• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So if this theory about Verge hearing more than 1 name is correct, would that imply we're getting a Koei-Tecmo rep in general? He hasn't debunked that it won't be Hayabusa, so I could imagine some of the names going around by sources would be between him, Zhao Yun, Yukimura, and William.
Most of those characters are based on real life people, and thus, are ineligible.

D

Deleted member

Most of those characters are based on real life people, and thus, are ineligible.
I still don't believe this to be the case, and I don't think Sakurai would reject putting a Warriors character in Smash solely because they existed in real life. KT's version of the characters are distinct enough to be more of a video game character than their real life counterparts.

SKX31

Smash Master
Man do I have news for you about Dr. Kawashima.
I still don't believe this to be the case, and I don't think Sakurai would reject putting a Warriors character in Smash solely because they existed in real life. KT's version of the characters are distinct enough to be more of a video game character than their real life counterparts.
Real people are kinda tricky to include. Even if I think I've been here before (DW made me reconsider my opinion a bit from when I last disscussed this topic. More on that later)...

Oh yeah. Dr. Kawashima licensed and signed his name and likeness for Nintendo to use. Also, the Brain Age games (and his AT / Spirit) do not allude to Kawashima's real work as a neuroscientist. That's a bit easier. Historical figures on the other hand...

Nintendo can't exactly contact said historical figures and ask "Eh, uhm, excuse me Mr. General (referring to Zhao Yun), we come from hundreds / thousands of years (Zhao Yun died in the year 229) into the future. Excuse us, but could we get your likeness into a, ehm, this fighting game which runs on not animals, nor water power, but on controlled lightning?"

Pre-1800s peoples' minds officially blown.

I mean, there's one Spirit that's important in this discussion: Allessandro Inzaghi, from the GBA game Napoleon (a Fire Emblem-esque game released in Japan and France.) Inzaghi, for the record, never existed, and he's the only Spirit from that game in Ultimate. No Napoleon, no one of his generals or friends (not even Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, who later became King of Sweden under the name Charles XIV John. The current Swedish king is a descendant of Bernadotte) not his enemies. Because including Napoleon or any other historical character would raise a couple really uncomfortable questions. Such as:

"Does this Spirit battle rep this historical person?"

Now that's a massive can of worms. Even on people who have generally-agreed upon legacies, because suddenly the general public will notice "Oh, Napoleon's in the same game as Super Mario!" and there would be heated discussions around that. Professional historians would have to weigh in. Nintendo might want to avoid that most of the time.

That said, I kinda think DW has a bit easier route - Kid Icarus' spirits include real Greek gods, sure, but it's Kid Icarus' (different) take on them, not really based on the Greek myths. DW could go a similar route, going for example "Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)". And Dynasty Warriors seems to be pretty popular in China, which eases things further. Also, DW is based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, a very important cornerstone of Chinese literature (written during the 14th century). Not Records of the Three Kingdoms, the historical document written around the 3rd Century (Romance was based on Records. With its own twists.).

I don't think a DW rep would be immune to the heated debates listed above, but I can see them having an easier time. DW's characters are twice fictionalized from the real people. Or a fictionalization-on-a-fictionalization.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Isn't Mario TECHNICALLY based on a real person?
I think the problem with characters based on real people is more the legal rights, but I have extreme doubts that anyone owns the rights to Romance of the Three Kingdoms, seeing how popular the setting is in media.

https://www.nintendo.es/Contenido-descargable/Pack-del-aspirante-4-1519368.html
Sorry to double post, but Nintendo has somewhat leaked #4.
It's an SNK rep. That's all we know.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think the problem with characters based on real people is more the legal rights, but I have extreme doubts that anyone owns the rights to Romance of the Three Kingdoms, seeing how popular the setting is in media.
I think he’s just meant to be a caricature of Italians in general, not based on one specific person

SKX31

Smash Master
Both Mario and Kirby are named after real people IIRC. To qoute Wiki:

According to a widely circulated story, during localization of Donkey Kong for American audiences, Nintendo of America's warehouse landlord Mario Segale confronted then-president Minoru Arakawa, demanding back rent. Following a heated argument in which the Nintendo employees eventually convinced Segale he would be paid, they opted to name the character in the game Mario after him.
Shigeru Miyamoto stated that "Kirby" was chosen in honor of American lawyer John Kirby, who defended Nintendo in the Universal City Studios, Inc. v. Nintendo Co., Ltd. case in 1984 and that the guttural-sounding name contrasted amusingly with the character's cute appearance.
Legal rights is absolutely a factor too, but I'm also pretty sure as an armchair historian that Nintendo wants to avoid the can of worms out of an optics perspective.

Paging Sari! I may have some bits of sceptiscism left in me, but this could be big. Also, China / Latin America might rejoice.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
D

Deleted member

Well this sure changes things.

I can't believe how blatant it is showing SNK in the page as if it's intentionally shooting down Shifty's claim (which kills me inside), but I can't really be mad about it since it does mean Capcom and Bamco aren't going to take both spots in the Fighter Pass.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Welp. Terry's as good as in right now. I don't think anybody else really stands a chance at being the SNK character, but I wouldn't discount them yet.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I can't believe how blatant it is showing SNK in the page as if it's intentionally shooting down Shifty's claim (which kills me inside), but I can't really be mad about it since it does mean Capcom and Bamco aren't going to take both spots in the Fighter Pass.
The weird part is that the one for the 5th character is just the generic one for Smash with all the companies.

https://www.nintendo.es/Contenido-descargable/Pack-del-aspirante-5-1519372.html

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
"SNK is a small company and its games never sold as much as Street Fighter, a rep isn't likely."

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I've noticed among people discussing the spoiler that there seems to be a lot of discontent. The company is mostly known for fighting games with MS being the only major exception, so maybe that's where it comes from?

Mr. B is basically a lock to me now, so let's start discussing Character 5, the final pack.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
What does it say about the 5th one?

Oh SNK that’s means it’s gotta be terry as a matter of fact female alt is possible with terry just recently so Corrin/robin treatment for this one

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Nintendo: how many layers of leaks are you guys on

Smash community: like,, maybe 5 or 6 right now, my dude.

Nintendo: You are like a little baby, WATCH THIS

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
What does it say about the 5th one?
The 5th one has the Copyright info that you'd see ingame

"© 2018 Nintendo Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft"

SKX31

Smash Master
"SNK is a small company and its games never sold as much as Street Fighter, a rep isn't likely."
To add a pretty weird but interesting (and important) detail:

SNK's nowadays owned by a Chinese joint venture. This joint venture apparently was a former chicken meat supplier.
That a former chicken meat supplier probably talked with Nintendo about Smash is hilarious. But that's just me.

I've talked about Nintendo's and Tencent's project to launch the Switch in China (probably next year), before on this board, but if this development turns out true it pretty much confirms to me that Smash will be a Switch launch title in China (probably with the entire Fighter Pass included). Both Nintendo and Tencent are on very good terms with SNK, and SNK's mainline titles are incredibly popular in China (also Latin America).

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Wow thats a big boo boo on nintensoa part. But who could this mean really? Mai? A samurai showdown character? Metal slug?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If the leak is accurate (Nintendo's official website has made errors before, like saying that a Zero Suit Samus amiibo was compatible with the DuckTales games), then I'm okay with that choice of company, no matter who it winds up being. I'll spoiler-tag my wants from what company to be on the safe side.

Though I hope it's Terry Bogard, if we're sticking with main characters. Someone like Geese Howard or Rugal Bernstein would be great, but significantly less likely.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
#5 is placeholder, Joker and Hero don't have all the copyright info and they're from companies already repped.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Wait... if the fighter is SNK, then

Marco is confirmed thanks to the Fat Pikachu leak. As well as Frisk from Undertale

Nquoid

Smash Ace
So it looks like
Terry or Nakoruru
is confirmed. Second name only because of that Twitter leak which always felt weird, but I guess could easily be true now. We know that Nintendo and Tencent are close, and this would be a huge step towards bringing audiences who arent necessarily console users.

But honestly, after the conversation about female characters needing representation, if the sole female character in the pass is
Mai
I genuinely might explode from rage.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
this is literally one of the most hype things ever for me! Also hilarious that me and Sari called it!! SNK was THE biggest dark horse. Any character they pick will come with amazing music and be cool as ****!!!! Nakoruru with her chip damage and falcon? Terry Bogard, Mai Shiranui, Geese Howard, Marco Rossi and Fio, Leona, Kyo, oh my god!!! My hype is through the roof!!!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So it looks like
Terry or Nakoruru
is confirmed. Second name only because of that Twitter leak which always felt weird, but I guess could easily be true now. We know that Nintendo and Tencent are close, and this would be a huge step towards bringing audiences who arent necessarily console users.

But honestly, after the conversation about female characters needing representation, if the sole female character in the pass is
Mai
I genuinely might explode from rage.
Terry is higher in my eyes because as weird as this sounds terry alts can get the Corrin/Robin treatment with a male and female alt

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Well, this is quite the turn of events.
So is the Ryu Hayabusa leak... Dead or Alive?

D

Deleted member

Athena could also be an option for a character, as she is also one of the most popular characters and even had an arcade game in the 80s with an atrocious NES port.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Well, this is quite the turn of events.
So is the Ryu Hayabusa leak... Dead or Alive?
More than likely dead if it aimed Ryu as specifically #4. Which means that either way the Revised Google Theory's dead. Gotta turn off that popcorn machine!

At this point #5 is anyone's game, this is gonna be crazy.

Last edited:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman

So this kinda confirms a SNK Rep is coming to Smash bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom