• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Sakurai, please make this one a surprise...don't let some people spoil the party...

D

Deleted member

Don't make me repeat myself...

But in that case, I'll just take it with a grain of salt and not believe it. Hopefully, I don't want to be disappointed regardless of the "we need female reps" thing, but I am still desperate.

This was actually the first time an event like this literally broke me apart.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, where did you see that quote from Vergeben?
Right here

But in that case, I'll just take it with a grain of salt and not believe it. Hopefully, I don't want to be disappointed regardless of the "we need female reps" thing, but I am still desperate.

You're always welcome to not take part of the discussion to repeat the same things over and over if you like

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Getting overly invested in any particular outcome is usually not the best idea. It's a good way to lose your cool.

Nobody here would've built Smash's rosters identically to Sakurai, but if you can go with the flow, and appreciate what we have for what it is, then it'll be very difficult to get mired in dashed expectations. Not everyone is going to share your priorities, and often that includes those calling the shots.

I mean, were it up to me, FE would've capped out two or three Marths ago. But what am I gonna do, Sakurai keeps taking Opossum Opossum 's bribes.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
Wow, so Sabi really did just assume that Verge would be "skeptical" of this leak, and reported that he said as much to her personally.
I like Sabi, but IMO things like that are a quick way to tarnish your reputation and even possibly make enemies with other leakers.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yep, That's the reason I said she's walking a very fine line.
No she isn't, there's no way Nintendo ONLY went for her when all these other credible leakers have been running free for years now. Makes no damn sense at all.

D

Deleted member

If I'm being honest here, the whole **** about Sabi just seems way to fishy. I mean, doesn't she has her source at Nintendo still? I would have imagined that her source would have been fired by now given they managed to get her identity so it wouldn't be that hard to find the source as well.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If Sabi’s C&D is real, they likely only went after her because they saw her big leaks of the other E3 presentations on her twitter and were sure she was gonna leak theirs too, mainly since she said she said she was going to. They don’t go after other leakers because they don’t stalk gaming forums, but can easily find things on social media.

They probably don’t know who her source is for this reason and got her identity from her journalist thing.

I’ll admit this is very fishy, though, but I don’t get why she would’ve faked it when she’s still letting people know what “”””””””””””rumors”””””””””””” are fake or not anyway, so I don’t want to distrust her just yet.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't distrust her but I'm just saying that there are A LOT of Twitter leakers who have been leaking stuff for a long time and have never gotten a C&D. Especially not one that lasts literally forever but also allows her to comment on "rumors" it's more likely that her Nintendo source backed out for fear of getting found out and she just blamed it on Nintendo. Smart thing to do too.

Last edited:

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I’ll admit this is very fishy, though, but I don’t get why she would’ve faked it when she’s still letting people know what “”””””””””””rumors”””””””””””” are fake or not anyway, so I don’t want to distrust her just yet.
A lot of people were asking her for Nintendo leaks especially when she hyped it up. Maybe the source never came through the night before and in a panic she came up with the lie in order to save her reputation since nobody would bat an eye over Nintendo sending C&Ds

While I wouldn't deny Sabi has leaked some things accurately before, this kind of stuff is drawing the line. I don't think Sabi knows anything about Smash

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Well someone thinks highly of themselves.
Pretty sure I ended up leaving the discord for similar reasons

I don't distrust her but I'm just saying that there are A LOT of Twitter leakers who have been leaking stuff for a long time and have never gotten a C&D. Especially not one that lasts literally forever but also allows her to comment on "rumors" it's more likely that her Nintendo source backed out for fear of getting found out and she just blamed it on Nintendo. Smart thing to do too.
If she did get a C&D, it would probably be due to how many eyes are on her after she hyped up those Nintendo leaks

A lot of people were asking her for Nintendo leaks especially when she hyped it up. Maybe the source never came through the night before and in a panic she came up with the lie in order to save her reputation since nobody would bat an eye over Nintendo sending C&Ds

While I wouldn't deny Sabi has leaked some things accurately before, this kind of stuff is drawing the line. I don't think Sabi knows anything about Smash
I wouldn't be surprised if the source got snuffed out

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

I’m kinda leaning towards this being the case too. But hey, at least this C&D stuff helped out that Paragon fraud with his BS Waluigi Undertale leak.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It seems her source is still around though, and is still part of her private discord. Fatmanonice and some other people know his identity and are part of the discord, and he still shares hints like he did before, so he wasn’t caught and is likely why Sabi stills knows Nintendo stuff since he’s the same guy she’s been talking to since last year.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It seems her source is still around though, and is still part of her private discord. Fatmanonice and some other people know his identity and are part of the discord, and he still shares hints like he did before, so he wasn’t caught and is likely why Sabi stills knows Nintendo stuff since he’s the same guy she’s been talking to since last year.
To be fair, some guy sharing vague pictures and letting people guess what they are isn't strong evidence that the source still works at Nintendo. I'm still not over that blue crab thing somehow meaning Link's Awakening.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
To be fair, some guy sharing vague pictures and letting people guess what they are isn't strong evidence that the source still works at Nintendo. I'm still not over that blue crab thing somehow meaning Link's Awakening.
Apparently it was supposed to reference the crabs on the beach, but yeah; while I can see hinting at stuff in this manner to be fun, it can be annoying especially when it can easily be tied to stuff you’re hoping for... (Me and some others thought the crab could be Pikmin, for example, and of course now we have the starling and how it can be tied to Geno and some other stuff).

Fatmanonice and the others trust him, it seems, though of course he could be lying to them if he got fired or quit. I’m not part of the discord so I can’t really judge. I think he could still likely be legit, though; he shared Banjo hints I think before Shinobi said anything.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Apparently it was supposed to reference the crabs on the beach, but yeah; while I can see hinting at stuff in this manner to be fun, it can be annoying especially when it can easily be tied to stuff you’re hoping for... (Me and some others thought the crab could be Pikmin, for example, and of course now we have the starling and how it can be tied to Geno and some other stuff).

Fatmanonice and the others trust him, it seems, though of course he could be lying to them if he got fired or quit. I’m not part of the discord so I can’t really judge. I think he could still likely be legit, though; he shared Banjo hints I think before Shinobi said anything.
Yeah, but if Sabi's story is true and she really did get found out, then all the hints after that might not be real. It would be weird if she got C&D'd but her source wasn't found out and continued to leak. What was real before might no longer be.

Renjamin

Smash Cadet
If we want to talk about representation in Smash I feel obliged to mention the abhorrent lack of Gooigi representation in Smash, he's reduced to being on the back of Luigi for only his grabs/throws and final smash. This simply will not stand in 2019 and I humbly request Sakurai to throw out DLC fighters 4 and 5 for Gooigi and Pink gold Gooigi

zferolie

Smash Hero
Honestly, we will be finding out the next smash character in at most 2 weeks. We will then find out who is right and who is wrong.

I myself dont think its Ryu, but wont be angry if its him. He does fit in very well and is a classic NES game character.

Do i want a girl more? Yes. Do i think a girl is next due to those milk rumors from ages ago(female model with some sort of projectile)? Yes. Will i cry or be pissed of its not? Nope.

I am really happy with the current smash roster and the dlc so far. All have brought their own uniqueness and representation. Do we need more? Always welcome.

I am still a very firm believer that we will be getting more dlc after this. Maybe 1st party only, maybe a mix, maybe a special echo pack. I am expecting at least 10 and at most 15 more fighters after this pass. Nintendo would be nuts not to keep supporting this game as there wont be a new smash till the next system. They supported splatoon 1 and 2 for 2 plus years, smash can easily do that as well.

D

Deleted member

This era is really special to me as I probably won't be purchasing another Nintendo system unless the Smash that comes with it is going to exceed my Ultimate expectations.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I myself really don't care at this point either who is the last two as I already got what I wanted. Anyone else I want is just literal icing on cake.

Though a literal part of me would be somewhat disappointed if Hayabusa wasn't true given I admit how unique he'd play. I can imagine a mix between:ultfalcon:, any sword user and:ultsheik:

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I myself really don't care at this point either who is the last two as I already got what I wanted. Anyone else I want is just literal icing on cake.

Though a literal part of me would be somewhat disappointed if Hayabusa wasn't true given I admit how unique he'd play. I can imagine a mix between:ultfalcon:, any sword user and:ultsheik:
Maybe my imagination is bad or i havent played much of his games, but i struggle to find how he would be mucj different from just a combo of shiek and grenjinja... sorry :(

volbound1700

Smash Master
It's just a shorthand.

https://smashboards.com/threads/sup...-rules-and-guidelines-read-this-first.446330/

Regarding Character Support threads:
1. Character threads must be for characters who originated from a video game.

• 3rd parties can have franchise threads, but it's still recommended to have a focus or examples of who you think would be interesting.
  • Nintendo-owned characters don't necessarily have to originate in a video game, but must still have a video game appearance.
  • All character threads are subject to staff approval
  • 3rd party characters must also be from a game franchise first

How do you know how the ESRB operates in general or views Joker in particular? You seem to trust them a lot more than I do to use common sense.

Joker's blade is very long to be considered a knife. I don't think it necessarily contradicts Sakurai's statement.
Epic Mickey was a video game made 2x. It had a unique theme and the character based on this game would have a very unique move set.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I find it really interesting that neither Vergeben or Sabi have flat out claimed the Hayabusa rumors are fake, only showed skepticism. I think both will look further into it, but considering the entire forest of fake leaks that sprouts every single day, the fact that it's not being easily dismissed means that, at least, it has some merit to it. It could still be wrong at the end of the day, but at least it's not just a random troll making things up.

Either way, having a second new company in the Fighter Pass would be a really interesting development for speculation.

SKX31

Smash Master
Epic Mickey was a video game made 2x. It had a unique theme and the character based on this game would have a very unique move set.
But, Mickey himself debuted as a cartoon, not as a video game, making him ineligible.
Thing is though, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai decided to completely avoid 4th party characters after merely considering James Bond back during 64 / Melee. Back then the "No 4th parties" rule didn't exist AFAIK - Sakurai first stated it during Brawl's development. I should note that, more often than not, 4th parties are very difficult to license - Sakurai himself noted that James Bond would require lots of stuff. Brosnan's portrait (had Bond been included in lets say 64 onwards, then Bond's face would likely have to be relicensed to account for Daniel Craig) included.

Goku happens to be another legal minefield (just look at Dragon Ball Z Abridged's disclaimer, it lists four different owners for DBZ! And Abridged has had problems with their videos being taken down, mind.). And I wouldn't be surprised if Mickey - the Disney company's face - would also be a legal minefield. We're not just talking Mickey's likeness and / or voice (depending on which Mickey) but also elements associated with Mickey. Does Donald / Goofy come along as trophies / Spirits / ATs / whatever? If that's the case they need to be licensed too. Etc.

It's easier to put a hard limit on 4th party characters and only have video game characters to focus on. Saves loads of legal costs / potential trouble. It doesn't change much of anything when the famous Smash 64 ad - and Melee's intro - literally advertised Smash as "Nintendo's All Stars go toe to toe!"

EDIT: Just remembered that Mickey and Donald were outright mentioned in Brawl's Chronicle menu. Two Game and Watch games (Mickey Mouse and Mickey and Donald) - Nintendo did outright license the two games, so I don't think Disney would make much of a fuss over what is essentially a small mention. Anything above a small mention though would be way trickier.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Mickey is a fascinating choice and I can't lie, Mickey vs. Mario is genuinely an awesome dream especially with Epic Mickey. However, though I'm more relaxed on certain fourth parties (specifically James Bond), I think it really is just too much trouble when we can continue to add video game icons first.

(Though low key I was hoping fighter pass 5 was Bond, that'd be the most hype yet weirdest announcement ever for me)

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I need to vent for a second: **** Battlefield stages. Theyre too small, the platforms are so ****ing sticky that if you land on one youre getting ****ed, projecticle spammerss like Link/Belmont/Piranha Plant/ and Isabelle just camp the corner.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
I find it really interesting that neither Vergeben or Sabi have flat out claimed the Hayabusa rumors are fake, only showed skepticism. I think both will look further into it, but considering the entire forest of fake leaks that sprouts every single day, the fact that it's not being easily dismissed means that, at least, it has some merit to it. It could still be wrong at the end of the day, but at least it's not just a random troll making things up.

Either way, having a second new company in the Fighter Pass would be a really interesting development for speculation.
I don't know about Sabi but for characters in Ultimate Vergeben seems to reveal information when confirmed by all of his sources. It's possible he's skeptical on Hayabusa because maybe one of his sources confirmed it but the others haven't.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I don't know about Sabi but for characters in Ultimate Vergeben seems to reveal information when confirmed by all of his sources. It's possible he's skeptical on Hayabusa because maybe one of his sources confirmed it but the others haven't.
Maybe. The leaker himself supposedly only talked because both of his sources agreed.

It will at least kill that blasted Mii Costume Theory.
Yes - though it doesn't exclude the Capcom or Namco characters from the competition. They'll still be the strongest contenders imo, it's just that only one could make it. Maybe neither.

Plus, the costumes can always be standalone or something. They never really depended on characters in Smash 4 except for Cloud, really.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m wondering if Vergeben has even heard anything about the next character; it’s possible he hasn’t heard a thing about who they are.

Apparently, according to him, it’s sometimes easier to get info about deconfirmations than confirmations, which is why he was able to determine the female mecha “leak” to be fake. It seems to me, though, that he hasn’t heard anything about Hayabusa or at least not from anyone he deems very trustworthy; not yet, at least.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I’m wondering if Vergeben has even heard anything about the next character; it’s possible he hasn’t heard a thing about who they are.

Apparently, according to him, it’s sometimes easier to get info about deconfirmations than confirmations, which is why he was able to determine the female mecha “leak” to be fake. It seems to me, though, that he hasn’t heard anything about Hayabusa or at least not from anyone he deems very trustworthy; not yet, at least.
My theory is that he have heard more than one character names (just like when he heard many Square Enix characters), and none of them fit the "female character in a mecha" criteria, thus knowing that this is fake, but not having 100% confirmation on who is the next fighter.

D

Deleted member

My theory is that he have heard more than one character names (just like when he heard many Square Enix characters), and none of them fit the "female character in a mecha" criteria, thus knowing that this is fake, but not having 100% confirmation on who is the next fighter.
So if this theory about Verge hearing more than 1 name is correct, would that imply we're getting a Koei-Tecmo rep in general? He hasn't debunked that it won't be Hayabusa, so I could imagine some of the names going around by sources would be between him, Zhao Yun, Yukimura, and William.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom