• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
What if Sakurai wanted Terry at some point be a playable in smash, but SNK wanted Kyo in smash instead?
He'd tell them to piss off probably. Remember Sakurai was willing to drop Pac-Man if Bamco forced him to use Pac's Ghostly Adventures design.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey so

The FP4 page has been taken down

We are for sure getting an SNK character next. and calling it now, it’s Nakoruru with a Kyo Mii costume

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Part of me thinks it's gotta be either Kyo or Nakoruru.

For the most part, I'm trying to stray away from characters who've showed up as a guest in other fighting games, which leaves out the following:
  • Terry: Fighting EX Layer
  • Mai and Kula: Dead or Alive 6
  • Haohmaru: Soulcalibur 6
  • Geese: Tekken 7
  • Iori: Million Arthur
Kyo benefits from being KOF's main protagonist, whereas Nakoruru would help push Samurai Shodown on the Switch - not to mention being a substantially popular character in her own right.

That said, I feel like Kyo (or hell, even Terry) would benefit from the fact that every major third party franchise in Smash has been represented by their main protagonist initially, and him burning the Smash envelope as a callback to the early KOF titles would be such a good visual to start his reveal trailer with.
Other dark horse possibilioties include Athena(either classic or her Great+++ Grandaughter) or anyone from Team Metal Slug(Fio Germi plz)

D

Deleted member

Interesting development.

I'm having a blast with all the Twitter scrubs calling hate for the company. Best comedic seconds of my life.

#WhiningFoolsBegone

D

Deleted member

Hey so

The FP4 page has been taken down

We are for sure getting an SNK character next. and calling it now, it’s Nakoruru with a Kyo Mii costume
Whether if it's going to happen or not, NoE sure aren't going to just leave the page up longer than it already was. I do wonder if it's going to stay down until the reveal or just going to change the info on the page beforehand though.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Right now, I'm on Team Nakoruru. There's so much evidence pointing in her favor that I can't help but convince myself that she might be it. There's the flying weapon leak, her being one of the few SNK characters that hasn't appeared in a recent crossover yet, the bird image, and apparently something about the next character being code named "sakura". From what I understand she's the most popular character in SamSho, so if they were to pick someone from that game, it'd almost definitely be her.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Now, taking SNK's character into the mix, that's four third-party character in the Pass. While I was already looking for more and more proof to show that all five DLC characters will be guests, I believe it's just guaranteed at this point.

But who knows, does anyone here still expect a Nintendo character in that 1 out 5 chance?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
For the most part, I'm trying to stray away from characters who've showed up as a guest in other fighting games, which leaves out the following:
I've seen a few people with this train of thought and I'm not sure I follow? Is there any reason one guest starring role would prevent the same character guest starring in another?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Now, taking SNK's character into the mix, that's four third-party character in the Pass. While I was already looking for more and more proof to show that all five DLC characters will be guests, I believe it's just guaranteed at this point.

But who knows, does anyone here still expect a Nintendo character in that 1 out 5 chance?
I do. Especially if the flying weapon leak’s “already appeared” is hinting at Nintendo representation...

Plus in 4’s DLC, all the newcomers were third party except for one (Corrin)

SKX31

Smash Master
Soooo... Is Metal Slug still in the running?
For completion's sake, I looked over Metal Slug's presence in China. Again, SNK's nowadays owned by a Chinese joint venture, so it's applicable.

My search didn't turn up much (to be fair, neither did Samurai Showdown - KOF hogs most of the spotlight. KOF's been consistently loved in China since the 90s.). The best I can come up with is SNK's parent company wanting to pull a Marvel with SNK's series - including Metal Slug. There was a article which hinted that "thus obtained a series of IPs, including KOF (The King of Fighters), Samurai Shodown [sic], Metal Slug and Fatal Fury, which are all very popular among Chinese teenagers and youth." Not been able to confirm it just yet, but if Metal Slug Defense (a mobile game) claims that it reached 20 million without China, I wouldn't be surprised if Defense was downloaded quite a bit in China. Especially since KOF characters showed up in Defense.

So yeah, I'd say the chance is very small, but I find Metal Slug to be possible. The frontrunner in my mind is still KOF - especially since Sakurai loves that series himself - with Samurai Showdown in second.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I expect Nakoruru but im kinda leaning towards Kyo now. Sure, the model in that leak could be fanmade but it predating the big leak that happened today is a bit suspicious. Him being the protagonist and the fact Ryu is in the game I think helps him a bit more.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
What if Fighter Pack #4 was called SNK Tag Team where it's a combination of three SNK characters like Terry, Kyo, and someone else who you could instantly switch between with the press of a button?

One of the SNK fighters was the game that introduced the concept of instantaneous character switching mid fight, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

It isn't likely either way considering the workload but wow that'd be exciting.

ze9

Smash Ace
Against all odds, I'm saying Metal Slug. Fighting game characters cross over in fighting games. Action game characters cross over in action games.

D

Deleted member

What if Fighter Pack #4 was called SNK Tag Team where it's a combination of three SNK characters like Terry, Kyo, and someone else who you could instantly switch between with the press of a button?

One of the SNK fighters was the game that introduced the concept of instantaneous character switching mid fight, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

How the hell did you take the words out of my brain?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I've seen a few people with this train of thought and I'm not sure I follow? Is there any reason one guest starring role would prevent the same character guest starring in another?
It's business. There's a reason "Don't put your eggs in one basket" is a thing. The only companies that really put their characters in more than one game are typically indies. Most businesses will spread the love around.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
I view it less as "Geese is in Tekken therefore he absolutely should not be in Smash" and more of trying to propose we get characters that haven't gotten a big guest fighter appearance yet. IMO Kyo's case is a bit egregious (if that's the right word to use) considering that - again - he's the main character of SNK's flagship series, even if Terry himself is the mascot.

#WhiningFoolsBegone
is this the second coming of "hoes mad" but in an infinitely better format

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's business. There's a reason "Don't put your eggs in one basket" is a thing. The only companies that really put their characters in more than one game are typically indies. Most businesses will spread the love around.
Don't Capcom nearly always farm out Ryu whenever a crossover happens though, especially a fighting game? Maybe Capcom are the exception to the rule, but I always figured you stepped forward with your strongest option. I think Namco tend to throw Heihachi into crossovers where they want a Tekken rep too.

Granted I don't know enough about SNK to know if they do the same thing, but Ryu must have punched nearly every character that's been in a fighting game in the face by this point.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I am really thinking its Nakoruru or Terry, but leaning towards Nakoruru. So many leaks and rumors flying around her for many months now, even Sabi with the bird. It would make sense, especially since SNK may not want to double up their reps in crossovers.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

Right now the idea of a SNK character doesn’t excite me, but if this is what we got, I’d be super excited. That sounds really fun honestly.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

This is the concept that I actually find most likely just for the sake that one of KoF's main draws is the fact you stack 3 characters.

ze9

Smash Ace
The bird pic that was sent to Sabi was meant to reference
THE PEREGRIN FALCON SQUAD

KillerCage

Smash Master
If we are getting a SNK character, I want it to be a Metal Slug character like Marco.
While Terry and Mai do have merits, I would have preferred more unique movesets.

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Reminder that Sakurai mentioned King of Fighters a while back in an interview or a column or something I don't remember but it was on Source Gaming.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Reminder that Sakurai mentioned King of Fighters a while back in an interview or a column or something I don't remember but it was on Source Gaming.
Something about how he owned a kid so hard at King of Fighters '95 (he didn't know they were just a kid because of the way arcade machines are set up in Japan) that he felt really bad, inspiring him to start development on a simplified fighting game that people of all skill levels could equally enjoy (Dragon King, which became Smash).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Nakoruru, I don't see getting in over Haohmaru,
I do. SNK has said in the past that while Haohmaru is, like, the main character of SamSho, they consider Nakoruru to be the mascot of SamSho.

That bird also makes her way more interesting gameplaywise for Smash.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I'm pretty majorly disappointed that Namco is probably going to be#5 because it means I have to wait such a long time for KOS-MOS to get in but I think SNK is a good choice IF the character is female. I happen to be a huge Mai Shiranui fan and while I know almost nothing about Nakoruru, I know Sam showdown is becoming much more popular. Guest appearance in SC VI, etc.

SKX31

Smash Master

While I do like the idea in concept, I dunno if Sakurai and co. could take the workload? That's basically asking for a 3-in-1, and suddenly 5 characters become 7 essentially. If they had the time needed I'd feel more confident about the idea. But as it stands they'd need to be done with this and Fighter 5 by February... yeah. Oh and Banjo's not released yet.

Also, Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura , I found something you might be interested in. More Samurai Showdown mobile articles (with promotional stills and gameplay photos). It basically confirms that there's a significant interest in the series over in China. I think it's worth noting that Tencent helped SNK with the SamSho game, just as they helped with the KOF mobile game.

And to reaffirm a random thought I had: It's crazy that an American-owned character (Banjo) and a Chinese-owned character (SNK) are (probably) in the same Fighters Pass. I strongly doubt anyone would bet on that when Joker was revealed. Even with a massive payout.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Yep, it was this article. Full quote:

Sakurai said:
"A little time passed since then, to a time where I felt the fighting game [2] boom had leveled off a bit. I was slightly aimlessly playing “King of Fighters ‘95” when someone joined me, playing on the other side. Despite feeling that I’d really want to just play alone..the fight was on! I landed my moves cleanly, and quickly took the first two games. One more team member to go and victory was mine!"

"At the time, when I was playing well I would win about 50 matches in a row, so I probably wasn’t too bad at fighting games."
He mentions that he tried to land Zanretsuken combos so he most likely used Ryo Sakazaki as one of his three KoF characters. Ryo would probably never get though in since he is waaaaay too similar to Street Fighter's Ryu both in his moveset and appearance. He's so similar to Ryu that Capcom created Dan Hibiki to parody him (and Robert from Art of Fighting) for essentially being a Ryu ripoff.

Inb4 someone makes a Ryo support thread now.

I'm curious who the other two characters Sakurai would use in KoF 95 were though.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yep, it was this article. Full quote:

He mentions that he tried to land Zanretsuken combos so he most likely used Ryo Sakazaki as one of his three KoF characters. Ryo would probably never get though in since he is waaaaay too similar to Street Fighter's Ryu both in his moveset and appearance. He's so similar to Ryu that Capcom created Dan Hibiki to parody him (and Robert from Art of Fighting) for essentially being a Ryu ripoff.

Inb4 someone makes a Ryo support thread now.

I'm curious who the other two characters Sakurai would use in KoF 95 were though.
I know it's probably not Rugal (considering that his playable form was completely unaltered from the boss battle, unlike most fighting game bosses that become playable, I feel like choosing him would be considered bad form), but part of me hopes that it's Rugal.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I know it's probably not Rugal (considering that his playable form was completely unaltered from the boss battle, unlike most fighting game bosses that become playable, I feel like choosing him would be considered bad form), but part of me hopes that it's Rugal.
Oh man imagine if we got Rugal as a boss character. His genocide cutter would have to deal like 80% damage for players to get the true SNK boss syndrome feeling.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Depends of the game. Rugal in CvS2 was pretty inoffensive as a playable character (God Rugal not so much), and the one KOF 98 doesn't seemto ever cause noise. It's KOF 2002 Rugal which makes people so mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom