• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Don’t underestimate just dance, it is a major boost for nintendo’s relationship and no doubt sold alot of systems for nintendo
A big problem with that is the fact that Just Dance makes extensive use of licensed songs, something Nintendo might not be willing to pay for. Seeing as Just Dance revolves around music, I have a hard time seeing it happen because of that.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Pretty much this. I’m sure Ubisoft has wanted Rayman in since Smash 4 base game, but Nintendo’s constantly shafted them. There’s always the chance that they’ve changed their mind, but It just doesn’t seem like Nintendo cares that much.

Also, it’d be really weird to go from Steve to Rayman when it comes to western characters; especially since his Smash popularity has died down a lot. I feel they’ll go for bigger names like Crash, Lara Croft, Master Chief & Dovahkiin before smaller western series like Rayman.
I don't exactly know how many Smash Ultimate polls have been released, but Source Gaming's Mega Smash Poll had Rayman at #6, below Dante, Sora, Doomguy, Geno and Crash. Not bad at all. He's still very popular in Smash speculation.
As for Dante, I feel like Phoenix Wright might be a more likely Capcom character because of the history with Nintendo from 2001 on the GBA in Japan
Eh, if Capcom wants to go with a series with a lot of appearances on Nintendo systems, Monster Hunter seems a bit more preferable over Ace Attorney. It's the overall largest of the three by sales too due to Monster Hunter World's success.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
I don't exactly know how many Smash Ultimate polls have been released, but Source Gaming's Mega Smash Poll had Rayman at #6, below Dante, Sora, Doomguy, Geno and Crash. Not bad at all. He's still very popular in Smash speculation.
Yeah, man! #6 is a great spot to be in! It's within the top 10 most requested characters and #6 is definitely no slouch!
Eh, if Capcom wants to go with a series with a lot of appearances on Nintendo systems, Monster Hunter seems a bit more preferable over Ace Attorney. It's the overall largest of the three by sales too due to Monster Hunter World's success.
I do think the moveset that Byleth was given would have worked so well on a Monster Hunter character just with a few minor adjustments like a move here or there.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Pretty much this. I’m sure Ubisoft has wanted Rayman in since Smash 4 base game, but Nintendo’s constantly shafted them. There’s always the chance that they’ve changed their mind, but It just doesn’t seem like Nintendo cares that much.

Also, it’d be really weird to go from Steve to Rayman when it comes to western characters; especially since his Smash popularity has died down a lot. I feel they’ll go for bigger names like Crash, Lara Croft, Master Chief & Dovahkiin before smaller western series like Rayman.
I thought we had established by now that the "order" of characters is not really a thing, heavy hitters are not necessary saved last etc. The rest of the pass could be characters from the smallest franchises with the littlest popularity for all we know.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
How accurate is SourceGaming's poll? It could be just like any other random Smash polls.
As for Dante, I feel like Phoenix Wright might be a more likely Capcom character because of the history with Nintendo from 2001 on the GBA in Japan
I want Phoenix Wright more myself but history makes flack when we have:ultcloud::ultjoker:

Even then I think Monster Hunter is the most likely Capcom character at this point.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I do think the moveset that Byleth was given would have worked so well on a Monster Hunter character just with a few minor adjustments like a move here or there.
Not really. With the addition of the Wirebug, Monster Hunter hypothetically could work with Byleth's moveset, but that doesn't mean it should. It would mean that iconic weapons like the Greatsword and the Dual Blades are nonexistent, the Lance, Gunlance, or Insect Glaive aren't portrayed correctly, the various traps and items won't see any use, etc. You'd have to take quite a few liberties to make Monster Hunter work with Byleth's moveset, and it would be better to just give them an original moveset that does something completely different rather than shoehorning them into an already-existing one.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Ah fair enough. I just don’t really see people talk him that much anymore. Especially compared to the Smash 4 days where he was one of the top dogs.

I think Rayman would be a cool choice, but I also think he has a big uphill battle to get in.

I thought we had established by now that the "order" of characters is not really a thing, heavy hitters are not necessary saved last etc. The rest of the pass could be characters from the smallest franchises with the littlest popularity for all we know.
For the overall pass? You’re right. But they’re just now beginning to add western characters. We got::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud: before we started getting smaller Japanese third parties. I can definitely see a similar situation happening for western characters, unless one becomes as big as Banjo was. But even then I think Banjo’s special history with Nintendo helped a lot there.

But at the same time, they could do something unexpected & add like Max from Scribblenauts or something that’s smaller.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Not impossible, though it gets less likely as time goes on.

As for who I expect, I honestly can't say. For first parties, I think Rex and Euden are pretty safe bets, though nobody ever talks about the latter. Third parties, though, I'm less certain. I used to think Level-5 was likely, but the recent issues with them make me... concerned, to say the least. Maybe someone from Koei Tecmo or even Nippon Ichi, but honestly... I can't make a safe bet.
I like Euden. I played Dragalia Lost pretty solid for a year and a half. Have enough fire emblem characters to make decent teams with just them. Got Mega Man. It’s a fun game to me. I view it as Nintendo’s version of Gauntlet.

I do not personally agree with Euden being a safe bet and unless:

there’s a Dragalia Lost switch sequel, or Nintendo just does the obvious and puts clients for Mario Run, Dragalia Lost, Fire Emblem Heroes, Mario Kart Tour, Pocket Camp, and any non-ar pokemon app (so masters) on switch that check your nintendo account (and therefore bring everything over). throw controller settings on them all (specifically dragalia and kart) so they can be played in desktop/tv mode and add routine “currency drops” for online subscribers and I see a sustainable model.

I don’t see it ever happening.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Jumping into the Rayman discussion to say that...well, I think that it ain't gonna happen. At best he will be a deluxe mii costume (which tbh I could see happening).

I think part of why I think this is the brutal fact that this might be the last dance for Smash Ultimate stuff (though I will stress that financially, a third pass does makes sense right now). We got Ubisoft costumes as DLC and Rayman spirits in the base game. To me, it seems that Nintendo and Ubisoft have no strong interest in putting the limbless wonder in the game. It does not help that the Rayman franchise has kind of been dormant since Legends, which ain't a good look.

I also had a dream where there was a leak going around called the NARC leak. If this is the pass, I have seen the future. Neku Adol Ryu Hayabusa Crash.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Ah fair enough. I just don’t really see people talk him that much anymore. Especially compared to the Smash 4 days where he was one of the top dogs.

I think Rayman would be a cool choice, but I also think he has a big uphill battle to get in.

For the overall pass? You’re right. But they’re just now beginning to add western characters. We got::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud: before we started getting smaller Japanese third parties. I can definitely see a similar situation happening for western characters, unless one becomes as big as Banjo was. But even then I think Banjo’s special history with Nintendo helped a lot there.

But at the same time, they could do something unexpected & add like Max from Scribblenauts or something that’s smaller.
Honestly, there is some truth to what you said, outside of the "hardcore Smash fanbase" which is the people like us that speculate about new characters and the like Rayman is definitely a popular request, but if we're talking the more casual people that probably know something way more like Halo or whatever else is considered mainstream than yes those characters are more known than Rayman. Still, Rayman is a highly requested pick within the hardcore Smash community.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Jumping into the Rayman discussion to say that...well, I think that it ain't gonna happen. At best he will be a deluxe mii costume (which tbh I could see happening).

I think part of why I think this is the brutal fact that this might be the last dance for Smash Ultimate stuff (though I will stress that financially, a third pass does makes sense right now). We got Ubisoft costumes as DLC and Rayman spirits in the base game. To me, it seems that Nintendo and Ubisoft have no strong interest in putting the limbless wonder in the game. It does not help that the Rayman franchise has kind of been dormant since Legends, which ain't a good look.

I also had a dream where there was a leak going around called the NARC leak. If this is the pass, I have seen the future. Neku Adol Ryu Hayabusa Crash.
Banjo Kazooie hasn't had a new game since 2008, 12 years ago, and he still got in Smash.
1606242819397.png
Rayman can get into Smash too. Also, Ubisoft has commented countless times that they want to get Rayman in Smash so I don't see where this "Nintendo and Ubisoft doesn't have a strong desire to get Rayman into Smash." argument is coming from.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

It has Neku, I’ll accept it

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Banjo Kazooie hasn't had a new game since 2008, 12 years ago, and he still got in Smash.
Rayman can get into Smash too. Also, Ubisoft has commented countless times that they want to get Rayman in Smash so I don't see where this "Nintendo and Ubisoft doesn't have a strong desire to get Rayman into Smash." argument is coming from.
He's however has had more demand since the Melee days. Prior to his announcement, he was up there with:ultkrool:and:ultridley:

Rayman to say was nowhere close to being as requested as those three were.

Don't take this the wrong way, Rayman can still happen but he was nowhere comparable to Banjo, not even close.

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
He's however has had more demand since the Melee days. Prior to his announcement, he was up there with:ultkrool:and:ultridley:

Rayman to say was nowhere close to being as requested as those three were.

Don't take this the wrong way, Rayman can still happen but he was nowhere comparable to Banjo, not even close.
Oh yeah of course. I'm not saying that Rayman was as requested as Banjo, but that characters don't need a new game to be added.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Yeah, but Banjo was one of the most requested characters. Period. Who even had some sort of following in smash. Rayman is a character that has a somewhat decent fan demand in the west (good, but not S tier fan demand) and basically no interest in japan.

Comparing Banjo to Rayman does not make sense at all the deeper you did. It ignores Rare and their time on the N64. It ignores how Banjo was an honorary Nintendo character. It ignores that this character was requested since Melee. Just because Banjo made it in and has been dormant does not mean that Rayman is likely.

Rayman could still feasibly happen. It is not impossible. If anything, I would give it somewhere around 10% chance on a good day. Could it happen? Yes, but the deck is not in your favor.

Oh yeah of course. I'm not saying that Rayman was as requested as Banjo, but that characters don't need a new game to be added.
You also miss the other points, namely the character is not popular at all outside of the west (and even here Rayman ain't as popular as in Smash 4) and that Ubisoft's new content they are getting are just Mii Costumes.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I like Euden. I played Dragalia Lost pretty solid for a year and a half. Have enough fire emblem characters to make decent teams with just them. Got Mega Man. It’s a fun game to me. I view it as Nintendo’s version of Gauntlet.

there’s a Dragalia Lost switch sequel, or Nintendo just does the obvious and puts clients for Mario Run, Dragalia Lost, Fire Emblem Heroes, Mario Kart Tour, Pocket Camp, and any non-ar pokemon app (so masters) on switch that check your nintendo account (and therefore bring everything over). throw controller settings on them all (specifically dragalia and kart) so they can be played in desktop/tv mode and add routine “currency drops” for online subscribers and I see a sustainable model.

Me personally, I feel like adding Euden would help represent Nintendo's desire to get into the mobile market. Despite... mixed results, it seems pretty clear to me that they want to keep at it. Plus, Dragalia Lost holds the honor of being Nintendo's first original IP for mobile, so it has that going for it. I know it's not available in all regions (apparently Europe has some strict gambling laws), but it's not like Mother 3 where the only official version is the Japanese version: Dragalia Lost does, in fact, have a Western presence.

At least, that's my take on it. Feel free to tell me how wrong my opinion is. Being on the internet has made me used to it...

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Yeah, but Banjo was one of the most requested characters. Period. Who even had some sort of following in smash. Rayman is a character that has a somewhat decent fan demand in the west (good, but not S tier fan demand) and basically no interest in japan.

Comparing Banjo to Rayman does not make sense at all the deeper you did. It ignores Rare and their time on the N64. It ignores how Banjo was an honorary Nintendo character. It ignores that this character was requested since Melee. Just because Banjo made it in and has been dormant does not mean that Rayman is likely.

Rayman could still feasibly happen. It is not impossible. If anything, I would give it somewhere around 10% chance on a good day. Could it happen? Yes, but the deck is not in your favor.
10%? That's way too low, he's a very likely candidate to be added. All I'm saying is that a character does not need to have a recent game to be in Smash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Funny, that's actually half of this prediction that was posted a short while back.
I'd say two "safe" picks and two darkhorses seems pretty likely. There's obviously a reason we have our eye on certain characters, but Smash has a penchant for throwing out curveballs (Though not intentionally; We just don't know what goes on behind the scenes).

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Me personally, I feel like adding Euden would help represent Nintendo's desire to get into the mobile market. Despite... mixed results, it seems pretty clear to me that they want to keep at it. Plus, Dragalia Lost holds the honor of being Nintendo's first original IP for mobile, so it has that going for it. I know it's not available in all regions (apparently Europe has some strict gambling laws), but it's not like Mother 3 where the only official version is the Japanese version: Dragalia Lost does, in fact, have a Western presence.

At least, that's my take on it. Feel free to tell me how wrong my opinion is. Being on the internet has made me used to it...
I personally doubt Euden happening, but this is mainly due to me kind of being down on first parties in general. Honestly the number of first parties I think have a greater than 5% chance in my eyes is very small. I know Min Min gave a lot of people hope in first parties and spirits, but I think that it overall first parties ain't that likely overall.

Did the leaker who posted that leak also use Mr. Big as their avatar and mentioned Nintendo and Co.'s war on drugs?
Considering the leak was basically a 4chan post right before TGAs with a Mr Big pic, I think you might be happy to hear that. As for who got revealed at the TGAs in my dream, it was Neku lol.

10%? That's way too low, he's a very likely candidate to be added. All I'm saying is that a character does not need to have a recent game to be in Smash.
But he is not though. Rayman is a character that is only popular in one section of the global market, is from a company that had Mii costumes that could have come with Rayman come with a different character, and is in a dormant state right now. Giving Rayman a 10% chance is generous on my behalf, he missed the boat in Smash 4. I could literally name two dozen characters that are more likely than Rayman in my eyes.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
I personally doubt Euden happening, but this is mainly due to me kind of being down on first parties in general. Honestly the number of first parties I think have a greater than 5% chance in my eyes is very small. I know Min Min gave a lot of people hope in first parties and spirits, but I think that it overall first parties ain't that likely overall.

Considering the leak was basically a 4chan post right before TGAs with a Mr Big pic, I think you might be happy to hear that. As for who got revealed at the TGAs in my dream, it was Neku lol.

But he is not though. Rayman is a character that is only popular in one section of the global market, is from a company that had Mii costumes that could have come with Rayman come with a different character, and is in a dormant state right now. Giving Rayman a 10% chance is generous on my behalf, he missed the boat in Smash 4. I could literally name two dozen characters that are more likely than Rayman in my eyes.
All I'll say is that Smash Ultimate's development lines up with the Smash Ballot, and Rayman was most likely a very popular vote for that.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Nah, I definitely think Ubisoft wants Rayman in. It just seems to be Nintendo who doesn’t care as much.

I also don’t think a character only being well known in one region in the world really hurts their chances either. Especially when said area is Smash’s biggest market. I wouldn’t be surprised if Japanese users argued against a Dragon Quest character before Hero due to the series not being popular in the west lol

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
All I'll say is that Smash Ultimate's development lines up with the Smash Ballot, and Rayman was most likely a very popular vote for that.
Ah yes the smash ballot, where at best you can make an argument that at best only 4 of our DLC characters came from.

:ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbylethf::ultminmin:ultsteve:

Now let me break this down for you.

Joker: Considering P5 did not launch globally until 2017 and did not launch at all until 2016, I doubt the ballot could have had any effect here.
Hero: Now we could make an argument here, but saying this is due to the ballot also is kind of difficult to do. The limited japanese polls we have at the time do not suggest that Hero was a super popular pick, though this might have been due to the fact there are multiple DQ heroes.
Banjo: The only pick that you could argue came from the Ballot. A super fan favorite since Melee.
Terry: Once again, the data we have is not strong enough to make an argument that Terry came from the ballot. You could say since he is popular in Latin America and Japan that could have helped, but even moreso than Hero the polls dont really show it. While these are admittedly a small sample size for polls, the fact is we do not have any good data here.
Byleth: No, Three Houses did not even exist.
Min Min: See Byleth.
Steve: Maybe you can say there was a silent majority clamoring for Steve, but his support did not start to rise until after Smash 4's ballot was done.

So you have one character that you can make a strong case came from the ballot. You have three that have some evidence you could say did ok on the ballot but I would say each has arguably easier arguments than "lol ballot". And you have three that flat out did not.

See how relying on the ballot does not make sense right now? Don't worry, it is ok that Rayman is not going to happen.

Lol there's no such thing as only having a chance in one specific smash game
Except that there is. It turns out, characters tend to do better when they are in the limelight or cultural zeitgeist.

Even ignoring the low hanging fruit of FE and Pokemon, there are several examples where someone had a much stronger argument for one game than the next. Remember Isaac in Brawl? How about Elma for Smash 4 DLC? Or how about Krystal in Brawl? That is three big "fan favorite" examples of characters that had reasonably strong pushes for their respective timeframes from fans and could have been seen as having strong evidence in their favor. And then look at how the evidence for their inclusion weakened for the next game after that.

Rayman was in the middle of a comeback with a big then Wii U game in legends in Smash 4. He had some degree of fan demand that exploded after the Rayman leak. If there was a time where the stars aligned for Rayman, it is Smash 4. Rayman now is a franchise that is dormant and is no longer the hottest character in speculation due to a high quality leak. So, logically, Rayman had a stronger argument in Smash 4. Therefore, he did miss the boat if his chances seem bleaker now.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The thing here to note is that Phil Spencer and Minecraft are the two main reasons Banjo & Kazooie happened in Smash at all. Microsoft had something that Nintendo wanted which was Minecraft and Phil Spencer was the voice we needed to get Banjo & Kazooie into Smash Bros.

No Phil Spencer = No Banjo & Kazooie
No Minecraft = Probably no Microsoft character at all.

That's what I think Ubisoft lacks. Ubisoft lacks a massive franchise that Nintendo wants to represent and Ubisoft doesn't have a powerful representative who is vocal about supporting Rayman.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
The thing here to note is that Phil Spencer and Minecraft are the two main reasons Banjo & Kazooie happened in Smash at all. Microsoft had something that Nintendo wanted which was Minecraft and Phil Spencer was the voice we needed to get Banjo & Kazooie into Smash Bros.

No Phil Spencer = No Banjo & Kazooie
No Minecraft = Probably no Microsoft character at all.

That's what I think Ubisoft lacks. Ubisoft lacks a massive franchise that Nintendo wants to represent and Ubisoft doesn't have a powerful representative who is vocal about supporting Rayman.
I think the fact that the Rayman fandom is still going strong despite 7 years without a new mainline entry in the series is a strong enough reason, but ok

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Nah, I definitely think Ubisoft wants Rayman in. It just seems to be Nintendo who doesn’t care as much.

I also don’t think a character only being well known in one region in the world really hurts their chances either. Especially when said area is Smash’s biggest market. I wouldn’t be surprised if Japanese users argued against a Dragon Quest character before Hero due to the series not being popular in the west lol
This^^^

Hell Rayman may not happen in Ultimate, but I don't think the "not popular in Japan rule" will stand forever for every smash game.
Except that there is. It turns out, characters tend to do better when they are in the limelight or cultural zeitgeist.

Even ignoring the low hanging fruit of FE and Pokemon, there are several examples where someone had a much stronger argument for one game than the next. Remember Isaac in Brawl? How about Elma for Smash 4 DLC? Or how about Krystal in Brawl? That is three big "fan favorite" examples of characters that had reasonably strong pushes for their respective timeframes from fans and could have been seen as having strong evidence in their favor. And then look at how the evidence for their inclusion weakened for the next game after that.

Rayman was in the middle of a comeback with a big then Wii U game in legends in Smash 4. He had some degree of fan demand that exploded after the Rayman leak. If there was a time where the stars aligned for Rayman, it is Smash 4. Rayman now is a franchise that is dormant and is no longer the hottest character in speculation due to a high quality leak. So, logically, Rayman had a stronger argument in Smash 4. Therefore, he did miss the boat if his chances seem bleaker now.
That's nice and all but his fan demand has grown since the smash 4 days despite people denying it has. If we gotta wait a few games for the demand to grow loud enough then so be it, but his boat definitely hasn't sailed for good

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
A reminder that Rayman sells poorly in Japan and its lack of popularity there.

Also, remember how some of us were so certain of Travis (Myself included)? Look how that turned out.
I was more fearful of Travis than certain.
And what does he have to do with Rayman, above than any other character?
Edit: you addressed this to some extent later.

Ubisoft already got their dues with the Mii outfits.
Then I guess we definitely never need another character from Sega, SE, Capcom, Bamco, Microsoft...

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think the fact that the Rayman fandom is still going strong despite 7 years without a new mainline entry in the series is a strong enough reason, but ok
You could make that argument about basically any video game character even. Plenty of franchises have had their fanbases say intact even in droughts.

That's nice and all but his fan demand has grown since the smash 4 days despite people denying it has. If we gotta wait a few games for the demand to grow loud enough then so be it, but his boat definitely hasn't sailed for good
Except it has not really. I hate to remind you of basic history, but his fan demand was at its highest...during 2015. When everyone said the character made so much sense and the Omni leak made people think about Rayman. I could name characters that actually have seen spikes in their fan demand, such as Heavy for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom