• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Honestly I wouldn't even call Fortnite trendy at this point. I'd say enough time has passed to show it has strong legs to stand on for the future. Remember Fall Guys? Now that was a trendy FOTM game, people played it and then immediately dropped it a month later. Fortnite has been going strong for three years at this point and the game is only going to continue to grow what with all the crossovers it has been having with various gaming, movie, and comic book characters.

If we're taking risks and results into consideration then even the most obstinate and conservative Nintendo executive would admit that Fortnite isn't slowing down in popularity anytime soon. I see this inclusion as a win for Nintendo, for Epic, and for me because I would get another big gaming icon character that I kinda like in Smash. But hey we'll see if Jonesy will actually get in, I'm not entirely sure about his chances but I wouldn't be surprised if he actually does get in.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I've just realized the one thing that'd make me the most disgusted about Jonesy over anything else: Why the hell would Steve take five years to negotiate while Jonesy takes only one-two?

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
If we're taking risks and results into consideration then even the most obstinate and conservative Nintendo executive would admit that Fortnite isn't slowing down in popularity anytime soon.
Although I agree with your point, Fortnite has been losing players for a long time now.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I've just realized the one thing that'd make me the most disgusted about Jonesy over anything else: Why the hell would Steve take five years to negotiate while Jonesy takes only one-two?
This is my guess but Banjo & Kazooie might have had something to do with Minecraft's delay in Smash because Phil Spencer is such a bro that he wanted to make Banjo Kazooie fans happy first.

Fortnite Jonesy however wouldn't have that problem since no one wants any other character in smash that Epic Games has made,

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Gimmick: Resource Management
York has limited use of ammo and his Otherworld Shift powers. Skilled players must learn how to use these in calculated ways in order to change the tides of battle.
Resource what? I used the infinite ammo weapons from beginning to end.

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Weird, I watched a video that had graphs showing the opposite. Are you sure that isn't # of accounts, not active players?

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It is amusing that the cycle of both popular games being copied/emulated and the outrage about them always goes on. Cartoony 2D platformers, first person military shooters, open world sandboxes; the pattern is as tied into gaming as console wars themselves.

As far as Jonesy, I can't speak about his likelihood one way or another, though I do think Fortnite characters in Smash feels like the contemporary topic of the month since speculation has so few leads and discussion has to to be filled by something till January when we will (probably) get Fighter 8.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Resource what? I used the infinite ammo weapons from beginning to end.
Second game doesn't have that luxury. Of course it's still hard to run out of ammo unless you straight up never buy cases of it but I thought it'd add a fun strategic wrinkle to the moveset when it came to adapting into Smash.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Weird, I watched a video that had graphs showing the opposite. Are you sure that isn't # of accounts, not active players?
I believe it's the total number of accounts. Regardless, I doubt the idea that the active player count has decreased since just a few days ago Fortnite hit a record number in the number of players logging in at the same time during an event. The game doesn't seem to be bleeding players.

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
I believe it's the total number of accounts. Regardless, I doubt the idea that the active player count has decreased since just a few days ago Fortnite hit a record number in the number of players logging in at the same time during an event. The game doesn't seem to be bleeding players.

I do want to point out that a not insignificant portion of its playerbase was slaughtered when Apple removed Fortnite from the app store.

Still an enormous amount of monthly players though, Epic is going to be rolling in the dough for a looong time.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That was most obvious attempt at trolling I've ever seen; why did you even bother responding via quote? You're only encouraging it.
No, If I wanted to attempt trolling then I'd say Fire Emblem and Geno suck.

I've noticed far more often than I care to admit, that this thread prefers to talk about RPGs and minimizes majority of other genres. Which was the discussion at hand. You calling it trolling, guy I've never seen before- doesn't make it trolling.
All I'm saying is if on the off chance we do get a Sony character, imma need a delxue Sackboy costume. Pls and thank you samurai
Honestly- I'd be pretty okay with getting:
  • Kratos character
  • Spyro Character
  • Lara Croft Character
  • Crash Character
  • Either Sly/JaknDax/RatchetnClank
-WIth Sly Cooper preMiium
  • Fat Princess preMiium
  • Ape Escape preMiium
-The aforementioned Sackboy preMiium

I don't it of course, but this would fulfill my Sony quota

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
I wouldn't expect any Sony costumes coming with Crash or Spyro, although an Ape Escape Premiium would be godlike

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I know the Square Enix Avengers game lost over 90% of its active player base but that’s a totally different game lol

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Surreal to see all the negativity in here about Fortnite when almost everyone was positive about Steve. Now where was that kettle?
It’s definitely a case of “Fortnite bad”. There was a lot of that for Steve for a while but Minecraft had a popularity renaissance in the past year.

I’m mixed on Jonesy. I like Fortnite; I played it a lot in early 2018, but then took a long break & only started playing again with the recent Marvel event (got a solo W last night babyyy). But I do agree that it feels too new. They should wait to see if it has a lasting impact like Minecraft did. It’s only been popular for just under 3 years now.

SKX31

Smash Master
I do want to point out that a not insignificant portion of its playerbase was slaughtered when Apple removed Fortnite from the app store.

Still an enormous amount of monthly players though, Epic is going to be rolling in the dough for a looong time.
Which points to a very important aspect of how Epic has managed the game: the events are intentionally designed to be something that feels like it's a huge deal. Whether we're talking about the "Vortex" (the map change reset button Epic pushed back in Season 10 I believe?) Travis Scott's first concert there or the Thanos / Galactus events.

They're also heavily relying on Metcalfe's Law (and so do most other "it's popular because it's popular" games): If say Little Timmy knows his friends are playing Fortnite for example he's more likely to play Fortnite and buy its cosmetics. The strength of the network has become arguably key for most companies; Nintendo doesn't really follow that from the "standard sense" and might be an exception, although the recent IP expansion suggests that they are looking to expand through those means.

I'm someone who's also neutral on Fortnite (as with most popular games) on the whole, even if I enjoy watching it. It is in that weird territory where it's been consistently big for 3-ish years now, but not quite gotten to the point where it's inarguably here to stay. It did help set the template for and popularize the BR genre, which shouldn't be forgotten, although one could endlessly debate over whether Fortnite or PUBG had the larger impact there. We'll have to see in 5 or so years really.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Fortnite's odd in that some Smash related antipathy towards it is from being too big (to the point where it feels overexposed in the popular consciousness with some not wanting Ultimate to add to that) and/or not quite big enough (in that its long term legacy and "deservedness" at being in Ultimate is still being debated).

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I take a moment to play Ys and now we're ganging up on somebody while Geno is also simultaneously Jesus Christ now or something

I also died in Ys because I put on the Evil Ring

This cannot be a coincidence
I see I wasn't the only one to make that mistake. I'm relieved.

I'm having a feeling unless the Nintendo ninjas doesn't catch him, he's gonna start leaking the next fighter and remaining at the last minute.
Zhuge isn't a leaker. He's in fact a senior analyst so it's not like he hides his personal information or anything. You won't see him leaking things constantly, and when he does, he usually does it in a subtle way, like he did with Steve.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I see I wasn't the only one to make that mistake. I'm relieved.

Zhuge isn't a leaker. He's in fact a senior analyst so it's not like he hides his personal information or anything. You won't see him leaking things constantly, and when he does, he usually does it in a subtle way, like he did with Steve.
Or that time he did the poll between Min Min, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl and Twintelle saying the winner would be the ARMS character revealed for Smash and Min Min won by a landslide

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Sorry for the rant here but I CAN'T STAND THE PEOPLE THAT SAY "This character that you want to be in Smash is 100% NEVER going to be added as DLC" like they know exactly what's going on at Nintendo and what's going on with Sakurai and his team. You don't see me going around and telling people who just want to play as their favorite character in Smash that "Yeah, this character you want? **** them, they're never going to be added!" pisses me off.

I'm not saying that any video game character is unlikely for Smash, but why the **** do you have to gatekeep characters that OTHER people want? Just to make them mad? That's literally just being a jerk at that point! Now I know what the Minecraft Steve supporters were going through before he got in.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Sorry for the rant here but I CAN'T STAND THE PEOPLE THAT SAY "This character that you want to be in Smash is 100% NEVER going to be added as DLC" like they know exactly what's going on at Nintendo and what's going on with Sakurai and his team. You don't see me going around and telling people who just want to play as their favorite character in Smash that "Yeah, this character you want? **** them, they're never going to be added!" pisses me off.

I'm not saying that any video game character is unlikely for Smash, but why the **** do you have to gatekeep characters that OTHER people want? Just to make them mad? That's literally just being a jerk at that point! Now I know what the Minecraft Steve supporters were going through before he got in.
Sir this is a Wendy's.

D

Deleted member

So, what do ya'll think about the odds of a Smash reveal at the Game Awards? Yay or nay?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Yeah this a problem I’ve seen.

You don’t like nor want a character? cool.

You’re gonna be obnoxious to others over it and maybe even use “facts” to argue they won’t get in? Like “meme pick” and other nonsense? Heck nah.

Heck, some people argue against them when you simply just talked about them being cool and how you’d really like to see them, not arguing anything at all. Like bruh...

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Yeah this a problem I’ve seen.

You don’t like nor want a character? cool.

You’re gonna be obnoxious to others over it and maybe even use “facts” to argue they won’t get in? Like “meme pick” and other nonsense? Heck nah.

Heck, some people argue against them when you simply just talked about them being cool and how you’d really like to see them, not arguing anything at all. Like bruh...
YES I'M REALLY GLAD SOMEONE ELSE UNDERSTANDS!

I've also heard things like "This other franchise from that same company has more casual appeal so they'd add them as a fighter instead and make more money!" or even just in relations to other franchises in general not just from the same company cough*fortnite*cough

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So, what do ya'll think about the odds of a Smash reveal at the Game Awards? Yay or nay?
Perhaps.jpg

Joker was revealed at TGA, but he was a last-minute addition. Byleth wasn't revealed at TGA, but they may have been shoved back at the last minute as well. It could go either way. I'm just gonna chill until the end of January. After that, I'll start getting worried.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
View attachment 294285
Joker was revealed at TGA, but he was a last-minute addition. Byleth wasn't revealed at TGA, but they may have been shoved back at the last minute as well. It could go either way. I'm just gonna chill until the end of January. After that, I'll start getting worried.
If this "last minute decision" pattern holds then not even Nintendo, Sakurai, and Geoff Keighley himself know if we'll get a Smash reveal, so... Exciting times.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Trolling/bait
Sorry for the rant here but I CAN'T STAND THE PEOPLE THAT SAY "This character that you want to be in Smash is 100% NEVER going to be added as DLC"
Sounds like SOMEBODY wants a really stupid character and is getting tired of people reality checking them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom