• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Honestly though, considering this has been the case since Smash 4, if we are getting a new Pokemon character, it is extremely likely going to be a starter from the newest generation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Y'know - one time I had a very strange dream that involved Palkia - of all things - being added as DLC... DLC for Smash For. And Ultimate was out, but they made it very clear in this dreamy direct that Palkia would not being coming to Ultimate. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

RiderFan

Smash Rookie
Pokemon may be an exception, but considering Byleth, and how Three Houses never got an event spirit, I think a Gen 8 Pokemon's chances aren't looking too hot right now.
To be fair Byleth was planned to be in the pass by the time the game came out and they just celebrated the release of SwSh which was probably before the whole second fighters pass was planned. The spirits also didn't have evolved starter, Eternatus, and many Pokemon that weren't revealed prior to release either so there's still options for more reps and spirits.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Lots of things, on management's side the most glaring is probably the decision to almost completely abandon Nintendo systems despite Tales of Symphonia being their breakout game (and also their most successful to date), or choosing the XBOX as the platform of choice for certain mainline titles

But the development side has had its own share of dumb **** and drama over the years, it's actually pretty surreal some of the stuff that has happened

By "perfect partner" Im ssuming they mean lover which is funny because Sorey and mikleo is the fandoms top paring

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
What leak, Shrooby?
It's been posted a few pages back.

Japanese poster on 5ch shortly after the game came out dumped a whole bunch of stuff that ended up happening, Erdrick, Steve, Sephiroth, Geno Mii, while also citing that both Chun Li and "Tales of Symphonia or Tales of Vesperia protagonist" were missing from the game.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
to be fair, there is a bit of a precedent for this

Melee: One Pokemon from the new generation (:pichumelee:), one from an old (:mewtwomelee:)
Brawl: One Pokemon from the new generation (:lucario:) a few from an old (:pt:)

Granted, DLC is a different situation, but we haven't got two pokemon who were both from the most recent generation (exept for when there was only one generation anyways)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
D

Deleted member

I don't know why some are expecting Pokemon other than the starters of the newest generation.

This has been a pattern since Smash 4. It's pretty clear that they prefer to advertise their newest generation.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Returning of Sm4sh Miis tho...
And...? Does this mean that Nintendo really counted out any of those characters from becoming playable because "they were Miis last game"? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Wouldn't the game that's popular enough for the devs to make a Definitive Edition on modern consoles be what's considered "bigger" though?
Tales of Symphonia is the best selling entry in the series, has a sequel and a sort of "definitive version" with both combined into one. Point is, it being the best selling titles in the series as well as having numerous rereleases makes Lloyd the most recognisable protagonist. If they want a Tales character as DLC, it would make sense to pick the most recognisable face to both Nintendo fans and Tales fans and anything else in between.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The Final Fantasy Spirit Board has the most spirits of the DLC characters thus far with at least 13 of them!

I find it interesting that Shiva is added despite the who CERO thing that keeps getting tossed around post-Mai. I'm thinking the problem with her wasn't necessarily the amount of skin shown so much as the specific areas that weren't covered and could possibly end up as... "Camera magnets," shall we say?

That, and the fact that Shiva's a static png who can't be messed around using a camera, but it should be noted that Mythra got censored, and Tharja and Camilla used alternate artworks that didn't show as much. And yet they show Shiva just fine... CERO's weird.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
to be fair, there is a bit of a precedent for this

Melee: One Pokemon from the new generation (:pichumelee:), one from an old (:mewtwomelee:)
Brawl: One Pokemon from the new generation (:lucario:) a few from an old (:pt:)

Granted, DLC is a different situation, but we haven't got two pokemon who were both from the most recent generation (exept for when there was only one generation anyways)
Smash 4 skipped it as well. Since we had only one newcomer. DLC just was started as an idea, though.

So it could go either way, but the pattern is clearly broken since 4, so.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Ultimate has been chugging along for so long now that we're at the same kinds of crossroads we were at base game speculation, holy hell.
So by the time Pack 11 rolls around we're getting Grinch leak ver 2 with false promises of more DLC beyond pass 2?

Because I don't think I can handle a round 2 of Grinch.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
History repeats itself, etc.

Even though we have no evidence that these leaks are actually credible, leaks that get multiple things right are always intriguing.
"Missing" could mean so many things and could have changed in so many ways in two years that... I'm not terribly sure what to make of it even despite it looking potentially credible.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Since when is that a problem?
The argument I was replying to was saying AC was the most deserving of a spot because of how well it did.

How could they possibly have known that months in advance?

I mean.........

Fire Emblem Three Houses wasn’t released by the time the Pass 1 fighters were decided.
Byleth and Corrin were picked due to being recent games that can be marketed.

Sales was never an argument for them, so I don't see why an AC character would be chosen because a game they'd release several months after making the choices would sell insanely well. Only way they could see that coming is if they were the ones behind pandemic and caused it on purpose for sales boosts.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
"Missing" could mean so many things and could have changed in so many ways in two years that... I'm not even terribly sure what to make of it even despite it looking potentially credible.
Feels like, if nothing else, if they went for BOTH Tales of characters, then at least 1 would be playable. I can't imagine a world where they go out of their way to get Yuri just for a costume.

D

Deleted member

I find it interesting that Shiva is added despite the who CERO thing that keeps getting tossed around post-Mai. I'm thinking the problem with her wasn't necessarily the amount of skin shown so much as the specific areas that weren't covered and could possibly end up as... "Camera magnets," shall we say?

That, and the fact that Shiva's a static png who can't be messed around using a camera, but it should be noted that Mythra got censored, and Tharja and Camilla used alternate artworks that didn't show as much. And yet they show Shiva just fine... CERO's weird.
What is even stranger is that... They never censored this spirit.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The Final Fantasy Spirit Board has the most spirits of the DLC characters thus far with at least 13 of them!

It's gonna be a bit bittersweet to finally be getting FF spirits with legitimate art and everything while Cloud's is still stuck with solely his Smash render

Hopefully they get around to updating that whilst they're going out of their way to add Omnislash Ver 5 to his arsenal

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I will say, come March, and CP9, we'll get a much clearer picture of things I feel.

If Chun Li shows up in March, which would kinda make sense since she'd drag the Monster Hunter costumes in with her right in time for Rise, then I think it's kinda safe to assume that a Tales of rep is like, a lock.

Then though, the question is, who? Lloyd or Yuri? Lloyd has the Nintendo connection, but Yuri is the DE-FACTO most popular character, hands down.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I came in here to say why I think Lloyd would be the Tales rep but why are a Tales rep and Chun Li being brought up anyway? Is there a "leak"?

cashregister9

Smash Hero
It's over, reset the timeline.
So you're telling me... The last character will utilize time :4pacman: #Chromie4Smash

I will say, come March, and CP9, we'll get a much clearer picture of things I feel.

If Chun Li shows up in March, which would kinda make sense since she'd drag the Monster Hunter costumes in with her right in time for Rise, then I think it's kinda safe to assume that a Tales of rep is like, a lock.

Then though, the question is, who? Lloyd or Yuri? Lloyd has the Nintendo connection, but Yuri is the DE-FACTO most popular character, hands down.
I mean not necessarily, It would definitely be Eyebrow raise worthy.

there was that one leak from Fpass 1 that had Joker, Hero, Banjo, Terry but it also had Sylux and Edelgard (or something like that) So while it would definitely be worth looking at if that situation happens I still wouldn't consider Tales a lock.

Last edited:

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Or...
[Fun theory] Patern theory, by Blahdalizer
View attachment 296287
I don't see it that way. Piranha Plant wasn't in a fighters pass so i don't really consider him. The way I see it Joker/MinMin is starter. Hero/Sephiroth Is JRPG char & Steve/Banjo is western Microsoft char. As I explained before Steve and Sephiroth got switched so Steve could be available for Minecon

There's also

Chun-Li
Morrigan Aensland
Nightmare
Ragna the Bloodedge
Sol Badguy

Anyone I'm missing?
I don't believe the Sol Badguy hype, Kyle Kiske makes a lot more sense, but I don't see them putting in a sword char so close after Sephiroth. Chun-Li could work but I believe she lacks a bit of the oomph this pass seems to be going for. I could see Akuma getting in before her. Nightmare has the same problem as Kyle. I actually really like Morrigan, but so long as we're going with obscure female fighters, I'd prefer Cammy. No clue who Ragna is.

Technically, Ryu Hayabusa IS a main character in a fighting game. Dead or Alive.
Is he? I'm pretty certain the main char is of DOA is a female with large bouncing boobs. I mean thats what that franchise seems to be about

Shroob

Sup?
I came in here to say why I think Lloyd would be the Tales rep but why are a Tales rep and Chun Li being brought up anyway? Is there a "leak"?
A leak that showed up in Japan like 10 days after the game came out. Called Sephiroth, Steve, Geno Mii and Erdrick.

Grain of salt as usual, but people have been hard speculating that the character in March(CP9), will be a Capcom character and drag along the Monster Hunter Mii outfits with it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Japanese poster on 5ch shortly after the game came out dumped a whole bunch of stuff that ended up happening, Erdrick, Steve, Sephiroth, Geno Mii, while also citing that both Chun Li and "Tales of Symphonia or Tales of Vesperia protagonist" were missing from the game.
bro imagine the next capcom being chun li lol

its another blindside that no one was expecting cause it makes sense but people werent thinking street fighter was gonna get another one

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
A leak that showed up in Japan like 10 days after the game came out. Called Sephiroth, Steve, Geno Mii and Erdrick.

Grain of salt as usual, but people have been hard speculating that the character in March(CP9), will be a Capcom character and drag along the Monster Hunter Mii outfits with it.
Yea I definitely think this is just another lucky guess scenario. Chun Li I just don't see at all.... 2 Chinese kicking girls in the same pass... I don't see it.

Also damn that would be a bummer, so many cool Capcom franchises and we get a third SF character. Chun Li is an icon don't get me wrong but Capcom have a great variety of series.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
bro imagine the next capcom being chun li lol

its another blindside that no one was expecting cause it makes sense but people werent thinking street fighter was gonna get another one
That's kinda where I stand.

It makes perfect sense, Chun Li's a ****ing big deal to gaming.

JUST....Street Fighter getting a 3rd character before literally any other Capcom IP gets 1?.... But on the other hand, it's ****ing Chun Li.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Sephiroth was the only hard guess there. Erdrick was Erdrick, this was during the peak of the Banjo VS Steve wars, and if we were already getting 2 SE reps then obviously Geno wasn't happening.

Shroob

Sup?
Sephiroth was the only hard guess there. Erdrick was Erdrick, this was during the peak of the Banjo VS Steve wars, and if we were already getting 2 SE reps then obviously Geno wasn't happening.
Still, take it with a grain of salt, but keep it on the backburner.

Come March and CP9, we'll have a much better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom