• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This is forgetting that Alphadream and the Mario & Luigi series existed. Not only that, Square Enix made Super Mario RPG. Intelligent Systems made the Paper Mario games and Camelot made the Mario sports series. Those were all Mario spin-offs of the same calibre as Mario & Rabbids, no guest appearances mentioned in any of them. Outside of the Mario series you have Retro Studios handling Metroid Prime and the Donkey Kong Country series, Sega with F-Zero GX and Platinum Games with Star Fox Zero.

I may have missed some but Nintendo handing Mario down to a company to make a spin-off isn't exactly anything new.
You did miss some for sure (Koei Tecmo was already mentioned before, and Cadence of Hyrule quickly comes to mind).
But the thing is... you're sort of backing up the idea that Ubisoft actually will get a character.
Intelligent Systems, Retro, and Camelot are second party. Square Enix has several characters.
The outlier in your list is... Ubisoft.

EDIT: I stand corrected. They own Retro, but don't seem to own IS or Camelot.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
You could make that argument about basically any video game character even. Plenty of franchises have had their fanbases say intact even in droughts.

Except it has not really. I hate to remind you of basic history, but his fan demand was at its highest...during 2015. When everyone said the character made so much sense and the Omni leak made people think about Rayman. I could name characters that actually have seen spikes in their fan demand, such as Heavy for some reason.
He's been scoring higher on multiple fan pos like the sourcegaming one pointed out above, the twitter campaign is the most followed smash campaign with over 5000 followers (people can say what they want about twitter but it has way more active users than this site) he's been showing up in youtube videos for people's most wanted more and more.

You can be smug all ya want calling it "basic history" and what not but you're still wrong

7NATOR

Smash Master
It's also the gift that keeps on giving.
We don't need another ballot.
I guess technically there's no need for a Ballot

But I think another Ballot would be good. Smash Ultimate is the best selling Fighting game and Smash of all time, so New Fans come to the game and such, so they can vote and such.

Maybe they could make the Smash Ballot like an Election for Government officials and have it every Few set of years, like we could have a Ballot every 2 years, every 4 years, etc

EDIT: Also this is the best time too since Veterans wouldn't be Siphoning votes from Potential Newcomers

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
A big problem with that is the fact that Just Dance makes extensive use of licensed songs, something Nintendo might not be willing to pay for. Seeing as Just Dance revolves around music, I have a hard time seeing it happen because of that.
Just Dance also makes alot of originals songs for this reason however

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Don’t underestimate just dance, it is a major boost for nintendo’s relationship and no doubt sold alot of systems for nintendo
I've played it a lot in isolation the past few months. For sure.
I do wonder how the other new game, Just Sing, works on the Switch... as there is no Mic.
I guess technically there's no need for a Ballot

But I think another Ballot would be good. Smash Ultimate is the best selling Fighting game and Smash of all time, so New Fans come to the game and such, so they can vote and such.

Maybe they could make the Smash Ballot like an Election for Government officials and have it every Few set of years, like we could have a Ballot every 2 years, every 4 years, etc

EDIT: Also this is the best time too since Veterans wouldn't be Siphoning votes from Potential Newcomers
It's not that I don't see the value in a new poll. I do.
But I think it is outweighed by the resources.
Unless it is formatted in a way that a computer can derive the result, the the ballot requires human to scan through them, in each language it is in which it is available.
I'd much rather those people just make several more echo fighters. Or a new mode. Or something else.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Unless it is formatted in a way that a computer can derive the result, the the ballot requires human to scan through them, in each language it is in which it is available.
I'd much rather those people just make several more echo fighters. Or a new mode. Or something else.
How does that make any sense?

People aren't statistics you can assign to any position or role. A person that speaks a different language and records ballot results in that language isn't going to be the person that is developing, modelling, animating, or or coding characters.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also Looking at Starbot's Profile Picture, I just realized something

I think Richter and Min-Min are very good examples of Appealing to the Home Fanbase of a Franchise added to Smash

Richter and Min-Min I believe weren't requested much before they got in (or in Min-Min's case, when ARMS Character was announced), but Simon and Spring Man were. Simon got in of course, but so did Richter, and Min-Min got in over Springman

Now in ARMS Case, Min-Min got in because Creator wanted her, but Sakurai was already thinking of her and Ninjara, and Coincidently they happened to be Number one and Number Two on that Crash Bash thing.

I know one of the Common predictions is Tales Of, and with the Main Fanbase Yuri is the Most Popular, but Lloyd is most Popular with Smash Fans and Nintendo Fans (though with Vesperia on Switch and Not Symphonia yet that could be different).

Lloyd still more Favored though, and It's understandable why, but Thinking about it is there more to this Story than meets the eye?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Unless Nintendo actually shows us the results and commits to adding the ACTUAL winner (or at least explain why higher ranking characters got skipped), I don't want another ballot.

I hate how they handled the orginal ballot in Smash 4, and I really wish they would've explained that the ballot would possibly be used as a reference for future Smash games. Ultimately, it did nothing for Smash 4 except possibly get us a King K. Rool Mii costume. Bayo was already finalized, regardless of whether or not Bayo got a decent number of votes in the ballot.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Unless Nintendo actually shows us the results and commits to adding the ACTUAL winner (or at least explain why higher ranking characters got skipped), I don't want another ballot.

Didn't they originally said that the ballot was only for one character? There was no obligation from them to add "higher ranking characters".

I hate how they handled the orginal ballot in Smash 4, and I really wish they would've explained that the ballot would possibly be used as a reference for future Smash games. Ultimately, it did nothing for Smash 4 except possibly get us a King K. Rool Mii costume. Bayo was already finalized, regardless of whether or not Bayo got a decent number of votes in the ballot.
They literally said that it would be use as a reference in future smash games when they announced it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Didn't they originally said that the ballot was only for one character? There was no obligation from them to add "higher ranking characters".
I question the purpose of having a ballot and insinuating that it would influence the DLC if you’re just gonna skip 10, 20, maybe even 30 characters who may have done better and just pick a character you personally wanted.

And that's pretty much what they did anyway. If there were files for Bayo dated only a few days after the announcement of the ballot, then they likely already negotiated for her long before then. If true, then did Bayo's ranking on the ballot ever really matter?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
They literally said that it would be use as a reference in future smash games when they announced it.
I swear people actively ignore this tidbit all the time and whine about how the ballot gave us nothing despite a good 10+ characters getting influenced by it
6 minutes in and Iwata literally mentions 'additional titles'

7NATOR

Smash Master
The Ballot was why we even Got Ultimate anyway, Cause Veterans did really good on it, and I'd say besides Incineroar (and Maybe Ken as well), All of Base Roster Newcomers and Echoes were influenced by the Ballot as well

I think the Bad thing about the ballot is it Probably should have Said it only affects the Next Potential Title. I think some people voted thinking it only applied to Smash 4, So Potentially Assists and Bosses and other NPCs got shafted in Votes

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The Ballot was why we even Got Ultimate anyway, Cause Veterans did really good on it, and I'd say besides Incineroar (and Maybe Ken as well), All of Base Roster Newcomers and Echoes were influenced by the Ballot as well

I think the Bad thing about the ballot is it Probably should have Said it only affects the Next Potential Title. I think some people voted thinking it only applied to Smash 4, So Potentially Assists and Bosses and other NPCs got shafted in Votes
I don't think so in terms of Inkling, Daisy, the Belmonts, and Isabelle. I think that Daisy got in because she was an easy echo, Inkling and Isabelle got in because they were big name new Nintendo icons, and the Belmonts were added because of Sakurai's own presumption of what the fans wanted to see.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I don't think so in terms of Inkling, Daisy, the Belmonts, and Isabelle. I think that Daisy got in because she was an easy echo, Inkling and Isabelle got in because they were big name new Nintendo icons, and the Belmonts were added because of Sakurai's own presumption of what the fans wanted to see.
I think Inkling would have gotten in anyway, but I do think they were popular on the Ballot as well, and that was a Cherry on top

Isabelle might have also gotten in as well anyway, but I do think Ballot helped her out more as well. I'd say she probably was popular with Women and Girls and Animal Crossing fans. there was a Reason the Ballot asked for Gender

I think Castlvania as a whole also did have some demand on there as well. I think Simon/Richter in Particular was Sakurai own choice though. He could have went with Alucard after all

Daisy was Most Certainly Popular Request. her being easy to Create sealed the Deal, but She would not have gotten in if People did not want to see her

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think Inkling would have gotten in anyway, but I do think they were popular on the Ballot as well, and that was a Cherry on top

Isabelle might have also gotten in as well anyway, but I do think Ballot helped her out more as well. I'd say she probably was popular with Women and Girls and Animal Crossing fans. there was a Reason the Ballot asked for Gender

I think Castlvania as a whole also did have some demand on there as well. I think Simon/Richter in Particular was Sakurai own choice though. He could have went with Alucard after all

Daisy was Most Certainly Popular Request. her being easy to Create sealed the Deal, but She would not have gotten in if People did not want to see her
Daisy wasn't, if she was she would have been more unique.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
He's been scoring higher on multiple fan pos like the sourcegaming one pointed out above, the twitter campaign is the most followed smash campaign with over 5000 followers (people can say what they want about twitter but it has way more active users than this site) he's been showing up in youtube videos for people's most wanted more and more.

You can be smug all ya want calling it "basic history" and what not but you're still wrong
Considering that you somehow think Rayman is not less likely now than in Smash 4 and that characters are not affected by time at all, I think you are a lost cause at this point. This is gonna be my last post replying to you.

Congratulations, his twitter campaign has a few followers, so what. I could make an argument that fan demand does not matter as much for dlc right now anyway. Considering only 1 out of our 7 dlc characters we can say for sure came from the ballot, I think that is safe to say. The fact of the matter still stands. Rayman had way more going for him in 2015 than he does now. The franchise is dead right now. His franchise bombed in Japan. If there ever was a time he could overcome it, maybe it would be gasp when a relatively new game that was talked about a lot pre wii u launch came out! But oh wait he did not get in.

Youtube clap wishlists clap dont' clap matter. If YT wishlists mattered for DLC, our DLC lineup would be way different both for Smash 4 and for this game. Just because nutterbutterfan73 wants Rayman does not mean he is getting in. All that means is, surprise, Rayman is wanted by some people.

I have said this countless times on this site and I will say it again, fan demand is not an end all be all, especially for DLC. Just because a character is reasonably popular does not mean they are going to be super likely. You need evidence to support the argument of Rayman getting in smash.

Let me see what evidence you have suggested...
-He is popular, youtubers and twitter want him so hes popular, fan polls say he is popular

Ok, so you have no evidence outside of "popularity".

Now let me lay out every single piece of evidence that he is not likely.
-The Rayman Franchise is in a dormant state right now. Outside of phone runners, the last game he got was Legends. In 2013. Having your franchise stay dormant after its revival is not a good look.
-His franchise bombed hard in Japan. I know this might be hard for you to understand, but Smash tends to have a wee bit of a Japanese tilt. Wonder why /s. We only have two Western characters in Smash as of this writing. One of which has been requested since Melee in no small part due to Rare being very core to Nintendo's history and the other is from the literal biggest game of all time. If a Western character is going to get in, they have some big hurdles to get over compared to their Japanese counterparts. Keep in mind I am more of a Western character optimist compared to others on this form, but the hurdles can't be overstated.
-For Rayman, it seems that at least one party is apprehensive to making him playable for two games in a row. He was only a trophy in Smash 4 and a spirit in Ultimate. While Spirits do not deconfirm, it still ain't a great look going forward considering...
-We got Ubisoft Mii Costumes in January. I personally am championing Costume theory right now mainly because it has not been wrong up to this point. Getting costumes outside of your fighter pass from your company ain't a good sign.

Now, let's see if we can do some basic logic. The Rayman franchise has seen better days, bombed hard in Japan, is a western property, we got ubisoft mii costumes, at it seems at least one party is a bit resistant to including him on one hand. On the other hand, he is "popular". It would seem that, surprise, I have more evidence in my corner. I tend to be smug when I am arguing with people that are not only bad at arguing, but think that they are good at it. You offered zero evidence for your first claim that "oh characters do not miss the boat with smash games", then moved the goalpost when someone else called you out on it. In case you forgot, I will remind you of three examples, just three. Isaac in Brawl, Elma in Smash 4 DLC, Krystal in Brawl. Then you call me a liar when I say that Rayman's overall demand has remained steady from Smash 4 at best. In general, he is around the spot he was in terms of demand, at least in the west. While the numbers might have shifted more for him, the easier explanation is that we have smash on not the wii u.

Next time you try to debate me, maybe consider having an argument beyond just "he's popular". Then again, it might be easier for you to accept his deluxe Mii Brawler costume at some point this pass than accept that you are terrible at debating.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Daisy wasn't, if she was she would have been more unique.
Daisy Most Certainly Was though. I haven't kept up, but People wanted to see Daisy just like People want to see Waluigi. Daisy did have the Issue of her being very Similiar to Peach, so I think that's why Waluigi was more popular, but Daisy was Also popular

Daisy probably would have been an echo because Sakurai proably sees her that way. I don't think she should be so Similiar to Peach, but it is what it is

If you notice, all of the Echo Fighters were Popular Requests or just Popular in their Franchise. People wanted to see Chrom, even though Sakurai said Chrom would be too Similiar to Ike and Marth combination, and he got in as Echo of Roy. Same Deal with Dark Samus, Richter, and Ken

None of the Echoes were unpopular characters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's not that I don't see the value in a new poll. I do.
But I think it is outweighed by the resources.
How does that make any sense?

People aren't statistics you can assign to any position or role. A person that speaks a different language and records ballot results in that language isn't going to be the person that is developing, modelling, animating, or or coding characters.
Because each of those people earns a salary, and there is a budget Nintendo puts on any product- a programmer is not someone in research and development, but they use up the same budget.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Considering that you somehow think Rayman is not less likely now than in Smash 4 and that characters are not affected by time at all, I think you are a lost cause at this point. This is gonna be my last post replying to you.

Congratulations, his twitter campaign has a few followers, so what. I could make an argument that fan demand does not matter as much for dlc right now anyway. Considering only 1 out of our 7 dlc characters we can say for sure came from the ballot, I think that is safe to say. The fact of the matter still stands. Rayman had way more going for him in 2015 than he does now. The franchise is dead right now. His franchise bombed in Japan. If there ever was a time he could overcome it, maybe it would be gasp when a relatively new game that was talked about a lot pre wii u launch came out! But oh wait he did not get in.

Youtube clap wishlists clap dont' clap matter. If YT wishlists mattered for DLC, our DLC lineup would be way different both for Smash 4 and for this game. Just because nutterbutterfan73 wants Rayman does not mean he is getting in. All that means is, surprise, Rayman is wanted by some people.

I have said this countless times on this site and I will say it again, fan demand is not an end all be all, especially for DLC. Just because a character is reasonably popular does not mean they are going to be super likely. You need evidence to support the argument of Rayman getting in smash.

-He is popular, youtubers and twitter want him so hes popular, fan polls say he is popular

-The Rayman Franchise is in a dormant state right now. Outside of phone runners, the last game he got was Legends. In 2013. Having your franchise stay dormant after its revival is not a good look.
-His franchise bombed hard in Japan. I know this might be hard for you to understand, but Smash tends to have a wee bit of a Japanese tilt. Wonder why /s. We only have two Western characters in Smash as of this writing. One of which has been requested since Melee in no small part due to Rare being very core to Nintendo's history and the other is from the literal biggest game of all time. If a Western character is going to get in, they have some big hurdles to get over compared to their Japanese counterparts. Keep in mind I am more of a Western character optimist compared to others on this form, but the hurdles can't be overstated.
-For Rayman, it seems that at least one party is apprehensive to making him playable for two games in a row. He was only a trophy in Smash 4 and a spirit in Ultimate. While Spirits do not deconfirm, it still ain't a great look going forward considering...
-We got Ubisoft Mii Costumes in January. I personally am championing Costume theory right now mainly because it has not been wrong up to this point. Getting costumes outside of your fighter pass from your company ain't a good sign.

Now, let's see if we can do some basic logic. The Rayman franchise has seen better days, bombed hard in Japan, is a western property, we got ubisoft mii costumes, at it seems at least one party is a bit resistant to including him on one hand. On the other hand, he is "popular". It would seem that, surprise, I have more evidence in my corner. I tend to be smug when I am arguing with people that are not only bad at arguing, but think that they are good at it. You offered zero evidence for your first claim that "oh characters do not miss the boat with smash games", then moved the goalpost when someone else called you out on it. In case you forgot, I will remind you of three examples, just three. Isaac in Brawl, Elma in Smash 4 DLC, Krystal in Brawl. Then you call me a liar when I say that Rayman's overall demand has remained steady from Smash 4 at best. In general, he is around the spot he was in terms of demand, at least in the west. While the numbers might have shifted more for him, the easier explanation is that we have smash on not the wii u.

Next time you try to debate me, maybe consider having an argument beyond just "he's popular". Then again, it might be easier for you to accept his deluxe Mii Brawler costume at some point this pass than accept that you are terrible at debating.
Bruh you could just say you don't like him instead of writing me a book

My point still stands that his support has gone up

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If I recall correctly, they even left out 'Smash,' and just said future games/titles.
Bruhhhhh

what if Fiora and Chrom being in Project X Zone 2 was thanks in part to the ballot and they just threw Lucina in as well for good measure?? Source: I literally voted for Fiora during the ballot

...nah just kidding.

unless? 👀

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
lmao, not only Just Sing was only for Xbox One and PS4, it was a one off thing and lasted for a few months before being retired
We are actually talking about different games.
Yeah Just Sing was then- but the one I must have meant is Let's Sing.

I didn't know about it until I saw the new one for 2021 on my Switch eshop a week ago.

Apparently it requires the use of your phone.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
When it Comes to Ninjas in Smash, Scorpion is More Likely character than Ryu Hayabusa, and I see Nintendo going for Scorpion over Ryu Hayabusa

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
When it Comes to Ninjas in Smash, Scorpion is More Likely character than Ryu Hayabusa, and I see Nintendo going for Scorpion over Ryu Hayabusa
You forgot the part where MK has virtually no presence in Japan due to its games being rated CERO Z (strict 18+ only)

CERO Z games are usually not popular at all there lol

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

The salt is radiating from every word of this ridiculous novella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom