• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Animal Crossing is the fastest selling Switch game by far, after Christmas it is already going to become the best selling switch game of all time. it's been out for 9 months and outsold every other game except for mario kart and in it's first 10 days on the market it sold 11 million copies.

Tom nook would make more sense than a Pokemon rep as right now Animal Crossing is the biggest franchise Nintendo has by a large margin.
I wouldn't be surprised if the next Smash game has an Animal Crossing newcomer (although I'm not exactly sure what they could do moveset wise that hasn't been covered by :ultvillager: :ultisabelle:)

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Animal Crossing is the fastest selling Switch game by far, after Christmas it is already going to become the best selling switch game of all time. it's been out for 9 months and outsold every other game except for mario kart and in it's first 10 days on the market it sold 11 million copies.

Tom nook would make more sense than a Pokemon rep as right now Animal Crossing is the biggest franchise Nintendo has by a large margin.
Yeah, but New Horizons wasn't even released by the time the Pass 2 fighters were decided.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be surprised if the next Smash game has an Animal Crossing newcomer (although I'm not exactly sure what they could do moveset wise that hasn't been covered by :ultvillager: :ultisabelle:)
they could have tom nook using pieces of furniture and bags of bells.

or we could just have kk slider beat people up with his guitar.

why not both?

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Lloyd is really the only Tales character I can see happening. Tales of Symphonia is quite a significant bit bigger than any other game in the series. People can say so-and-so is more popular as a character but from the look of things it seems the popularity of a character is not what matters when it comes to this sort of thing but more so which game is the biggest.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Lloyd is really the only Tales character I can see happening. Tales of Symphonia is quite a significant bit bigger than any other game in the series. People can say so-and-so is more popular as a character but from the look of things it seems the popularity of a character is not what matters when it comes to this sort of thing but more so which game is the biggest.
Returning of Sm4sh Miis tho...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Wouldn't the game that's popular enough for the devs to make a Definitive Edition on modern consoles be what's considered "bigger" though?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Yeah, just checked, it's New Horizons, huh. I stand corrected, then.

That said, I do think you're conflating a few things. NH is has both of these achievements, but... "the biggest franchise"? I assume you're probably talking about NH being their most promoted game as of now, because even if AC is really big, it's not the biggest IP Nintendo has.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Yeah, just checked, it's New Horizons, huh. I stand corrected, then.

That said, I do think you're conflating a few things. NH is has both of these achievements, but... "the biggest franchise"? I assume you're probably talking about NH being their most promoted game as of now, because even if AC is really big, it's not the biggest IP Nintendo has.
I guess it is tied with Mario with Pokemon at a not so distant second with Zelda trailing behind that /s (maybe).

AC has blown up similarly to Minecraft, the only faster selling games were Minecraft and GTAV and the scary part is that it's still selling like it was months ago.

when smash 6 comes around expect like 6 AC characters.

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't the game that's popular enough for the devs to make a Definitive Edition on modern consoles be what's considered "bigger" though?
Good point, had Tales of Symphonia not had a definitive edition (which is the same thing as remaster) 4 years before Vesperia. It was called Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, which I think the oddest choice with that game was to not release it on a Nintendo console despite the original Symphonia by far selling the best on a Nintendo console.
Returning of Sm4sh Miis tho...
"Sir, lets add Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia! He is from the best selling game in the series, has the most fans in the Smash fan base..."
"He was a mii costume in the previous game."
"Shoot, your right. I guess we will have to choose Velvet or Yuri now."
That isn't to say I don't think its super likely he will return as a mii costume, but I doubt him having a mii costume means anything if they planned to pick a character from the Tales series.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
To be fair, Symphonia did break the series into the Western markets and made it a mainstay. I'd say it at least has more going for it on the legacy front. That, and Lloyd has been a pretty popular request for quite some time now.

That being said, I don't know much about Tales of and I just latched onto Velvet because of a "leak" and my own theory based on said leak so who am I to say:mybodyisreggie:

Faso115

Smash Lord
What's your opinion on the supposed Activision roadmap leak about Crash Bandicoot featuring "Crash is Smash" as one of the goals? Fake or legit?

Personally i'm the one that believes most of it could be legit except the smash part.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
What's your opinion on the supposed Activision roadmap leak about Crash Bandicoot featuring "Crash is Smash" as one of the goals? Fake or legit?

Personally i'm the one that believes most of it could be legit except the smash part.
I have yet to see a credible source for where this supposed leak came from. I don't doubt that an Activision roadmap for Crash probably exists, but I doubt the contents that are being spread because I can't find who originally leaked it and where it came from.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It did though.

Like, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles was even a two pack.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Good point, had Tales of Symphonia not had a definitive edition (which is the same thing as remaster) 4 years before Vesperia. It was called Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, which I think the oddest choice with that game was to not release it on a Nintendo console despite the original Symphonia by far selling the best on a Nintendo console.
It did though.

Like, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles was even a two pack.
Ah, I wasn't aware that that existed. Suppose Symphonia is pretty damn big then.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Wish they could actually release Symphonia on modern systems though. It's definitive edition was only released on one 7th gen system (PS3), while Vesperia got releases on Switch, PS4, Xbox One, the works. Unless you're a PC gamer or willing to plug in a dusty 10+ year old system, you're out of luck. Nothing against Lloyd, and I would still be very happy if he got in, but he's certainly being hurt by this lack of accessibility that could very easily be mended.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Hey. So we were talking about Sephiroth's lackluster alts on a few occasions. It really stung playing as him, so I fixed it, and gave him one hell of a cool alt of my own creation - I call him Sephirosé - and I was even able to have him named that in-game, only applying to his P2 color, a la Alph or the Koopalings having their own names. Not quite speculation, I do suppose, but it was mentioned a few times and figured I could share stuff with my homies over here.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Tales Of is one of the most bizarrely handled series in existence, sometimes I'm amazed it's still around considering all the head scratching decisions it's had to endure

D

Deleted member

I will say the Lloyd Mii costume doesn't deconfirm or make him less likely. If anything, it increases his chances.

Miis can totally get a costume of characters already in the game.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Next year is Pokemon's 25th anniversary, I could see them adding a non-promotional Pokémon to celebrate it. Probably Mimikyu.
We've fallen so far that I'd pop off seeing a Pokemon that's not trying to sell me something.
Beyond the DLC itself of course. Don't get smart with me, it'll be trouble.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Next year is Pokemon's 25th anniversary, I could see them adding a non-promotional Pokémon to celebrate it. Probably Mimikyu.
We've fallen so far that I'd pop off seeing a Pokemon that's not trying to sell me something.
non-promotional

All pokemon are ads. Actually all characters added to Smash are ads. :4pacman: :4pacman:

just because it's recent does not mean it is inherently bad or a shill.

although I do get what you're saying

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'd be down for Chun Li, but Mega Man X would easily be my most wanted Capcom rep if we're double dipping into an established series.

Would also be relatively easy to construct a pack for him, given that series has about as much representation as ARMS did in the base game.
If we got more Mega Man characters I'd rather add Proto Man, Roll, Zero, or even Tron before another Mega Man variation honestly. Just in terms of aesthetic diversity, I feel they'd bring more than having two blue bombers.

I.D.

Smash Lord
What happened, patternGOD?
Lots of things, on management's side the most glaring is probably the decision to almost completely abandon Nintendo systems despite Tales of Symphonia being their breakout game (and also their most successful to date), or choosing the XBOX as the platform of choice for certain mainline titles

But the development side has had its own share of dumb **** and drama over the years, it's actually pretty surreal some of the stuff that has happened

tales of nepotism.jpg

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I kind of want another Trainer if we really need a new Pokemon rep, honestly. A Unova trainer'd be awesome - it's the only region besides Galar not yer repped, and unlike Galar it ain't new. Could even use all four protagonists across BW and B2W2, two alt options for each.
That said, if we do need a Galar trainer for whatever reason, here me out...
Marnie, with her three Pokemon being Morpeko, Toxicroak, and Grimmsnarl. Final Smash is, obviously, G-Max Snooze. If we need anything Galar, it's this.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
When I said non-promotional, I meant non Gen 8 promotional. Mimikyu or Grovyle or whatever obviously promote something, but it's not in the same way Cinderace or Urshifu do,
How about "Pokemon added because they know for sure it's popular", then?
I was trying to be a bit tongue in cheek but I forgot the funny, I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom