• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Calling it right now:

1. If Haya is in, expect Sheik and Greninja to show up.
2. If SNK reps are in, expect it to follow-up the Ken/Incineroar trailer.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'm pretty majorly disappointed that Namco is probably going to be#5 because it means I have to wait such a long time for KOS-MOS to get in but I think SNK is a good choice IF the character is female. I happen to be a huge Mai Shiranui fan and while I know almost nothing about Nakoruru, I know Sam showdown is becoming much more popular. Guest appearance in SC VI, etc.
Same for me, except swap out KOS-MOS for The Prince of All Cosmos.

Looking at Nakoruru's design, she seems like the most interesting of the proposed options. if she heavily utilizes her falcon. Plus she, being a female rep, would make certain people happy, while also making the speculation discussion more interesting.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I know it's probably not Rugal (considering that his playable form was completely unaltered from the boss battle, unlike most fighting game bosses that become playable, I feel like choosing him would be considered bad form), but part of me hopes that it's Rugal.
I'd love Rugal over most anyone else in KOF but that's because he's a rad bad guy. Brutal, stylish and I wanna see those 'flash kicks' and his command grab in Smash. Though I'd love for a villain to show up as a DLC character.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Depends of the game. Rugal in CvS2 was pretty inoffensive as a playable character (God Rugal not so much), and the one KOF 98 doesn't seemto ever cause noise. It's KOF 2002 Rugal which makes people so mad.
I guess I should have been specific - I meant his KOF95 version, since that's the one that was being talked about. Seeing as his Genocide Cutter wasn't toned down from the boss version, he could take off 40 to 80% of a health bar with it. And, unlike the boss version, he has two teammates waiting in the wings if he loses. (though unlike the CPU, human players can't read your inputs and react with insane precision)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Imagine this being just one wrong Copy/Paste on Nintendo UK's part. Would YOU type out the Smash Bros. copyright info word for word every time?
Not saying this is likely; it would just be funny.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I hope it's not Terry or Kyo. I'm not interested in more unarmed fighters with fire powers.

It's hard to pick which is more likely between King of Fighters and Samurai Shodown. It's only been about a month since Haohmaru was announced for Soul Calibur VI, so it seems like the decision process that applied there would probably be the same as that applied to Smash. That reasoning might be something like, "It's going to be a while before King of Fighters comes out, and hype from a character advertising that game might cool off too much before then, so let's advertise a game that's already out." (I realize Samurai Shodown isn't out yet on the Switch, but people can have more than one platform, and King of Fighters will come to Switch much later, if it comes at all.)

Assuming that the character comes from Samurai Shodown, I think Nakoruru is more likely than Haohmaru, but not by much. I think her main advantage over him is her bird. (She could also use her wolf.) Haohmaru is one of the most basic fighters in Samurai Shodown movesetwise, being the main character.

Regarding Mai, I love her, but I think she doesn't belong in Smash.

Hey so

The FP4 page has been taken down

We are for sure getting an SNK character next. and calling it now, it’s Nakoruru with a Kyo Mii costume
The page would have been taken down whether the information were accurate or not.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Imagine this being just one wrong Copy/Paste on Nintendo UK's part. Would YOU type out the Smash Bros. copyright info word for word every time?
Not saying this is likely; it would just be funny.
Joker is the only pass character to have all of the copyrights before his own, though.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
If I had my choice of KoF character, it would be Goenitz with a Goeniko costume or echo fighter.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Of course. I'm asking the guy why he thinks the page would've been taken down independently of whether the info was legit or not.
Oh. Well in the case of us not getting an SNK character they'd still take it down so they can put up the right copyright thingy.

Gamexplain decided to do a whole discussion on the whole SNK topic and they mentioned Bubble Bobble. Isn't Bubble Bobble owned by SquareEnix?

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
You say that as if it's such a hard thing to just edit out a simple error like a copyright notice on a wrong page.
Are you suggesting that if the information were inaccurate, they would simply remove it? I agree that they could have done that, but I don't see why they needed the page up anyway, so why not just take it down? It doesn't matter how easy it is to edit the information in that case.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
Oh. Well in the case of us not getting an SNK character they'd still take it down so they can put up the right copyright thingy.

Gamexplain decided to do a whole discussion on the whole SNK topic and they mentioned Bubble Bobble. Isn't Bubble Bobble owned by SquareEnix?
Oh my god this is just getting better and better by the minute, please sakurai!!!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sabi said it was KoF.

Honestly it feels like Sabi is just covering her tracks and deleted some comments of hers; someone asks her what the stage is, she says KoF, and then someone says nice. Now her answer is gone, but the person’s question and the other person’s “nice” comment are still there, and I know the person who asked the question has been a trusted person on there based on past posts on this site.

The original one was This one (far as I know) is legitimate:

also yes this is legit. Not the original one, but legit.

Last edited:

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
What do you mean? Sabi's comments, or this whole SNK leak thing?
Those were fake dms, sabi says she has not said whether the character is male or female or from Metal Slug

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Are you suggesting that if the information were inaccurate, they would simply remove it? I agree that they could have done that, but I don't see why they needed the page up anyway, so why not just take it down? It doesn't matter how easy it is to edit the information in that case.
Because if it were really just a mistake, I'm pretty sure Nintendo would've clarified it being as such. It's not like they'd lose anything if they apologized for a web error like that.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Because if it were really just a mistake, I'm pretty sure Nintendo would've clarified it being as such. It's not like they'd lose anything if they apologized for a web error like that.
I don't think they've responded to other situations like this before though. I guess they'll just try to sweep it under the rug as best they can regardless of the outcome.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I feel like this thread is really sleeping on Metal Slug.
I'm with you.
We've characters from platformers (which are the majority like Mario, Sonic, and Megaman), Metroidvanias (Samus and Simon), action-adventure games (Link and Zelda), RPGs (Joker, Hero, Cloud, Pikachu, and Shulk), stealth games (Snake), rail-shooters (Fox and Falco), racing games (Captain Falcon), sports (Little Mac), collect-a-trons (Banjo & Kazooie), strategy games (Olimar and Marth), hack and slash games (Bayonetta), simulations (Villager and Isabelle), and fighting games (Ryu and Ken.) Putting in a character from a run and gun series would spice up the roster and Metal Slug would fit the bill.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I know I'm probably going to be that guy here, but I've always been of the belief that leakers don't always, and quite often don't, have all the information. Leakers are close to accurate info, but they have guys on the inside, or work in a department that might have answers. tl;dr they're information often isn't 100% accurate. My belief is that anything is on the table until an official source says otherwise. I think we absolutely should discuss the pros and cons of Metal Slug as a rep until we get explicit disconfirmation.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My stance on this:
Could be real, could be a mistake, good points for both sides.
If fake, I'm back on Hayabusa. Like many have said, I want to know what Verge and Shifty have to say.
If real, it's Mr. B. Small chance it's K-Man if Sakurai is really a fan or wants to strictly go with MC over mascot, but nobody else stands an inkling of a chance so I hope that person who's going in circles about female characters doesn't flip.
Also, Sabi's acting like a total clown, to the point whether I don't know whether to believe her and whether I want to believe her. It's crazy that we're running around like headless chickens not about leaks, but about what people did or didn't comment about the leak.
THIS IS HOW THE PHOENIX/LAYTON DUAL REVEAL IS STILL PLAUSIBLE
dont.jpg

SO how do y'all feel about Ryu's chances now? I wonder if he could be the "haha it was still right" Box Theory to SNK's Grinch Leak?
I do. Not certain about anything at all.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
If we're indeed getting an SNK, I strongly believe (wish actually) it'd be one of the two:

From King of Fighters: Team Japan, consisting of a three-on-one character (like Pokémon Trainer) including Kyo Kusanagi, Benimaru Nikaido, and Goro Daimon. This representation of SNK/KoF would be the most unique since it would be taking straight from the source material (three-man teams), each with their unique fighting styles, and being able to tag out using Down B (in this sense, perhaps the other teammates could be standing in the background like Pokémon Trainer (Red) does during the fights). And since each character would have their own moveset, they could each have their own Final Smash as well. Both Ryu and Ken have two different Final Smashes each so, having a character with three Final Smashes, which depend on which character executes it, should be applicable.

From Metal Slug: The mercenary quartet which includes Marco Rossi, Tarma Roving, Eri Kasamoto, and Fiolina "Fio" Germi. This character could be brought in a similar light to Hero; with Marco being the main skin (1), while the other three would be the next three alt skins (2-4), and also have a different color alt for each. Since the four pretty much have the same moves, and can use the same weapons in the games, bringing the whole gang into one slot shouldn't be a problem. Of course, they're Final Smash, they could go wild and unload tons of explosives, and bring in the SV-001 (Metal Slug) tank itself.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
If we're indeed getting an SNK, I strongly believe (wish actually) it'd be one of the two:

From King of Fighters: Team Japan, consisting of a three-on-one character (like Pokémon Trainer) including Kyo Kusanagi, Benimaru Nikaido, and Goro Daimon. This representation of SNK/KoF would be the most unique since it would be taking straight from the source material (three-man teams), each with their unique fighting styles, and being able to tag out using Down B (in this sense, perhaps the other teammates could be standing in the background like Pokémon Trainer (Red) does during the fights). And since each character would have their own moveset, they could each have their own Final Smash as well. Both Ryu and Ken have two different Final Smashes each so, having a character with three Final Smashes, which depend on which character executes it, should be applicable.

From Metal Slug: The mercenary quartet which includes Marco Rossi, Tarma Roving, Eri Kasamoto, and Fiolina "Fio" Germi. This character could be brought in a similar light to Hero; with Marco being the main skin (1), while the other three would be the next three alt skins (2-4), and also have a different color alt for each. Since the four pretty much have the same moves, and can use the same weapons in the games, bringing the whole gang into one slot shouldn't be a problem. Of course, they're Final Smash, they could go wild and unload tons of explosives, and bring in the SV-001 (Metal Slug) tank itself.

Your KoF description is something i feel most people have been sleeping on, i can totally see a mechanic like this happening, especially to make the character not a generic fighter style

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Thinking about it, having an SNK character and Ryu Hayabusa would be a nice way to wrap up this Pass.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I'm very happy for the SNK fans on this board. Really, truly, I am. In terms of gaming icons, SNK really doesn't have any (I'm talking with massive mainstream appeal, especially within the Nintendo fanbase), so to know that there's now a ridiculously high chance of getting a character from your favorite niche publisher has got to feel great.

And I sincerely don't want to stir up a fight on here, but I just want to toss in my humble, borderline pointless two cents on the matter: This really dampens my excitement for the 4th DLC Fighter.

They were on a roll with this DLC: Joker set an insane precedent for the rest of the Pass, Hero finally brought the grandfather of RPGs into gaming's biggest crossover, and Banjo not only brought the duo back home where they belong, but also said loud and clear that Nintendo was willing to play nice with rival companies. Despite their standing with Nintendo fans (I'm not a Persona/Dragon Quest fanboy by any stretch), all three of these characters were huge announcements in one way or another. I just can't see an SNK rep being anywhere close to that exciting.

The only characters I could see myself even slightly caring about would be someone from Metal Slug or Bub/Bob from Bubble Bobble, both for their unique look and retro appeal. But judging strictly from SNK's fanbase and their most recent/profitable games, we're probably going to get a character from King of Fighters? Which, I mean, cool...but can you imagine getting a female fighter from KoF before getting Chun-Li? Or Cammy or Morrigan, or even someone from Soul Calibur or Tekken? I dunno, that just doesn't sit right with me. And if the leaks are wrong and we don't get a female rep in this pass at all, that would leave an even worse taste in my mouth, y'know?

Maybe I'm woefully ignorant here though. I've played through a few KoF games and they were...certainly fighting games. Maybe I'm missing something huge about this publisher that will completely turn my mind around on them. Maybe they have a long secret history with Nintendo that warrants their inclusion in Nintendo's biggest game of all time. Maybe there is an SNK character out there who will generate as much surprise as Joker, please as huge of a fanbase as Hero, or spark as much hype as BK.

But, like...I can just see this SNK character being the "Corrin" of this game's DLC. Some die-hard fans will appreciate the gesture, but a vast majority of the fanbase will wonder why they got in over Characters X, Y, and Z, y'know?

Though again, hey, this is still a game where I can pit all three Red/Blue starter Pokemon, Simon Belmont, the dog from Duck Hunt, any Koopaling I want, Ridley, Sonic the Hedgehog, Cloud Strife, and Banjo and Kazooie against each other on a stage from Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, using items like an actual Fire Bar from Bowser's NES Castle and Death's literal Scythe, so...I really shouldn't complain. Thanks for allowing me to waste your time with my naive ramble!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom