• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mii Fighter costumes can be featured with completely random characters that they have nothing to do with.
This has only happened because there was literally nothing else fitting at that point. There's no "gunner"-like characters, hence the Capcom MegaMan costumes being randomly placed.

Rocket Grunt literally fits no one, as nobody are a generic class character other than Hero, and that was pretty hard company specific.

Lloyd isn't back for the same reasons. You could argue Byleth at most would've fit, but otherwise, the rest have some pretty big specifics.

Chun-Li actually fits being with someone like Min Min or Terry, being Fighting Game characters. Even with barely any similarities to Min Min, that would've been logical.

There is logic, but the grab bag costumes are actually a lot more rare than common. So... this isn't a good reason for it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This has only happened because there was literally nothing else fitting at that point. There's no "gunner"-like characters, hence the Capcom MegaMan costumes being randomly placed.

Rocket Grunt literally fits no one, as nobody are a generic class character other than Hero, and that was pretty hard company specific.

Lloyd isn't back for the same reasons. You could argue Byleth at most would've fit, but otherwise, the rest have some pretty big specifics.

Chun-Li actually fits being with someone like Min Min or Terry, being Fighting Game characters. Even with barely any similarities to Min Min, that would've been logical.

There is logic, but the grab bag costumes are actually a lot more rare than common. So... this isn't a good reason for it.
Travis has nothing to do with Steve, Altair and Rabbids have nothing to do with Byleth, etc.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Fun stupid question time. Overnight I become the director of Smash and I pick the three standalone DLC that comes after Pass 2.
You all get Porky of EarthBound/MOTHER, Sigma of Mega Man X, and Nightmare Wizard of Kirby. Now go eat.
I asked about Madotsuki before so pretend I couldn't get KIKIYAMA to agree to put her in because it'd be redundant to bring her up again.
What do you think?
The only one of these that I'm all that familiar with is Nightmare, who is far from my first choice for another Kirby rep (which isn't saying much TBH, almost any Kirby character would be super cool), but if you tell me a mech, a robot, or a mage is in smash you immediately have my attention, so I'd be cool with this.

Shroob

Sup?
Not really, but the Ryu trailer actually referenced that game at the end with Ryu and a Heihachi Mii trading blows, so it makes sense to assume that.
I mean, that could very well just be a reference and not the entire reason behind it, because Ryu isn't a stranger to crossovers.

Sakurai's never said hide no hair about why Ryu was chosen other than him being iconic.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So this leak could be entirely true even if Chun-li or Tales of deosn't end up in smash because the goal of it wan't to leak characters rather to leak scrapped, unfinished or otherwise canceled characters.
Basically. I wouldn't even call them scrapped or canceled characters, more just negotiations that may have taken a while to come to fruition or may have fallen through depending on what happens to Tales Of. I don't think it's something to fully blindly trust, just that it checks out with the info we know so it may have a kernel of truth to it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Travis has nothing to do with Steve, Altair and Rabbids have nothing to do with Byleth, etc.
You completely ignored how rare this actually is.

Travis is a swordfighter, which Steve quite clearly focuses on. Never mind last I checked, he's also a majorly popular and notable Western swordfighter too. Take a guess what Steve is? He is a builder too, but they actually threw in more than one Swordfighter with Steve due to it being his main weapon.

You have two decent examples. Got better ones? Cause again, most of the costumes are logical. The amount of grab bags is less than 50%. The logical thing is it's more likely a costume will come with a fitting character than not.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You completely ignored how rare this actually is.

Travis is a swordfighter, which Steve quite clearly focuses on. Never mind last I checked, he's also a majorly popular and notable Western swordfighter too. Take a guess what Steve is? He is a builder too, but they actually threw in more than one Swordfighter with Steve due to it being his main weapon.

You have two decent examples. Got better ones? Cause again, most of the costumes are logical. The amount of grab bags is less than 50%. The logical thing is it's more likely a costume will come with a fitting character than not.
Here are more: Sans has nothing to do with Banjo and Kazooie. Vault Boy has nothing to do with Min Min. Bomberman has nothing to do with Steve.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
On the note of that 5ch leak, when did Vergeban mention his 'seven SE characters' rumor? I'm trying to figure out a timeline for when some of these early development rumors started popping up.
I believe that it was after Joker's reveal, but before his release.

Shroob

Sup?
On the note of that 5ch leak, when did Vergeban mention his 'seven SE characters' rumor? I'm trying to figure out a timeline for when some of these early development rumors started popping up.
Seven Squares popped up in like.... I wanna say early January 2019?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Gotta love the logic tho.

"Chun Li, famous for her kicks, is too similar to Min Min, famous for her punches."

"So let's instead get a guy who plays almost identically to Ryu and Ken instead."
Not to mention that if Chun-Li being a Chinese woman is enough to condemn her as too similar to Min-Min, wouldn't Akuma being a Japanese man make him the "same" as Ryu by that logic? Especially since they literally share the same moveset.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Not to mention that if Chun-Li being a Chinese woman is enough to condemn her as too similar to Min-Min, wouldn't Akuma being a Japanese man make him the "same" as Ryu by that logic? Especially since they literally share the same moveset.
Ryu is not a DLC character in FP2.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Fun stupid question time. Overnight I become the director of Smash and I pick the three standalone DLC that comes after Pass 2.
You all get Porky of EarthBound/MOTHER, Sigma of Mega Man X, and Nightmare Wizard of Kirby. Now go eat.
I asked about Madotsuki before so pretend I couldn't get KIKIYAMA to agree to put her in because it'd be redundant to bring her up again.
What do you think?
When I first read this, I thought you said "dictator of Smash".
Anyways, I'd feel indifferent about NIghtmare Wizard, but Porky and Sigma seem cool.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
But in this case, both characters are Chinese and Asian, and you were saying "Sorry, they're both Chinese, too similar". Yeah that's a massive yikes, chief.
Again, calling Chinese a race. That is racist, not saying that two Asian Chinese characters are similar, which they somewhat are.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Here are more: Sans has nothing to do with Banjo and Kazooie. Vault Boy has nothing to do with Min Min. Bomberman has nothing to do with Steve.
Sans is a major mascot like Banjo & Kazooie. That makes sense. The other two are good. So, 4 out of... over 20? Considering what I'll say below, maybe 5 out over 20. Actually, we've got about 41 now? And less than 10 are clearly grab bag at best? Your argument is not in your favor here.

It's safe to say that Grab Bags are yes, pretty rare. They can happen. It's not a good argument to make it's likely, though. Also, Microsoft had zero costumes with B&K, so "grab bag" was the only other option if they couldn't. So I'll give you Sans at best too, as I noted earlier.

Still, 5 out of 41, or at least less than 25%, and you're calling "can come with anyone" likely? Come on now. It's clearly an argument that you can't support with statistics here. You have 3 more characters with up to 5 costumes each before your argument can bear fruit. It's best just to leave it that yours simply doesn't work like you thought it did. It happens anyway. It's very easy to mistake your statistics. I constantly make errors too.

Shroob

Sup?
Again, calling Chinese a race. That is racist, not saying that two Asian Chinese characters are similar, which they somewhat are.
They're about as similar as Sephiroth and Dante, which is to say surface level at best.

Last I checked, Chun Li doesn't have elasto-arms that can turn into a frisbee, a ball, or a dragon, and Min Min couldn't turn herself into a spinning top.

Literally all they have similar is "Asian that fights", that's all.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Man up now, devils never cry.
STEAL A SOUL FOR A SECOND CHANCE
BUT YOU WILL NEVER BECOME A MAN

MY CHOSEN TORTUME MAKES ME STRONGER
IN A LIFE THAT CRAVES THE HUNGER
A FREEDOM AND A QUEST FOR LIFE

UNTIL THE END THE JUDGMENT NIGHT

guitar kicks in

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I don't believe the Sol Badguy hype, Kyle Kiske makes a lot more sense, but I don't see them putting in a sword char so close after Sephiroth. Chun-Li could work but I believe she lacks a bit of the oomph this pass seems to be going for. I could see Akuma getting in before her. Nightmare has the same problem as Kyle. I actually really like Morrigan, but so long as we're going with obscure female fighters, I'd prefer Cammy. No clue who Ragna is.
Yeah sure let's represent Guilty Gear without the protagonist in a mascot crossover.

I mean, yeah, Ky Kiske is a very important character in the series, he's more or less like Vegeta, the rival for the main character... which is Sol Badguy.

So nope, Ky doesn't make more sense than the literal protagonist lol.

Ragna is Blazblue's main character, another franchise from Arc System Works.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'll be Honest, I don't like the Idea of Chun-Li that much, Not that I Don't Hate her

But I don't know what other Street Fighter Mechanics she bring that Ryu/Ken haven't brought. Perhaps V-Triggers, or perhaps they give her Supers an EX Moves in base moveset (And update Ryu and Ken with those mechanics as well), But I don't know

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I made seemingly racist comments. I shouldn't be allowed to post here.
"seemingly"

You basically claimed a Chinese character can't be in because she's similar to another Chinese character in this Pass, which is far from true.

That's blatantly racist, though whether it's intentional or not isn't something I can really judge since I don't know how your mind works.

But how about we just... try to change the subject now? This is getting really awkward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom