• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Your KoF description is something i feel most people have been sleeping on, i can totally see a mechanic like this happening, especially to make the character not a generic fighter style
Interesting idea, except that in KoF you can’t tag out, you can only change the order of your characters beforehand. That might still be an interesting experiment, but not sure how it would feel play-wise. Plus there’s the whole 3 times the work for one fighter issue.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Hate Speech Warning
Well another ****ty DLC pick like Joker coming. No one at SNK moves the needle for me.

I wish Smash could be made by a Western Company and we could actually get characters that we grew up playing. **** the Japanese and these lame ass looking JPRG characters.

Here is the list that Sakurai should be reviewing for characters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

Someone mentioned Laura Croft. I know that I said that I wasn't excited about a female character but I would love to have her or Jill Valentine in the game over anything from SNK.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Well another ****ty DLC pick like Joker coming. No one at SNK moves the needle for me.

I wish Smash could be made by a Western Company and we could actually get characters that we grew up playing. **** the Japanese and these lame *** looking JPRG characters.

Here is the list that Sakurai should be reviewing for characters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

Someone mentioned Laura Croft. I know that I said that I wasn't excited about a female character but I would love to have her or Jill Valentine in the game over anything from SNK.
This ain't it chief.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I've always hated the mindset that only the best-selling and most popular stuff should be the only stuff that gets in Smash.

Everyone has different interests, and they're not all gonna be super popular. SNK, while popular, certainly never found as much worldwide success as the other Japanese game development giants, so the idea that Sakurai gets to pick a relatively more niche character(s?) for Smash is really cool, and showcases some taste.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I wish Smash could be made by a Western Company and we could actually get characters that we grew up playing. **** the Japanese and these lame *** looking JPRG characters.

Gee I wonder what genre The King of FIGHTERS would be.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

1. Holy **** man that's like a super racist comment.

2. Your profile picture is Sonic, a Japanese character.

3. SNK doesn't make JRPGs.

4. Smash literally went 2 games with only these 'lame Japanese characters', and to this day only has 4 that aren't. Not sure why you like Smash then.

5. Lara Croft is owned by a Japanese company.

6. Jill Valentine is literally a Japanese creation from a Japanese company.

This person is also wrong but not racist level wrong.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I can't be the only one who thinks that just going down the list of best selling franchises putting their characters in Smash is a boring way to do things. Getting big fan-requests like Banjo is great, but so is being surprised by something you didn't know you wanted.

As for the SNK rumor, I hope it's Terry or Mai. Kyo would be cool too, but I'm not as familiar with him as the others, and I mainly started with CvSNK2 and Fatal Fury.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Premium
Where are all the people who want Lyn for her moveset? They should be hyped af hoping for Ukyo.

Slime Scholar

Smash Journeyman

Oh brother.

Not every character is going to appeal to every player. It's okay to be disappointed or feel like the roster isn't being made to your tastes but this "what about MY nostalgia?" mentality is pathetic

D

Deleted member

Oh brother.

Not every character is going to appeal to every player. It's okay to be disappointed or feel like the roster isn't being made to your tastes but this "what about MY nostalgia?" mentality is pathetic
Give chance to others. That's what they say.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
SNK, while popular, certainly never found as much worldwide success as the other Japanese game development giants,
While I agree with the rest of your post, a small addition: SNK may not be as popular worldwide now as it was in the CvS era, but it is still big in some places outside of the US and Europe.

Over here in Brazil, my local Smash scene went absolutely bat**** with the news. Quite a few are saying the amiibo is a lock for them, despite not even having character confirmation yet. I bet other scenes in Latin America have had similar reactions.

Not to mention KOF XIV is still going to be at EVO Japan, despite being discontinued in its western counterpart. And if the news is true, then SNK will pretty much have a guest in nearly every current fighting game that uses them as DLC.

I mean, sure, they're not Nintendo or Sega, but they're more than big enough to warrant a slot in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It’s gonna be either Mai or Terry methinks. Wasn’t a ponytail datamined ages ago?

Also, I’d say we should be seeing a direct sometime next week given something prompted the update (an upcoming reveal), and TGS is next weekend.

Also, if you believe Milk Bosatsu (I don’t) then it’s undeniably Mai.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Premium
It’s gonna be either Mai or Terry methinks. Wasn’t a ponytail datamined ages ago?

Also, I’d say we should be seeing a direct sometime next week given something prompted the update (an upcoming reveal), and TGS is next weekend.

Also, if you believe Milk Bosatsu (I don’t) then it’s undeniably Mai.
Idk what you're talking about, but Haohmaru has a ponytail. Nakoruru fits the milk rumor, if it's the one I think it is.

D

Deleted member

I've always hated the mindset that only the best-selling and most popular stuff should be the only stuff that gets in Smash.
When you look at it, a lot of incredibly huge & top selling video game franchises don't exactly need to have a character in Smash. I mean, it's not like adding Steve in Ultimate will help Minecraft in any capacity since it's already 1 of the biggest games to ever exist. If anything, adding him will mostly benefit sales for the Fighter Pass since he's a character people are already very familiar with and that's about it. Minecraft doesn't really get anything out of it aside from money and a character in Smash whereas Persona 5 and Dragon Quest got not only that but more eyes on their games and a new set of fans (for P5 it's Switch fans and for Dragon Quest it's the Western hemisphere).

Jim_Puff

Smash Apprentice

Alright then. FIFA's in. A different player for each skin, it's perfect

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Premium
When you look at it, a lot of incredibly huge & top selling video game franchises don't exactly need to have a character in Smash. I mean, it's not like adding Steve in Ultimate will help Minecraft in any capacity since it's already 1 of the biggest games to ever exist. If anything, adding him will mostly benefit sales for the Fighter Pass since he's a character people are already very familiar with and that's about it. Minecraft doesn't really get anything out of it aside from money and a character in Smash whereas Persona 5 and Dragon Quest got not only that but more eyes on their games and a new set of fans (for P5 it's Switch fans and for Dragon Quest it's the Western hemisphere).
As I understand it, Nintendo decides what character they want and then tries to get it. The company might convince them to take someone else, but that's after Nintendo approaches them.

D

Deleted member

Even though this leak puts characters with ponytails on the map, that model with a ponytail bone can't be anything other than a Joker alt.
Was it? I didn’t follow it too closely, so idk the deets.

Why is that?

Idk what you're talking about, but Haohmaru has a ponytail. Nakoruru fits the milk rumor, if it's the one I think it is.
Nako fits the MB leak too, yeah, but only Mai fits the MB leak AND the ponytail datamine.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Alright let's see what you got:
  • Call of Duty
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • FIFA
  • The Sims
  • Minecraft
  • Tetris
  • Need for Speed
  • Madden NFL
  • Lego
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Pro Evolution Soccer
I'll give you Ezio, Steve, and whoever would represent GTA and NFS, but a Random Soldier Guy, A Real Life Soccer Player, What's Essentially a Mii, Tetrominos, A Real Life Football Player, Bob the Legoman, and another Real Life Soccer Player? Seriously?

I didn't even just pick the worst ones the rest is stuff like Just Dance, Oregon Trail, Bejeweled, and Star Wars. You don't get to the good stuff that isn't already in Smash until the "At least 20 million copies" section. And saying you should pick characters from these lists implies that you should pick from the top so we wouldn't get that far for quite a while.

ponytail bone
I know what you mean by this but out of context this is hilarious.

Polan

Smash Lord

imagine being this uncultured

TheRockingGoomba

Smash Cadet

You have a Sonic profile picture. And SEGA is a Japanese company.

Anyway. You can't expect every character to knell to your wishes. There are always going to be characters you aren't interested in.
It's okay to be disappointed with characters. But Smash isn't made with you specifically in mind.

The reason why most Smash characters hail from Japan is because it's easier to negotiate with people who speak the same language than having to hire a translator.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

You should use the opportunity to broaden your horizons.
SNK are a company with a lot of different IPs. I am sure you can find one that appeals to you.

For me, Samurai Shodown looks awesome and is on my to-buy list.

Also that's a terrible list to base it on and doesn't paint the ideal picture of what would be a good fit for Smash. Some of the franchises there wouldn't work for legal reasons for starters, whilst others are impractical or have absolutely no noticeable demand to be in the game. While it's logical to go for other demographics outside the fandom at times, a fairly decent Smash demand/correlation needs to be considered as well rather than raw sale numbers.

SNK have characters that would translate well to Smash and have some demand. Sure, it's not big on online fan polls, but Terry Bogard is a name I've seen mentioned before. Not to mention they have a place in gaming history due to their arcade days.

You just have to accept not every DLC pick will appeal to you, but will appeal to others. Especially at the point where we are at over 80 characters.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
AAAAA SNK IN SMASJJJHHHHHFF GIMME TERRY PLSSASssasdxds

• Call of Duty
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • FIFA
  • The Sims
  • Minecraft
  • Tetris
  • Need for Speed
  • Madden NFL
  • Lego
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Pro Evolution Soccer
I'll give you Ezio, Steve, and whoever would represent GTA and NFS, but a Random Soldier Guy, A Real Life Soccer Player, What's Essentially a Mii, Tetrominos, A Real Life Football Player, Bob the Legoman, and another Real Life Soccer Player? Seriously?

I didn't even just pick the worst ones the rest is stuff like Just Dance, Oregon Trail, Bejeweled, and Star Wars. You don't get to the good stuff that isn't already in Smash until the "At least 20 million copies" section. And saying you should pick characters from these lists implies that you should pick from the top so we wouldn't get that far for quite a while.

I know what you mean by this but out of context this is hilarious.
> Joker, SNK character
Dumb ****in japanese ****
> John Madden
That's the **** we need

D

Deleted member

As I understand it, Nintendo decides what character they want and then tries to get it. The company might convince them to take someone else, but that's after Nintendo approaches them.
I mean if they were the 1s that came up with the lineup, it looks pretty clear that Nintendo and Sakurai chose these games to help them get bigger than they currently are. It doesn't even matter if they put a super niche series in Smash because it's a win/win all around for everyone involved since people will still buy the character(s) in Smash to play them and also puts a huge spotlight onto series that certain Smash fans might not have known about.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman

• Call of Duty
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • FIFA
  • The Sims
  • Minecraft
  • Tetris
  • Need for Speed
  • Madden NFL
  • Lego
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Pro Evolution Soccer
Hey hey hey hey hey! Hey.

Sakurai's team could make Tetromino top tier and you know it.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace

W H I N I N G F O O L S B E G O N E

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t think sales should be used in an argument unless one dude is saying a game isn’t popular when it clearly is.

Though, that kind of argument isn’t worth having tbh.

Out of the list of top 10 best-selling games, I only want Minecraft with Steve as playable (and yes, he would fit just fine and has plenty of potential, is very popular outside of this site just like some other characters like Sora, and this site still has supporters and people that are at least open to the idea, thanks for asking). Some like CoD likely won’t happen (though I don’t care tbh), and while I’d find playable Tetronimos interesting, I feel that’s very unlikely and they’d have to make a Tetronimo Man to consider it an actual character tbh.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm throwing in the bone to say its Kyo.

Terry Bogard debuted in Fatal Fury guess who on the other hand debuted in King of Fighters. It only makes sense to have Terry be listed under Fatal Fury given:ultcloud:being Final Fantasy VII rather then Final Fantasy as a whole.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Again, Fatal Fury literally became King of Fighters. They are now one and the same. Whether or not they debuted in Fatal Fury or KoF is ACTUALLY irrelevant at this point. Fatal Fury's last game was in 1999.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Since some people aren't too keen with SNK's inclusion (for really weird and racist reasons), it should be worth noting that SNK is insanely popular in both Latin America and China. Heck, a livestream tournament of KoF 97 became the most viewed online fighting gaming event in China history in 2014. Not to mention even here in the U.S., the NEO GEO is pretty recognizable in the gaming community thanks to popular games like Metal Slug.

So no, the inclusion of an SNK would not just be Nintendo "pandering" to the Japanese community.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
So while you guys were arguing this came up:

So, a 7/11 ad has appeared in Japan that is advertising Banjo. The date on the top right is to specify when the store should take the poster down (in this case, September 15).
Well, this exact same thing happened with Hero. A 7/11 ad appeared on July 24 with instructions to take it down on August 4, and Hero ended up being released on July 30.

Take this what you will.

KatKit

Smash Lord

Everyone has different interests, and they're not all gonna be super popular. SNK, while popular, certainly never found as much worldwide success as the other Japanese game development giants, so the idea that Sakurai gets to pick a relatively more niche character(s?) for Smash is really cool, and showcases some taste.
I agree.

Although KoF is huge in Central and South America and China; it has been THE fighting game franchise for decades. And in recent years, the company has been on an upswing. I mean, 6 years ago, I couldn't imagine SamSho getting the love it has, Geese being in Tekken, Kula and Mai in DoA, etc.

This is a lot for me to process, but SNK had a huge impact on the industry, and especially the FGC (and as aforementioned, even more so in certain parts of the globe where it reigned supreme). Whoever we get, if anyone, is going to be awesome, and they're going to introduce more people to their games, which is always a plus. With that being said, as unlikely as it is, King would be a dream for me, gratuitous English and all; she's just really cool and an AoF and KoF rep. Athena seems a little more likely, and is cool, too. Mai is also feasible, as are the big names like Terry, Kyo, etc. That's not even including non-fighters like a Metal Slug rep. This is just... so great lol.

Random tangent: Capcom vs SNK 2 is arguably one of the greatest crossover fighting games of all time. We might be able to reenact a part of that in Smash. Good Lord.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So while you guys were arguing this came up:

So, a 7/11 ad has appeared in Japan that is advertising Banjo. The date on the top right is to specify when the store should take the poster down (in this case, September 15).
Well, this exact same thing happened with Hero. A 7/11 ad appeared on July 24 with instructions to take it down on August 4, and Hero ended up being released on July 30.

Take this what you will.
From the looks of it, BK are very likely going to be released next week. Now the real question is how they'd go about announcing info about them and the stuff that's coming to Ultimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom