• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Well another ****ty DLC pick like Joker coming. No one at SNK moves the needle for me.

I wish Smash could be made by a Western Company and we could actually get characters that we grew up playing. **** the Japanese and these lame *** looking JPRG characters.

Here is the list that Sakurai should be reviewing for characters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

Someone mentioned Laura Croft. I know that I said that I wasn't excited about a female character but I would love to have her or Jill Valentine in the game over anything from SNK.

SNK is a legendary developer with decades of history, are a tour de force in Latin America and China, have tons of awesome IPs ranging from fighters to shooters to sports titles, and any and every one of their characters would be awesome in Smash. This really ain't it.

You can be disappointed - I know some people aren't as up on their arcade history - but to just brush this off? Especially with a yikes post like this? Not cool.

This is a massive moment for people like me or Sari and I also love that people who may be unfamiliar with SNK are learning about the properties we love and realizing that even if they didn't want an SNK character, Sakurai and the team are about to hit us with something unique and fun, a character you didn't even know you wanted.

I'm hoping it's Terry, but the idea of a trio of characters to represent multiple SNK properties and the team aspect of KOF could be awesome. Nakoruru would be fantastic too, especially with SamSho coming to the Switch this fall. Metal Slug is my nostalgic pick and I could see them giving us all four Metal Slug X characters in a single fighter, which would be lovely. Mai Shiranui, Kyo, or even a surprise like Geese Howard would all be fantastic. Tons of great options with great music to boot.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah not sure the hate SNK is getting. I don't even play many of their games but I reconize SNK as an important game company in the history of gaming. The rivalry between SF and KoF helped push the fighting game genre forward back in the 90's.

And everyone is just set on a KoF while I think Nakoruru for SamSho is the best bet, given how so far it seems everyone but banjo is tied to a new game coming to the switch. I am sure this is both an honoring of SNK and tieing to Samurai Showdown for switch. Plus so many japanese rumors are pointing to her.

As for the last fighter, I am really thinking that Milk leak is legit, and the final fighter is already in the game somehow, or their series is. I really think this means a spirit is getting upgraded. AT and Mii costumes won't but upgraded this pass.

I think it can either go two ways. its tieing to a big new game, so maybe aNew RE for switch and we get that, The new shantae game coming to switch and we get her, a new rayman game and we get him. Or, its a pure fanserive character like Banjo, and its Geno.

So while you guys were arguing this came up:

So, a 7/11 ad has appeared in Japan that is advertising Banjo. The date on the top right is to specify when the store should take the poster down (in this case, September 15).
Well, this exact same thing happened with Hero. A 7/11 ad appeared on July 24 with instructions to take it down on August 4, and Hero ended up being released on July 30.

Take this what you will.
That was sooner then I was thinking, but makes sense. I guess The direct could be Tuesday, then the Banjo direct/info is later this week or start of next week, with banjo released the next day. The 15th is a sunday, and Hero was released what, 5 days before the ad was going to take him down? So coming out the 10th fits

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Well I just remembered something I wrote back in February...

SNKessay.PNG

I don't think I've ever been this hyped to write an essay before.

Last edited:

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
From the looks of it, BK are very likely going to be released next week. Now the real question is how they'd go about announcing info about them and the stuff that's coming to Ultimate.
If I were to guess, Character 4 announcement this week in a direct, quick video shadowdropped for Banjo like Joker a day before his release the next week. Terry/Nakoruru/Whatever hopefully releases late December/early January.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
would you also right an essay for Nakoruru?
Sure I'll do it if she gets in.

They're my top 3 most wanted SNK characters so I'll only do the essay on the condition that it's one of them.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I... didn't even think about the songs. Niiiice. There's a ton of really good ones to choose from. Here's hoping Each Promise somehow makes it in. Elizabeth was my KoF XIII main back in the day (and it was my favorite song in the game).

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

So, a 7/11 ad has appeared in Japan that is advertising Banjo. The date on the top right is to specify when the store should take the poster down (in this case, September 15).
Well, this exact same thing happened with Hero. A 7/11 ad appeared on July 24 with instructions to take it down on August 4, and Hero ended up being released on July 30.

Take this what you will.
We getting a Smash Direct ladies and gentlemen!

Or just another Nintendo Direct likely dominated by Smash news. Seeing Banjo so soon in September would be weird but awesome.

Now will it be E3 style where they didn't even need Smash? Or will it be like last September where not even Smash saved it?

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
So guys, I have a really weird but great feeling in me. I'm super excited for Banjo and Kazooie coming to smash. They're one of the most exciting characters to be added in the series to this day personally, and I'm sure lots of people feel the same way.

But something I should confess is that I didn't actually grow up with the series. I know, I know. It's weird though. I've loved the characters and series for a while now, I first played it it a few years ago and fell in love. But the thing is, I only played the first world then stopped, and never returned. I would explain why, but that would make this post even longer.

Point is, I feel weird because I'm really excited for them, but also disappointed that I wasn't part of the community that's been supporting their inclusion for so long. I feel like I can't relate to all the passionate fans. I didn't get a lot of the references in there trailer, and to make it worse, it was the first smash reveal I've ever missed live.

But despite all that, I'm still hyped. It's so strange, but it also feels good. I've now completed the first game, and I'm working on Tooie, and I've had a blast the whole way through. What do you guys think? Is it okay to consider myself a fan of them? Or just be hyped for them in general?

also an SNK character sounds neat

D

Deleted member

Since some people aren't too keen with SNK's inclusion (for really weird and racist reasons), it should be worth noting that SNK is insanely popular in both Latin America and China. Heck, a livestream tournament of KoF 97 became the most viewed online fighting gaming event in China history in 2014. Not to mention even here in the U.S., the NEO GEO is pretty recognizable in the gaming community thanks to popular games like Metal Slug.

So no, the inclusion of an SNK would not just be Nintendo "pandering" to the Japanese community.
I’ve been saying this since like 2 months ago when I suggested Mai, but literally everyone ignored me. SNK is dumb popular in East Asia: China, Japan, Hong Kong, Korea, and Taiwan. Her outfit became a sort of uniform for Taiwanese models, and she began a fashion trend in Hong Kong in the 90s (alongside Terry and Kyo). Mai has also made 84 crossover appearances. That’s more than Ryu, more than MARIO. Yet people still wanna pretend the characters are irrelevant cause they’re not part of their own subjective sphere of influence. It’s downright annoying tbh.

Take this what you will.
I was at 7Eleven last night, and the pop displays I saw were for Astral Chain. I’ll pop by again today to see if there’s anything new.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
If this trademark thing results in a King of Fighters character added to Smash, I really, really hope that Sakurai breaks tradition and adds anyone from the series but Terry.
No offense to his fans, it's just that literally every other KoF character looks infinitely more interesting to me than he does.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I've never played KOF an SNK game in my life, so can't say I'm personally excited by these recent revelations.

Wonder if we'll get a KoF game announced during the next direct.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I've never played KOF an SNK game in my life, so can't say I'm personally excited by these recent revelations.

IIRC, XIV will come to Switch next year.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Mai has also made 84 crossover appearances. That’s more than Ryu, more than MARIO.
To be fair Nintendo doesn't really do crossovers with other companies that often. The only ones I can think of are Super Smash Bros. post Melee, Fortune Street, and that one Mario Sports title where you could be a Black Mage or a Cactuar. There was that GLA thing in Mario Kart 8 but I feel like that's more of an add to be honest.

EDIT: Oh, and that one basket ball game where everyone was based off of a real person, and then there were Mario and Luigi just as cartoony as ever.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So guys, I have a really weird but great feeling in me. I'm super excited for Banjo and Kazooie coming to smash. They're one of the most exciting characters to be added in the series to this day personally, and I'm sure lots of people feel the same way.

But something I should confess is that I didn't actually grow up with the series. I know, I know. It's weird though. I've loved the characters and series for a while now, I first played it it a few years ago and fell in love. But the thing is, I only played the first world then stopped, and never returned. I would explain why, but that would make this post even longer.

Point is, I feel weird because I'm really excited for them, but also disappointed that I wasn't part of the community that's been supporting their inclusion for so long. I feel like I can't relate to all the passionate fans. I didn't get a lot of the references in there trailer, and to make it worse, it was the first smash reveal I've ever missed live.

But despite all that, I'm still hyped. It's so strange, but it also feels good. I've now completed the first game, and I'm working on Tooie, and I've had a blast the whole way through. What do you guys think? Is it okay to consider myself a fan of them? Or just be hyped for them in general?

also an SNK character sounds neat
Of course, fans come from all places. I didn't grow up with those games either, I played them when I was older. You can love something more many reasons.

Well, KoF XV was announced last month. So maybe that coming to Switch.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I've always hated the mindset that only the best-selling and most popular stuff should be the only stuff that gets in Smash.
My sentiments exactly.

And Persona and Dragon Quest aren't even that popular anywhere outside of Japan. KOF and other SNK properties have a ton of popularity worldwide, particularly in South America. But that's besides the point, popularity and/or relevancy being the only deciding factors is a cancerous mentality that's holding Smash back. Melee gave a ton of obscure characters a chance. Smash Ultimate needs to do the same, not just with third parties but also first parties.

There's tons of SNK games on the eshop. If you haven't played Metal Slug 2 you're missing out.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Unless it's going to be a specific date for KOF XIV on the Switch, there won't be anything else from KoF, since SNK already confirmed we won't be seeing XV until next year.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
To be fair Nintendo doesn't really do crossovers with other companies that often. The only ones I can think of are Super Smash Bros. post Melee, Fortune Street, and that one Mario Sports title where you could be a Black Mage or a Cactuar. There was that GLA thing in Mario Kart 8 but I feel like that's more of an add to be honest.

EDIT: Oh, and that one basket ball game where everyone was based off of a real person, and then there were Mario and Luigi just as cartoony as ever.
download (1).jpeg

download (2).jpeg

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I know what you mean. My childhood was on the Xbox so I missed a lot of the greats.

But I also got to play Tak and the Great Juju Challenge and SSX Tricky so it all balances out.

EDIT: I also have this wierd trend of my first game in the series being everyone's least favorite (Pokémon Black 2 Version 2, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, etc.)

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I... didn't even think about the songs. Niiiice. There's a ton of really good ones to choose from. Here's hoping Each Promise somehow makes it in. Elizabeth was my KoF XIII main back in the day (and it was my favorite song in the game).

I'll honestly take anything from across KoF in terms of music as long as there's nothing from KOF 2001.

If Kyo is in, I'd expect to have the original and arranged version of Esaka? from KOF 96 along with a new remix of said track. Having a Stormy Saxophone track or two seems like a given too- probably 2 and 5. My most wanted tracks are, both original and arranged are definitely Tears and Sadistic Eyes from KOF 99.

zferolie

Smash Hero
You guys have that picture of Sabi saying they weren't going to be saying anything about the smash character, and not beleiving any fake screenshots? I want to see if thats before or after that supposed one of her saying its a KoF fighter, which completely condricts what she was saying before

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Actually, now that I think about it, KOF XI hasn't been ported to the Switch yet, but considering it's not on Neo Geo hardware unlike KOF 94 - 03, it might be a bit more difficult.

I just can't help but wonder if it's possible...

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

The exciting thing is that there are TONS of SNK games on the eShop, including I believe one of my favorites in Metal Slug X. One of the best fighters ever, Garou Mark Of The Wolves (featuring Terry!) is there as well, and the brand new Samurai Shodown is coming to Switch soon too! There's even an arcade collection! Did you know that SNK invented the concept of Boss Battles?

There are tons of ways to familiarize yourself with this awesome company even if you only have a Switch!

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I know what you mean. My childhood was on the Xbox so I missed a lot of the greats.

But I also got to play Tak and the Great Juju Challenge and SSX Tricky so it all balances out.

EDIT: I also have this wierd trend of my first game in the series being everyone's least favorite (Pokémon Black 2 Version 2, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, etc.)
Funny, Black 2 and White 2 are my favorite Pokémon games, and Brawl was my first smash (and I still love it). I've never played anniversary collection, so I'm not sure about that one. Emulators were my introduction to Mega Man.

D

Deleted member

Well about time I told my thoughts on this.

I'm hyped. Hyped beyond hype. I swear that of my female fighter quote won't be fulfilled then I would rather go for an SNK rep.

I actually didn't quite grow up with KoF or anything, so you could say I came late. Before I was into Smash, I was playing Mobile Legends (a popular mobile MOBA here in the Philippines which has skins based on KoF) and the skins there looked so good I developed a small liking for the franchise. Then I thought if KoF reps would be worthy for Smash, but I kept it to myself knowing that I'll get mostly flak. Then this entire leak showed up, and as much as I hate looking at leaks, it really had to come to this get my attention.

SNK has done so much for the FGC that it really, really, really whole-heartedly deserves its rep. They were the ones who innovated the entire crossover fighter, and to include them is symbolic of acknowledging its roots for bringing gaming characters together.

Everyone is here, they said. And I couldn't be more happier.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I guess if there's one silver lining to this for me it's that atleast an SNK rep isn't something people have been talking about a billion times and assuming are super likely...

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
So I was thinking of something. If DLC #5 is Namco... we wont be getting any fighting game characters from them. People didn't expect SNK and I think that it is very possible we get KOS-MOS IF DLC#5 is Namco. My reasoning is that SNK covers fighting games already and with that we would have Ryu and a SNK icon in the game which would effectively eliminate Heihachi or any tekken character in the pass. There's Lloyd to battle it out with KOS-MOS but I feel that is long gone since Lloyd is a sword fighter. We have so far Joker as a dagger unique user, Hero as sword mage, Banjo as a two in one character, ??? (Mai or Nakoruru) as the possible reps wont use swords... that leaves only one space left if Namco gets it and KOS-MOS would be the perfect all around fighter and given that fighter #5 is the last one maybe it will promote some future Nintendo game (Xenosaga HD? Xenoblade 3?)

I am only observing so please dont take anything I say as 100% factual truth.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So... I am very confused about Sabi. first there were fake dms, then they showed this.

Now there are pictures of them saying KoF, well just saying yes? I am confused what if anything to beleive right now.

I really don't think its Terry. Terry... really doesn't bring much to the game. Plus no KoF game to promote. Nakoruru is promoting SamSho on switch which seems to be a key thing for this dlc.

I guess one could argue she is a KoF fighter as she has appeared there a few times? Also, we sure Sabi was mistaken and wasn't saying KoF but ment just SNK in general?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Nakoruru isn’t coming guys.

We already have someone with a bird pal. Two actually. Why need more? Oversaturation of characters with friendly avians

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So... I am very confused about Sabi. first there were fake dms, then they showed this.

Now there are pictures of them saying KoF, well just saying yes? I am confused what if anything to beleive right now.

I really don't think its Terry. Terry... really doesn't bring much to the game. Plus no KoF game to promote. Nakoruru is promoting SamSho on switch which seems to be a key thing for this dlc.

I guess one could argue she is a KoF fighter as she has appeared there a few times? Also, we sure Sabi was mistaken and wasn't saying KoF but ment just SNK in general?
Nako isn’t a KoF character as she’s only ever appeared in one KoF game. Also, characters don’t need to “promote” anything, but regardless, KoF15 was already announced at EVO.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Nako isn’t a KoF character as she’s only ever appeared in one KoF game. Also, characters don’t need to “promote” anything, but regardless, KoF15 was already announced at EVO.
Just saying everyone but banjo is promoting a game. its a trend so far. I just want confirmation that they weren't confused or anything. Because just saying yes and then silent isn't helping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom