• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Umm, it hasn't been 1 game a generation. PS2 had God of War 1 and 2. PS3 had God of War 3 and Ascension. PSP had Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta. If we don't count the mobile phone game, the only time a generation only had one God of War game was PS4. Like sure, it's nowhere near as packed as Rachet and Clank, but it's still a series that had multiple entries on PS2, PSP and PS3.
Also worth of mention: AAA developments usually take longer nowadays. God of War 2018 was also a reboot of the series and initially Sony wasn't really fond of bringing back the series after what ''happened'' with God of War: Ascension, but Cory Barlog and Sony Santa Monica Studio convinced the executives. In other words, it was a risky move. Now it doesn't seem like it because the game was a success when it comes to critical reception and sales, but before it's release there was a considerable feeling of doubt around the game.

And risky things aren't usually seen in AAA games. So between that, the fact that it was a completely new game for this generation, new engine, big changes in setting and gameplay, etc. it's more than understandable it took 5-6 years to develop.

In a sense, it's a similar situation to what happened with Breath of the Wild.

Now I'm assuming that for next gen they should be able to launch 2 new entries. They already got the foundations and the direction, which is probably the hardest part. The sequel is scheduled for next year so there's that, though I'm not really sure we will really see the sequel next year.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Also worth of mention: AAA developments usually take longer nowadays. God of War 2018 was also a reboot of the series and initially Sony wasn't really fond of bringing back the series after what ''happened'' with God of War: Ascension, but Cory Barlog and Sony Santa Monica Studio convinced the executives. In other words, it was a risky move. Now it doesn't seem like it because the game was a success when it comes to critical reception and sales, but before it's release there was a considerable feeling of doubt around the game.

And risky things aren't usually seen in AAA games. So between that, the fact that it was a completely new game for this generation, new engine, big changes in setting and gameplay, etc. it's more than understandable it took 5-6 years to develop.

In a sense, it's a similar situation to what happened with Breath of the Wild.

Now I'm assuming that for next gen they should be able to launch 2 new entries. They already got the foundations and the direction, which is probably the hardest part. The sequel is scheduled for next year so there's that, though I'm not really sure we will really see the sequel next year.
Now you're just defending the person who said that it's not a flagship Sony IP by saying that there was a time Sony didn't want to bring it back.

This thread is so black and white that most people can't comprehend the idea of a flagship IP having been ignored or underwhelming in the past, so despite God of War absolutely being one Sony's heavy hitters, someone will still try to justify GoW not being that.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Now you're just defending the person who said that it's not a flagship Sony IP by saying that there was a time Sony didn't want to bring it back.

This thread is so black and white that most people can't comprehend the idea of a flagship IP having been ignored or underwhelming in the past, so despite God of War absolutely being one Sony's heavy hitters, someone will still try to justify GoW not being that.
Wait I'm Confused. This doesn't seem Black and White to me. he was just saying Sony didn't want it to be brought back, but he didn't say it wasn't flagship series even then

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Really? To me it just looks like they're adding on to the point about the PS4 being the only console with only one God of War game when previous systems had multiple.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

To be honest I didn't even realize Ivander was the one who said that lol

But unless I have missed something, I wasn't really defending that idea at all. I believe without a doubt that GoW is one of Sony's flagship titles (I have always said Kratos is the best choice for a Sony representative in Smash).

My post was more about explaining why God of War only had one PS4 game. Maybe my message gave a different feeling, but that wasn't my purpose.

In a sense, the game coming out like it did was a miracle. The game was in a very questionable state 1 year prior to it's release, according to Cory Barlog and Shuhei Yoshida (president of SIE Worlwide Studios).

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Lara Croft should be here, but I have a strong feeling that she's only gonna be a Mii Costume with Geno and the Chocobo Mii's and that makes me sad.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
I would give the link below a further look. Its as if Square is trying to convince their Japanese playerbase to try out Tomb Raider:

I feel like a certain crossover fighter would reeaaally help out with that, hehuhuehue.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I would give the link below a further look. Its as if Square is trying to convince their Japanese playerbase to try out Tomb Raider:

I feel like a certain crossover fighter would reeaaally help out with that, hehuhuehue.
oof, I see why the aggressive push. These are the super violent reboots and games like that aren’t popular there

if anything id recommend the OGs up until uh...what was the last game before the reboot again?

Last edited:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
oof, I see why the aggressive push. These are the super violent reboots and games like that aren’t popular there

if anything id recommend the OGs up until uh...what was the last game before the reboot again?
I love how they made everything so cute only for a Japanese player to look up more info, only to see how brutal these games are.
20201203_112930.jpg

20201203_112942.jpg

Also, the last game before the reboot is Underworld. But that game is fine. I'd avoid Angels of Darkness though.

Last edited:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
The Japanese are something else.
20201203_114044.png

BRUH
20201203_113923.png

Square Enix publishing this comic is pretty interesting to me. Making a whole Tomb Raider tribute page to not only push Shadow but the franchise itself (to Japanese players) is like when Sakurai was trying to explain Fatal Fury in Terry's showcase. What if Square wanted Lara in Smash as gateway to more Japanese exposure? This doesn't mean Nintendo or Sakurai would agree to that but eh, just a thought.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's the joke. The mascots for Sony and Microsoft (Though that's debatable for Sony; They seem to cycle through a lot of mascots) get content, and then for Nintendo's side, it's just

Splatoon

Probably should've added an "Ah yes," to the beginning, but still. SmashBoards has done a number on my sanity, but I'm not THAT far gone.
Ah my bad, consider me Whooshed then

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Now that Steve is in, Lara Croft is the most iconic gaming character not in Smash.

Yes, she is bigger than Crash, Dante and the like.

The only other characters that even come remotely close are Doom Slayer and Master Cheif.

Lara is an absolute titan who has transcended the medium.

She absolutely SHOULD be in Smash.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Now that Steve is in, Lara Croft is the most iconic gaming character not in Smash.

The only other characters that even come remotely close are Doom Slayer and Master Cheif.

I don't agree Doom Slayer being that close to be honest, but yeah, Lara is probably the most known character that isn't in Smash at this point. And I'm saying this as someone who isn't really a Tomb Raider fan and would rather have other Square characters.

I would be okay with her if she was added.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The Japanese are something else.View attachment 293989
BRUH
View attachment 293990
Square Enix publishing this comic is pretty interesting to me. Making a whole Tomb Raider tribute page to not only push Shadow but the franchise itself (to Japanese players) is like when Sakurai was trying to explain Fatal Fury in Terry's showcase. What if Square wanted Lara in Smash as gateway to more Japanese exposure? This doesn't mean Nintendo or Sakurai would agree to that but eh, just a thought.
I dont understand the vacuna/alpaca/llama we see here----- but I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't agree Doom Slayer being that close to be honest, but yeah, Lara is probably the most known character that isn't in Smash at this point. And I'm saying this as someone who isn't really a Tomb Raider fan and would rather have other Square characters.

I say Doom is close because Doom has also transcended its medium.

That and it was an actual economic force in the 90s. Computers being able to play Doom was an actual major selling point.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Which is shocking she's not even a frequency requested character even overshadowed by a side character who only appeared in a 20+ year game and a protagonist who is basically from Disney/Final Fantasy fanfiction.

You would honestly think otherwise.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Which is shocking she's not even a frequency requested character even overshadowed by a side character who only appeared in a 20+ game and a protagonist who is basically from Disney/Final Fantasy fanfiction.

You would honestly think otherwise.
I think its a demographic thing. Smash fans tend to like goofy toon-like characters or flashy anime-ish characters because most characters already in Smash tend to fit into those categories. Lara Croft is more gritty and realistic, and the only character who we have like that already is Snake.

Of course Snake is a fan favorite despite that, probably in part because of the contrast between him and the other fighters.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think its a demographic thing. Smash fans tend to like goofy toon-like characters or flashy anine-ish characters because most characters already in Smash tend to fit into those categories. Lara Croft is more gritty and realistic, and the only character who we have like that already is Snake.

Of course Snake is a fan favorite despite that, probably in part because of the contrast between him and the other fighters.
Cloud? Bayonetta? Simon? Richter? Wouldnt exactly call anime-ish.

Last edited:
I think its a demographic thing. Smash fans tend to like goofy toon-like characters or flashy anime-ish characters because most characters already in Smash tend to fit into those categories.
Yet oddly, characters that are too cartoony but still human in design are also generally disliked. It's mostly chibi-esque designs, but something to note.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm back to posting my slightly updated Lara Croft moveset. She is quickly becoming my most wanted character (and also, who I've always felt should have been added instead of Bayonetta). Please offer feedback.

LARA CROFT

Style: ACTION SURVIVAL

Standard Special: Dual Pistols. Lara holds B and rapidly fires her pistols. Once she hits a target, it locks on. When locked onto a target, she cannot Shield or Dodge without releasing B. However, if she does use the Shield button, this gives her the ability to lock onto a second target if they are near the first target, and each of the two targets gets hit at half speed (as they each only have one pistol locked on). Lara has full mobility while shooting.

Side Special: Bow and Arrow. Lara can press the combination multiple times to switch arrow types, indicated by a meter on the bottom. The options are
  • Standard Arrow (slightly faster than others)
  • Fire Arrow (slightly more damage)
  • Poison Arrow (Damage that lngers)
  • Explosive Arrow (Slightly More Radius of Damage
  • Piercing Arrow (can go through opponent and hit multiple)

Up Special: Skilled Climber. Lara throws out a grappling hook. It is longer than the average tether grab, and Is able to be aimed. If it lands, Lara climbs up the rope, and then can continue to climb up the stage by another half of the rope’s length, regardless of the angle. The hook will also cause average damage if it lands on an opponent, and will push them out of the way to securely attach to a ledge if Lara is in the air.

Down Special: Endure. Lara is known to survive, and this move helps her in multiple ways. For several frames once pressed, Lara will enter an invincible mode. This will mean she can survive a couple of hits without taking damage or knockback, break a counter used on her, move through rapid fire attacks. It is also used passively to help her survive for slighter longer when swimming, and passively keeps her from taking damage or effect from stage hazards.

In stark contrast to other characters, and to emphasize that Lara is a human thrown into other worldy adventures- her Smash attacks, not her specials, will use animations of the items in her more magical explorations- though they will not be as versatile as her specials. She can crawl, wall cling, and wall jump.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom