• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's kinda where I stand.

It makes perfect sense, Chun Li's a ****ing big deal to gaming.

JUST....Street Fighter getting a 3rd character before literally any other Capcom IP gets 1?.... But on the other hand, it's ****ing Chun Li.
**** it's another sephy situation

i think people would just be more upset we didnt get funny woohoo pizza man first

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
If you told me to unilaterally choose the Capcom rep, I'd choose Sigma. Best Mega Man villain, and probably the best choice for X representation IMO. However - I'd be down for Chun-Li, why not? I had some digs to take at the discussion surrounding her before, but the character herself, I think it could be neat.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I will say, come March, and CP9, we'll get a much clearer picture of things I feel.

If Chun Li shows up in March, which would kinda make sense since she'd drag the Monster Hunter costumes in with her right in time for Rise, then I think it's kinda safe to assume that a Tales of rep is like, a lock.

Then though, the question is, who? Lloyd or Yuri? Lloyd has the Nintendo connection, but Yuri is the DE-FACTO most popular character, hands down.
It should also be noted that Lloyd has been a fairly popular Smash request for a while now. I suppose it depends on if Nintendo asks Sakurai or Bamco about who's more popular (Assuming, of course, my Velvet theory isn't correct and they weren't delaying a Tales rep for DLC in hopes that Berseria would do well).
I came in here to say why I think Lloyd would be the Tales rep but why are a Tales rep and Chun Li being brought up anyway? Is there a "leak"?
It's SmashBoards. Do you really have to ask?

In all seriousness, this leak was from around the game's launch. Unlike the standard, dime-a-dozen "HEY GUYS (X) IS THE NEXT FIGHTER," it went over characters who were supposedly considered for the base game but were dropped for whatever reason.
Interestingly, it correctly listed Erdrick, Steve and Sephiroth, with the latter two being suspected to have been pushed back already (Though Sephiroth hasn't been confirmed on that front). In addition, it also noted Chun-Li, Lloyd, AND Yuri. While it didn't elaborate on the latter two beyond "They were in the planning stages but disappeared," but it did note that Chun-Li was replaced by Ken; I suspect it was because of time constraints.

So yeah. Obviously not confirmed, but it's a lot more unique and believable than about 90% of every other anonymous "leaks" we get around here.

7NATOR

Smash Master
7NATOR 7NATOR , senpai noticed you lol

I Saw, and Glad he enjoyed the Shout out, because he does deserve it

-------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing I Would like to mention is that

Sephiroth's Tourney should be very interesting. Character Specfic Tourneys have some sort of pattern where depending on what aspect the tourney focus on, the Less chance that a Future DLC Character comes with that aspect

For Example, Banjo's Tourney was based on duo characters, and we never got duo characters later on.

Of course there is some room to breathe, as Hero's Tourney was Hero Vs Villains, and well that would be hard to leave out heroes in Villains in DLC

But I Would pay attention to what Sephritoh's Tourney is based of

If it's Based of his Sword (which I Think might be likely, since Sakurai said that might be the most iconic part of his Design, at least in gameplay), then I'd be more apprehensive of Sword Characters.

If it's based of Villains, I'd be more Apprehensive of Villain Characters, like Doctor Eggman

Shroob

Sup?
I still feel like March is when we'll see the supposed Capcom character.

Just seems like way too perfect timing to drop the missing Monster Hunter dlc costumes from Smash 4 in the exact same month as Monster Hunter Rise comes out.

Everyone's looking at Monster Hunter or Ryu Hayabusa as the next character due to promotional reasons for Rise/Sigma Trilogy, when I'm honestly starting to think it's neither.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Scenario: There is going to be a vol 3 BUT Sakurai is no longer the director.

Would you take that extra content anyway? Kind of a monkey's paw wish

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ask and ye shall receive.
This doesn't really help for our future speculations but people dug up this old post so I might just share it.
Post on 5chan, 19th of December 2018, several days after the release of Ultimate and the reveal of Joker.
http://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1545137368/28

I actually talked about this post before which was coincidentally lining up with other old days rumor about SMRPG.

The post was translated by some anon on 4chan back in the day, and someone gave me a link to it but it's dead now so I translated.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/443463387/#q443463387

28 名無しさん必死だな 2018/12/19(水) 12:40:55.60 ID:MeJl2hmi0

Pretty sure it was Erdrick that got the SE slot.
I heard that they were going to announce Castlevania as a third party retro for overseas and Dragon Quest as also a third party retro for Japan, so I was quite surprised when the DQ rep disappeared completely from the actual game we got.

From what I've heard, it's supposed to have been developed from the beginning, so I don't know if it's part of the DLC pack or not.
I don't know if they couldn't get it done in time, so they sent it to the later updates, but when it was released, there were a few other third parties missing, so maybe they all got put on hold or cancelled, including Erdrick.
I'm pretty sure they were developing Erdrick, and the default guy(?) from Minecraft was there too, with his actual working model, as one of the thrid party reps. But he's gone too idk.
I don't know, Chun-Li was there, but somehow replaced with Ken. Bamco had both Symphonia and Vesperia protagonists in the planning stages, but they're not here as well.

So I don't know if Erdrick will be a paid DLC or a free bonus update, but it's true that it was being developed.
It seems that Enix was really shocked when Cloud made himself in Smash, so they became very cooperative and tried their best to promote their stuff.
They had already decided to release DQ11S at that time, so I guess they were hoping that Smash to bring them some newcomers of overseas into the DQ franchise.

Sora was also a candidate, but it was rejected because they felt that not having any Disney characters wouldn't be right as the KH representative.
There was also Sephiroth and the Mii character from Super Mario RPG, but Sephiroth ended up conceding the spot to DQ, and the Mii one was in a very sensitive position, so it was dropped.
I've heard that there are a lot of requests from his fans, but all they say is to put him into Smash, and only few requests for a new game or a remake of his game. So what they told me is that developers are confusing about this whole Smash fever situation.
Especially from the third party side, they don't want their characters to be established as "Smash" characters, and the occasional requests for a new game are always associated with Smash representation. This kind of attitude from fans are making the devs unsure of their real intentions, that's what I've heard.
They also said that, probably it's only the loudest and most dedicated Smash fans being so on the internet, so it's hard to tell if thier real demographic really want to revive the series or not. They just couldn't take a chance on developing a whole new game by having Smash come in first.
I've been hearing this kind of talk from here and there recently, so I'm wondering just how big of an influence Smash has become.

http://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1545137368/28

28 名無しさん必死だな 2018/12/19(水) 12:40:55.60 ID:MeJl2hmi0

スクエニ枠はたしかにロトだったぞ
海外向けサードレトロで悪魔城、日本向けサードレトロでドラクエっていう発表の方向で進んでるって聞いてたから、ドラクエいつのまにかいなくなってて草生えたの覚えてるわ

俺が聞いた話だと最初から開発されたはずだから、DLCパックってのに含まれてるかどうかはしらん
間に合わなくてアプデに回されたのかしらんが、発売したときには他にも何体かサード抜けてたし、もしかしたらロトも含めて全員お蔵入りになったのかもな
でもたしかにロトは作られてたし、他にも他社はなんかマイクラのデフォルトのやつ?もちゃんと動いてたはずだけどいないな
そういえばチュンリーもいつのまにかケンになってるし、バンナムも企画段階でシンフォニアとヴェスペリアのやつ両方捻じ込んでたのにいないし、ようわからんわ

だからまあロトが有料DLCか無料アプデかでくるかどうかはしらんが、開発されてたってのは本当だぞ
なんかエニックス側がクラウドに先越されたのがけっこう衝撃だったみたいで、めちゃくちゃ協力的になってアピール必死だったみたいよ
DQ11Sを出すことも決まってたし、海外で人気のスマブラから流れてくれればってのもあったんだろうけどな

ソラも候補だったけど、やっぱディズニーキャラ出さないのはKH的にどうなのってことになってボツになった
あとはセフィロスとスーパーマリオRPGのMiiになってたやつがいたけど、セフィロスはまあ結局ドラクエ枠に譲る感じになって、Miiの方はなんかすげー微妙な立ち位置だったから見送りになった
なんかファンからの要望がそれなりにあるらしいんだけど、スマブラに出せってのばっかで、新作作れとかリメイクしろとかの要望がほとんど聞こえてこないから、開発元が困惑してるってパターン多いって聞いた
特にサード的にはスマブラのキャラってことで定着されるのが困るってことらしくて、たまにある新作欲しいとかもスマブラと関連付けられてて、スマブラありきの要望が増えてるから真意が分からなくなってるっぽい
声のでかい熱心なスマブラ厨がネットで言ってるだけって状況らしいから、本当にシリーズの復活が望まれてるのか微妙すぎて、先にスマブラ参戦させて合わせて新作なんて博打は打てないって話を聞いた
そういう感じの話をいろんなところから聞くようになったから、どんだけスマブラの影響大きくなってんだよって思うわ

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the source for the SMRPG rumor. but I think that was around the time frame of Smash Ballot days. I'm not sure it was before or after Sakurai's Famitsu column that mentioned Geno. If that was from Futaba, which I think probably was, I really don't know how to find it anymore. So basically, treat this also as the same as other 4chan/5chan text leaks. ;)

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
So let me get this straight. We have two leaks.

A leak that involves Rayman, Doomguy, and Ryu Hayabusa?

And another leak that involves Chun-Li, and a Tales of representative?

I feel like they will be both fake. My gut tells me this. Only time can tell.
Crash/Reimu/KOS-MOS leak will reign supreme. :yeahboi:

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I can believe that Chun-li and Tales of were worked on at some point, But I also feel like if Chun-li was in we would have seen her already, if the Time Constraints issue is to be believed. Tales Is another one that I can see but eh, Since Bandai Namco works on the game it wouldn't shock me if several characters from their franchises are tested during development but never see the light of day or just don't work out. (Or maybe I'm in denial that Tales would probably exclude Trails from this pass.)

This leak is super weird, it has Steve, Sephiroth and Erdrick but I doesn't have anyone else, You'd think there would at least be a hint of the others in it?

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Scenario: There is going to be a vol 3 BUT Sakurai is no longer the director.

Would you take that extra content anyway? Kind of a monkey's paw wish
Yes. I want to see how different Smash would be with someone else at the helm. How would they go about moveset design?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Wait, the “leak” was posted just days after the game released...?

I can imagine some characters being talked about early, but for a full on confirmed pass?

Idk maybe it’s true though.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I came in here to say why I think Lloyd would be the Tales rep but why are a Tales rep and Chun Li being brought up anyway? Is there a "leak"?
It's not so much a leak as a peek into negotiations from a Japanese post that talks about how a lot of characters were negotiated for base that didn't end up being in base. Sephiroth, Erdrick, and Steve all ended up coming true between these passes, and supposedly Chun-Li was considered before they went with Ken. A Tales Of protagonist was considered but obviously wasn't in base and right now is in limbo.

It isn't a list of characters or anything, just Interesting that this Japanese post came shortly after the game came out and ended up calling a lot of stuff that came true eventually just by talking about negotiations it had heard of.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i dont buy the leak at all lmao, if it came out during the base game release, why would it call Sephiroth two years ahead, even moreso when Nintendo chose Sephiroth, not Sakurai?

that **** is just dumb luck, nothing but. don't fall for the loz18 meme just cause it has your favorite character

Shroob

Sup?
They're both Chinese girls with a lot of kicking moves. I think that we would get Akuma instead if we're getting another Street Fighter rep.
Min Min's focus in her arms.

Chun Li's is her legs.

This should be kinda obvious. The most they have in common is "They're Chinese fighters", and when the hell has that ever stopped us from getting archetype overlaps?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Fun stupid question time. Overnight I become the director of Smash and I pick the three standalone DLC that comes after Pass 2.
You all get Porky of EarthBound/MOTHER, Sigma of Mega Man X, and Nightmare Wizard of Kirby. Now go eat.
I asked about Madotsuki before so pretend I couldn't get KIKIYAMA to agree to put her in because it'd be redundant to bring her up again.
What do you think?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It'd have been great if they outright got Hero correct, instead of only half of it(since Erdrick and Luminary were noted as chosen together by Sakurai. That or Nintendo, and Sakurai went with those two. This one's unclear other than they were tied at the hip among the Heroes in his interviews).

It's still close enough either way, since it makes sense as a leak or a prediction. We all know that leaks are often mealpieces. It's why it's rare a full roster leak ever happens, cause sources usually give parts. On the other hand, sometimes they only know parts anyway.

Interesting leak to keep an eye on, yeah.

Also, Chun-Li barely shares maybe a move or two at most with Min Min. They're actually very very different. It's like saying every single swordsman with a Counter is the same cause of that one move. They're quite different.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The part that no one is really talking about — the Tales character — is what's making me doubt this rumor. Comes across as them trying to upgrade a Mii costume.

Heihachi and Gil have caused me to seriously doubt a Namco character is coming in this pass, and I could easily see the next character bring back Lloyd's costume with them despite not being related to Namco at all.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I think that Min Min makes Chun Li redundant.
Not really

Aside from them being chinese martial artists with a flurry kick attack, they both have fairly different moves and playstyles

Id wager Min Min would make some like Dhalsim more irrelevant first rather than Chunners.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Fun stupid question time. Overnight I become the director of Smush and I pick the three standalone DLC that comes after Pass 2.
You all get Porky of EarthBound/MOTHER, Sigma of Mega Man X, and Nightmare Wizard of Kirby. Now go eat.
What do you think?
I don't care about Porky and Nightmare would be really lame, but Sigma makes up for all of it.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
They're both Chinese girls with a lot of kicking moves. I think that we would get Akuma instead if we're getting another Street Fighter rep.
That's an incredibly surface-level comparison since they have very different playstyles.

You're basically having an "all Asians are the same" moment right now.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The part that no one is really talking about — the Tales character — is what's making me doubt this rumor. Comes across as them trying to upgrade a Mii costume.

Heihachi and Gil have caused me to seriously doubt a Namco character is coming in this pass, and I could easily see the next character bring back Lloyd's costume with them despite not being related to Namco at all.
I mean, at the time that the leak was posted, all the Namco costumes were missing. If this leak were posted like, a couple months ago sure, but singling out the Lloyd costume when both Heihachi and Gil were also missing at the time isn't really what they were going for I feel. Reminder that this leak came like, 10~ days after the game came out, and all 3rd party mii costumes were missing at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom