• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think you're actually racist, I just think you had a flawed idea that wasn't explained very well either.

I'm fine to move past it.
It is racist. I should be banned from the whole site forever, and I absolutely want the mods to do just that.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I made seemingly racist comments. I shouldn't be allowed to post here.
Protip: Apologize and move on.

You're also posting here by choice. Also, Mods do not do thread bans anymore. That's a thing of the past last I checked. You can request to be banned, but the only option is "total forum ban" or "not a ban at all". Besides, see my first paragraph for the best thing to do. It'll move things on better. I should clarify an issue is you refuse to admit you can make a mistake, which is why people are actually aggravated. So... you can resolve it peacefully by apologizing and dropping it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Protip: Apologize and move on.

You're also posting here by choice. Also, Mods do not do thread bans anymore. That's a thing of the past last I checked. You can request to be banned, but the only option is "total forum ban" or "not a ban at all". Besides, see my first paragraph for the best thing to do. It'll move things on better. I should clarify an issue is you refuse to admit you can make a mistake, which is why people are actually aggravated. So... you can resolve it peacefully by apologizing and dropping it.
No one would want to see me apologize. Everyone wants to see me banned.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Anyways…time to say some things that’ll get ME crucified:
  • Eggman may have a better shot in the running, but I still believe characters like Arle or Sakura are still in it
  • Contrary to popular belief, Disney shells out the KH license to anyone who’s willing to take it. That’s why a bunch of awful official KH merchandise exists. Ergo, Nintendo negotiating with Disney for KH won’t be as much of a hassle as people think it’ll be.
There, you may now argue about how I’m in denial or that the characters I mentioned are unlikely (if not impossible) for a number of reasons :4pacman:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This is why I always say timing, and circumstances, are important.

Based on a variety of rumors, at different times throughout the speculation period, it suggests that at the time of base roster, there were a handful of characters that were considered and then pushed off. It's been suggested, evidently, that Hero could have been base, but wasn't. It's been rumored that Steve has been in the mix for at least five years. It's now been rumored that Sephiroth was planned around the same time. What does this tell us? It tells us that there's a real possibility that, considering the picks we've gotten so far, we could, emphasis there, get other characters who are basically revisited from base roster.

Now, there's a few things involved there. Why was Chun-Li, if she was truly considered, dropped? Was it because Ken took less time and expanded Street Fighter, or could Sakurai not get Chun-Li to work, similar to Heihachi? If it's the latter, there's probably a good chance that she doesn't make it as DLC.

It's possible that we get Chun-Li and then Lloyd or Yuri, or vice/versa. Or we won't. It's not as if it's set in stone. Though, I would argue that Chun-Li, somebody glossed over for most of the fanbase who commonly speculates, gets in, that seems to be indicative of a trend that they truly are revisiting ideas discussed during base game planning/development.

There's also the fact that Sakurai has said in the past that once the plan begins, they do not cut characters. So, if Chun-Li "disappeared" like Hero, Steve, and Sephiroth, all who came later, what will determine if this turns out to be true??? Most likely, timing and circumstances. When were they considered, and how seriously?

Should we lean fully into this text post in question? I don't know so much about that. It's always good to have a healthy level of skepticism. Is it worth keeping an eye on? Absolutely! Considering both Chun-Li and a Tales character could both show up based on a scenario where they are paired with a Mii Costume, or potentially replacing a Mii costume in the case of Lloyd. This is inconsistent, however, and should be considered with a grain of salt.

So long story short? It doesn't straight up tell us who is in, but we have two characters (Steve and Sephiroth), who may have been in the works for Ultimate since the beginning or earlier. We've been given a potential scenario in which others, who weren't largely considered before, could be in the same exact development situation as those two AND Hero.

Lastly, I'd argue this: It can be true AND ends up with us getting neither Chun-Li or Lloyd...which really serves us no new information besides the fact that characters were considered and then dropped.

It's also rough, because if it IS real and Chun-Li and Lloyd ARE coming, there's space for one other character to be added in the meantime because it leaves us with one empty slot.

It's gonna be a few interesting months.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm sorry for calling Chun Li and Min Min similar and for being an asshole to everyone. Now, I'm gonna move on.
I'm not gonna lie to you, some of that sounded real, real bad. I don't know if you meant it how it sounded, but I don't know you personally, so I think I owe you the benefit of the doubt so long as this is an isolated incident. But it ain't my call to make how anyone else feels about it. If they're put off, that's pretty reasonable.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No one would want to see me apologize. Everyone wants to see me banned.
Nah, we want to see you apologize.

Look, your arguments have constantly been odd, but you went too far with one. That's the reason why an apology is best.

You are aware that asking for someone to be banned is something that mods have been culling for years, right? They can do so through proper reports. It's been very clear that mod decisions are made in private and based upon reports/PM's, not public statements. This why you're not supposed to reply to trolls either and only ignore/report them. I am not calling you a troll, but do note the point behind the example.

Just like it's against the rules to call for a thread to be locked. It's the same point.

Also, only one or two people are being particularly rude to you and mocking you. Ignore them. I've reported some of those posts for poor behavior anyway. There's no excuse for personal jabs, no matter how foolish something someone says is. As a user, you fall under the same umbrella as everyone else; "you should be treated with basic respect".

Thank you for the apology. Legit appreciated. ...I got more reports to file, I see. -_-

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would also like to point out that, despite the fact that we got ANOTHER Sword user in Smash with Sephiroth, each one plays differently, even if their movesets are similar.

For reference, view the following example of the sword users who play the same
MADE YOU LOOK

For example, Roy and Chrom, despite being a source and echo respectively, cannot be played the same way effectively, requiring a different approach. Marth and Lucina cannot be played the same. Cloud and Sephiroth. Shulk and Link. Young Link and Toon Link. None of these characters can be played the same despite using the same type of weapon, and that's partially because there are plenty of different types of swords that work differently in the first place.

I am certain that two female martial artists, who even may share the same ethnicity, will operate entirely differently.

To make Chun-Li work like Min Min, they'd have to combine her with Dhalsim to create Smash original character, Chun-sim. That would be...weird, and I am not a fan.

Anyway, I won't harp on that as it seems we have moved on. I simply wouldn't be too concerned with characters being all that similar even if they have similar backgrounds in a few ways.

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I would also like to point out that, despite the fact that we got ANOTHER Sword user in Smash with Sephiroth, each one plays differently, even if their movesets are similar.

For reference, view the following example of the sword users who play the same

For example, Roy and Chrom, despite being a source and echo respectively, cannot be played the same way effectively, requiring a different approach. Marth and Lucina cannot be played the same. Cloud and Sephiroth. Shulk and Link. Young Link and Toon Link. None of these characters can be played the same despite using the same type of weapon, and that's partially because there are plenty of different types of swords that work differently in the first place.

I am certain that two female martial artists, who even may share the same ethnicity, will operate entirely differently.

To make Chun-Li work like Min Min, they'd have to combine her with Dhalsim to create Smash original character, Chun-sim. That would be...weird, and I am not a fan.

Anyway, I won't harp on that as it seems we have moved on. I simply wouldn't be too concerned with characters being all that similar even if they have similar backgrounds in a few ways.
Yea, I'll take that L on Min Min and Chun Li being similar.

D

Deleted member

Well, that was a very awful moment.

The lesson is, be anti-racist.
Man I just want an Arc System Works character in it. Sol is my preference but Double Dragon would be so cool. Final boss of classic mode is the brother you didn't pick.
Honestly, at some point, I felt confident in Sol Badguy. He could very well appear.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So this leak could be entirely true even if Chun-li or Tales of deosn't end up in smash because the goal of it wan't to leak characters rather to leak scrapped, unfinished or otherwise canceled characters.
^^^^
The supposed leak isn't "So-and-so is the next fighter," it's negotiations that didn't quite pan out. It also gives more room for actual speculation based off of it, since we're just following trends rather than going "Welp, (X) is the next fighter. Pack it up, boys."

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Honestly, at some point, I felt confident in Sol Badguy. He could very well appear.
I have always been of the mind that the Kunio-kun spirits has to at least point to an ArcSys character being considered. I can't imagine Sakurai of all people approaching the company just for spirits, considering he is a big fan of fighting games.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'll be honest

Part of me also thought Min-Min being in the game also made Chun-Li perhaps less likely, but I think the main thing with that is that Min-Min literally Jacked Chun-Li's Multi Kick Special as her Jab attack

It's also Important to know that While Min-Min Gimmick is her Arms, He secondary Gimmick in both Smash and ARMS are her Kicks, and Chun-Li is also Based on her Kicks.

Both being Chinese might just make the Simliarites more obvious to see, but I don't think their nationality is the main reason why Some (well maybe few) compare Chun-Li and Min-Min.

I will also say both can get in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not going to trust any of these leaks.

Smash has showed time again and again that it tends to break many leaks.

The only succesful leaks were Hero, Banjo-Kazooie, and Terry, but Nintendo definitely played a big role there.

Also, Byleth and Steve got leaked I think, but it was literally right before their announcement.

Still, not many.

Last edited by a moderator:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm not going to trust any of these leaks.

Smash has showed time again and again that it tends to break many leaks.

The only succesful leaks were Hero, Banjo-Kazooie, and Terry, but Nintendo definitely played a big role there.

Also, Byleth and Steve got leaked I think, but it was literally right before their announcement.

Still, not many
Byleth was never leaked. The leakers only said what the fighter was not, not who they were.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I just want to say Chun-Li's moveset is more similar to Ryu, Ken and Terry moreso than Min Min. Not that it's a bad thing at all, since I believe people would be more concerned with playing as her rather than whether she resembles another character or not. Also, a good chance to expand the Street Fighter content because man was I very disappointed with it, too much SF2, not so much of all the other games.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
^^^^
The supposed leak isn't "So-and-so is the next fighter," it's negotiations that didn't quite pan out. It also gives more room for actual speculation based off of it, since we're just following trends rather than going "Welp, (X) is the next fighter. Pack it up, boys."
I wouldn't say it's that the negotiations themselves didn't work out. I'd say it's more that those ideas were floated and either rejected altogether for some reason or another, or pushed off until later.

That's what makes it so interesting in my humble opinion- there's a possibility that 2 of the 3 remaining picks are known and feed into an overall storyline that this DLC is largely planned in advance, which flips everything that's been discussed regarding the character picks for this game upside down.

It's good stuff.

Anyway, Pepsiman is IN and is absolutely the wildcard character.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I just want to say Chun-Li's moveset is more similar to Ryu, Ken and Terry moreso than Min Min. Not that it's a bad thing at all, since I believe people would be more concerned with playing as her rather than whether she resembles another character or not. Also, a good chance to expand the Street Fighter content because man was I very disappointed with it, too much SF2, not so much of all the other games.
At least it has lots of music and Spirits, unlike Final Fantasy with its 2 songs and no Spirits aside from Cloud's Fighter Spirits before Sephiroth was added.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
At least it has lots of music and Spirits, unlike Final Fantasy with its 2 songs and no Spirits aside from Cloud's Fighter Spirits before Sephiroth was added.
While true, there's a lot of music missing from non SF2 games (then again, SF2 is the only one I've played so someone else will have to fill me in) along with other characters.

At the very least, they should make the Player Select music playable outside the Sound Test.

D

Deleted member

Alright thread, it seems we are in a leak moment.

Which team?

The Reimu/KOS-MOS/Crash leak, the Ryu Hayabusa/Rayman/Doomguy leak, the Chun-Li/Tales of leak, or do you not believe in any of these?

Personally, I do not believe on any of these leaks. But place your order, please!

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Wario better be part of the trailer or used as the fighter he goes against the most. >.>
I imagine Tom Nook is incredibly weak at the start but as the opponent incurs debt from some of your moves their attributes become way worse unless they pay you somehow in which your attributes become better

Always wanted the Nook, to me he is the largest AC icon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom