• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ornl

Smash Ace
SNK & Google Trends
These rankings show the popularity of SNK licenses compared to other third-party series in Smash Bros and other competitors.
Google Trends can measure different popularities, although this is not enough and the benchmarks are not always right. It can not be completely representative.

-> Overwatch
01 - Final Fantasy
02 - Sonic / -> Resident Evil
03 - Pac-Man
04 - Dragon Quest
05 - Monster Hunter
-> Undertale
-> DOOM

06 - Metal Gear
07 - Street Fighter
08 - Megaman / -> Tomb Raider
09 - Tekken
-> The King of Fighters
10 - Tales of
11 - Persona
-> Harvest Moon
-> Crash Bandicoot

12 - Bomberman
13 - Castlevania
-> Ninja Gaiden
-> Professor Layton / Ace Attorney

14 - Project Zero
-> Metal Slug
15 - Bayonetta
16 - Shovel Knight
17 - Banjo-Kazooie
-> Samurai Shodown
18 - Virtua Fighter
01 - Dragon Quest
02 - Monster Hunter
03 - Final Fantasy
04 - Tales of
-> Resident Evil
05 - Metal Gear / Persona
07 - Megaman / Tekken
-> Ace Attorney
09 - Street Fighter
-> Harvest Moon
10 - Project Zero
-> Undertale
-> The King of Fighters

11 - Bayonetta / -> Professor Layton
12 - Sonic / -> Overwatch
13 - Bomberman
14 - Castlevania
15 - Pac-Man
-> Tomb Raider
16 - Virtua Fighter / -> DOOM
-> Samurai Shodown
-> Metal Slug
-> Ninja Gaiden
-> Crash Bandicoot

17 - Shovel Knight
18 - Banjo-Kazooie

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sabi talks about this potential leak
View attachment 236324
I think that pretty much confirms that we are getting an SNK rep shown this week. As for who, well thats anyones guess, but thats still pretty hype.

Will it Be Terry, the lead of KoF?

Will it be Mai, considered one of the biggest Female character game characters(in popularity and reconition, maybe other places*is shot)

Will it be Nakoruru, who while not the face of Samurai Showdown is arguable the most popular of it, and a Samurai showdown rep fits with it coming out in switch in december?

Will it be Athena, SNK's first Mascot of sorts and appears in multiple SNK properties now?

Or will it be Metal Slug rep, a complete curve ball but Sakurai loves his curveballs.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Sabi appears believe that this is legitimate information being spread early, given there isn't a possible third option between mistake or early...

Wait a second, is there a source on that Sabi statement? Can they be verified as saying that? It wouldn't be the first time somebody has faked photos of statements by known leakers. That has happened to Shinobi, though then it was somebody faking him backpeddaling on Banjo when he knew Banjo was in.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Will it Be Terry, the lead of KoF?

Will it be Mai, considered one of the biggest Female character game characters(in popularity and reconition, maybe other places*is shot)
It'll be Fem Terry for the best of both worlds ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Didn't Sabi post a picture of a bird a few months ago? And Nakoruru uses a bird.... and that Milky leak said the fighter would be a female with a flying weapon... a lot seems to be pointing to Nakoruru.

Plus been hearing recent japanese rumors saying the next fighter was a japanese girl in a red and white shrine maiden outfit....

It'll be Fem Terry for the best of both worlds ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm all for some good old fashion gender bending

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Because of SNK's constant change of characters in each crossover, I think the frontrunners for this Smash DLC are Kyo, Athena and Nakoruru.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
No, we’re getting D. Va in Doom Eternal obviously /s

Though I have been thinking. They rolled out the pages for 4 and 5 this soon. Double reveal + potential announcement of more on the way??? After all there were more than 6 WoL placeholder slots (16 to be precise) and if 3DS/WiiU is anything to go by I think all those slots just might be filled, esp given the “surplus”

The “budget” comment I’m led to believe is only for character showcase presentations.
THIS IS HOW THE PHOENIX/LAYTON DUAL REVEAL IS STILL PLAUSIBLE

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
If Sabi and Gamexplain are with it I'll take just a bite. I'm not a follower of SNK but let's see.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think I know what's going on.

Sakurai realized the last two Pass characters would leak anyway, so he decided to leak them himself to not give leakers the satisfaction. We're all speculating here, but this man is playing 5D backgammon. :4pacman:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Since some people are just now learning about SNK, I'll use this time to post my giant SNK writeup from the RTC thread many months back. It includes some info on history on SNK's chances, character histories, and what they have going for them. This post was from February so please do not reply to it:

As for which SNK character I think would get in, I'll post my comment from a fairly recent RTC post:

I said:
So what has changed since then? First off in terms of personal views, I've changed the order of which SNK characters I think would be the most likely. If SNK had to choose a character, I now think their priorities would go something like this:

Terry > Kyo > Nakoruru > Haohmaru > Mai > Metal Slug rep > Athena > everyone else​

• Terry is without a doubt the most likely SNK rep. He's practically the face of the company and is their most popular character.
  • Kyo is the next runnerup, being the main character of SNK's longest running series and being very popular on his own.
  • Nakoruru benefits from being one of SNK's most popular characters and can be seen as a mascot for the company along with Terry. The main thing holding her back is that she is not the main character of her own game.
  • Haohmaru is another popular SNK character who has the recent Samurai Shodown Reboot to give him a boost in popularity. He has roughly more or less the same amount of things going for him as Nakoruru, though one slight advantage he has is that he is the main character of their series.
  • Mai is also incredibly popular though if Mythra and Camilla's censored spirits are anything to go by then it'll be difficult to implement her costume/sex appeal without hampering it greatly. Also like Nakoruru she is not the main character of her game meaning she'd probably be ignored over Terry.
  • Metal Slug is probably SNK's biggest non-FG series and could probably work in a Bowser Jr./Hero alt type of character.
  • Athena is one of SNK's older characters who is a KoF regular. Nothing really going against her but it's just that the others are more popular.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The most damning thing that this could, indeed, just be a mistake is the fact that the usual copyrights aren't there. Which even fighter Pack 5 has.
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/Challenger-Pack-5-1519372.html
Y'know the usual.
Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.

Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft
Fighter Pack 4 just has SNK listed.
©SNK CORPORATION ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/Challenger-Pack-4-1519368.html

HOWEVER! Hero is so far the only character to have different copyrights from the others. Which are:
©ARMOR PROJECT / BIRD STUDIO / SQUARE ENIX ©SUGIYAMA KOBO
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/Hero-Challenger-Pack-1519384.html

AND FOR THE CHERRY ON TOP! Challenger Pack 3 is just broken.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Search/Search-299117.html?q=challenger pack 3&f=147393

Does all that mean that it absolutely was JUST a mix up? No. But it also doesn't mean that an SNK character is set in stone. Basically it could go either way.

I do want to say though, in terms of Hero, Square Enix is very particular about their copyright, more so than any other company I've ever seen so seeing their names listed exclusively with the other developers but none of the usual Smash copyrights is not surprising to me.

It could go either way fam, we'll just have to wait and see... and I'd wager we don't see this character in the next Direct either... so it might be a while.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Only conclusion I came to (that I'm probably late on) is that there is no rhyme or reason to any of the copyright listings

• Joker has all the Smash copyrights
  • Hero only has the copyrights relevant to DQ
  • Banjo has this where it only has the copyrights relevant to Banjo
  • Our still unknown 4th character has the SNK copyrights
  • Our still unknown 5th character has all the SMash copyrights (including Atlus and Microsoft)
Conclusion: I have no ****ing idea

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It could go either way fam, we'll just have to wait and see... and I'd wager we don't see this character in the next Direct either... so it might be a while.
I hope not. I don't really want to talk about nothing but Terry, Kyo, Mai, Nakoruru, and Metal Slug for the next two months.

EDIT: Especially with how the conversation on Mai went last time.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Does that mean #5 is a character from an existing company? Maybe even a first party??
That’s what we’re led to believe, and it lines up with the milk bosatu rumor which says #5 has “already appeared”

god i feel like ive repeated that too many times to count today

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Well whoever 5 is has to be a break the internet kinda of character
Very unlikely chance of this happening. Whoever the fifth character is, salt will be everywhere. It's almost impossible to end the pass on a character that would satisfy everyone.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok so JP Twitter is supposedly saying FP4’s codename is fighter_kind_sakura? (Possibly hinting at Nakoruru)

Is there a reputable source for this though?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Very unlikely chance of this happening. Whoever the fifth character is, salt will be everywhere. It's almost impossible to end the pass on a character that would satisfy everyone.
Well if milk said it's a character we've already seen I could assume it's one of the mii costumes turned fighter and if I had to guess monster hunter or lloyd

SKX31

Smash Master
For the matter being, said copyright is the same in other trailers with SNK characters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgMIlAYrXGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MK2TKFFtQA
I wouldn't call this notice a "copy-paste" from SNK Heroines.
Let's not throw SNK's chances out of the window just yet folks.
No mention of the Chinese joint venture owning SNK anywhere then - SNK's consistently alone. Confirms my suspicions posted earlier. Otherwise - again - the trailers and the SNK Heroines page would feature "© Leyou Technologies / Ledo Millenium / 37 Games". I kinda feel like a broken record, but that might be worth emphasizing.

Also, SNK's not the only Chinese-owned company doing things without its parent's trademark - Riot Games (the ones behind League of Legends) do not display Tencent's (Chinese megacorp and Riot's parent company) copyright on their League webpage (edit - regardless of region): (Full Image of the EU West page provided in spoiler)

LeagueCopyright.png

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Well if milk said it's a character we've already seen I could assume it's one of the mii costumes turned fighter and if I had to guess monster hunter or lloyd
ghfghfghnbfcgfcnhgt.jpg

Welp, it truly isn't over until it's over!

Gosh it's kinda like the Grinch leak vs Box theory thing all over again, tho I wonder if maybe Ryu could be the Box Theory in this situation? What do you all think?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Even though Terry is kinda the mascot of SNK, Banjo getting in over Chief shows that the mascot doesn’t need to be in first.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Kinda heartbroken to be honest. Not just because Hayabusa might not be in Smash, which I kind of expected since it sounded too good to be true, but also because Hayabusa finally, FINALLY got his time in the sun of Smash Speculation. And it lasted less than a day.

:034:

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
i would like mai so much more than someone like geno so i'm down.
especially since i dont expect banjo to be very complex.

toonito

Smash Ace
not only i agree with that Smash reveals tend to be frontloaded

Melee: Mr. Game and Watch was the last character revealed

Brawl: Snake was IIRC one of the earliest and Sonic wasn't last either, Brawl's last were R.O.B and Toon Link

WiiU: Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud most hyped and left field; Corrin and Bayonetta were the last characters and didn't get the same reception

Ultimate: Ridley, King K Rool most hyped for base roster; ended with Ken and Incineroar
Banjo so far most hyped from the Fighter Pass

keep your expectations in check

blackghost

Smash Champion
Even though Terry is kinda the mascot of SNK, Banjo getting in over Chief shows that the mascot doesn’t need to be in first.
master chief got passed over in killer instinct as well. not even the first time.

as for most hyped i really dont care. i want interesting characters to play. hyping characters up then them disappearing is lame AF. in smash 4 and ultimate the hyped characters prelaunch are played by no one. even bajo looks utterly basic from what has been shown.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Kinda heartbroken to be honest. Not just because Hayabusa might not be in Smash, which I kind of expected since it sounded too good to be true, but also because Hayabusa finally, FINALLY got his time in the sun of Smash Speculation. And it lasted less than a day.

:034:
Such is smash speculation I’m afraid. But hey, at least he had limelight like three separate times now.

But watch, this SNK stuff is gonna end up being fake somehow and then someone like Heaven Weapons Guy is gonna dominate speculation for a day or two lol.

master chief got passed over in killer instinct as well. not even the first time.

as for most hyped i really dont care. i want interesting characters to play. hyping characters up then them disappearing is lame AF. in smash 4 and ultimate the hyped characters prelaunch are played by no one. even bajo looks utterly basic from what has been shown.
I was talking about Smash though, not KI. For a while the trend was to pick the company’s mascot/most popular franchises to put in the game. Plus, is Sakurai wanted Chief he could get Chief. After all, he was able to secure characters like Cloud and Hero who rarely cross over at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom