• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Techically Minecraft was released in 2009, so it's technically not a 2010's game

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Techically Minecraft was released in 2009, so it's technically not a 2010's game
Steve’s All-Star mode date is based on the official version 1.0.0 Java Edition release date in 2011 (link), so Smash considers him a 2010s character. Whether that’s most accurate is another question, but Smash is using the 1.0.0 release date

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Have we beaten that Sora leak to death yet?

Also--- unrelated--- can someone tell me why Neku where's headphones? That seems like a poor idea for a fighter.

Is it Because he's Sexy? Or is it because of that Ad?
Well, I'm gay, so that ad meant nothing to me.

I think it's that his arms and legs look the best.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Steve’s All-Star mode date is based on the official version 1.0.0 Java Edition release date in 2011 (link), so Smash considers him a 2010s character. Whether that’s most accurate is another question, but Smash is using the 1.0.0 release date
Did not Know that. Thanks!

That also Makes some interesting development in my 2010's Tournament Theory

We got the last Era Tourney (200X Around may or Early June). Min-Min and Steve then got revealed and released, and these characters are classfied as 2010's Characters.

Yet we still haven't gotten the 2010's Tournament yet. Perhaps they are saving it for another character in this pass?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I remember my friend being the one to first post about it and I told him ahead of time it's nothing and that he probably shouldn't bother

Boy did it blow up....
It's literally the texture of the flag behind the ice.

I'm all for Rayman in Smash- but it's very clearly the flag from behind the ice.
Probably just talking, didn’t Sakurai said only Characters born in video games?

Don’t get me wrong, DBZ is life.
I just don't understand the appeal of Goku. Just make a game that's Smash Bros v Jump Force. (or better yet, add fricken magical girls into Jump Force, goddamnit).
Surprised no one took a jab at FE. Those debates are pretty much the king of, "You might want to come back later."
As resident Fire Emblem hater (who actually plays Corrin a lot), I'll take a dragon spear to this argument.

..... Fire Emblem is not worthy of Mjonir.

Some guy proposed his theory that Terry was only added because of said gay relationship and then played damage control by saying it was "just a joke" when everyone called him out on it.

The user responsible was banned shortly after (pretty sure he had a Tora pfp) and I can't remember what his name was, but Sari also brought this up a while back so at least I know that I'm not going crazy.
I'm confused... a real life human being was in a relationship with a fictional character?

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that Fortnite is much too new to get a character, as it is unknown if it will have long-lasting popularity like Minecraft.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
They're still new characters though. Why is it a difference?
Fortnite is a massive fad, but it's just that. It might fall out of favor in the next several years. Besides, Hero doesn't count, as there's three other playable heroes and he's grouped with the 80s characters in All-Star Mode. I don't know if they'll give a character to a third-party IP that new, and the fact that Fortnite appears to be America-centric when it comes to crossovers.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The only reason why people are paying more attention to Fortnite now is because both itself and Minecraft fit the "really popular with little kids today and it's annoying," stereotype.

Fortnite could get in, but I think people are forgetting that Microsoft's relationship with Nintendo is probably the main reason why we were able to get Steve. Even with Minecraft's popularity, Steve may have not gotten in without both companies being on good terms.
I think that's an understatement.
Fortnite has ...an insane amount of crossovers.
It's part of the currently booming genre of Battle Royale.
It's free to start, so it's highly known.

That's quite a lot else going for it.

Meanwhile, while in this category, I'm 100 percent team Overwatch. I wish I didnt wait four years to start playing it.
If Microsoft, Nintendo's rival console maker whose collaboration with Nintendo is mainly just about Minecraft, qualifies as having a good relationship, surely Epic Games does too.
There was an entire 'play together' campaign.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that's an understatement.
Fortnite has ...an insane amount of crossovers.
It's part of the currently booming genre of Battle Royale.
It's free to start, so it's highly known.

That's quite a lot else going for it.

Meanwhile, while in this category, I'm 100 percent team Overwatch. I wish I didnt wait four years to start playing it.

There was an entire 'play together' campaign.
Fortnite however is pretty America-centric when it comes to crossovers and I don't know if they want to crossover with non-American series.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Fortnite is a massive fad, but it's just that. It might fall out of favor in the next several years.
Fortnite's stayed so popular for so long that I can't see it truly dying. I can see it following Minecraft's trajectory: another year or two of big popularity, a massive decline for 3-4 years, and then a noostalgia-born return to the top, but not total death.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
  • Granblue Fantasy or even Genshin Impact (while the impact is not that big it's probably the first ever mobile game that hit the console market and has a quality to it [unlike Angry Bird])
Not sure what you're saying about Angry Birds- but it has two movies and a TV series.... and is also.... known, outside of gaming, not to mention is a new genre.
I'd say it's miles ahead of Granblue in terms of 'deserving.'

lol, the bad model sora?
Was it better to talk about Gen 8, Geno, game sex icons, or even the Shulk/ Little Mac leak?

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If Microsoft, Nintendo's rival console maker whose collaboration with Nintendo is mainly just about Minecraft,
And Cuphead
And both Ori gameas
And every Bethesda game since Microsoft bought ZeniMax, which includes the upcoming Switch version of Doom Eternal
And Smash on two separate occasions
And an entire campaign dedicated to crossplaying between Xbox One and Switch
Not to mention they took the time to have an entire world themese after Mario filled to the brim with references when releasing Minecraft on Nintendo consoles

You're really underselling how cooperative the two companies have been in the past five years.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't see why Nintendo would care about popularity a decade from now when they are looking to sell DLC today.
This is not even just a Fortnite thing. I think some fans really have a tendency to refuse seeing Smash as anything other than a gaming museum where you have to be this old to enter.

Meanwhile, like half of the DLC characters we got were younger than Switch so obviously Nintendo isn't terribly concerned about what hardcore fans will think about their choices years later.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Because it could be a bad investment if Fortnite starts dying off.
By the time Fortnite dies, Ultimate's DLC run would most likely be over already, so I feel like whatever damages Fortnite's death would bring to the overall investment would be extremely minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What, you didn't know about the Lara Croft series? It was a relatively unknown series that has become a cult classic. It came out in February 31st, 1997. :laugh:
I see what ya did there....
1997 wasn't a real year!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
At this point I'd say Fortnite is anything but a trend. It's still pretty popular and at this rate, it will still be popular.

Among Us or Fall Guys could be considered a flavor of the month game as of now, but Fortnite? It has been like 3 years and it's still incredibly popular.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
At this point I'd say Fortnite is anything but a trend. It's still pretty popular and at this rate, it will still be popular.

Among Us or Fall Guys could be considered a flavor of the month game as of now, but Fortnite? It has been like 3 years and it's still incredibly popular.
At this point, Fortnite might as well be the next "Minecraft", if you ask me. A game that's probably not going to always be at its peak popularity, but never not be relevant either.

D

Deleted member

It didn't stop Joker and Luminary from getting in.
Luminary didn't get in only because of XI; the DQ series is right up there with Final Fantasy as the pinnacle of the RPG genre. Plus, Byt he end of the Game, assuming you played through the whole post story, you learn that the Luminary earned the title of 'Erdrick', all the characters you play as have earned that title based on the first Erdrick of the DQ series. So its really more of a celebration of the DQ series as a whole and not just XI

Last edited by a moderator:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Not sure what you're saying about Angry Birds- but it has two movies and a TV series.... and is also.... known, outside of gaming, not to mention is a new genre.
I'd say it's miles ahead of Granblue in terms of 'deserving.'
Eh, I list Granblue and Gengshin in terms of multiple audience, from mobile to console gamer which makes their presence more spread out rather than just mobile gamers, plus even if Angry Bird is one of the more popular mobile game I can't see them represent a franchise with such a 'known' legacy for a such a simple game.

I get it, quality isn't everything but from the worldwide perspective you gotta show that even if they're mobile game they still could compete with console game in terms of graphic which is something that mobile games tend to lack among many other flaws that it has that made them something of a black sheep, and also Cygames and Mihoyo partially have an experience with publishing their game to console and meeting every criteria that makes them eligible to release their game among the sea of high profiled series and with Cygames they even collab with Nintendo to make Dragalia.

tl:dr Angry Bird barely do something impressive outside of movies nor even have any involvement or even presences outside of mobile games which is too centralized without having the effort to branch out on other platform which might be considered 'lazy' which I pretty much dislike from a company as how come they're deserving to be in Smash just because they made you're childhood until you realized they wipe out all of their old games from existence

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Also--- unrelated--- can someone tell me why Neku where's headphones? That seems like a poor idea for a fighter.
It's 'cause the entire game is about him ceasing to be a jerk who doesn't make friends with people. The headphones are an in-universe excuse not to have conversations and out-of-universe symbolism for his jerk-ness. And he wasn't exactly expecting to get into fights, he just kinda did.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It’s just sort of a teenager thing. Not sure why that would affect his moveset if he ever got in.
I guess I just find it a stupid design.
Zippers are impractical in a fight- but cutting off an entire sense is just foolhardy.

I know this isn't relevant, but it causes a fire within my soul. Mamma Mia.

Eh, I list Granblue and Gengshin in terms of multiple audience, from mobile to console gamer which makes their presence more spread out rather than just mobile gamers, plus even if Angry Bird is one of the more popular mobile game I can't see them represent a franchise with such a 'known' legacy for a such a simple game.

I get it, quality isn't everything but from the worldwide perspective you gotta show that even if they're mobile game they still could compete with console game in terms of graphic which is something that mobile games tend to lack among many other flaws that it has that made them something of a black sheep, and also Cygames and Mihoyo partially have an experience with publishing their game to console and meeting every criteria that makes them eligible to release their game among the sea of high profiled series and with Cygames they even collab with Nintendo to make Dragalia.

tl:dr Angry Bird barely do something impressive outside of movies nor even have any involvement or even presences outside of mobile games which is too centralized without having the effort to branch out on other platform which might be considered 'lazy' which I pretty much dislike from a company as how come they're deserving to be in Smash because they are your childhood maker when they literally wipe away all of them
I would argue Candy Crush and Angry Birds are the two most known mobile games that exist.
And... just because you don't find it to be of quality, that's really just an opinion. Angry Birds is known to an entire audience who aren't self stated gamers. The characters are nearly Looney Tunes. And it could even be argued to be educational with how it deals with physics.

Last edited:

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
Here’s my take on the game awards and a potential reveal:
For last year, why would Nintendo advertise the same product being the Super Smash Bros Ultimate Fighters Pass twice in a row? I don’t recall a single time where TGA adverted the same product twice, sure we got trailers for BOTW twice in a row but those are in different entities, the game and the expansion pass.
I feel that it would make more sense to have a reveal this year than it would have last year at the game awards because essentially they would be advertising a different product being Fighters Pass Vol 2.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's 'cause the entire game is about him ceasing to be a jerk who doesn't make friends with people. The headphones are an in-universe excuse not to have conversations and out-of-universe symbolism for his jerk-ness. And he wasn't exactly expecting to get into fights, he just kinda did.
It's also a justification for one of the best OSTs in gaming so the headphones are objectively amazing

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
For last year, why would Nintendo advertise the same product being the Super Smash Bros Ultimate Fighters Pass twice in a row? I don’t recall a single time where TGA adverted the same product twice, sure we got trailers for BOTW twice in a row but those are in different entities, the game and the expansion pass.
I feel that it would make more sense to have a reveal this year than it would have last year at the game awards because essentially they would be advertising a different product being Fighters Pass Vol 2.
...why is an expansion of a game, BotW, different than a fighters pass- which is an expansion of a game?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
For last year, why would Nintendo advertise the same product being the Super Smash Bros Ultimate Fighters Pass twice in a row?
This is the same company that advertised Dragon Quest XI with the exact same trailer for like, 15 Directs in a row, so if they wanted to be annoying with their advertising frequency, they can and there's precedent for it.

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
...why is an expansion of a game, BotW, different than a fighters pass- which is an expansion of a game?
When did I ever say that?

This is the same company that advertised Dragon Quest XI with the exact same trailer for like, 15 Directs in a row, so if they wanted to be annoying with their advertising frequency, they can and there's precedent for it.
Except this wouldn’t be a Nintendo Direct, most companies including Nintendo would only have like two things to show at most for each year.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Out of curiosity does Fortnite have any sort of presence at all in Japan?
CoroCoro Readers Vote Fornite and Pokemon as Best 2020 Game Series (siliconera.com)

To be Fair, Fighter Pass 2 Has never been advertised at the TGA's before. that was Fighter Pass 1

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
When did I ever say that?
It's not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom