• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Idk I feel like Sabi’s fifty fifty now. Especially with her lying about talking with Vergeben about Hayabusa

I don’t doubt that the SNK thing is true but the fact she deleted her Terry posts makes me think she’s backpedaling...
If there was ever a time I wanted something to blow up in her face it's now. As rude as that sounds this is the one time where I wish she was just dead wrong. But I also wish Shifty is right so my bias is taking aim at individuals now and I feel incredibly guilty about that.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
This is Kencineroar vs Grinch Leak all over again.
Such fun times.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I just don't want it to be Terry
Please Sakurai add true variety
Nakoruru would be enough to please me
Just don't do "another" basic fighting game character

SKX31

Smash Master
>mobile game in China

You think this is taking in mind their plans to release the Switch in China with Tencent’s help? SNK and Tencent are buddies after all
Yeah, I do think it's taking those plans in mind, and I wouldn't be surprised if Tencent helped SNK out. I'm also getting more convinced that Ultimate might be a launch game in China. Perhaps with the entire Fighter Pass included so that people won't miss out on the (assumed) SNK fighter and so Chinese Smash buyers catch up with the rest of the world.

The thing that convinces me further is that Nintendo and Tencent have already previewed the Switch in Shanghai, and they've sent in games like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey to the Chinese government for approval. Those kinds of preparations are not made lightly, and Nintendo's doing this with a megacorp's help. Also, Smash is a megaseller on BotW's and Odyssey's levels. I don't see why they would delay Smash.

It does pose a very interesting question of whether Tencent will want a fighter themselves down the line (further DLC or Smash 6), with the most suitable pick being a League of Legends character (Riot being Tencent's subsidiary). But that's for down the line, and for now I think they would be content with a SNK rep.

For the record, I don't live in China - but China's massive presence in one of my favorite games (Dota 2) sparked my interest in how things can be in there. Especially given that China has already a major presence in the video game industry.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Assuming SNK is inevitable, my hope goes to Metal Slug.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I don't know if the SNK thing was a mistake or not. Assuming it isn't, I personally am hoping for the company's de facto mascot: Enta-Girl Athena Asamiya. If not her, then I'm down if - like Tekken - they decide to unleash the Geese.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
What’s that image supposed to be? A trailer leak?
Unfortunately, I have no ****ing idea. I'm assuming that's an Isabelle amiibo in front of a screen. But that's all I can really make out. I thought it was the Kyo Figma, but the hair is widely different.

andree123

Smash Ace
Well, I changed my speculation on Porky and Sylux.

Porky will be part of the new boss battle mode set to be coming alongside Banjo/KOF rep/Lloyd Irving.
Sylux would be appearing as a standalone DLC fighter.

No changes on Lloyd Irving, except he might be the last one in the fighters pass instead.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
A blond-haired, red-wearing American character from a fighting game is involved in both as well!

That's the symbol from his jacket.
I asked why was he sure kyo was gonna be in also I know that's kyo in the image

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I really hope that the SNK rep will be some Metal slug protagonist. It's really a unique franchise and we don't really have that type of games represented in Smash bros.

That being said, I guess that a King of fighters rep make more sense, because the franchise is more relevant (having a game releasing next year). I'm not a big fan of the idea of having another character from a fighting game after Ryu and Ken, but I will admit that I don't really know a lot about KoF so maybe they will bring something cool.

Calane

Smash Ace
Is it actually time for Kyo's flames to burn in Smash? I sure hope it's him who gets that invitation.

jNkOQDp.gif

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
>wants to believe Sabi because they support the idea of the SNK listing not being a mistake
>doesn't want to believe Sabi because they say it isn't Marco

help

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Main character of KoF, which already partly inspired Smash (including the Smash Invitation) and He's one of the only main SNK faces that's not currently in a Crossover.
I hope they do the team thing and have the most popular KoF characters I'd say Kyo Terry and Mai but that would never happen

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm upset. I'm going to take a break for a bit. Tag me if Verge or anyone says anything.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So uh, about fighter_kind_sakura AND the Sabi “not female or Marco” screenshots:
Check the Nakoruru (ナコルル) tag on twitter, posts from before the site goof up happened mention this "sakura" leak, dunno where's the source because my japanese is not good

Resetera members are claiming the screencaps are fake.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I'm rooting for Nakoruru! If not Marco (Metal Slug) is also a nice character. I don't really care for Terry or Kyo

andree123

Smash Ace
What if Sakurai wanted Terry at some point be a playable in smash, but SNK wanted Kyo in smash instead?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyone who knows Japanese wanna look into the Nakoruru and Sakura thing?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I feel like it's Kyo. My choice would be Terry but I think it's Kyo.

JoltSmash13

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3196-7112-8608
Could someone please explain to me what this whole thing is about? How did it start? I’ve been gone a while so I don’t understand... a leak? A new character? What is SNK? Who is terry and kyo? I’m clueless. Why do you think they’re coming to smash again?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Could someone please explain to me what this whole thing is about? How did it start? I’ve been gone a while so I don’t understand... a leak? A new character? What is SNK? Who is terry and kyo? I’m clueless. Why do you think they’re coming to smash again?
Nintendo UK's page posted a teaser involving challenger pack 4 but accidentally left the Copyright change which added SNK to the mix.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
SNK is a video game company. They make King of Fighters, Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown, to name a few series.

Terry and Kyo are characters from King of Fighters.

An official Nintendo page listed SNK as copyright holders for the fourth Smash DLC pack, making it look like an SNK character is coming to Smash.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
A DLC page for Challenger Pack 4 on Nintendo of Europe's site listed SNK in the copyright information. SNK (not to be confused with Shingeki No Kyojin, or Attack on Titan) is a Japanese company mainly known for arcade games, especially Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown, and the King of Fighters.

Terry Bogard, from Fatal Fury, is the company mascot, while Kyo Kusanagi is the main character of the King of Fighters series.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Part of me thinks it's gotta be either Kyo or Nakoruru.

For the most part, I'm trying to stray away from characters who've showed up as a guest in other fighting games, which leaves out the following:
  • Terry: Fighting EX Layer
  • Mai and Kula: Dead or Alive 6
  • Haohmaru: Soulcalibur 6
  • Geese: Tekken 7
  • Iori: Million Arthur
Kyo benefits from being KOF's main protagonist, whereas Nakoruru would help push Samurai Shodown on the Switch - not to mention being a substantially popular character in her own right.

That said, I feel like Kyo (or hell, even Terry) would benefit from the fact that every major third party franchise in Smash has been represented by their main protagonist initially, and him burning the Smash envelope as a callback to the early KOF titles would be such a good visual to start his reveal trailer with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom