• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Spring Man with alts would have been the worst possible choice as many characters' unique gimmicks would be taken away so that they would play just like Spring Man.
Honestly? I'd be fine with that because we get way more cool gimmicks. YMMV. As long as the models worked to begin with, alts are fine with me. I don't mind whatsoever if they're OOC. It's understandable if people do, of course.

That said, any single one of those could've been it. The guessing game was done to advertise the game so it can be played more. It had no real bearing on who was chosen whatsoever. Min Min wasn't obvious anyway. We had no idea Nintendo would choose a character specifically fan requested from the creator. It sounded more likely they'd choose the mascot or a main character/acknowledged protagonist on its own. It's a factor that was mainly dismissed since Sakurai's involvement at most was deciding if the character is fine from what Nintendo gave him the suggestion of.

Ballot characters is one thing, since Nintendo already knew of the requests. But an actual straight request(from the people behind the game) to them was unfounded, as none of the other DLC suggested that. It's a unique situation, and it looks like Min Min might be the only time it ever happens. Especially since Nintendo and Sakurai go to 3rd party companies, not the other way around. So it's unlikely to happen outside of another 1st party again too.

Shroob

Sup?
And besides the next character might not even come in March.
If it doesn't then we're going to be waiting longer than we did with Steve, and if Sephiroth is only coming a little under 80 days since, I seriously doubt it.

The Amiibo theory has held strong for 8 characters now, I don't see the reason to suddenly doubt it now of all times when it's less of a theory and more "Oh, it's actually just marketing."

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah, March or bust, which is why at the very least I'm convinced that the Mii costumes are coming then.

....however, tbh, I'd be lying if I said I thought that the March character was MonHun. I don't wanna say I fully buy the leak at hand, but I could see it being as such.
Oh no, speculation being wrong, what a horrible fate. Also idon't know what leak you're talking about as this is clearly a Smash one you're referring to lol

Shroob

Sup?
Oh no, speculation being wrong, what a horrible fate. Also idon't know what leak you're talking about as this is clearly a Smash one you're referring to lol
tl;dr, a few pages back someone dug up a leak from 5ch that was posted 10 days after the game came out in Japan, talked about Erdrick, Steve, Sephiroth, Sora's talks falling through due to Disney and Geno being a Mii.

Also mentioned Chun Li is missing and that "Either Tales of Symphonia or Tales of Vesperia", so Lloyd or Yuri.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
tl;dr, a few pages back someone dug up a leak from 5ch that was posted 10 days after the game came out in Japan, talked about Erdrick, Steve, Sephiroth, Sora's talks falling through due to Disney and Geno being a Mii.

Also mentioned Chun Li is missing and that "Either Tales of Symphonia or Tales of Vesperia", so Lloyd or Yuri.
Oh I misread that as some leak involving MonHun lmao.

Mother****ers never put respect on Velvet smh. Literally one of the best protags I've got to enjoy in a video game and people (understandably) only expect the legacy character or fan favourite

Shroob

Sup?

Mother****ers never put respect on Velvet smh. Literally one of the best protags I've got to enjoy in a video game and people (understandably) only expect the legacy character or fan favourite
I mean, at least in Velvet's case it's cause CERO would throw a ****fit, right? I dunno anything about Tales of, so between Lloyd or Yuri, it matters little to me who gets in. I know Lloyd's the Nintendo fan favorite and Yuri's the general fan favorite, so I'd probably give the edge to Yuri if the leak ends up being real.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

Lol. This is very stupid, but I read "Mother****ers" as "Monster ****ers".
Rhymes with Hunter. Replace the H with C.

Edit: Whoops. It didn't auto-censor. Had to fix that. Lol.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I'd expected the next character to be a surprise, like an out of left field pick like a nobody like Terry.

Speaking of Tales of, I might want to bet 100$ if it's Yuri Lowell only because with the fall of Geno being a mii I felt like throughout this Pass they might not planning on upgrading left over mii from Smash 4.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I never played a Tales of Game, But Velvet looks more Interesting compared to Yuri and Lloyd from what I've seen (Her Demon Arm thing reminds me of Nero)

The thing is that While she is a popular character, I don't know if she's that popular. I remember seeing a poll where she wasn't even the favorite character from her game. There was also potential recency bias since I think Berseria was still recent

However she still did do good on the Poll, Finishing in the Top 10, and Was higher than Lloyd, the Smash fan favorite character.

I don't think Cero would be the biggest of Issues. I think she could perhaps be covered Slightly, but her design is fine

Shroob

Sup?
I never played a Tales of Game, But Velvet looks more Interesting compared to Yuri and Lloyd from what I've seen (Her Demon Arm thing reminds me of Nero)

The thing is that While she is a popular character, I don't know if she's that popular. I remember seeing a poll where she wasn't even the favorite character from her game. There was also potential recency bias since I think Berseria was still recent

However she still did do good on the Poll, Finishing in the Top 10, and Was higher than Lloyd, the Smash fan favorite character.

I don't think Cero would be the biggest of Issues. I think she could perhaps be covered Slightly, but her design is fine
1608359059784.png

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I mean, at least in Velvet's case it's cause CERO would throw a ****fit, right? I dunno anything about Tales of, so between Lloyd or Yuri, it matters little to me who gets in. I know Lloyd's the Nintendo fan favorite and Yuri's the general fan favorite, so I'd probably give the edge to Yuri if the leak ends up being real.
Tbf some slight alterations can work as she doesn't have a panty shot and Smash already has some boob windows but Velvet's got so much competition in her own series who have much bigger significance and fan demand

SharkLord

Smash Hero

To elaborate, it was on characters who were negotiated for but didn't show up for whatever reason. Chun-Li was supposedly replaced with Ken, while apparently Lloyd AND Yuri were planned as well, but vanished. Based on the idea of FP2 being a second chance, there's been discussion on those three, plus that Velvet theory I slapped together and posted on her thread.

Anyways if there's anything to come out of this I should probably use this as an excuse to get into Tales of Berseria. Seeing as the three games we talk about the most are on Steam (Also Zestiria too I guess) I should be able to try it out once I get a proper controller.

Shroob

Sup?
Tbf some slight alterations can work as she doesn't have a panty shot and Smash already has some boob windows but Velvet's got so much competition in her own series who have much bigger significance and fan demand
But at the same time, aren't most boob windows censored in Smash?

1608359205265.png

Like, to me, Velvet's design almost screams "You'd need to almost completely overhaul her like you would Mai, and Mai didn't make the cut.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Like, to me, Velvet's design almost screams "You'd need to almost completely overhaul her like you would Mai, and Mai didn't make the cut.
Make the window more like Samus' or Bayo's and we should be good I feel. It's not like Camilla or Mai where it's an integral part of her characterization or fighting style

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If any of Arc System Works' characters were to get in, it'd probably be Kunio-Kun, from his self-titled series (known in the West as River City Ransom), it has a massive amount of games & spin-offs, even if a lot of them are confined to Japan.
Oh I know, I know.
I like Kunio too. Would be cool with his unique chibi-like art style, and quirky animations.
I just have a bigger attachment to Double Dragon (especially the brotastic Neon versions).

I support either tbh. And having a Castle Crasher as a priMiium on their reveal would be icing on the cake.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Just cover up the window and lengthen the shorts and she shouldn't be any worse than Zero Suit Samus' ending alts.

Plus, as I have said many times before, Mai would've just been a stage cameo and she wouldn't get as much effort put into her as a fighter.

Shroob

Sup?
Ok seriously, can someone explain to me how Lloyd is unlikely because his Mii costume hasn't come back. Because literally it is straight up implying that Nintendo didn't ask for him because he had a Mii costume in Smash 4.
I don't think it makes Lloyd less likely, I just have to think if it's between Lloyd or Yuri, Yuri has the clear edge. If the DLC is about reaching out to people who aren't already super invested into Smash, which seems to be the case when you got characters like Joker, Terry, etc, then Lloyd is basically the "Nintendo" pick, while Yuri is the "General" pick.

Most of my friends who DO like Tales of don't think too highly of Symphonia and call it "Nostalgia bait", while praising games like Abyss, Vesperia and Berseria.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
How do you all feel about Gordon Freeman being a playable fighter in Smash?
The most experience I've had with him is the Crowbar and HEV Suit palette in Dead Cells, but what little I've heard of him sounds pretty unique. All I know is that he has a Crowbar and apparently a Gravity Gun, but I like the sound of that already.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
How do you all feel about Gordon Freeman being a playable fighter in Smash?
I would absolutely love it, Half-life 2 and it's Episodes is my Favorite game of all time tied with TF2. Gordon could have a seriously unique move set they can make one built around the different weaponry from the series or they can make one out of just the Crowbar and Gravity Gun, There are so many directions they can go with him. Not even mentioning the Music that he could bring, Half-life has a killer ost but they could easily get music from the other games like Portal and TF2 because Mike Morasky and Kelly Bailey have worked on all 3.

TL;DR: Gordon Good.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Here's a fun game: get some whiskey and take a shot for every time you see the word "ass" in this post (including that one).
Playing a Megaman game at 60fps feels weird IMO.
Also, if the pass is going off of what was scrapped from the base game, that means we're getting Alucard from Castlevania because he was passed over in favor of Simon, right?
One more thing: why do we call unverified leaks "leaks" and not rumors?
Not to mention that if Chun-Li being a Chinese woman is enough to condemn her as too similar to Min-Min, wouldn't Akuma being a Japanese man make him the "same" as Ryu by that logic? Especially since they literally share the same moveset.
I know I'm late to this, but I think there's a bit more to it than that. I'm not saying I disagree with you; Chun-Li and Min Min are overall different characters. On the surface, however...
  • Min Min's whole thing in ARMS is kicking. She's also Chinese.
  • Chun-Li is best known for kicking. She's also Chinese.
Of course, the two are different when you dig deeper, but at face value it is clear why one would draw such a comparison. (It doesn't help that, between Chun-Li and Min Min's introduction, "girl" + "kicks" was very common, and maybe even when paired with "Chinese", but I'm unsure about that one.)
Additionally, Akuma and Ryu having similar movesets makes sense in canon as (I think) they practiced the same martial art (Assassin's Fist IIRC), whereas the Chun-Li and Min Min comparison is comparing characters from two different fighting games. I think a better straw to grasp at would be someone like Liu Kang from Mortal Kombat, as they (Ryu & Liu Kang) have the following in common:
  • being Asian males
  • being on team good guys
  • having fireballs
  • multi-hitting kick special move
  • can and have been corrupted by evil forces
  • wear a headband
I'd also like to say that Min Min "being known for punches" is not a good argument because in ARMS, having big ass punches is the whole game's schtick... and in ARMS, what lets Min Min stand out is her ability to kick, as with Barq being Byte's "unique" thing and Twintelle having some sort of "time slow" ability.
Alright thread, it seems we are in a leak moment.

Which team?

The Reimu/KOS-MOS/Crash leak, the Ryu Hayabusa/Rayman/Doomguy leak, the Chun-Li/Tales of leak, or do you not believe in any of these?

Personally, I do not believe on any of these leaks. But place your order, please!
They're all full of ****.
Now that's a difficult one: which character do you think is most likely to ever get in Smash? Scorpion or Gordon Freeman? Remember: Scorpion belongs to a franchise that was born in a Nintendo console, but was banned in Japan for its extreme violence and Gordon belongs to a company that never had any collaboration with Nintendo, but received eulogies from Sakurai. "None" is not an answer, you have to choose one.

View attachment 296319
I don't have an answer because one could make an argument for either as to who is more "likely". Besides, how am I going to measure the objective likelihood of characters appearing in a game where the roster is decided by an elderly couple in conjunction with a big ass corporation? Personally though, I'd prefer Scorpion (then again, I've never played Half-Life in my entire half-life) because I like the character. Also, Mortal Kombat originated on an arcade cabinet.
Gordon Freeman, Sakurai has mentioned the game before and actually there has been a Valve game on Nintendo
Bridge Constructor isn't owned or published by Valve. Sure, Portal is and it is in Bridge Constructor Portal, but the same can be said about LEGO Dimensions. I'm not sure if there has been a Valve game on a Nintendo console, but this ain't it if there is one.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Ok seriously, can someone explain to me how Lloyd is unlikely because his Mii costume hasn't come back. Because literally it is straight up implying that Nintendo didn't ask for him because he had a Mii costume in Smash 4.
I’m confused; I don’t think it means anything, it sounds weird to say a character is unlikely simply because they had a Smash 4 mii costume, if anything they’d probably have been in consideration.

The mii costume could come back and they won’t be playable of course, but saying they’re unlikely because of it not showing up yet is putting them in this weird lose/lose situation :S (and I don’t really understand the connection to them being unlikely either).

Shroob

Sup?
I’m confused; I don’t think it means anything, it sounds weird to say a character is unlikely simply because they had a Smash 4 mii costume, if anything they’d probably have been in consideration.

The mii costume could come back and they won’t be playable of course, but saying they’re unlikely because of it not showing up yet is putting them in this weird lose/lose situation :S (and I don’t really understand the connection to them being unlikely either).
I think when people say "Unlikely" in this regards, they mean "I don't expect any Smash 4 Mii costumes to be upgraded", and considering there's only 3 left, 2 of which are from the same game franchise, well it's definitely premature to say that sure, but it's not looking good.

Lloyd or Monster Hunter could 100% be upgraded no doubt, but if a Capcom character really does come next and it's not MonHun, then it's just Lloyd, and then all eyes will be on the costume to see if he's the sole survivor to be upgraded or not.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The thing that kinda makes me doubt Chun-Li is not Min Min in a vacuum, but the emphasis on kicking in her moveset. Expanding what was a singular aspect of her playstyle in ARMS to be her secondary gimmick outside of the ARMS system felt like Sakurai going out of his way to make Min Min Smash's take on Chun-Li, especially with her rapid jab.

Granted, that's not to say that Min Min and Chun-Li couldn't co-exist, that'd be silly, but it would be strange to do a homage when the authentic deal is coming down later in the pass. I guess the best thing I could compare it to is if Sakurai first added Duck Hunt as a nod to Banjo and Kazooie in a DLC pass, only to add Banjo and Kazooie as a fully playable character later in that pass.

Shroob

Sup?
The nice thing is there's only about 71~ days til March...

And then everyone starts losing their goddamn minds

Bemoaning a "Drought"

Pepe Silvia-ing every little thing Nintendo does trying to connect it to Smash

Expecting a full blown Direct and getting angry if/when a Partner showcase appears

....so it'll just be your average Tuesday, really.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Sol Badguy and Nightmare are the mascots/face of their games. If anyone from those are gonna get in it'll be them.
I was always under the impression that Ky Kiske was the main char of Guilty Gear, learned different after looking into it today so you may have a point. I completely disagree about Nightmare being the Soul Caliber mascot though. Mitsuruigi was the initial protagonist of the series and then Killik was the protagonist after him. There is no reason why we should even expect Nightmare to get in over them. Hell I think Ivy was the series most popular character, and Cervantes was the most popular antagonist iirc.

Yeah sure let's represent Guilty Gear without the protagonist in a mascot crossover.

I mean, yeah, Ky Kiske is a very important character in the series, he's more or less like Vegeta, the rival for the main character... which is Sol Badguy.

So nope, Ky doesn't make more sense than the literal protagonist lol.

Ragna is Blazblue's main character, another franchise from Arc System Works.
Yeah i got that wrong. Looking at the two, you'd assume Ky was Goku and Sol was Vegeta, but perhaps that was the point.

And geez I feel like I haven't heard anyone talk about Blazblue in forever. Is its current iteration a dead game?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I hope by some 0.01% chance on the 22nd that the 2nd half of the 10.0.0 patch accidently contains a leak of the stage kind especially if the stage is either Shopping_District or Salvation.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I wonder if the speculation scene would be changed up if Claptrap from Borderlands got in. Or maybe that wouldn't faze anyone at this point.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Waluigi, Skull Kid, Midna, Krystal, Lyn, Ashley, Takamatsu, Isaac, Dillon, Spring Man, Bomberman, Alucard, Dr. Wily, Zero, Knuckles, Shadow, Guile, Rodin, and Shovel Knight disagree.
I'll take Alucard, Zero and Bomberman, please. You can throw in Shadow as an Echo.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am a bit behind... but why are people here talking about leaks with Chun-Li, Tails, and Lloyd? I would love all three in Smash.

Shroob

Sup?
I am a bit behind... but why are people here talking about leaks with Chun-Li, Tails, and Lloyd? I would love all three in Smash.
Tails? I think you mean Tales of.

There's a 5ch leak that came out 10~ days after the game came out in Japan that had a lot of stuff on it, like Erdrick, Steve, Sephiroth, Sora being canned due to Disney issues and Geno Mii, while also mentioning Chun Li and mentioning LLoyd and Yuri from the Tales of series.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Now that's a difficult one: which character do you think is most likely to ever get in Smash? Scorpion or Gordon Freeman? Remember: Scorpion belongs to a franchise that was born in a Nintendo console, but was banned in Japan for its extreme violence and Gordon belongs to a company that never had any collaboration with Nintendo, but received eulogies from Sakurai. "None" is not an answer, you have to choose one.

View attachment 296319
Mortal Kombat is not and has never been banned in Japan.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Tails? I think you mean Tales of.

There's a 5ch leak that came out 10~ days after the game came out in Japan that had a lot of stuff on it, like Erdrick, Steve, Sephiroth, Sora being canned due to Disney issues and Geno Mii, while also mentioning Chun Li and mentioning LLoyd and Yuri from the Tales of series.
Yuri? Hmm... is he similar to Lloyd enough to be an alt (like the Dragon Quest Heroes)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom