• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
when you think about the gameplay of Fortnite, there are a few things to consider:

1) Lots of guns
2) Building stuff with materials

These are two core parts of Fortnite gameplay. If crafting if a big part of Fortnite (it is) Steve covers that niche. I guess I could see Jonesy in Smash but I do feel as if it would be one character I would actively dislike.

I’m all for popular media crossing over into Smash, but there’s something about particular characters or games crossing over that being a sense of awe to it. It could be that I haven’t played much of Fortnite and think it’s overrated, but it just kinda seems like a meme leak pick.

“I’m gonna put this in a fake leak because it’s gonna freak people out and get attention”, is a major reason why people put things into leaks like this. It gets Smash fans attention.

Also, while I am not going to talk **** about Shantae, I find her chances to be overrated by Nintendo fans overall. As an indie, she’s not nearly as big as others. I don’t think she’s likely whatsoever.

Anyway, that’s my weeklyish comment. Later!

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be honest, Jonesy is probably my least wanted. I'm normally at least indifferent on characters if I haven't played the game or have no connection with their design/moveset but Jonesy is the only character I actively don't want. Fortnite is a huge game and so it wouldn't be out of place in Smash but just nothing about the character interests me. This is coming from someone who has liked every dlc so far.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I lied, I’m commenting again.
man if Jonesy is next then tbh I'm gonna feel super whelmed

like Man

This Is Feelin' Kinda Stale

What Sharklord said a while back really resonated with me - Jonesy and Steve back to back would feel pretty samey. Not saying they don't have differences, of course they do, but I feel like they have enough in common for it to get old. Especially tiring considering the fact that we've had 3 newer characters in a row now. As he said, I really, really hope we get an older character with a different vibe next - just so we can have a palette cleanser. Cause otherwise having like four characters from the same general time period in a row - two of them being particularly similar to each other - would get exhausting, and then I'd start to lose interest and think "man, is the rest of the DLC really gonna be like this?"

sidenote imma probably start calming back down a bit from now on - lately I've fired a lot more shots so to say, and I'm afraid I might end up looking more aggressive/intimidating/harder-to-approach than I'd like to come off as. It's important to know what's bull**** when you see it, but the snarky callout poster life is not for me
At the very least, it’s a good thing you realized that it’s not an actually interesting personality trait to have on a forum. Some folks join forums and then act like a ****, which is especially hilarious when talking with a variety of people about...a kid’s fighting/party game. I know you’re not the type of person to be like that anyway, but folks for whatever reason decide to do that.

Anyway, Pepsiman.

D

Deleted member

Alright I found it

Interestingly enough...

By the Way, Apparently the new Fortnite Season trailer shows that Jonsey is voiced by Troy Baker, so if we get Fortnite in Smash, We also get Troy Baker in Smash.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I gotta say, as someone who doesn't care about Jonesy or Steve, I don't reeeeeally buy that people don't want Jonesy because he builds things and so does Steve. Like if it were reversed and Jonesy was already in the game I don't think many people would be saying they no longer want Steve because crafting is taken. It sounds to me like thinly veiled distaste for Jonesy/Fortnite in general. Which is totally fine, if you don't like something just say it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've played Fortnite twice, and that was purely for the Thanos event. (some of the costumes, like John Wick or Doctor Doom, are tempting, but I'm not going to pay real money for costumes in a game that I might not even play) If Jonesy is included,

He wouldn't be my first, second, or even twenty-fifth choice, but he could be fun from a gameplay perspective. Though it seems like it would be redundant to have Steve and Jonesy back to back when they would almost certainly have similar gimmicks.

If people are thinking this because of Imran's tweet, I thought it was usually more obvious when he was talking about Smash, like what happened here:

Can't remember if he hinted at Steve, though.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I've played Fortnite twice, and that was purely for the Thanos event. (some of the costumes, like John Wick or Doctor Doom, are tempting, but I'm not going to pay real money for costumes in a game that I might not even play) If Jonesy is included,

He wouldn't be my first, second, or even twenty-fifth choice, but he could be fun from a gameplay perspective. Though it seems like it would be redundant to have Steve and Jonesy back to back when they would almost certainly have similar gimmicks.

If people are thinking this because of Imran's tweet, I thought it was usually more obvious when he was talking about Smash, like what happened here:

Can't remember if he hinted at Steve, though.
i THINK it was ZhugeEX that hinted at steve, something about a stealth "data mining" comment

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I gotta say, as someone who doesn't care about Jonesy or Steve, I don't reeeeeally buy that people don't want Jonesy because he builds things and so does Steve. Like if it were reversed and Jonesy was already in the game I don't think many people would be saying they no longer want Steve because crafting is taken. It sounds to me like thinly veiled distaste for Jonesy/Fortnite in general. Which is totally fine, if you don't like something just say it.
It's not necessarily why I'm not interested, I'd just rather not have him now, if we're getting him at all. If they're right after Steve, it would only emphasize the similarities. For example, imagine if we had Ryu and Terry back-to-back. They'd feel a lot more samey than they actually are because we'd feel overloaded by the similar mechanics. If Jonesy was, say, CP10, then we'd have enough time to cool off. Steve will have sunken in and later DLCs would be what we're thinking about then, so it Jonesy wouldn't feel so redundant.

FJA147

Smash Cadet
It was Imran Khna that hinted at min min that is why he has the first letters of those highlighted because it spells out min min with all the info he gave via his responses. ZhugeEX did leak Steve but it was like 10 minutes before his reveal.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Surreal to see all the negativity in here about Fortnite when almost everyone was positive about Steve. Now where was that kettle?
Don't think these two are quite comparable

Minecraft has been out for over a decade now and has pretty much solidified it's legacy.

Fortnite is still pretty fresh in comparison. 2017, I believe.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Minecraft has been out for over a decade now and has pretty much solidified it's legacy.

Fortnite is still pretty fresh in comparison. 2017, I believe?
There's also the fact that while they may have some similarities-I, myself, have highlighted them-They're still two different games with different objectives and just because you like one doesn't mean you're guaranteed to like the other. For example, Ys and Tales of are action-RPGs, but just because you're an Ys fan doesn't necessarily mean you're a Tales fan, and vice versa.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
One thing that makes me relatively hesitant about Jonesy is two things.

First, Sakurai generally takes a "wait and see" approach to adding new IPs to Smash. Olimar had to wait until Brawl to get in, Inkling had to wait until Smash Ultimate, and now it's looking like Akira and the Ring Fit Adventurer are going to have to wait until the next Smash game to get their shot. Even when he had the two "insert future character here" packs for Smash for and Ultimate's DLCs, he opted to go with characters from a new entry in an established franchise instead of adding a new IP that was debuting that year. I think Sakurai waits to see if a game will really have legs before giving them significant content in Smash, lest he fills the roster with IPs that fizzle out almost immediately like Code Name S.T.E.A.M.

Second, third parties, in general, tend to focus on legacy content whenever they're added to Smash. Just looking at who we have so far:
  • :ultsnake: and most Metal Gear content takes heavily after MGS 1. He has a couple of accents from MGS 2 and beyond throughout his moveset, but it's clear the PSX classic was what Sakurai had in mind for Snake.
  • :ultsonic: takes primarily after the Genesis games and, oddly enough, Sonic the Fighters. Although, the Adventure games are also relatively influential in his moveset, being the basis of Sonic's design and two of his special moves.
  • :ultmegaman: is almost all Classic Mega Man, with the six NES entries clearly getting the most love. Unsurprisingly, the only subseries to get a significant degree of content is Mega Man X, almost all of which takes after the SNES and PS1 entries in that series.
  • :ultpacman:'s total representation is, like, 45% Pac Land, 25% OG Pac-Man, 25% retro Namco, and 5% Pac-Man World. Sakurai even specifically said he wouldn't work with the Ghostly Adventure's version of the character
  • :ultryu: and :ultken: are almost all Street Fighter 2, with nearly as many references to the versus series as there are to entries after SF2 in their movesets and alts.
  • :ultcloud: is mostly classic FFVII, although there are a handful of references to Dissidia and Advent Children, which may or not be retro depending on who you ask.
  • :ultbayonetta: is an outlier, being a character from a young series that takes primarily after her newest entry.
  • :ultsimon:, :ultrichter:, as well as Castlevania's content in Smash as a whole are clearly focused on Classicvania, with Symphony of the Night being the oldest game to get more than a remix or spirit.
  • :ultjoker: is another outlier, with Persona 5 being almost the entire focus of Joker's pack beyond some lip service to Persona 3 and 4.
  • :ulthero: is also an outlier, although his pack also focuses heavily on reoccurring content throughout Dragon Quest. :ulthero3:, :ulthero4:, and :ulthero2: all also add some retro appeal.
  • :ultbanjokazooie: is almost all Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, with a palette swap and taunt being the only references to Nuts and Bolts.
  • :ult_terry: is almost exclusively stuff from SNK's run in the 90s, with stuff past Garou only receiving music and subtle references in stuff like character designs.
  • :ultsteve: is definitely more modern than most on the roster, but even his moveset is based on stuff that's been in Minecraft for a long time now. I haven't played Minecraft since 2013 and I recognized nearly everything in his moveset beyond the lava block, elytra, and some of his alts.
Is that to say Jonesy couldn't be another outlier? Of course he could, but given Sakurai's clear preference for legacy content when adding guests and his reservation with new series in the past, I think Jonesy is going to be someone we see in 2030 (assuming Fortnite is around by then).

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Surreal to see all the negativity in here about Fortnite when almost everyone was positive about Steve. Now where was that kettle?
Minecraft ≠ Fortnite

And to be fair, before and right after the Steve reveal there was a lot of negativity surrounding the idea of Minecraft in smash. I wasn't crazy about the idea of Steve at first, and now I love playing him. So even if there's negativity now, that very well may be replaced with positivity later.

But even so Jonesy is my LEAST wanted.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Just because I like Minecraft doesn't mean I like Fortnite.
Just because I don't like Crash doesn't mean I don't want him in Smash.

Don't think these two are quite comparable

Fortnite is still pretty fresh in comparison. 2017, I believe.
Does that mean Mario 64 and Odyssey aren't comparable? They're both platformers starring an Italian plumber. There are stark similarities, age difference aside.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
One thing that makes me relatively hesitant about Jonesy is two things.

First, Sakurai generally takes a "wait and see" approach to adding new IPs to Smash. Olimar had to wait until Brawl to get in, Inkling had to wait until Smash Ultimate, and now it's looking like Akira and the Ring Fit Adventurer are going to have to wait until the next Smash game to get their shot. Even when he had the two "insert future character here" packs for Smash for and Ultimate's DLCs, he opted to go with characters from a new entry in an established franchise instead of adding a new IP that was debuting that year. I think Sakurai waits to see if a game will really have legs before giving them significant content in Smash, lest he fills the roster with IPs that fizzle out almost immediately like Code Name S.T.E.A.M.

Second, third parties, in general, tend to focus on legacy content whenever they're added to Smash. Just looking at who we have so far:
  • :ultsnake: and most Metal Gear content takes heavily after MGS 1. He has a couple of accents from MGS 2 and beyond throughout his moveset, but it's clear the PSX classic was what Sakurai had in mind for Snake.
  • :ultsonic: takes primarily after the Genesis games and, oddly enough, Sonic the Fighters. Although, the Adventure games are also relatively influential in his moveset, being the basis of Sonic's design and two of his special moves.
  • :ultmegaman: is almost all Classic Mega Man, with the six NES entries clearly getting the most love. Unsurprisingly, the only subseries to get a significant degree of content is Mega Man X, almost all of which takes after the SNES and PS1 entries in that series.
  • :ultpacman:'s total representation is, like, 45% Pac Land, 25% OG Pac-Man, 25% retro Namco, and 5% Pac-Man World. Sakurai even specifically said he wouldn't work with the Ghostly Adventure's version of the character
  • :ultryu: and :ultken: are almost all Street Fighter 2, with nearly as many references to the versus series as there are to entries after SF2 in their movesets and alts.
  • :ultcloud: is mostly classic FFVII, although there are a handful of references to Dissidia and Advent Children, which may or not be retro depending on who you ask.
  • :ultbayonetta: is an outlier, being a character from a young series that takes primarily after her newest entry.
  • :ultsimon:, :ultrichter:, as well as Castlevania's content in Smash as a whole are clearly focused on Classicvania, with Symphony of the Night being the oldest game to get more than a remix or spirit.
  • :ultjoker: is another outlier, with Persona 5 being almost the entire focus of Joker's pack beyond some lip service to Persona 3 and 4.
  • :ulthero: is also an outlier, although his pack also focuses heavily on reoccurring content throughout Dragon Quest. :ulthero3:, :ulthero4:, and :ulthero2: all also add some retro appeal.
  • :ultbanjokazooie: is almost all Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, with a palette swap and taunt being the only references to Nuts and Bolts.
  • :ult_terry: is almost exclusively stuff from SNK's run in the 90s, with stuff past Garou only receiving music and subtle references in stuff like character designs.
  • :ultsteve: is definitely more modern than most on the roster, but even his moveset is based on stuff that's been in Minecraft for a long time now. I haven't played Minecraft since 2013 and I recognized nearly everything in his moveset beyond the lava block, elytra, and some of his alts.
Is that to say Jonesy couldn't be another outlier? Of course he could, but given Sakurai's clear preference for legacy content when adding guests and his reservation with new series in the past, I think Jonesy is going to be someone we see in 2030 (assuming Fortnite is around by then).
i didnt notice the dissidia references?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
fortnite's in the same position that Minecraft was in circa 2013. We have another 5 years until it becomes a beloved piece of nostalgia by the now teenagers/adults who played the game as a kid.

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
I could be wrong, but doesn't Cloud's default costume take a few cues from Dissidia? (Namely, the zippers on the boots, but someone with more knowledge on FF and/or a greater eye for aesthetics could probably note more differences are there are some).
For one minor thing, Cloud's SSB4 render for his Advent Children costume is posed to match his Dissidia art, being slightly but noticeably different from his original FF7 pose.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Does that mean Mario 64 and Odyssey aren't comparable? They're both platformers starring an Italian plumber. There are stark similarities, age difference aside.
Okay but unlike 64 and Odyssey, Minecraft and Fortnite are two separate series in two separate genres

osby

Smash Obsessed
I could be wrong, but doesn't Cloud's default costume take a few cues from Dissidia? (Namely, the zippers on the boots, but someone with more knowledge on FF and/or a greater eye for aesthetics could probably note more differences are there are some).
Cloud definitely doesn't float instead of running in FF7 so that's all Dissidia.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Dunno, looks like there's zippers on the boots already in the original concept art.

This one seems more likely though:
Cloud definitely doesn't float instead of running in FF7 so that's all Dissidia.
Source for that:

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Didn't Sakurai note he took a few cues from Dissidia when designing Cloud? I could be remembering wrong, though. If so, that's why.

It also helps it's a good game to look at for how he would fight in a fighting game, not just his rpg mechanics alone. So a reasonable source to take potential cues from~ I mean, Sonic used moves from Sonic the Fighters and Sonic Battle, after all.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The kettle is on your head.

Because you can't seem to see the immense amount of differences between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom