• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

7NATOR

Smash Master
Nintendo of America don't make games. They only translate and market them out. Yes Reggie said that "Mr. Sakurai will be aware of the groundswell of support that appeared for a Waluigi" but then you have to remember that Nintendo of Japan are handling the Fighters Pass selection so his words really all amount to nothing. On top of that, you have the language barrier so that would be a problem too.
Perhaps even if NOA or NOE aren't on the table, they could suggest things to NOJ regarding the Fighter Choosing Process

But I'm didn't know all NOA did was Market and Translate. In any case, I'll keep all of this in Mind. Thanks

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Might as well discuss TGA, since the allegations about Nintendo intentionally stalling out Smash deals with Twitch etc. have already added gasoline to that inferno. To say that the competitive crowd is pissed off would be a massive understatement.

Standing by my predictions that Crash and Dante are the frontrunners, could see LoL as a dark horse. If a character is A) revealed at TGA in the first place, and B) connected to the awards themselves, both of which are if. If there's a character reveal there but not neccessarily connected to the awards, it's a free for all.
Metinks a TGA reveal would be either a character loosely related to the awards (whether this one or previous years) or someone that's generally popular with the wider gaming spectrum.

Aside from those you mentioned, I could see a Monster Hunter, 2B, Lara Croft or Sora, for example.

Last edited:

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I am curious if the lack of physical live audience will make the producers of the Game Awards more or less indulgent with their presentations. For every live performance or showcase that works, there's many that don't.

On the plus side as far as anti-climaxes, nothing can top the Fast and Furious silliness from last year so that's something.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Unless it is formatted in a way that a computer can derive the result, the the ballot requires human to scan through them, in each language it is in which it is available.
I'd much rather those people just make several more echo fighters. Or a new mode. Or something else.
I think it's weird as hell that you think they would have the people that program echo fighters counting ballots. Instead of having, like, clerical workers to do that...

Because each of those people earns a salary, and there is a budget Nintendo puts on any product- a programmer is not someone in research and development, but they use up the same budget.
Oh right. I forgot all jobs get paid the same...

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Is this Twitlonger coming from a reliable source?

EDIT: oh ok, it's anonymous...
There's a few additional reddit posts on the front page of the Smash subreddit, and Project M was ****canned after a fear of a DMCA, so while it's not 100% confirmed, honestly it's not hard to believe either.

Nintendo has a hate rod for Mods and fangames, Project M getting as big as it was and getting as many eyes on it as possible was just Icarus flying too close to the sun. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think it's weird as hell that you think they would have the people that program echo fighters counting ballots. Instead of having, like, clerical workers to do that...

Oh right. I forgot all jobs get paid the same...
Because each of those people earns a salary, and there is a budget Nintendo puts on any product- a programmer is not someone in research and development, but they use up the same budget.
I didn't say theres a 1-1 ratio.
I said it's all from the same budget.
Unless you're claiming that the poll, and that R&D, is free.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I am curious if the lack of physical live audience will make the producers of the Game Awards more or less indulgent with their presentations. For every live performance or showcase that works, there's many that don't.
Who knows, there's already been plenty of events this year with varying qualities. I'd love it if this year's Game Awards had the same energy as the first quarantined WWE show, though.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Man, I really hate the word boycott being thrown around aimlessly at Nintendo. It's like the Disney's situation again with the Live-action Mulan movie which is much worse than ruining the competitive scene.

I know that still sounds horrible but boycotting them just because they stalling every chances Smash had with tournament is so exaggerated as if this demand is coming from someone who write a whole hate thread on Twitter and just slips in every curse words on every sentence.

SKX31

Smash Master
Is this Twitlonger coming from a reliable source?

EDIT: oh ok, it's anonymous...
Anonymous, but one of the reasons that has blown up is because several prominent people within the scene has pretty much concurred. HBox posted a lengthy video where he discussed the allegations (not a neutral voice, granted, but he was at the centre).

I'm really displeased with Nintendo's actions here to put it lightly - If the allegations are true, then it implies that Nintendo undermined the competitive Smash scene to maintain maximum exposure for minimal cost; akin to the rampant Youtube flagging and later partnership program Nintendo tried a couple years back. It's difficult to say that the allegations are false when Nintendo's organizational culture has not seen esports (or Internet content in general) as anything but marketing.

Narrator’s voice: it won’t.
laughs

Good luck trying to pull that off.
Pretty much. There's the fact that the competitive can't distance themselves completely from Nintendo for instance.

I do believe that the ****storm has a small but existing change of causing Nintendo to change course a bit when Ludwig Ahgren's pledged a charity tournament as a replacement tournament for the Big House, and a pro boxer voiced his support for #freemelee and challenged MKLeo to a $30K money match in Smash. The competitive scene is grassroots as ****, the scene literally defined itself by that (for good and ill, mind).

The crazy part is I'm legitimately seeing the ****ing Subreddit staff trying to get people to tank the price of Nintendo's stocks

Now maybe I'm just a moron, but isn't manipulating stock market prices...... illegal?

:4pacman:

Last edited:
We'd live in the most based timeline if Hades won every nomination and Zagreus was revealed for Smash at the same time.
As amazing as that would be, Hades is probably a bit young for this pass.

There are people who consider Hades the greatest roguelike ever created, so in the future I think there could be a shot.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The crazy part is I'm legitimately seeing the ****ing Subreddit staff trying to get people to tank the price of Nintendo's stocks

Now maybe I'm just a moron, but isn't manipulating stock market prices...... illegal?
There's being grassroots and then there's being so grassroots you actually have no rules in place :4pacman:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Really the core issue that stuff like Nintendo's dubious behavior with the competitive scene is not really something that's actively known or understood among general audiences, let alone among countless Switch owners. Certain gaming controversies like loot boxes and micro transactions have crossed over into the mainstream consciousness and there have been consequences from them. Something like the Twitch interference or the C&D towards events is like the bad handling of legacy content/timed availability; among the hardcores its disgraceful but it doesn't stop 3D Mario Collection from selling huge.

The #FreeMelee thing is just too niche as far as grievances go for wide scale change to really happen, at least right now.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
And as for Project M, I gotta be honest but what did people expect? We know how Nintendo is with fan games/Mods, did people seriously expect it to fly forever under Nintendo's radar, despite the mod getting the spotlight at various big events?

If the claims that Nintendo actively sabotaged Project M's scene behind the scenes is true, which seems to be, dunno what people really expected in the end tbh.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
To be fair I thought the creation of Project M gives off the vibe that the competitive side of Smash wanted to turn everything into Melee and won't accept Brawl as it is which may tick Nintendo the wrong way as this people somewhat stuck in the past which may or may not make Nintendo snap at the community for that and it seems they wanted to wipe out Melee from the FGC. I mean they remove random tripping, add patches to the game and ported the formula from Melee forces it down its throat to be more "competitive".

Though, This is just my assumption tho so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There is something illogical about this idea of a boycott as well.

If I felt my community wouldn't be listened to by Nintendo, and that I needed more people in my community to be heard.... I wouldn't think a boycott could somehow amount to a response, rather than just more reason to be overlooked.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
even if it's not a stage i hope we get an update where the middle digit changes cause that's a non-character new feature of some sort

JUST GIMME WOL VERY HARD MODE ALREADY I WANT THE DARK SOULS OF WOL
Attempt to beat the Geno spirit in a Very Hard mode. I don't think you could.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Imagine they add New Mode this Time

Like Boss Rush, Squad Strike in Online

Or the Best of All, Smash Run.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
bruh just lemme use the WoL possession effects outside of WoL like how Hero's trailer hinted also,,, i wanna like,,, make my own AU scenarios n shiz

but also, why can't u rematch boss spirits? i'd hope that's like a hint at some kind of boss rush or something, just so i dont have to make a new wol file just to rematch Dracula after I evolve his spirit to Soma Cruz just to get a dupe Dracula spirit

7NATOR

Smash Master
bruh just lemme use the WoL possession effects outside of WoL like how Hero's trailer hinted also,,, i wanna like,,, make my own AU scenarios n shiz

but also, why can't u rematch boss spirits? i'd hope that's like a hint at some kind of boss rush or something, just so i dont have to make a new wol file just to rematch Dracula after I evolve his spirit to Soma Cruz just to get a dupe Dracula spirit
My Optimist Side says they are hinting at a Boss rush Mode of some kind coming later (Perhaps with Added Bosses)

My Pessimist side says They don't let you rematch boss Spirits because there be no Point in Doing WOL again, since you can just Rematch Spirits Willy nilly

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
it takes a pretty big ****storm to get nintendo to even CONSIDER reversing a dumb decision. remember when Nintendo Switch Online was going to give us a grand total of ONE NES or SNES game per month? months of dunks later it was improved to a library.

the way they treat smash competitively despite being more popular than anything they try to push a competitive scene on is ridiculous. it's like denying your eldest child their dream of being an athlete because you're paying to put them through clown college. meanwhile, they're still a better athlete than all your other children. said children either have arms like spaghetti or an allergy to water.

just like the rest of 2020, nintendo has been disappointing and lazy and raking it in. they have no incentive to change anything.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Reading those last few pages concerning Ray Man just makes me want to remind people that you can totally support a character while also looking at the facts stacked for and against them, and acknowledge the other side of the argument. Otherwise you get an echo chamber of reaffirming opinions that can cloud judgement.

Concerning the #FreeMelee and Nintendo boycott shenanigans, let it be known that the people rallying behind these make up a tiny portion of the Nintendo fanbase. Most casual fans will just ignore it and continue buying Nintendo's products. Just look at Hyrule Warriors AOC, that game sold 3 million copies already. Granted, the demographic doesn't match up with Smashes, but you get my point.

Last edited:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Saw y’all talkin bout rayman

also who in the world even compares for smash account twitter followers as an example x is more popular than x? That’s just child’s play right there

if anything, Assassins creed should be the Ubisoft rep instead of rayman however ac has a dlc mii outfit in the game but there’s always future installments after ultimate

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Honestly, I'm seeing a lot of "Let's boycott Nintendo!!!" over on the Smash subreddit.

I wonder if this boycott will be as effective as Sword/Shield's was.
"LETS BOYCOTT NINTNEDO"
Later
"WHERE IS RHE NEXT GAME NINTNEDO"

7NATOR

Smash Master
You Know, I believe there was One time The Spirits and/or tourney didn't arrive on time like usual, but on that day we did just get Spirits/a Tourney

I believe the Octopath Traveler Spirits were hours late

At the least, I'd say the chances of something new Occuring is Much more likely than usual weeks this time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom