game Geralt is way more popular than his book version. So much so that the games are a primary reason why the Witcher books sold very well. Geralt's situation is different from Goku or Luke since these two characters in games are usually just direct adaptations of their source material and are not meant to be unique takes on the characters and series.
There are also Star Wars and Dragon Ball video games that are WAY less like the movies and the manga than the Witcher games are from the books. There are countless book/tv/movie character's who have video game interpretations that are completely different from their source material. None of those would be counted as "video game" characters just because you'd base the Smash character on the game interpretation.

The author has made it clear that the games and books are two separate things.
Like I said, the author is a salty crank who's mad he sold the game rights for so little money.

Like, Alan Moore has famously divorced himself from movies based on his comic books. But those movies are still based on those books. Dr. Manhattan is still a comic book character, not a movie character.

The Witcher games have eclipsed their source material in popularity and are more well known.
COMPLETELY irrelevant. No matter how much you might wish otherwise.

Witcher has done more for gaming than it did for literature, and it's because of this that I can imagine Geralt being the exception to this rule.
Well, as long as you're acknowledging that it WOULD be an exception to the rule, and not trying to argue that he wouldn't be breaking the rule.

"I don't care that he's not a video game character, I still want him in." = I don't agree, but fine.

"He should actually count as a video game character." = Complete nonsense.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
All this talk about Geralt and 2B, Geralt and 2B you know what would be sick?

A soulcalibur 6 port to the switch, with FE3H content. ( I honestly hope that Namco don't drop teh ball with SC6.. really wish they release an expansion with new modes and new story in teh future, instead of a new game where they keep cutting stuff in order to resell it ;c)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
A soulcalibur 6 port to the switch, with FE3H content.
Yeah, I could see that. It's not much different than Link was.

That said, I personally don't care for guest characters in my non-crossover fighting games. At least, not while the game roster is still missing characters from the franchise.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
We might be getting Ryu Hayabusa as Fighter #5 and Geno is a possibility for the additional DLC. here's my summary a few comments up.
Thanks for the summary.

It would not surprise me if Tecmo Koei does get a playable representation for Smash and Ryu Hayabusa is the moste likely candidate to rep the Tecmo Koei franchise. I also predict that if Geno were to come in for Smash, he'll most likely end up being in the next batch of the DLC.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if Sans was a testing ground for selling music with a fighter. Given that Undertale's creator, publisher and composer is the same guy who currently lives in Japan, there'd be less legalities involved and now Nintendo's proved the model works, other Mii costumes could come with music tracks attached.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I wonder if Sans was a testing ground for selling music with a fighter. Given that Undertale's creator, publisher and composer is the same guy who currently lives in Japan, there'd be less legalities involved and now Nintendo's proved the model works, other Mii costumes could come with music tracks attached.
I'd be plenty pleased with Geno getting in as a costume again with music... if the costume is upgraded to actually look like him proper.

Nightmares of that awful Mii face... shuddering...

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
That guy who helps you break out of being executed at the start of the game (Skyrim)
The Amazon (Pro Wrestling)
Imp (DOOM)
Ghost (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2)
Azazel (The Binding of Isaac)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Considering Sans was all people were talking about when he was announced they do indeed know yeah. Still wild that Sans overshadowed EVERYTHING

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd be plenty pleased with Geno getting in as a costume again with music... if the costume is upgraded to actually look like him proper.

Nightmares of that awful Mii face... shuddering...
Maybe they'll do Geno's head for the costume and have his hat as a separate item.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I'd be a little sore if Geno got in as a Mii Costume. Not a fan of their playstyles, nor their appearance on the CSS. They disrupt what's a lengthy cast of memorable characters, for me.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Then we can see how he keeps all those items stuffed under his cap.
He probably has like, a wormhole in his hat or something, kinda like how Rosalina has a galaxy under her dress.

But yeah, I'd be very happy with the costume if it got that kind of buff. I'd be disappointed with a straight port of it from Sm4sh, because the Mii face honestly ruins what could have been such an amazing costume.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
baitNOPE.png

If you're going to try to bait users, at least put in some effort. As one of Geno's larger detractors, I have to say this is a rather sorry attempt.

Please learn how to respect other people and try again.

Whatever you say, Mr. Throwaway101319.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
View attachment 242438

If you're going to try to bait users, at least put in some effort. As one of Geno's larger detractors, I have to say this is a rather sorry attempt.

Please learn how to respect other people and try again.
It's kinda funny how you are a Geno detractor, yet from your handling of unbiased stances and respect of Geno's fans as an entity, it really doesn't feel like it. I don't mean that in a bad way, by any means, but as a compliment. It just shows how understanding and human decency can go a long way, something this fan base sorely lacks at times. I wish more of Geno's detractors were like you.

The moral of the story: It's fine to have differing opinions on a character without making things personal or aggressive. That's just getting ridiculous. That applies to Geno's detractors AND his fans, as it is one hell of a two-way street. (Trust me, I often lose count of how many times I've seen a Geno fan (or trolling 'fan') acting disrespectfully. Like, damn, no wonder people spit venom at us.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom