• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wouldn't exactly jump of joy for Chun-Li, but I like her enough to buy her.

Man I just want an Arc System Works character in it. Sol is my preference but Double Dragon would be so cool. Final boss of classic mode is the brother you didn't pick.
Holy hell now I want Double Dragon even more!
I want them as much as a Streets of Rage character, either would saciate my need for Beat em Up rep.
(Final Fight is cool too but it wouldn't have the same impact, personally, as they're always near SF games or VS games).

7NATOR

Smash Master
Would it be far off at all to say Alucard may have been used as a base.
If Alucard was used as a base, that would have interesting Implications regarding Assist Promotions and such

I'm not sure though. I want to say it's a coincendence...but I'm not sure. I'm sure the Dev team noticed the similarities between the Two Characters

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sorry SharkLord, but I don't know how well that works when Berseria was a 2016/2017 game depending on region. They would have known over a year before Ultimate even came out. If you're thinking they were holding off the character for DLC regardless and they were thinking about Velvet, I don't see why Yuri would be in the equation at all.

If you're thinking they were originally going to have the character in base game, I guess I could see the logic. I don't know why they would have been held off this long, though.
The thing is that SSBU's roster was finalized in 2015, so they wouldn't have known at the time. As for the Yuri part, the leak stated that Lloyd and Yuri were both in the planning phases. I suspect that it would've been because Lloyd is popular with the Smash fanbase and Yuri with the Tales fanbase. The theory is that those two were the ones in consideration at first, but were held off to see if Velvet's game would do well enough for her to be a third option.

Then again I whipped this up in like a minute at most based on a leak so it's probably not gonna pan out anyways :drshrug:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Would it be far off at all to say Alucard may have been used as a base.
I guess you technically just ninja'd me, as I was editing my post to make mention of the Vampire Bat move and how it functions just like Octaslash. So yea. I'm running with this.

Last edited:

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
The thing is that SSBU's roster was finalized in 2015, so they wouldn't have known at the time. As for the Yuri part, the leak stated that Lloyd and Yuri were both in the planning phases. I suspect that it would've been because Lloyd is popular with the Smash fanbase and Yuri with the Tales fanbase. The theory is that those two were the ones in consideration at first, but were held off to see if Velvet's game would do well enough for her to be a third option.

Then again I whipped this up in like a minute at most based on a leak so it's probably not gonna pan out anyways :drshrug:
Nice theory actually. Personally I think a Tales rep was always in consideration, but was held off to see how Vesperia Definitive edition would perform on switch.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I don't see how it would change anything there
Well it gives more Credence to Assists getting promoted, since they already have Assets in the game

I've seen discourse where it's said Promoting a Assist is harder than making a Regular character, or that the Assist can't be used as a good base because of the Difference in Playable characters and Assist

We've seen with Bomberman that they can Smooth out a Model and fit it on a Mii Skeleton, but if Alucard was somehow used as a Base for Sephiroth, that would confirm that Assists are good assets for making characters.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Nice theory actually. Personally I think a Tales rep was always in consideration, but was held off to see how Vesperia Definitive edition would perform on switch.
If that was the case then it should be good for Yuri chances as the Switch version sold the best I believe. It was even in the top 30 Switch digital sales for 2019 in Japan I believe.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I wouldn't exactly jump of joy for Chun-Li, but I like her enough to buy her.

Holy hell now I want Double Dragon even more!
I want them as much as a Streets of Rage character, either would saciate my need for Beat em Up rep.
(Final Fight is cool too but it wouldn't have the same impact, personally, as they're always near SF games or VS games).
If any of Arc System Works' beat-em-up characters were to get in, it'd probably be Kunio-Kun, from his self-titled series (known in the West as River City Ransom), it has a massive amount of games & spin-offs, even if a lot of them are confined to Japan.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I decided to come up with some ideas for a possible Chun-Li Spirit Board. Some may need more brainstorming but I thought it'd be cool to share. Much like all the other Street Fighter spirits, they're all Stamina matches:
Alex: :ultincineroar: Prone to using grabs since Alex is known for them.
Urien: :ultganondorf: Prone to using his dash attack as a reference to Urien's tackle.
Oro: :ultpacman:
Remy: :ultgreninja: Prone to using Water Shuriken because it's similar to Remy's projectile.
Twelve: :ultkirby: Will try to continuously absorb the opponent and then abuse copy attacks as a reference to Twelve's transformation Super Art
Q: :ultmegaman: Will have a metal block added to him as a reference to Q's durability he shows at times.
C. Viper: :ultpikachu:
Gouken: :ultryu:
Necalli: :ultridley:Will become stronger after reaching low health in reference to Necalli's V-Trigger form
Rashid: :ultken: Will come with an Ore Club since Rashid's powers are air-based.
Gill: Giant :ulticeclimbers: and Giant :ultbowser:They get access to a second stock as a reference to Gill's Resurrection

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Scenario: There is going to be a vol 3 BUT Sakurai is no longer the director.

Would you take that extra content anyway? Kind of a monkey's paw wish
Absolutely. Sakurai is amazing, but I like to think people paid enough attention to what he's done to continue his work. I'm willing to give the next guy the benefit of the doubt until they prove they suck.

That said, here's how I want the FP11 presentation to end:

Sakurai: "And with that, work on Smash Ultimate comes to an end. Thank you for everything."

Sakuai closes his eyes

camera holds on him for 30 seconds

he opens his eyes

Sakurai: "We're making Fighters Pass 3."

video ends

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If any of Arc System Works' characters were to get in, it'd probably be Kunio-Kun, from his self-titled series (known in the West as River City Ransom), it has a massive amount of games & spin-offs, even if a lot of them are confined to Japan.
He may have legacy under his belt, but Kunio and co. got Spirited Away.

Not Kyoko and Misako though

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Well it gives more Credence to Assists getting promoted, since they already have Assets in the game

I've seen discourse where it's said Promoting a Assist is harder than making a Regular character, or that the Assist can't be used as a good base because of the Difference in Playable characters and Assist

We've seen with Bomberman that they can Smooth out a Model and fit it on a Mii Skeleton, but if Alucard was somehow used as a Base for Sephiroth, that would confirm that Assists are good assets for making characters.
I mean, Assists already have several moves and animations for jumping, double jumping, being grabbed, being thrown, being hit, being launched, air dodging, etc.

I even wonder if they could be kinda like Master Hand where they are programmed as semi-playable.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717

Guess it could help then, but I never saw AT's as barriers anyway. Always thought promotions were completely possible since Pass 2 was announced.

Shroob

Sup?
Absolutely. Sakurai is amazing, but I like to think people pay enough attention to what he's done to continue his work. I'm willing to give the next guy the benefit of the doubt until they prove they suck.

That said, here's how I want the FP11 presentation to end:

Sakurai: "And with that, work on Smash Ultimate comes to an end. Thank you for everything."

Sakuai closes his eyes

camera holds on him for 30 seconds

he opens his eyes

Sakurai: "We're making Fighters Pass 3."

video ends
That'd be a hell of a mic drop lol.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
He may have legacy under his belt, but Kunio and co. got Spirited Away.

Not Kyoko and Misako though
Oh yeah, I forgot about that..so it probably wouldn't be any of their beat-em-up characters.
If any Arc System Works characters got in, I suspect it'd be Sol Badguy or Ragna=the=Bloodedge then.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Guess it could help then, but I never saw AT's as barriers anyway. Always thought promotions were completely possible since Pass 2 was announced.
I thought that too until Min Min. The number of times it was referenced that it wasn't Spring Man is very odd to me.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If any of Arc System Works' characters were to get in, it'd probably be Kunio-Kun, from his self-titled series (known in the West as River City Ransom), it has a massive amount of games & spin-offs, even if a lot of them are confined to Japan.
I desperately WANT that to be true, but Kunio is still a property ArcSys only acquired. Guilty Gear is the heart of that company.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've been thinking about Monster Hunter and I've come to a few conclusions, though tbf others might have thought of these too

1: March is pretty much the only time to announce them for Smash. "Gwen, just because Rise comes out then doesn't mean they have to announce them close to it" you may be thinking, but we know for a fact Rise is a timed exclusive until like August or something due to the Capcom data breach. I don't think Nintendo would be happy with promoting a game when it's no longer in the period of being exclusive to the Switch so it'd be a much smarter idea to strike when the iron's hot.

2: Monster Hunter has 2 absent Mii Costumes but I don't think their inclusion would mean the character can't happen. Mii Costumes are typically consolation prizes but Hunters aren't characters but rather character builds. This isn't unprecedented either as we have the Diamond Armour Mii Costume, not to mention that Rise uses a vastly different aesthetic than prior games with a more Eastern flair, meaning it's easy to tell apart from the 2 Costumes.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I desperately WANT that to be true, but Kunio is still a property ArcSys only acquired. Guilty Gear is the heart of that company.
Yeah, and BlazBlue was literally only created as a spirtual successor to Guilty Gear because ArcSys lost the rights to Guilty Gear, only to later get them back.

7NATOR

Smash Master
On Arc Systems

While I Don't think they be Playable since their Spirit event spoiled that Arc System was involved, and I don't think they would have done that if Arc Systems had a Character in Smash, One thing I thought about was that Guilty Gear and Blazblue not having any Presence in the game was weird, Since I think those franchise could be considered their flagship Franchise

A Thought I had was that they were Miis, and their Miis are being Saved for another Fighting game character. I liked to think that Scorpion would perhaps be the Playable character in this situation, but Since Chun-Li is getting waves, I guess it could also Apply to her

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I've been thinking about Monster Hunter and I've come to a few conclusions, though tbf others might have thought of these too

1: March is pretty much the only time to announce them for Smash. "Gwen, just because Rise comes out then doesn't mean they have to announce them close to it" you may be thinking, but we know for a fact Rise is a timed exclusive until like August or something due to the Capcom data breach. I don't think Nintendo would be happy with promoting a game when it's no longer in the period of being exclusive to the Switch so it'd be a much smarter idea to strike when the iron's hot.

2: Monster Hunter has 2 absent Mii Costumes but I don't think their inclusion would mean the character can't happen. Mii Costumes are typically consolation prizes but Hunters aren't characters but rather character builds. This isn't unprecedented either as we have the Diamond Armour Mii Costume, not to mention that Rise uses a vastly different aesthetic than prior games with a more Eastern flair, meaning it's easy to tell apart from the 2 Costumes.
I feel this. I've always been Team Dante, but Monster Hunter just FEELS imminent.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I thought that too until Min Min. The number of times it was referenced that it wasn't Spring Man is very odd to me.
Opposite for me, the fact they had the opportunity to say that was why Spring Man wasn't included and didn't was bizarre. It sounded like they may have even considered him to me. I really do think the only reason Min Min was chosen was because of the ARMS Director saying he wanted her with some possible influence from that tournament thing.

Shroob

Sup?

I've been saying for awhile it's March or bust for MonHun.

Regardless of anything else, March just seems like it'd be 'the time' to bring back the Mii fighter outfits, if only for basically free promotion.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I actually knew it wasn't Spring Man the moment they announced the guessing game. Why do a guessing game at all if you're gonna pick the most obvious and unsurprising choice?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Opposite for me, the fact they had the opportunity to say that was why Spring Man wasn't included and didn't was bizarre. It sounded like they may have even considered him to me. I really do think the only reason Min Min was chosen was because of the ARMS Director saying he wanted her with some possible influence from that tournament thing.
Yeah, and Bomberman's Mii looks near-identical to his Assist Trophy. I think the main issue with ATs comes from the fact that there just isn't many ATs left who could feasibly fill out a Challenger's Pack.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I actually knew it wasn't Spring Man the moment they announced the guessing game. Why do a guessing game at all if you're gonna pick the most obvious and unsurprising choice?
I was part of the people that thought the buildup was because it would be Spring Man with alts lol.
Yeah, and Bomberman's Mii looks near-identical to his Assist Trophy. I think the main issue with ATs comes from the fact that there just isn't many ATs left who could feasibly fill out a Challenger's Pack.
This, it's not that AT's can't happen it is just that most of them aren't feasible for DLC. There is only like 3 at most I can see actually getting the upgrade, the rest just seem improbable.
Because an Assist Trophy promotion would have been hype.
For the fans yea, but I don't think Nintendo would hype it up to be this big thing in the same way fans would.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Waluigi, Skull Kid, Midna, Krystal, Lyn, Ashley, Takamatsu, Isaac, Dillon, Spring Man, Bomberman, Alucard, Dr. Wily, Zero, Knuckles, Shadow, Guile, Rodin, and Shovel Knight disagree.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've been saying for awhile it's March or bust for MonHun.

Regardless of anything else, March just seems like it'd be 'the time' to bring back the Mii fighter outfits, if only for basically free promotion.
I forgot if you ever mentioned the timed exclusivity tbh and I feel that's the bigger sign at play here than just Rise's release

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I was part of the people that thought the buildup was because it would be Spring Man with alts lol.

This, it's not that AT's can't happen it is just that most of them aren't feasible for DLC. There is only like 3 at most I can see actually getting the upgrade, the rest just seem improbable.

For the fans yea, but I don't think Nintendo would hype it up to be this big thing in the same way fans would.
Spring Man with alts would have been the worst possible choice as many characters' unique gimmicks would be taken away so that they would play just like Spring Man.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Spring Man with alts would have been the worst possible choice as many characters' unique gimmicks would be taken away so that they would play just like Spring Man.
If Custom Moves were still around, having different ARMS would have been a cool unique gimmick.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If Custom Moves were still around, having different ARMS would have been a cool unique gimmick.
I think that would not happen until Smash 6 base roster, assuming they decide to bring customization back, although in ARMS every character can use every ARM available.

Shroob

Sup?
I forgot if you ever mentioned the timed exclusivity tbh and I feel that's the bigger sign at play here than just Rise's release
Yeah, March or bust, which is why at the very least I'm convinced that the Mii costumes are coming then.

....however, tbh, I'd be lying if I said I thought that the March character was MonHun. I don't wanna say I fully buy the leak at hand, but I could see it being as such.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Besides the Fact that Nintendo really wants to play into this Timed Release

There was also that Amiibo theory, that perhaps the Hunter did not get an Amiibo Because the Smash Amiibo will also be the Hunter Amiibo for Monster Hunter Rise.

I do agree that if March comes and Monster Hunter isn't revealed, I don't think they are getting in. Nintendo has revealed characters at times they be most relevant, whether it's an ARMS Character just before revealing a Free trial (and Min-Min was revealed Same month of Anniversary), or Steve around Minecon, or Sephiroth around TGA where FF7 Remake was nominated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom