• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not really

Aside from them being chinese martial artists with a flurry kick attack, they both have very different moves and playstyles

Id wager Min Min would make some like Dhalsim more irrelevant than Chunners.
And even Dhalsim has long range kicks she doesn't have and projectiles/flame attacks she doesn't.

Min Min is a very unique individual that basically has no one actually similar to her abilities. Which is pretty neat in itself.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The part that no one is really talking about — the Tales character — is what's making me doubt this rumor. Comes across as them trying to upgrade a Mii costume.

Heihachi and Gil have caused me to seriously doubt a Namco character is coming in this pass, and I could easily see the next character bring back Lloyd's costume with them despite not being related to Namco at all.
Same goes for Capcom and the Monster Hunter costumes. Besides, we're gonna get another character who doesn't come with any Smash 4 costumes unless the Monster Hunter costumes are released in two separate waves.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Fun stupid question time. Overnight I become the director of Smash and I pick the three standalone DLC that comes after Pass 2.
You all get Porky of EarthBound/MOTHER, Sigma of Mega Man X, and Nightmare Wizard of Kirby. Now go eat.
I asked about Madotsuki before so pretend I couldn't get KIKIYAMA to agree to put her in because it'd be redundant to bring her up again.
What do you think?
Don’t care about Sigma either way personally, Nightmare is cool even if I’d prefer other Kirby characters, THANK YOU FOR ENLISTING THE PIGMASK ARMY PORKY MEANS BUSINESS LET’S FRICKIN GOOOOOOOOO-

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Fun stupid question time. Overnight I become the director of Smash and I pick the three standalone DLC that comes after Pass 2.
You all get Porky of EarthBound/MOTHER, Sigma of Mega Man X, and Nightmare Wizard of Kirby. Now go eat.
I asked about Madotsuki before so pretend I couldn't get KIKIYAMA to agree to put her in because it'd be redundant to bring her up again.
What do you think?
Sigma is neat but Nightmare Wizard is a pretty lame choice for another Kirby rep, and I don't care about Porky or Earthbound.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I mean, at the time that the leak was posted, all the Namco costumes were missing. If this leak were posted like, a couple months ago sure, but singling out the Lloyd costume when both Heihachi and Gil were also missing at the time isn't really what they were going for I feel. Reminder that this leak came like, 10~ days after the game came out, and all 3rd party mii costumes were missing at that point.
What's fascinating about this is, assuming this info is true, it means that they were possibly considering the Tales Of rep throughout pass one, and now we shall see if they just dropped the idea (plausible since the Bamco costumes are returning) or indeed went with it. All very strange.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I do think that if we're getting a Capcom rep it's probably gonna be from a currently unrepresented series.
That's something I can agree on.

But to say Chun-Li can't get in because we already have a Chinese character is just making arguments for the sake of making arguments, especially when the first Pass had three RPG progatonists, so clearly Nintendo doesn't really care about double dipping certain things.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, at the time that the leak was posted, all the Namco costumes were missing. If this leak were posted like, a couple months ago sure, but singling out the Lloyd costume when both Heihachi and Gil were also missing at the time isn't really what they were going for I feel. Reminder that this leak came like, 10~ days after the game came out, and all 3rd party mii costumes were missing at that point.
And that's another thing. If this was back when the game first launched, how could they have know for sure that Sephiroth would be in? This leak implies that both Hero and Sephiroth were negotiated for long before the second pass was official. Heck, Piranha Plant wasn't even released yet.

I think it's just luck to be honest.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
User was warned for this post
The thing is, we know for a fact that Steve has been negotiated since base. Erdrick has been a rumor since base. Way before the codename leaks. Is it really that far-fetched for them to hold back on FF7 content because they need a ton of time to work out the rights, and found it made more sense to revisit the idea in pass 2 with Sephi filling in the gaps? It makes sense to me.

Kinda wanna call the last few minutes a certified Smashboards Bruh Moment.
I mean are you really that surprised that the guy whose whole shtick is "show up, make a weirdly declarative statement that usually is full of weird assumptions, and then never respond to criticism and attempt to change the subject" would eventually go there? lol

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
What do you think?
I think you chose the wrong Nightmare

Shroob

Sup?
And that's another thing. If this was back when the game first launched, how could they have know for sure that Sephiroth would be in? This leak implies that both Hero and Sephiroth were negotiated for long before the second pass was official. Heck, Piranha Plant wasn't even released yet.

I think it's just luck to be honest.
It could very well be luck, no one's denying that, but we are keeping an eye on it, which is just good practice when dealing with leaks, even ones you don't personally believe that got several things right.

I'd say that 'most' people are at the very least predicting Capcom in March due to Rise/MH Mii costumes, so if nothing else, we probably don't have long to wait.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't believe the Sol Badguy hype, Kyle Kiske makes a lot more sense, but I don't see them putting in a sword char so close after Sephiroth. Chun-Li could work but I believe she lacks a bit of the oomph this pass seems to be going for. I could see Akuma getting in before her. Nightmare has the same problem as Kyle. I actually really like Morrigan, but so long as we're going with obscure female fighters, I'd prefer Cammy. No clue who Ragna is.
Sol Badguy and Nightmare are the mascots/face of their games. If anyone from those are gonna get in it'll be them.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The thing is, we know for a fact that Steve has been negotiated since base. Erdrick has been a rumor since base. Way before the codename leaks. Is it really that far-fetched for them to hold back on FF7 content because they need a ton of time to work out the rights, and found it made more sense to revisit the idea in pass 2 with Sephi filling in the gaps? It makes sense to me.

I mean are you really that surprised that the guy whose whole shtick is "show up, make a weirdly declarative statement that usually is full of weird assumptions, and then never respond to criticism and attempt to change the subject" would eventually go there? lol
I'm also thinking that Chun Li could become a Mii Fighter costume.
case in point.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Even if the chun-li leak was real it doesn't mean they will get in, the characters could have very well just been canceled permanently.

could someone remind me when they leak was posted please?

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I'm also thinking that Chun Li could become a Mii Fighter costume.
I feel like this would have happened alongside Terry or Min Min if it was going to be a thing by now. That is unless we get another fighting game character of course... or a Capcom character.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I feel like this would have happened alongside Terry or Min Min if it was going to be a thing by now. That is unless we get another fighting game character of course... or a Capcom character.
Mii Fighter costumes can be featured with completely random characters that they have nothing to do with.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If we get a Capcom rep, it's 100% NOT Street Fighter because the Heihachi outfit would have been perfect for that, with SFxT being a thing and all.

Heck, it's the reason we got it with Ryu in Smash 4 to begin with.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Even if the chun-li leak was real it doesn't mean they will get in, the characters could have very well just been canceled permanently.

could someone remind me when they leak was posted please?
Ten days after the game's release. Again, no one is saying Chun-Li is in, just that the post says she was considered as a second Street Fighter rep but Ken was chosen over her. I assume it's because it's easier to develop Ken as an echo.

However, it's interesting that with Arms, Steve, and possibly Sephiroth, the theme of the pass is revisiting old scrapped or delayed ideas.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Ten days after the game's release. Again, no one is saying Chun-Li is in, just that the post says she was considered as a second Street Fighter rep but Ken was chosen over her. I assume it's because it's easier to develop Ken as an echo.

However, it's interesting that with Arms, Steve, and possibly Sephiroth, the theme of the pass is revisiting old scrapped or delayed ideas.
So this leak could be entirely true even if Chun-li or Tales of deosn't end up in smash because the goal of it wan't to leak characters rather to leak scrapped, unfinished or otherwise canceled characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom