• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Almost all of you were like "The last two slots are either going to be a Capcom rep, Doom Slayer, Crash, or Ryu Hayabusa." You can never predict Sakurai folks. Of course, I was wrong about either Lloyd, Porky or both but I was like one of the few people that believe either of those two.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wasn't there a Sabi hint about a bird? And that random 4chan post about a female character no one would expect.

Hmmm

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Looks like that one rumor that claimed that the next fighter is a female character, is from a fighting game, from a new company, and uses a throwing weapon might actually be legitimate.

Calane

Smash Ace
The recent leak has brought me back to this site for a bit.

I actually really like KoF, and I've enjoyed most other SNK games that I've played. Color me hyped! I'm personally hoping for Kyo or Nakoruru.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That confirms my suspicions then. This is 98% legit. Thank you

Looks like that one rumor that claimed that the next fighter is a female character, is from a fighting game, from a new company, and uses a throwing weapon might actually be legitimate.
Eh. At this point, I think I'd give the lean to Kyo. I don't think Milk's leak is real.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Said rumor also said FP5 had “already appeared” meaning it’s another rep from an already represented company, including Nintendo.

Could be:
- were getting either a Capcom or Bamco character but not both
- could be Geno or another choice for a third Square Enix rep (prob Geno tho since no doubt he did well on the ballot)
- a different Nintendo character, excluding Assist Trophies but including Spirits. Black Shadow? Bandana Waddle Dee? Elma?!

For the record I still believe a new Nintendo rep wouldn’t be Edelgard, Byleth or Akira Howard, since Spring Man’s an AT and Rex is a Mii Costume, which to me means no new Nintendo characters past 2017 (with a possible exception of Octolings as you can just take Inkling’s kit and tweak it a bit)

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Wasn't there a Sabi hint about a bird? And that random 4chan post about a female character no one would expect.

Hmmm
The second one was debunked by Vergeben himself, specifically the part about the character using a mecha.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Its just so insane how the speculation turns in smash. Really anything could happen. This doea open up a lot more guesses, as that company has a bunch of franchises and characyers that could work.

for SNK, terry is the lead, and is super famous and could work, but Mai is more famous then him. Eitherworks, but mai fits that old milky leak of a female with a projectile(she throws her fan). Only issue Mai has is if nintendo thought she was too sexy

A metal slug character would be out of left field, be very different playwise, which so far is fitting the full dlc list, and also has a ton of female leads that use projectiles.

Samurai showdown is their neqest game, and that samurai guy is the main lead, but Nakoruru is very popular in the series as well, and also has a unique projectile.

Last, Athena, one of their earliest games and characters, and may have been their first mascot could work as well.

D

Deleted member

I'm mostly hoping the SNK rep is Iori just so that we can get his laugh in Smash.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If Milk's leak is real, Mai is definitely the fourth Fighter Pass character. Said rumor also claims that the 5th FP character "already appeared" so they will most likely be either a character who appears in Ultimate in a non-fighter capacity or a character from a company that already has a fighter.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Said rumor also said FP5 had “already appeared” meaning it’s another rep from an already represented company, including Nintendo.

Could be:
- were getting either a Capcom or Bamco character but not both
- could be Geno or another choice for a third Square Enix rep (prob Geno tho since no doubt he did well on the ballot)
- a different Nintendo character, excluding Assist Trophies but including Spirits. Black Shadow? Bandana Waddle Dee? Elma?!
Waluigi is gonna get a promotion.

give Geno or Porky, pls Sakurai.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
If Milk's leak is real, Mai is definitely the fourth Fighter Pass character. Said rumor also claims that the 5th FP character "already appeared" so they will most likely be either a character who appears in Ultimate in a non-fighter capacity or a character from a company that already has a fighter.
Of that 5th character already appeared and that milk leak is legit. Its eother Geno or Shantae. Geno i feel is big for a final reveal character, as he has been by far thw most wanted character in smash history.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Mai doesnt use projectiles though right? That's Nakoruru

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Mai doesnt use projectiles though right? That's Nakoruru
Last time I checked, Mai does use a throwing fan, so that counts according to the rumor. It specified a throwing weapon specifically, like a boomerang or a shuriken.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
JUST HEARD THE NEWS!

THE FUTURE IS NOW BABY!

I'm down for anyone but pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease let it be Terry, Kyo, or Nakoruru.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Of that 5th character already appeared and that milk leak is legit. Its eother Geno or Shantae. Geno i feel is big for a final reveal character, as he has been by far thw most wanted character in smash history.
Be warned, as the "already appeared" quote may also refer to a Capcom or Namco Bandai character.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Also it seems that Namco is likely going with Pac-Man alone for the third time in a row. Capcom I can believe will get a fourth character, but between that and more new companies I think Namco is the less likely between them and Capcom. Both are above Konami because... well Goemon and Frogger are the last two they've got of any consequence, and their appeal is too limited for something that demands money and doesn't have guaranteed sellers like Mario and Pikachu.

Let's pretend character 4 is one of Terry, Nakoruru or Marco. Apparently leaks have mentioned the latter two, so that's why I am now giving them the time of day even though I believe it's nearly assuredly Terry, as he is the most popular and appears to be the main mascot of SNK, the most prolific character.

So spitballing ideas for character 5...
  • Leon S. Kennedy (I'd put Jill or Survivor here, but I think this pass will be all male. I'd put Wesker here but there's no precedent for antag > protag.)
  • Phoenix Wright
  • (I'm a believer that this is an all male pass, but) Amaterasu
  • (more than likely didn't make it, but) Dante
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • (see Ammy) Tracer
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Doom Slayer
  • (indie) Frisk (I'd put Sans here, but again, there's no precedent for antag > protag.)
  • (indie) Quote
  • (indie) (see Ammy) Reimu
  • (I don't believe it personally, but) Lloyd Irving
  • (see Lloyd) Heihachi Mishima
  • (see Lloyd) KOS-MOS
  • (see Lloyd) Agumon
  • Porky
  • Sylux
  • (see Ammy) Adeleine
  • Byleth
  • (see Ammy) Edelgard (in contention as I believe she has the freshness Byleth lacks, being the Chrom to Robin story wise but the Robin to Chrom uniqueness-wise)
And a few conditional ones, that break fan rules...
  • (if Spirits allowed) (see Ammy) Elma
  • (indie) (if Spirits allowed) (see Ammy) Shantae
  • (if Spirits allowed) Bandana Waddle Dee
  • (if Spirits allowed) Rayman
  • (Nintendo/Sakurai did not deliberately limit characters per company to one) (in addition, even if the latter is true, given ATLUS is credited separately from SEGA they might count as different companies) (see Ammy) Arle
  • (see Arle) (see Ammy) Lara Croft
  • (if Spirits allowed) (see Arle) Geno
  • (see Arle) (is not a Mii Costume) Steve
  • (see Arle) (is not a Mii Costume) Master Chief
  • (see Arle) (is not a Mii Costume) Anybody who isn't Terry, Nakoruru or Marco
  • (see Arle) (is not a Mii Costume) One of Two of Terry, Nakoruru or Marco
I believe characters who have gotten Mii Costumes made just for them in this game are very unlikely as that would be a complete waste of development time and resources. Why bother making it if you're going to make them playable? They're usually reserved for if the character didn't, or couldn't, or wasn't in consideration for making the roster of Fighters. Assist Trophies, Pokéball Mons and Bosses also fall into this category to a much greater extent. Non-video game and Sony characters are... well, self-explanatory.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
If that 5th character already appeared and that milk leak is legit. Its eother Geno or Shantae.
We could even get characters appearing in other parts of the games too, such as The Prince of All Cosmos or Heihachi, and spirits exist of neither of them.

IF IT'S THE PRINCE THEN I'M GONNA EXPLODE! ^O^

SKX31

Smash Master
Last time I checked, Mai does use a throwing fan, so that counts according to the rumor. It specified a throwing weapon specifically, like a boomerang or a shuriken.
JUST HEARD THE NEWS!

THE FUTURE IS NOW BABY!

I'm down for anyone but pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease let it be Terry, Kyo, or Nakoruru.

If a KoF character is indeed in I do assume that the character's looks is going to be mostly animated. But they could also go truly weird and use a mostly liveaction look:

...Nah in that case I think Sakurai and co will stick to the traditional animated look given the choice.

Anyhow, China is the background reason why SNK's probably getting into Smash because a Chinese company saved SNK from bankruptcy (see previous page). How the turntables. So in this case there will be an American-owned and a Chinese-owned character in Smash. In the same Fighter Pass.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
QUICK REMINDER!
This was copied and pasted from one of SNK Heroines DLC pages in NOE's site.
I don’t think we’re getting Miss X specifically tho (who FYI is literally Iori in drag, not even gender swapped like Heroine’s Terry)

Is Nakoruru in Heroines at least?

Also it seems that Namco is likely going with Pac-Man alone for the third time in a row. Capcom I can believe will get a fourth character, but between that and more new companies I think Namco is the less likely between them and Capcom. Both are above Konami because... well Goemon and Frogger are the last two they've got of any consequence, and their appeal is too limited for something that demands money and doesn't have guaranteed sellers like Mario and Pikachu.

Let's pretend character 4 is one of Terry, Nakoruru or Marco. Apparently leaks have mentioned the latter two, so that's why I am now giving them the time of day even though I believe it's nearly assuredly Terry, as he is the most popular and appears to be the main mascot of SNK, the most prolific character.

So spitballing ideas for character 5...
  • Leon S. Kennedy (I'd put Jill or Survivor here, but I think this pass will be all male. I'd put Wesker here but there's no precedent for antag > protag.)
  • Phoenix Wright
  • (I'm a believer that this is an all male pass, but) Amaterasu
  • (more than likely didn't make it, but) Dante
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • (see Ammy) Tracer
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Doom Slayer
  • (indie) Frisk (I'd put Sans here, but again, there's no precedent for antag > protag.)
  • (indie) Quote
  • (indie) (see Ammy) Reimu
  • (I don't believe it personally, but) Lloyd Irving
  • (see Lloyd) Heihachi Mishima
  • (see Lloyd) KOS-MOS
  • (see Lloyd) Agumon
  • Porky
  • Sylux
  • (see Ammy) Adeleine
  • Byleth
  • (see Ammy) Edelgard (in contention as I believe she has the freshness Byleth lacks, being the Chrom to Robin story wise but the Robin to Chrom uniqueness-wise)
And a few conditional ones, that break fan rules...
  • (if Spirits allowed) (see Ammy) Elma
  • (indie) (if Spirits allowed) (see Ammy) Shantae
  • (if Spirits allowed) Bandana Waddle Dee
  • (if Spirits allowed) Rayman
  • (Nintendo/Sakurai did not deliberately limit characters per company to one) (in addition, even if the latter is true, given ATLUS is credited separately from SEGA they might count as different companies) (see Ammy) Arle
  • (see Arle) (see Ammy) Lara Croft
  • (if Spirits allowed) (see Arle) Geno
  • (see Arle) (is not a Mii Costume) Steve
  • (see Arle) (is not a Mii Costume) Master Chief
  • (see Arle) (is not a Mii Costume) Anybody who isn't Terry, Nakoruru or Marco
  • (see Arle) (is not a Mii Costume) One of Two of Terry, Nakoruru or Marco
I believe characters who have gotten Mii Costumes made just for them in this game are very unlikely as that would be a complete waste of development time and resources. Why bother making it if you're going to make them playable? They're usually reserved for if the character didn't, or couldn't, or wasn't in consideration for making the roster of Fighters. Assist Trophies, Pokéball Mons and Bosses also fall into this category to a much greater extent. Non-video game and Sony characters are... well, self-explanatory.
Might wanna include Black Shadow and Octolings for (if spirits are allowed)

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Namco chances really gonna drop if you subscribe to a pass pulling from multiple genres and their two biggest chances coming from JRPGs and Fighters.

Genre rules would say FPS, Survival Horror and Visual Novel are left. But honestly this completely blows out most previous speculation, so we might actually have fun between now and December

D

Deleted member

Be warned, as the "already appeared" quote may also refer to a Capcom or Namco Bandai character.
The hopeful in me wants to believe a Koei-Tecmo character would also fit because of Fatal Frame, but that's me basically stretching it too thin since they aren't listed under the trademarks. It probably will be Resident Evil, though I'd be incredibly shocked if it turned out Byleth was the last character.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well, if this SNK thing is real, on the one hand, I'm disappointed it's not Ryu, but on the other hand, it means every leak has been fake(which I assumed already, but this would confirm it), which means we're back to having no idea who the 5th is, which is kinda exciting.

But, yeah. Terry or Nakoruru. Both fine picks. Terry slightly less hype because he's already done a lot of guest work this generation.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Oh yeah i know, but what capcom or namco character fits a huge final spot announcement?
Who said the last character will be huge? While I think they'll be, Smash reveals are traditionally frontloaded. Mega Man was the second reveal of Smash 4, while Shulk was the final pre-release and Duck Hunt was the final one pre-DLC. Compare Mewtwo or Ryu to Bayonetta and Corrin in terms of reception and it's night and day. Compare Ridley to Incineroar. Snake and Wario to Olimar and R.O.B. and Toon Link. Even as far back as Melee, Bowser to Mr. Game and Watch.

Smash reveals are frontloaded. Except for E3 reveals, which tend to be the biggest of the game, but those never have happened to contain the final characters.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's absolutely Mai Shiranui.

Nintendo, how did you **** up this bad homie?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Would be cool with an SNK rep. Would love to see Terry, Mai, or Athena.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well, if this SNK thing is real, on the one hand, I'm disappointed it's not Ryu, but on the other hand, it means every leak has been fake(which I assumed already, but this would confirm it), which means we're back to having no idea who the 5th is, which is kinda exciting.

But, yeah. Terry or Nakoruru. Both fine picks. Terry slightly less hype because he's already done a lot of guest work this generation.
I do like how so far we have no idea on the 5th, and really in nintendo didnt screw up we had no idea of the 4th. Nintendo is being good at keepig secrets. I would prefer Nakoruru myself as she would be more unique.

Who said the last character will be huge? While I think they'll be, Smash reveals are traditionally frontloaded. Mega Man was the second reveal of Smash 4, while Shulk was the final pre-release and Duck Hunt was the final one pre-DLC. Compare Mewtwo or Ryu to Bayonetta and Corrin in terms of reception and it's night and day. Compare Ridley to Incineroar. Snake and Wario to Olimar and R.O.B. and Toon Link. Even as far back as Melee, Bowser to Mr. Game and Watch.

Smash reveals are frontloaded. Except for E3 reveals, which tend to be the biggest of the game, but those never have happened to contain the final characters.
That is true. They are quite.... bad at ending a hype lol.

It's absolutely Mai Shiranui.

Nintendo, how did you **** up this bad homie?
Whats wrong with Mai?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Was the leak originated in Nintendo of Spain web for sure? Then cool down the guns, bugs and misunderstandings are very common in NOE. Some days ago claimed in their Twitter account that 'Astral chain' was directed by Kamiya and Kamiya himself corrected them, they're a bit clumsy. The copy-paste explanation seems legit to me watching their track-record, it's not the first time they **** around.
I'm not with this leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom