• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
We've had at least 10 chuds do this because they hate women this week so thinking you'd be seen as different is your problem. Btw get a better goddamn hat on that avi like the part 4 hat
- "its your problem that im mad at you because of what others said to me". Ok?

- Part 4 hat is dope

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Anyway, fun time with another game by Gwen. You get to add any newcomer from any new potential franchise for a total of 5 characters, but there's a catch! They can NOT be the main character at all. If, for example, you wanted a Soul Calibir character, you'd have to ditch Nightmare and chose say, Amy instead.
Ha, jokes on you Gwen, I only like side characters anyway!

I'll pick from games I'm currently playing:

Ninty five:
Mario: Toad. Naturally.
Zelda: Impa, Tingle, Vaati, they all good take your pick.
Astral Chain: Lappy
Fire Emblem: Ferdinand Von Aiger! Or more likely Claude or Hilda.
Kirby: Bandana Wadd- Gooey actually. Really warming up to the Gooey boy recently.

Third party 5:
Team Fortress 2: Pyro
Resident Evil: Wesker(I consider Chris the main character, but as many consider Leon or Jill it)
Spyro: Hunter
Sonic: Tails
Untitled Goose Game: The farmer

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ha, jokes on you Gwen, I only like side characters anyway!

I'll pick from games I'm currently playing:

Ninty five:
Mario: Toad. Naturally.
Zelda: Impa, Tingle, Vaati, they all good take your pick.
Astral Chain: Lappy
Fire Emblem: Ferdinand Von Aiger! Or more likely Claude or Hilda.
Kirby: Bandana Wadd- Gooey actually. Really warming up to the Gooey boy recently.

Third party 5:
Team Fortress 2: Pyro
Resident Evil: Wesker(I consider Chris the main character, but as many consider Leon or Jill it)
Spyro: Hunter
Sonic: Tails
Untitled Goose Game: The farmer
I said new franchise, so half of these are disqualified

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Anyway, fun time with another game by Gwen. You get to add any newcomer from any new potential franchise for a total of 5 characters, but there's a catch! They can NOT be the main character at all. If, for example, you wanted a Soul Calibir character, you'd have to ditch Nightmare and chose say, Amy instead.
It'll be tough to find five new franchises that I feel can be repped by someone other than the protagonist, but here goes.

1. Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) - the main character is Liu Kang
2. Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
3. Dr. Kawashima (Brain Age)
4. Captain Price (Call of Duty)
5. Vaas (Far Cry)

As you can see I quickly ran out of ideas and made a terrible roster.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
This one is tough because I only know protagonists but that only means I have to get creative.

1. Robo (Chrono Trigger)
2. Trucy Wright (Phoenix Wright) - Have to get creative with the moveset but it would be cool to see her do some magic tricks
3. Max Thunder (Streets of Rage 2)
4. Artea (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals)
And because I'm such a TimeSplitters fanboy, I gotta add this last one to the list
The Gingerbread man
Ginger.png

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
That's not very Dandy of you.

Anyway to move past this conversation, again, pick 5 dlc characters of franchises who don't have playable characters but not a main protagonist
Hmm...
Monokuma, Heihachi, Nightmare (Soul Calibur), Hornet (Hollow Knight)... Freddy Fazbear.
This prompt was harder than I imagined.

D

Deleted member

Alright:
Jack-o from Guilty Gear
Iori yagami from KoF(does this count)
Vergil from DMC

Uh I'm out of ideas

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hey no one be dissing my gal Kazooie okay

Also a lot of people call the duo B-K when they refer to them, which I feel is more apt because they're both on equal ground (both protagonists of their franchise, not one over the other). A lot of people refer to Banjo singularly, true, but it's likely for ease of saying it. I'd more recommend B-K because my semantic Rareware-loving ass is over here like, "Kazooie exists, too!" The character is not called 'Banjo' in this game or any of their games. They are Banjo & Kazooie. Equal ground. Kazooie counts as female representation.

Also, by the logic of saying, "Kazooie doesn't count because people only talk about Banjo and not her, invalidating her," you're kinda... also invalidating Kazooie, too, by saying this discounts her? Don't just follow the horde. Count her in. Show that she can be a representative of female inclusion in the series (because she is and she is an entire half of the whole character). What is she, chopped liver?

I also just... As a woman myself, a cis woman at that, I don't get why people are splitting hairs so much over female representation in Smash. Sure, I'd love to see more of it, but I'm not going to be heartbroken and upset about it and cry about diversity. I sincerely doubt Nintendo is looking at potential newcomers for their sex or gender here. That's awfully shallow, innit? Whoever we get, we get them because of potential and legacy, not because of their pronouns or what they have between their legs. Would no female characters be pretty lame? Eh, yeah, it kinda would be, but... seriously?

Gotta be honest here: when it comes to representation and diversity in terms of this stuff in Smash, people gotta chillax.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I can actually see Geralt being the first post pass fighter to be revealed at the VGAs. Witcher is a big franchise that has ties with the game awards, it won the 2015 GOTY after all. It's also a Joker type reveal that will shock everyone and get people interested in the next DLC pass. With Geralt crossing over tons of different games it's obvious that CD Projekt Red are not strict with Geralt and they're willing to lend him out for different crossovers. Witcher 3 is on the Switch as well so there is a Nintendo connection. The more I think about it the more I start to realize Geralt actually has a decent chance for joining Smash.

D

Deleted member

Anyway to move past this conversation, again, pick 5 dlc characters of franchises who don't have playable characters but not a main protagonist
TONIGHT
GEHRMAN JOINS THE HUNT
I can't think of any others

Last edited by a moderator:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I can actually see Geralt being the first post pass fighter to be revealed at the VGAs. Witcher is a big franchise that has ties with the game awards, it won the 2015 GOTY after all. It's also a Joker type reveal that will shock everyone and get people interested in the next DLC pass. With Geralt crossing over tons of different games it's obvious that CD Projekt Red are not strict with Geralt and they're willing to lend him out for different crossovers. Witcher 3 is on the Switch as well so there is a Nintendo connection. The more I think about it the more I start to realize Geralt actually has a decent chance for joining Smash.
Geralt is one of those rare picks where literally the only thing potentially against him is whether or not his developer (in this case CDPR) is willing to play ball.

Weirdly enough, I don't think Geralt would have the same wall of "not from a videogame" as much as other examples because of how the games differ from source material. That's just my opinion tho.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Geralt is one of those picks where literally the only thing potentially against him is whether or not his developer (in this case CDPR) is willing to play ball.

Weirdly enough, I don't think Geralt would have the same wall of "not from a videogame" as much as other examples because of how the games differ from source material. That's just my opinion tho.
I agree with the argument that the games are way too different from the source material. As for CDPR I don't see them being an obstacle. If they gave their character to Bandai Namco for Soul Calibur 6 and Capcom for Monster Hunter World then I don't think they'll be tough to deal with when it comes to Smash.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Hey no one be dissing my gal Kazooie okay

Also a lot of people call the duo B-K when they refer to them, which I feel is more apt because they're both on equal ground (both protagonists of their franchise, not one over the other). A lot of people refer to Banjo singularly, true, but it's likely for ease of saying it. I'd more recommend B-K because my semantic Rareware-loving *** is over here like, "Kazooie exists, too!" The character is not called 'Banjo' in this game or any of their games. They are Banjo & Kazooie. Equal ground. Kazooie counts as female representation.

Also, by the logic of saying, "Kazooie doesn't count because people only talk about Banjo and not her, invalidating her," you're kinda... also invalidating Kazooie, too, by saying this discounts her? Don't just follow the horde. Count her in. Show that she can be a representative of female inclusion in the series (because she is and she is an entire half of the whole character). What is she, chopped liver?

I also just... As a woman myself, a cis woman at that, I don't get why people are splitting hairs so much over female representation in Smash. Sure, I'd love to see more of it, but I'm not going to be heartbroken and upset about it and cry about diversity. I sincerely doubt Nintendo is looking at potential newcomers for their sex or gender here. That's awfully shallow, innit? Whoever we get, we get them because of potential and legacy, not because of their pronouns or what they have between their legs. Would no female characters be pretty lame? Eh, yeah, it kinda would be, but... seriously?

Gotta be honest here: when it comes to representation and diversity in terms of this stuff in Smash, people gotta chillax.
I think the issue with Kazooie is that people equate half of a playable fighter to a full fighter as a way to shut down people calling for more females in the roster. There's the issue of it obviously not being a truly equivalent state (Kazooie is so heavily associated with just Banjo that people do often forget to mention her and that does say something about the people behind those comments, mostly just that they're too lazy to type & Kazooie). And more specifically it's a tool used to shut down discussions about including more female characters, and it comes off as a pathetic attempt to steer the conversation away from a greater topic at hand that's trying to address something that can be deeply personal to some people. How you refer to stuff and how you use language matters, and I'm getting real tired of people writing this off so often (not directed at you, but just in general people not owning their language and its effects). People have to own up to their own personal responsibility of just saying stuff like "Banjo" even if it's easy. Easy doesn't mean correct and it doesn't mean not problematic. The easiest route in language can often be a very poor choice in communicating to others and often leaves room for either misinterpretation or downright unintended communication.

And I mean, while I don't agree with some of the doom and gloom people push about the lack of female representation so far in Smash, it's still an inadvertent statement when the only female character in DLC thus far is literally attached to a male character...

I feel like a lot of notions regarding people wanting characters in Smash is just shallow and there's nothing wrong with it. Nintendo wants characters that make economic sense and thus ultimately money, people like characters because they look cool, people want characters because they liked a game once 20 years ago, etc. I don't want us to consider the notion of "I want characters because they are female" as a shallow stance. It's absolutely no different than saying; I want more villains; or I want more Nintendo fighters; or I want more Donkey Kong characters; etc.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Honestly, while we may not have special character entry and victory animations, Smash does them justice in... literally every other area. Besides, considering the care that goes for each franchise in the movesets, stages, items and Spirit battles and how much work all of these take, not having some character specific interactions in exchange for all of that is a pretty sweet deal imo.

Ah, here's something I've been meaning to ask: what other japanese developers could get a playable character besides Koei Tecmo?

The ones that come to my mind are Level-5, Arc System Works, maybe NIS (big maybe). Who else is there?
Arc Systems,NIS,Level 5,Falcom,Marvelous

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Oooh, yeah, forgot Falcom and Marvelous.

What about Cygames? I mean, they have a connection to Nintendo now...
There also a option but those are somemore Japanese companies that sakurai could work with since I don't see him working with slot of western ones and if he did only a few at that

cj.

Smash Journeyman
Scorpion - Mortal Kombat
Nakoruru - Samurai Shodown
Fulgore - Killer Instinct
Jaina Proudmoore - World of Warcraft
Bella Goth - The Sims

That was hard hahaha

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
If Geralt is eligible despite originating from a book series then you really can't argue against Goku.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the argument that the games are way too different from the source material. As for CDPR I don't see them being an obstacle. If they gave their character to Bandai Namco for Soul Calibur 6 and Capcom for Monster Hunter World then I don't think they'll be tough to deal with when it comes to Smash.
Honestly outside of a Dynasty Warriors character, Geralt would be the most likely non video game character that has a chance to be in smash.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
If Geralt is eligible despite originating from a book series then you really can't argue against Goku.
If this means that the inidisputable best character of all time, Arabian Night's Knuckles, is deconfirmed then wtf do i have to live for now?

KatKit

Smash Lord
Seong Mi-na or Cassandra Alexandra (Soul Calibur)
Ada Wong (Resident Evil)
Shinobu Jacobs (No More Heroes)
Asagi (Disgaea) is a perfect inside joke that meets this criteria
Beyonce Knowles (Style Savvy)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Geralt depends on how his depiction in the game differs from the books imo. If the CDProjekt take is unique enough, I would imagine it would apply the same rule as Dracula which is a unique take on a historical character.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Geralt depends on how his depiction in the game differs from the books imo. If the CDProjekt take is unique enough, I would imagine it would apply the same rule as Dracula which is a unique take on a historical character.
Dracula is a movie character he cant be in the game

D

Deleted member

Lets see
A2 from Nier Automata
Nemesis from RE
Taki or Seong Mina for Soul Calibur
Nameless from Fate
Nero from DMC

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I mean, Dracula and Alucard aren’t playable. So that’s probably the loophole.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Morning people. I've read some of the comments thinking I need a therapist or a psychologist or something. Just to let you all know, I've had a problem with making big deals out of little things ever since I was born. It's been with me ever since.
Just because it's been a thing you've lived with since you were born doesn't mean it's not a problem. Escalating and lashing out if even a minor thing doesn't go your way isn't an appropriate way to have a conversation, both in here and in real life. You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Furthermore, most of the comments telling you to look into therapy were in relation to your posts where you state that you're not in a good place mentally or showing general despair not just towards Smash, but life in general. If you feel that way then that is a sign that you need professional help.

It's not fair to us for you to continue being confrontational at people over funny character fighting game in this thread, and it's not fair to yourself since you're neglecting care that could make a lasting, positive impact in your life. That's what people are trying to say.

D

Deleted member

I'd say that Geralt would count because CDPR's interpretation of him is by far the most popular one. Both of the crossovers he's been in use him as he appears in Witcher 3 and I'd argue most people associate the series with the games by default.

D

Deleted member

1. Nightmare from Soul Calibur. Dude's evil despite being the mascot.
2. Does Geno count?
3. Zero technically ain't the protag for the X series despite being playable from X4 onward.
4. Sans from Undertale. I don't count the mii costume.
5. Max from Bomberman.
6. Sirius from Bomberman 64

D

Deleted member

Just because it's been a thing you've lived with since you were born doesn't mean it's not a problem. Escalating and lashing out if even a minor thing doesn't go your way isn't an appropriate way to have a conversation, both in here and in real life. You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Furthermore, most of the comments telling you to look into therapy were in relation to your posts where you state that you're not in a good place mentally or showing general despair not just towards Smash, but life in general. If you feel that way then that is a sign that you need professional help.

It's not fair to us for you to continue being confrontational at people over funny character fighting game in this thread, and it's not fair to yourself since you're neglecting care that could make a lasting, positive impact in your life. That's what people are trying to say.
I'm just having mixed emotions right now. On one hand, I'm pissed because of my disappointment, and I'm sad because I'm left out of the excitement. I never wanted to be the kind of person left out of the hype. I don't want to be the only person sad because everyone's happy.

I just want to say stop jumping to conclusions unless we got a valid statement. Don't just say that it will certainly happen, when things can go the other way. Whenever you all state that the final character is most certainly male, it scares me, haunts me, and distracts me from what I should be doing. I'm sorry that I offended a lot of fans right now. I'm just...misunderstood since birth, y'know?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ah, a popular character from a franchise wherein they are not the main character but still Smash eligible? The only one I know who fits that to a tee is
2B :sadsheep:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I mean, Dracula and Alucard aren’t playable. So that’s probably the loophole.
Sakurai did strongly consider Alucard to be playable, so the whole adaptation aspect is not the reason he wasn't playable.

Alucard Is a very interesting example, given how he originates not from the original novel but from a movie that, as far as I know, isn't even in the public domain.

D

Deleted member

I just want to say stop jumping to conclusions unless we got a valid statement. Don't just say that it will certainly happen, when things can go the other way. Whenever you all state that the final character is most certainly male, it scares me, haunts me, and distracts me from what I should be doing. I'm sorry that I offended a lot of fans right now. I'm just...misunderstood since birth, y'know?
You're misunderstood? I think you're misunderstanding the point of this thread. This is a Smash speculation board. We're here to speculate chances and it's what this thread has always been. Being wrong is part of the fun. However, telling people to not speculate what you don't want to hear is antithetical to the entire purpose of this thread.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm just having mixed emotions right now. On one hand, I'm pissed because of my disappointment, and I'm sad because I'm left out of the excitement. I never wanted to be the kind of person left out of the hype. I don't want to be the only person sad because everyone's happy.

This isn't pertinent to the prior conversation at all. Please don't try to deflect my point.

I understand your feelings about funny character fighting game, but it ultimately comes down to two things:
  1. The strength of the feelings, and
  2. How you express your feelings
In regards to number 1, I try to not be the kind of person who judges others for their passions, but for you to be so personally involved in speculation is worrying. In the now famous words of Ilya Bryzgalov:

At the end of the day, this is only a video game. There are so many more things to life than Smash Bros., and while I understand its importance to you in your life, surely there are other, more productive uses of your time and energy than raging at people on the internet because they don't necessarily support female characters. Join an organization that advocates for feminism or gender equality or volunteer at a shelter for survivors of domestic abuse or a similar place, shadow or intern with a local congressmen or congresswomen who supports gender equality and get involved in the politics of it all. There is so much for you to do and by putting so much time in here you are neglecting all the other amazing things you could be doing. And in seeking out like-minded peers who care about the same issues as you do, you can create connections and be understood by someone. I know that's how it's worked for me.

I've already spoken in regards to number 2, but there are definitely more healthy, productive ways for you to express dissatisfaction than escalating the conversation and exaggerating other user's points to make it seem like the whole world's out to get you. That's just an unhealthy way to deal with conflict in general, and ties into the point of seeking out counseling to change that habit into one that's more healthy. In the process you might also deal with some other issues that tie into that since these issues are often interconnected. Again, that's drawing from my own, personal experience.

I'd ask you to seriously consider my points, because I believe that I'm not just speaking for myself but also multiple other users in this thread. We only want you to be happy, since it's obvious that you're not right now.

That's a toughie.
  1. Phoenix Wright: Phoenix Wright (side-character in Apollo Justice Ace Attorney so it counts :p)
  2. Tekken: Heihachi (main antagonist)
  3. Overwatch: Tracer (there are no "main protagonists" in Overwatch)
  4. Final Fantasy: Sephiroth (main antagonist)
  5. Puyo Puyo: Amitie (she's a main character in two spin-off titles, but Arle is the main protagonist overall)

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I'd say that Geralt would count because CDPR's interpretation of him is by far the most popular one. Both of the crossovers he's been in use him as he appears in Witcher 3 and I'd argue most people associate the series with the games by default.
let's get all the white-haired characters in Geralt Dante 2b Jeanne (Bayo Echo)

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Since I've been pulling for some MM/ORPG characters, and I don't like create-a-character types or stand-ins (Derplander, Ash, etc.), some of these become pretty easy for me. >_>

Elenor Camuel - Phantasy Star Online
(or Rupika, or Rico)
Shantotto - Final Fantasy XI
Hildibrand Helidor Maximillian Manderville
- Final Fantasy XIV
Kirari Moroboshi
- The iDOLM@STER
(or Ranko, or Mayu, or Takane, or Hibiki, or Eve, etc... I'm very open.)
Shinmyoumaru Sukuna - Touhou Project
(or Patchy, or Meiling, or Hina, or the Prismriver Sisters [as a collective fighter], etc... I'm pretty open here, too. >_>)

Honorable Mentions: Pyramid Head from Silent Hill and Erica Fontaine from Sakura Wars.

Granted, you might say splitting Final Fantasy into additional entries is cheating, but with the way Cloud was handled, it seems realistic that each would sort of exist as its own entity for the purposes of crossing over. If nothing else, I'd at least put the MMOs in their own bucket and drop Hildy if need be.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Ah, a popular character from a franchise wherein they are not the main character but still Smash eligible? The only one I know who fits that to a tee is
2B :sadsheep:
Who is 2B? I Only know of 2E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom