• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I want to be in a Debate war as well...
-Find a character this thread hates
-Say they're likey or say alot of people want em in

Follow those steps and you're golden!
When it Comes to Ninjas in Smash, Scorpion is More Likely character than Ryu Hayabusa, and I see Nintendo going for Scorpion over Ryu Hayabusa
You forgot the part where MK has virtually no presence in Japan due to its games being rated CERO Z (strict 18+ only)

CERO Z games are usually not popular at all there lol
“Mission Accomplished”:ultsnake:

7NATOR

Smash Master
You forgot the part where MK has virtually no presence in Japan due to its games being rated CERO Z (strict 18+ only)

Even Still, I Think Scorpion will get in IN SPITE of MK's Relationship with Japan

Mortal Kombat very Iconic, Ed Boon want it in Smash, LARGE History with Nintendo, Nintendo themselves wanted MK11 when WB Games was aprehensive of the Idea. Top 5 Game of 2019, Top 1 on April and May of 2019, when FP2 was being decided

Also Appeals to more mature audience, like Joker but larger deal

And also Japan only makes up 3.8 Million sales of 20+ Million. North America, and Europe make up The Majority of the Rest.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
He's currently writing "Rayman, The Never Ever Character" as we speak, rumored to give the Lord of the Rings books a run for their money in length!
Gonna be interesting to see him stretch "The characters I want all have a really good chance and the ones I don't want are all unlikely" into a full length novel but I'm here for it

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
“Mission Accomplished”:ultsnake:
Dissapointed that his reply arguement doesn't take 30 minutes to read. Amateur stuff
Even Still, I Think Scorpion will get in IN SPITE of MK's Relationship with Japan

Mortal Kombat very Iconic, Ed Boon want it in Smash, LARGE History with Nintendo, Nintendo themselves wanted MK11 when WB Games was aprehensive of the Idea. Top 5 Game of 2019, Top 1 on April and May of 2019, when FP2 was being decided

And also Japan only makes up 3.8 Million sales of 20+ Million. North America, and Europe make up The Majority of the Rest.
Nah man, not popular in Japan means it's literally never gonna happen! (According to this thread at least)

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m in the party that people underestimate the possibility of Rayman dramatically just because he hasn’t had a game in a couple of years. That just seems like there’s some kind of selection initiative where it says: you have to have had a game recently, it had to have sold well, you have to be iconic, you have to be known worldwide, etc, etc. which we all know just ain’t true.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Popularity and iconicness mean nothing, if they did then Resident Evil would have gotten a character instead of a Spirit Event. It is literally the most profitable Japanese video game IP that doesn't have a character in Smash right now.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I’m in the party that people underestimate the possibility of Rayman dramatically just because he hasn’t had a game in a couple of years. That just seems like there’s some kind of selection initiative where it says: you have to have had a game recently, it had to have sold well, you have to be iconic, you have to be known worldwide, etc, etc. which we all know just ain’t true.
King^^^

I know not everyone will think Rayman is likely which is fine, but some of the agruments here are just trying to hard to make it seem like he'll literally never happen in any game, or just arguements that straight up aren't true.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Popularity and iconicness mean nothing, if they did then Resident Evil would have gotten a character instead of a Spirit Event. It is literally the most profitable Japanese video game IP that doesn't have a character in Smash right now.
Resident Evil did get Murked with Spirits in spite of all that

If Mortal Kombat being Iconic was the only thing I thought it had in it's Favor, I woulnd't be so Confident in it, But I'll post the Full list for you and others (Like Perkilator Perkilator )

-MK11 Top 5 Selling game of 2019
-Nintendo Insisted that WB Games put MK11 On switch when WB was apprehensive of the Idea. Nintendo said there was an Audience for Mortal Kombat
-MK11 Was number 1 in charts for April and May I believe. this was around the Time FP2 was being decided
-Ed Boon been mentioning about Mortal Kombat X Smash since 2015 I believe. He does it from time from time, like in 2018. No Mention of Mortal Kombat X Smash in 2019 or 2020
-SSBU Ultimate Twitter account did a Poll asking fans whether they prefer Scorpion or Sub-Zero in Smash. Scorpion won. I forgot what year it was, but it was either Early 2018 or Early 2019
-VERY Good Nintendo History.
-Ed Boon was interviewed on Mortal Kombat in Smash. Gave answer that did not Implicate Mortal Kombat Content in Smash, or No Mortal Kombat Content in Smash. Different from Doomguy, Tracer, Ryza Interviews
-Arc System Spirits, but Sol and Ragna Still missing might imply more content from them. Fighting Game costumes come with Fighting Game characters, which Scorpion is
-Mortal Kombat Very Iconic
-Ed Boon wanted Mortal Kombat Vs Street Fighter. A Game based around it might not work, but Smash could be the Perfect Place for it
-Smash Sells Majorly in the West over Japan. Japan only covered around 3-4 Million of the 20+ Million Sales of Ultimate. Place like North America and Europe Cover most of the Rest
-Mortal Kombat is Iconic in The West, and Honestly Pretty much anywhere that's not Japan, or perhaps any Eastern Place
-Mortal Kombat bring more Mature Audience to Smash. Kind of like Joker, except Mortal Kombat is Much Bigger Franchise (in West)
-Scorpion being a fighting game character means it be easy to Visualize and Conceptualize a Moveset

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Bruh you could just say you don't like him instead of writing me a book

My point still stands that his support has gone up
1. I like Rayman. I have supported him since Smash 4. It just is not happening.
2. Don’t be upset that you lost the argument because someone wrote something better than “lol he’s popular”.
3. I love how you say in another post that my arguments are bad when you can’t even refute them other than “bro it’s long”

I hope you are able to play Mii Brawler.
The salt is radiating from every word of this ridiculous novella.
ridiculous
actually has basic evidence for every point
Choose one.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

If Mortal Kombat being Iconic was the only thing I thought it had in it's Favor, I woulnd't be so Confident in it, But I'll post the Full list for you and others (Like Perkilator Perkilator )

-Nintendo Insisted that WB Games put MK11 On switch when WB was apprehensive of the Idea. Nintendo said there was an Audience for Mortal Kombat
-MK11 Was number 1 in charts for April and May I believe. this was around the Time FP2 was being decided
-Ed Boon been mentioning about Mortal Kombat X Smash since 2015 I believe. He does it from time from time, like in 2018. No Mention of Mortal Kombat X Smash in 2019 or 2020
-SSBU Ultimate Twitter account did a Poll asking fans whether they prefer Scorpion or Sub-Zero in Smash. Scorpion won. I forgot what year it was, but it was either Early 2018 or Early 2019
-Ed Boon was interviewed on Mortal Kombat in Smash. Gave answer that did not Implicate Mortal Kombat Content in Smash, or No Mortal Kombat Content in Smash. Different from Doomguy, Tracer, Ryza Interviews
-Arc System Spirits, but Sol and Ragna Still missing might imply more content from them. Fighting Game costumes come with Fighting Game characters, which Scorpion is
-Ed Boon wanted Mortal Kombat Vs Street Fighter. A Game based around it might not work, but Smash could be the Perfect Place for it
-Smash Sells Majorly in the West over Japan. Japan only covered around 3-4 Million of the 20+ Million Sales of Ultimate. Place like North America and Europe Cover most of the Rest
-Mortal Kombat is Iconic in The West, and Honestly Pretty much anywhere that's not Japan, or perhaps any Eastern Place
-Mortal Kombat bring more Mature Audience to Smash. Kind of like Joker, except Mortal Kombat is Much Bigger Franchise (in West)
-Scorpion being a fighting game character means it be easy to Visualize and Conceptualize a Moveset
The series suffers thanks to intense violence and gore, lack of notoriety in Japan, and this pass appearing to be more kid-friendly than FP1.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
2. Don’t be upset that you lost the argument because someone wrote something better than “lol he’s popular”.

Choose one.
If you have to keep telling your opponent they lost just to reassure yourself that you won then I got some bad news for you bub

7NATOR

Smash Master
The series suffers thanks to intense violence and gore, lack of notoriety in Japan, and this pass appearing to be more kid-friendly than FP1.
Can I Just say I Like your Straight to the Point attitude with your Posts. You Speak your mind and just put the Opinon and Facts out there

Anyway Injustice shows MK Characters can work without the Gore. Fatalities can also be in Smash. Now they won't be dismembering Mario, but we could have Something like Toasty Work in the Context of Smash. Mortal Kombat can also be very Silly and Campy at times.

Japan is a Little Aware of Mortal Kombat. there's people that import the games and the Older Trilogy games were avaliable. I do agree this is something to consider, but I say Scorpion can get in Spite of all of this

The Pass Appears to be more kid-Friendly, but there always could be a Plot Twist. also in any Case alot of Kids Play Mortal Kombat anyway. Not only will it attract Mature Audience, it also Attracts kids.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm not confident in those arguments either, there's still a point to be made that Rayman's been NPC content for two straight games (so far at least). It's one of those extremely strange positions where clearly Ubisoft's gotten somewhere in the negotiations... but not far enough if you count playable status only. The Altair Mii costume (with Ezio's Family as Altair's trailer theme) further implies that Nintendo / Ubisoft have not moved the needle much, which makes me less confident in Ubisoft's chances overall.

It's anyone's guess what the hold-up is really. I'm not saying it's an impossibility, but I'm not betting on Rayman making an appearance in FP2. Could it happen? Sure, but that would be a major surprise for me personally. Similarily, the seemingly stalled position Ubisoft has at the moment has made me less inclined to think Prince of Persia has a major shot too.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If we do get another fighting game character I'm putting my money on Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Trolling
If you have to keep telling your opponent they lost just to reassure yourself that you won then I got some bad news for you bub
You literally failed to refute any of my arguments, probably because each of those points is based in actual fact. I’m sorry I hurt your feelings so bad your last four posts or so in this thread have been about how butthurt you are that I said Rayman ain’t happening.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I thought this was one of those things that gets misreported, and that some of the games are available in Japan.

Also.... I don't understand this vitriol against thinking Rayman has a pretty decent shot. Particularly the blatant aggression in is many posts saying nothing but trying to make fun of that user defending him. It's not as if majority of conversation in here isn't both sides of any coin just trying to justify how they feel.
Rayman was more popular in 2015. Probably for sure. That's also when popularity actually mattered the most.
There are also other points that could be made regarding the Ubisoft version of Siri changing their post, Ubisoft being one of the only 3rd party trophies in Sm4sh, the mentioning of Smash on a Ubisoft questionnaire, the uniqueness of the character, him still being the mascot of Ubisoft (even if not the most popular game anymore)...

I'm not saying he is in, but I've seen some of the people aggressing towards this user in a personal way, who have supported nonsense leaks- which are surely less accurate than some of what I've mentioned above.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
3. I love how you say in another post that my arguments are bad when you can’t even refute them other than “bro it’s long”

I hope you are able to play Mii Brawler.

Choose one.
Well, you can’t really “lose” or “win” a subjective debate. Like, honestly I feel like Rayman is quite likely due to Nintendo and Ubi’s constant collaborations. The fact that they’re dodging around what is easily considered the most popular Ubi character with the Mii Costumes for their other properties so your Mii Costume point doesn’t make sense.

Another thing you pointed out was the Mii Costumes in FP1 but that was FP1. Who’s to say that those weren’t already planned at the beginning of Pass 1 but Rayman was planned for Pass 2 at the beginning of Pass 2? It’s all speculative.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
You literally failed to refute any of my arguments, probably because each of those points is based in actual fact. I’m sorry I hurt your feelings so bad your last four posts or so in this thread have been about how butthurt you are that I said Rayman ain’t happening.
Or maybe at the end of the day, smash is a videogame and I ain't gonna read 4 screenshots worth of seething rambling over it but you do you.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The Nintendo your talking about is Nintendo of America which is only a marketing division. They don't have a say in who gets into Smash Bros, only Nintendo of Japan does.

Other than that, I agree with mostly everything on that list, some are little irrelevant to Scorpion chances in Smash but the points are solid.

7NATOR

Smash Master
The Nintendo your talking about is Nintendo of America which is only a marketing division. They don't have a say in who gets into Smash Bros, only Nintendo of Japan does.

Other than that, I agree with mostly everything on that list, some are little irrelevant to Scorpion chances in Smash but the points are solid.
Are you sure about this? I Mean I don't exactly know either, But I don't know if NOA could be completely Counted out

I think one thing that stook with me was that Reggie said he'd talk to Sakurai about Waluigi in Smash. Reggie was NOA President at the time. Now granted I think it's different scenraios but I wouldn't be surprised if NOA was at least at the Discussion Table

They Might have more insight into more of North America side of Nintendo than NOJ. Of course you said it was just Marketing Division So I don;t know

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I'll add to this.

As a media franchise, MK (thanks in part to television, media, toys, and more) are above any other fighting franchise not in Smash, and many other games in or out of it still.

More importantly, Mortal Kombat is one of the (if not the) biggest reasons the ESRB was created in 1994- with US Senate hearings in 1993- which was also almost a decade before CERO was even founded.

Talk about gaming legacy!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Or maybe at the end of the day, smash is a videogame and I ain't gonna read 4 screenshots worth of seething rambling over it but you do you.
It’s ok to admit you lost ^_^, just admit that you have no arguments outside of he’s popular and you like him. If it’s easier for you not to read 4 paragraphs than to accept that it’s all good.

It’s not my fault your hill to die on is a character that’s gonna be a cool deluxe Mii Brawler costume. If ya wanna ignore all the evidence against one of your most wanted characters I won’t stop you when this pass inevitably disappoints you.

If we do get another fighting game character I'm putting my money on Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear.
Good choice. The music selection would be hype.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Key word "Usually". Like Dead Space was CERO Z and wasn't sold in Japan. Didn't stop it from getting a noticeably big following in Japan to the point where it has dedicated wikis made to translate the entire series to Japanese and, apparently, a very popular speech meme in the form of Isaac's helmet.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It’s ok to admit you lost ^_^, just admit that you have no arguments outside of he’s popular and you like him. If it’s easier for you not to read 4 paragraphs than to accept that it’s all good.

It’s not my fault your hill to die on is a character that’s gonna be a cool deluxe Mii Brawler costume. If ya wanna ignore all the evidence against one of your most wanted characters I won’t stop you when this pass inevitably disappoints you.

Good choice. The music selection would be hype.
Well, you can’t really “lose” or “win” a subjective debate. Like, honestly I feel like Rayman is quite likely due to Nintendo and Ubi’s constant collaborations. The fact that they’re dodging around what is easily considered the most popular Ubi character with the Mii Costumes for their other properties so your Mii Costume point doesn’t make sense.

Another thing you pointed out was the Mii Costumes in FP1 but that was FP1. Who’s to say that those weren’t already planned at the beginning of Pass 1 but Rayman was planned for Pass 2 at the beginning of Pass 2? It’s all speculative.
Also.... I don't understand this vitriol against thinking Rayman has a pretty decent shot. Particularly the blatant aggression in is many posts saying nothing but trying to make fun of that user defending him. It's not as if majority of conversation in here isn't both sides of any coin just trying to justify how they feel.
Rayman was more popular in 2015. Probably for sure. That's also when popularity actually mattered the most.
There are also other points that could be made regarding the Ubisoft version of Siri changing their post, Ubisoft being one of the only 3rd party trophies in Sm4sh, the mentioning of Smash on a Ubisoft questionnaire, the uniqueness of the character, him still being the mascot of Ubisoft (even if not the most popular game anymore)...

I'm not saying he is in, but I've seen some of the people aggressing towards this user in a personal way, who have supported nonsense leaks- which are surely less accurate than some of what I've mentioned above.
@TCT
Are you looking to troll or are you looking to respond to concrete information?

EDIT: As I posted, y'all were asked to stop. So I'll leave it done- or suggest you just create a private chat for anyone who wants to discuss it further.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
As I watch the world burn, as I watch outcries of #SaveMelee and leaks about how Nintendo intentionally sabotaged Project M, I can only ask...

So how 'bout them Game Awards?
I still dont understand why they are called The Game Awards and not The Video Game Awards, if they only care about video games.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I didn't know there was a Mortal Kombat movie coming out next year.

Boy, between that, and the yesterday revealed, cartoony classic version of Lara Croft in Tom Raider Reloaded, this thread should be swarming over them being in. Every breeze of the wind sets half the forum off. I bet they would be given more attention if they were RPGs.

....Legitimately though, that is two cartoon versions of Lara Croft back to back, including her appearance in Brawlhalla. I do hope she is in.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Are you sure about this? I Mean I don't exactly know either, But I don't know if NOA could be completely Counted out

I think one thing that stook with me was that Reggie said he'd talk to Sakurai about Waluigi in Smash. Reggie was NOA President at the time. Now granted I think it's different scenraios but I wouldn't be surprised if NOA was at least at the Discussion Table

They Might have more insight into more of North America side of Nintendo than NOJ. Of course you said it was just Marketing Division So I don;t know
Nintendo of America don't make games. They only translate and market them out. Yes Reggie said that "Mr. Sakurai will be aware of the groundswell of support that appeared for a Waluigi" but then you have to remember that Nintendo of Japan are handling the Fighters Pass selection so his words really all amount to nothing. On top of that, you have the language barrier so that would be a problem too.

SKX31

Smash Master
As I watch the world burn, as I watch outcries of #SaveMelee and leaks about how Nintendo intentionally sabotaged Project M, I can only ask...

So how 'bout them Game Awards?
Might as well discuss TGA, since the allegations about Nintendo intentionally stalling out Smash deals with Twitch etc. have already added gasoline to that inferno. To say that the competitive crowd is pissed off would be a massive understatement.

Standing by my predictions that Crash and Dante are the frontrunners, could see LoL as a dark horse. If a character is A) revealed at TGA in the first place, and B) connected to the awards themselves, both of which are if. If there's a character reveal there but not neccessarily connected to the awards, it's a free for all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom